• Published 15th Feb 2014
  • 4,389 Views, 431 Comments

Welcome to Wherever You Are - FrozenInTime



In Twilight's time of need, only Rainbow Dash is there for the young Princess. The others seem to be mad at her for things she didn't do. An old enemy approaches, and without the Elements, it can not be stopped... can it?

  • ...
28
 431
 4,389

Chapter 5: Kindness Returns

"Well, Rainbow Dash, you should be excited." spoke Hopeful Cure.

"Why? I've been in a hospital for two nights and a day now, and today will be the second day. The only good part is that I have my two favorite mares right here with me." Rainbow's voice was back to its previous cockiness, no longer weak, and she had next to all of her strength back. The only things hindering her were her crippled wing and eye.

"But that's just it, Dashie," Twilight started, before she was cut off.

"Did you just call me Dashie?"

"Yeah! I figured since you call me Twi all the time, I should have a nickname for you. Anyway, today we finally get to go home."

"Finally! I can't wait to find Spike and give him a big hug! It's been forever since I've seen him!" Said Scootaloo excitedly. "Umm, not that... that's a cool thing to do or anything..."

Rainbow grinned at her daughter, still trying to look cool even though they were family now.

"I'm sure Rainbow is excited too, Scoots." Twilight said.

"Oh, so she gets a nickname too?" Rainbow said, half-laughing. "Don't get me wrong, I'm as excited as the next pony to live and sleep in a library and everything, but it's just... it's your home Twilight, and I don't wanna screw up any of your egghead stuff or over say my welcome."

"Oh, shut it Rainbow. You were always welcome there, even before all this, especially since you always come over to read Daring Do books. My home is your home, and it will always be that way. Of course, that goes for you too, Scoots." Twilight smiled warmly at the two Pegasi.

"But, you're going to need to get in the habit of using the door, and not just because of that wing." Twilight continued, bringing back memories of the constant break-ins and crashes into the Golden Oaks Library, carried out by none other than the cyan Pegasus in front of her. Twilight gave an accusing glare, and Rainbow responded with an innocent smile that soon had them all laughing.

"Which reminds me, you could have closed my window on the way out you know." Twilight said, still laughing. Rainbow, however, immediately stopped when she heard this, and her face flushed at being caught, a nervous smile crossing her face.

"I, uh, have no idea what you're talking about." Rainbow said like she was actually trying to cover it up.

"Oh, I'm sure the charming Dashie can figure it out," teased Hopeful Cure. Twilight felt the slightest hint of anger at this statement, though she was unsure why. Rainbow Dash spoke up before the doctor could continue.

"Okay, first of all, only Twilight can call me Dashie. No one else. It's just weird when you do it. Second, you are not my type, if you know what I mean." Rainbow said calmly.

"She likes mares." Twilight whispered loudly across the room at the doctor. Rainbow's calm tone faded immediately.

"Yes, thank you Twilight, because I'm sure that he didn't get it." Everyone in the room except Rainbow started laughing again. She wore an annoyed expression on her face, which faded to a slight smile after a few seconds.

"Well, uh, I recommend that you change the bandages at least once every two days. Contact us right away if the pain in your eye returns. Good luck you two!" Hopeful said as he left the room.

Twilight wrapped a wing around Rainbow, helping her get off the hospital bed and on her hooves. A chill went down her spine as Twilight playfully extended her wing to make it touch Rainbow's opposite wing. Twilight let out a soft giggle when she saw Rainbow blush again.

Meanwhile

"I still can't believe she didn't let us in!" Rarity said disgustedly.

"I still can't believe Rainbow Dash is defending her! Even after what Twilight said to all of us that day... what was it again, Pinkie? I done forgot..." Applejack said coyly.

"*Ahem.* I don't need all this pressure, and I don't need you! I never want to see you again!" Pinkie said, copying Twilight's voice perfectly.

"Umm... have you maybe, just possibly considered... that she was having a bad day?" Fluttershy said in her normal, soft voice. The other three looked at her, but quickly looked away when they remembered how she had stared all three of them down a day and a half ago.

"I mean, Twilight would never say something like that and mean it. Maybe she was stressed from all the new responsibilities she had. Being a princess probably isn't an easy thing."

"She seemed like she meant it to me." said Rarity.

"Hold up a minute Rarity. Maybe Fluttershy has a point. I mean, we never even asked her for an explanation. This wouldn't be the first time we stubbornly misjudged her and shut her out." Applejack said.

"Did you see the way she cried after you said those things to her, Applejack? I think she might have been trying to apologize." said Fluttershy.

"Well, I think she was just trying to rub it in our faces." said Rarity. "Don't forget what she said about Big Macintosh and Apple Bloom."

A fresh expression of anger crossed Applejack's face.

"Oh I remember alright."

"*Ahem.* Big Macintosh is a silent nobody and Apple Bloom is a talkative brat!" Pinkie impersonated Twilight's voice again.

"Yeah Fluttershy, how do you feel now, knowing what she said about your crush?...... Fluttershy?" Applejack turned to see that Fluttershy was gone.

"I can't believe that Lavender pony ruined my plans again!" Queen Chrysalis hit the red cave wall with her hoof, cracking the wall. She began pacing the cave room.

