• Published 21st Mar 2014
  • 4,582 Views, 87 Comments

Nightmare's Reign - NorrisThePony



Luna, with the reluctant help of Nightmare Moon, sets out to remedy her past mistakes and return the sun to Equestria. Meanwhile, Queen Chrysalis tries desperately to save her species.

  • ...
7
 87
 4,582

Dear Luna (Interlude)

Dear Luna,

It is with great care that I write you this letter, with the desperate hopes that despite the wild odds it will reach you, and you will have the desire to read it.

Where to begin? Good heavens, I have so much to tell you and yet I have no idea how to begin. Firstly, I would like to inform you that I have met your friend and traveling companion, who claims to go by the name of 'Nightmare Moon.' In her behavior, I can see your own reflected quite clearly.

That's a compliment. Tell her that.

Does it surprise you to hear me say that? I certainly hope not. I certainly hope you still realize how important you are to me, Luna, even after all that has transpired. After what you have done, at the end of the day, you are still my sister and I will always love you no matter what. But you already knew that, didn't you? Your friend has told me about the lengths you have gone to in order to repair your wrongs, about the sacrifice you were willing to make to give me the gift of life. Luna, I don't think I've ever seen you try anything stupider in my life. I'm honored, I'm touched, and believe me, I appreciate it with every fiber of my being, but ultimately I must laugh at the entire ridiculousness of the sentiment.

It isn't that I don't want life. Of course I do, I'm no fool. It isn't that I don't want our your subjects to see the sunlight again either, although I would have just as much control over that issue as you did. To put it simply, I cannot possibly justify any reason why I deserve life while you don't. I'm happy here, Luna. I've found peace, and everyday that passes is one full of positive thoughts and fond memories. I'm in a good place here.

I hope that in time, you will be too.

Do you remember the beginning? When it was just me and you and the world? Ah, how those times flew by, can you believe they were millenniums? I think so dearly of those times, they are the lifeblood of my existence. I cannot help but smile as I think of me and you, naive young fillies without a care in the world, doing the foolhardy things that young spirits will do.

There was the fear, too. (Even those memories I think of with a certain ray of fondness.) Because we might have had each other, but we were alone in the world, just ourselves in a new, vibrant realm full of wonder. There were some nights when you were frightened of lowering the moon because you were paranoid some new danger might loom on the horizon of the new day that ensued.

I suppose it was fear this time, too, that prevented you from lowering the moon. I should have been there for you, Luna. It shouldn't have built to what it did that night, and I'm sorry I let you hurt for so long.

Those carefree times had to end eventually. And when they did, my goodness, it was like suddenly we were both goddesses being smothered by offerings from every pony from all around. It's funny, really, how casually we raised and lowered the sun and moon, completely unaware of the importance of the act. Suddenly, there were responsibilities, and obligations, and chaos, and through all of this our carefree existence was all but lost. And as the centuries bled on, I realize now that we, too, became lost, separated from each other by the shadows we cast.

When I think of you, Luna, I think of that beautiful, innocent filly. The one who was my mischievous younger accomplice, the one I went to when I felt sad or angry or afraid. My best friend. I don't think of that dark shadow you became that night, because that's not what you are. You, Luna, are my sister, and nothing you could ever do to me could change that.

Whatever you do after this, Luna, I wish you the best of luck, because you are a wonderful mare and will make a fantastic leader in my stead. Whatever you become in the centuries to come, I hope you never make a mistake as grave as when you took my life all those years ago, but I know that you won't. I will not lie to you about your future, it shall be grim and sombre for a very long time, and you may have to do many things that may not seem right, but it is important to be strong and persevere.

I can write about these for all of eternity, but I fear that any more delay on your part may result in further troubles back in Equestria. You are needed there more than I need you now. These are the last words from me you'll read for a very, very long time, and I have striven to make them as positive and uplifting as I could.. We will see each other again, Luna, although how soon I can only guess. It may be many years, and I dearly hope that you live a long and happy life, even after the strife that has split it apart. But regardless, I know that in time we will meet again, and I look forward to that day more so than any other.

Wishing you the best in life,

Celestia.


P.S. Ah, wait! I'm a fool to have not mentioned this immediately! Twilight Sparkle! Remember this name, my dear sister, for it shall be a long time before it is relevant. But know that if any hope lies for the sun's return, it lies in HER hooves. If any mortal pony can wield the Element of Magic...it is her.