• Published 17th Feb 2014
  • 422 Views, 5 Comments

If only she knew my name - Suke



Puppy Love, ace reporter, has made a school boy error: Not asking for a name. But this isn't a matter of news for the public. No. This is a matter of love. It's the day after Hearts and Hooves, and she has no idea who the mare was last nigh

  • ...
2
 5
 422

Young Love

Puppy Love was lost. She knew exactly where she was and how to get anywhere from there, but she was still lost. You see, she was lost in a sort of emotional sense. There was a mare. A fine mare. A sweet mare. A perfect mare. A mare that poor Puppy could not live without.

“If I only knew her name.”

The desperate pegasus mare knew not what to do. Perhaps go from door to door? No, for how could she ask about a mare whose name was unknown? She had searched the crowded streets, but with no luck. Curse that party!

The party in question, co-organised by a famous fashionista and professional partier, was the sole cause for Puppy’s problem. It had been a simple masquerade party. Ponies, mares and stallions alike, wore fancy, glittery masks, magically designed to conceal any horns. There were royal looking suits and gowns too, which hid the presence of wings.

That night, she had greatly looked forward to the chance to meet new ponies. As a dedicated reporter, Puppy Love barely found the time to socialise. And, although most would disagree, she felt that her dull brown coat and naturally dirty, green and brown mane and tail made her look uninteresting. So, a night where all visuals were covered up was a wonderful opportunity.

The worst part about the whole situation was that, normally, Puppy could find anything she wanted; it was her talent. Anything she obsessed over, she could find with a natural compass. Only, when she got closer, the compass stopped working. That hadn’t stopped her before now, but this was different. This was love. Love clouded her judgement.

What little Puppy could recall from that evening’s wonderful experience were blurred at best. At some point they had ditched their party attire, and it all ended with… ‘passion’. Her memories could not seem to decide whether the mare had turned out have wings or a horn. She at least deduced that the mare had also been greatly inebriated. Why else would she have gone so far with her? Surely she hadn’t just taken advantage of her…

“No! She was too nice for that. But, then again, I was so drunk… Was it just a… a one night stand to her?”

While the reporter slowly started to doubt whether the mare had been so perfect after all, she continued her search. It was difficult, with only blurred, dark and therefore colourless images in her mind. She thought she saw the mare in a cart as it passed by, and then the train leaving town.

Finally, she came to a stop, her doubts having grown so large and heavy that they weighed her hooves down. Looking around, Puppy saw that the corner ahead of her was the last bit of Ponyville to search. After that, she will have covered every stretch of road, and every public locale, in the whole town. There was no point in leaving that one little turn out. The doubts loosened their grip on her hooves, and the pegasus walked round that last corner.

A face came into view, and all those blurred memories cleared up in an instant. No wonder she couldn’t recall the mare’s race. She was neither pegasus or unicorn.


Twilight Sparkle didn’t known what to think about last night, her head throbbing. Her memories, not unlike Puppy’s, were blurred and colourless from the lack of light. She had, however, caught a glimpse of the dirty looking mane when the Princess awoke the next morning. Embarrassingly, her initial response was to teleport into her own bed, the use of magic in her post drunken condition resulting in a headache.

After some thinking, the alicorn had realised she should have hung around. The stallion had been so nice to talk with. They had really struck it off.

“So what if, in our drunken states, we’d gone from just meeting to having-

The imagery that came to mind made Twilight blush strongly. The blood rush did nothing to help her headache. She needed some fresh air. With that in mind, Twilight exited the Library and went on a random stroll through town. It wasn’t long before she met the ‘stallion’. With her own memories flooding back, the look on the pegasus’ face helped confirm it; a look of realisation.


“T-Twilight?!” Puppy asked, horrified. “The Twilight Sparkle?!”

The thought of having done… ‘that’ with the new Princess was a terrifying one. She could banish her. Or worse; maybe even execute her. Twilight had her own questions.

“Puppy Love? That was… you? A mare?”

That last sentence took a second to sink in.

“You too, huh?”

Twilight turned away slightly, clearly ashamed of herself for hurting her feelings. To be honest, Puppy could not blame her. Puppy had a naturally deeper voice than most mares, and her frame had a masculine look to it. She could pass off as a stallion with much less effort than most.

“I’m so, so, so, so sorry!”


Seeing Puppy begging and groveling at her hooves, Twilight felt even worse. With her memories restored upon re-encountering the reporter, there was no denying that she knew Puppy had been a mare when they’d… enjoyed each other’s company. She had to say something.

“Don’t be.”

That was not what she had intended to say. It didn’t take a gifted unicorn turned alicorn princess to understand the meaning of those words. Did she really-? She couldn’t. A newly appointed princess has no time for such relationships. And what about Flash Sentry? Then again, he hasn’t made a move after all the signs she’d dropped. Even Twilight knew how unsubtle she was in that department.

Looking down at the stunned Puppy Love, one could see something similar was going through the mare’s mind. She was one of Equestria’s greatest reporters, so it wouldn’t be wrong to assume she knew about Flash Sentry.

After who knows how long, Puppy croaked, “Do you really mean that?”

The princess did have to think about it for a couple of seconds, before coming to a decision.

“Yes, I think I do.”


Puppy jumped to her hooves, ecstatic beyond belief. The Princess Twilight Sparkle had basically said she loved her. Or maybe just that what happened was completely consensual. Either way, it was a win. But, just to be sure:

“Erm… would I be able to… maybe… take you out somewhere? Because… well, I know this great place in Saddle Arabia.”

This mare wasn’t going to make the same mistake twice. Nice and slow this time. She’d heard somewhere that usually the third date is when a steady relationship goes further. It just relied on Twilight feeling the sa-

“That would be lovely, thank you.”

And that was the exact point in time that the world imploded.


The world did not actually implode. At least, nopony else’s world imploded. Just Puppy’s. To anypony else, it looked like Puppy had simply fainted, which, in all honesty, she had. Twilight Sparkle did not panic. She just smiled warmly and magically carried Puppy Love back with her to the Library.

And that was the start of a beautiful relationship.

Author's Note:

So, just to clarify: This fic's original intention was to point out that one should not give in at the first sign of doubt/trouble when it comes to possible or current relationships. Then I just did my usual thing of going somewhere else with it.

Other things to note:
This is not really serious. As in, I haven't perma-shipped Pup with Twilicorn. The lack of Dave may have hinted at that... assuming you know who Dave is... or knew that Puppy Love was a pre-existing OC of mine from another piece of fiction here on FIMFic.
The original idea didn't identify the mare, but, like I said before, I barely ever keep to the original plan. EVOLUTION, BITCH!
Lastly, this could be considered the same reality as R.D.U, and as such, I may end up working things into my 'one night one shots' so that they don't conflict. A bit (emphasis on the lack of definite-ness) like Iain M Banks' Culture Novels

CHRIST ON A BIKE this is a big A/N. Last thing, I promise. You may have noticed the title is worded differently to the lyrics. The artist did the cover on his own whim, for free. I really am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. So, I changed the title to suit the pic.

Comments ( 4 )

3956366 oh god! NO!

I see you took my advice. Well done!

3958411 yep. worked out well in the end

3958948
I'm happy to help. Anyway, it was a good one. It's easier to help when I don't need to do much. There are some changes in tense that seem out of place, but I'll let you find them :derpytongue2:. I'm busy at the moment.

Login or register to comment