"I need some way to gain more power. It has clearly waned away since our invasion of Canterlot. I need a new plan. Perhaps, once I gain enough power, I could enthrall the little Twilight Sparkle. That kind of magic at my disposal would be grand! But... I would not be able to control it. Perhaps I will just kill her when I capture her. That way, she will no longer interfere with my plans!"

A Changeling quickly ran into the cave room, bowing before the Queen, and delivering his message.

"My Queen, I proudly report that we have captured the annoying Unicorn! She no longer risks blowing our cover."

"Excellent. Bring her here. I wish to extract what knowledge I can before I consume her energy. I have heard she has adept magical ability."

"Yes, right away!" the Changeling ran off, returning a few moments later with another Changeling, and the two were carrying their prize by the forelegs. Her rear legs were scraping against the ground behind her, as she was extremely weak. When they arrived in front if their Queen, they carelessly dropped their cargo, bowed, and ran off again. She was on her front legs, the back ones still flat on the ground.

Queen Chrysalis raised the Unicorn's head by placing a hoof under her chin and lifting.

"This will be so much easier if you do everything I say and answer everything I ask. If you do not cooperate, this will be much harder and more painful for you. Understand?"

No response. Queen Chrysalis asked the first question anyway.

"What do you know about Twilight Sparkle? We have seen you talking to her on several different occasions."

"The Great... and Powerful Trixie... does not consort... with monsters..."

"Your choice." Chrysalis knocked her purple hat off with her hoof, and her horn began glowing a sickening green. She began lowering her horn to the Unicorn's.

The screams of pain and agony would have been heard for miles around, if the Badlands were inhabited by any intelligent creatures.

Twilight magically opened the door, and Scootaloo quickly bolted inside. Twilight still had a wing around Rainbow Dash, helping her walk inside the library. By the time they took three steps, Scootaloo had darted up the stairs.

As the two walked up after her, they saw a certain baby dragon being crushed by a deadly Scootaloo hug.

"I've missed you so much Spike! How've ya been?!"

"Ach... can't... breathe..."

Scootaloo quickly released her death grip, and Spike was left gasping for air. Twilight and Rainbow couldn't help but laugh at the hyper little Pegasus.

"Uh, Twilight? Mind explaining the situation?" Spike asked as he finally regained his breath. "You still haven't told me anything, and all I got was a letter saying you would be at the hospital for a while."

"Well Spike, Rainbow Dash was attacked by Queen Chrysalis."

"Queen Whosawhatnow?"

"Oh, that's right, you've never heard her name. She's the Changeling Queen. You remember, the one who impersonated Cadance?" Twilight explained.

"Oh yeah, I remember! So, uh, how did you survive that? You look pretty beat up Rainbow." Spike decided to be observant.

"It was awesome!" Scootaloo bounced around excitedly. Until now, she was taking in everything the library had to offer, from the massive assortment of books to the pseudo-simple alembic on the table, to Owlicious.

"Twilight saved my sorry flank." Rainbow said hesitantly. "All that magic was pretty impressive, but she must've ran at least four miles with me on her back, and that's not including the distance to the hospital!"

"I don't think it was quite that far Dashie." Twilight said, laughing softly.

"Whoa, Dashie?"Spike's eyes widened at the nickname, and he was clearly struggling not to laugh.

"Long story." Twilight said.

"Oh, I see. You two are..."

"NO." Rainbow said sternly.

"Oh come on, you can't expect me to not think that with that name, and the feather in Twilight's mane, and the way her wing is around you..." Spike continued.

Twilight blushed and reached a hoof up to cover the feather. She also retracted her wing sharply, accidently touching Rainbow's damaged wing. She winced in pain and let out a slight groan as her gaze dropped to the floor.

"Oh, sorry! Sorry! I didn't mean..."

"It's fine, Twi. It was an accident." Rainbow looked up and smiled at Twilight.

All this time, Scootaloo was still exploring the library, not paying attention to anything that was happening.

"So, anyway, Rainbow's wing was damaged as you can see. Since she can't fly, her and Scootaloo are going to stay here for a while. I hope you don't mind feeding two extra mouths Spike." Twilight said to her #1 assistant.

"Pshh. No problem!" Spike said.

A sudden knock on the door got Twilight's attention away from her friends.

"Oh, I'll get that." She desperately needed this excuse to let the heat in her face die down.

She trotted down the stairs and to the door, quickly opening it.

"Fluttershy? What are you..."

"I can't stand those three anymore! They won't stop going on about how they think you're terrible and I hate it!"

Fluttershy wrapped Twilight in a hug, with both forelegs and wings.

"I know you aren't a bad pony Twilight. I came here to cool off. I don't have the patience to deal with Discord right now."

As Fluttershy released the hug, Twilight was baffled. Fluttershy was still her friend! This was great news! But at the same time, Twilight knew it must have been brutal if Fluttershy didn't have the patience for something. As the two walked upstairs, Rainbow and Spike, who were both in the center of the room, snapped their gaze to the two ponies.

"Fluttershy?" The two said in unison.

"Oh, uh, hi Rainbow. I didn't know you were here."

"Is it a problem if I'm here?!" Rainbow said harshly.

"Oh no no no! It's just I didn't expect to see you here, that's all."

Rainbow went over to Twilight and wrapped her good wing around her.

"Yeah, since I can't fly, Twilight has graciously offered her home to me. She's a good friend like that."

"Okay, it looks like both of you have some explaining to do to each other!" Twilight said.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the longer-than-usual wait for this chapter. Hope you enjoyed!