• Published 15th Feb 2014
  • 4,389 Views, 431 Comments

Welcome to Wherever You Are - FrozenInTime



In Twilight's time of need, only Rainbow Dash is there for the young Princess. The others seem to be mad at her for things she didn't do. An old enemy approaches, and without the Elements, it can not be stopped... can it?

  • ...
28
 431
 4,389

Chapter 9: Dreamwalk

Twilight found herself in her own artificial nightmare, but this was not nearly has bad as the one Rainbow was in. This is partially due to Twilight being virtually untouched by Chrysalis' magic. It is also due to her multiple training sessions on these very events.

Artificial nightmares allow a pony to be fully self-aware in their dreams, adding to the realness of the dream, thus unnerving the target even further. Subconscious self-awareness can be induced by magic in other ways, but can be considered dangerous, as ponies could lose their ability to tell reality apart from dreams.

Twilight walked through the empty black void with purple light flowing from her horn. She headed towards a small green light, which was the only thing visible. This wasn't much of a nightmare, as the corrupted magic of Chrysalis was too weak to get a hold on Twilight's mind.

She stopped a few hooves away from a small green orb that was hovering over the ground. She could feel it: this was the source of corruption in Twilight's mind.

Not very impressive.

Wit masterful precision, she shot a purple beam into the orb and began to disassemble it from the inside. After just a few seconds, the orb faded away, and the dream world began to twist and turn. She was returning to reality.

"RAINBOW DASH, WE-" Luna covered her mouth with a hoof, and cleared her throat. "Sorry. I need you to listen closely, as I have limited time in this realm."

"Princess Luna! What's going on here?!"

"You are in a nightmare, Rainbow Dash. A nightmare caused my the magic of Queen Chrysalis. She is attempting to... enthrall you."

"Enth- what?"

"She will brainwash you and force you to work with the Changelings. She will succeed unless the source of the magic is destroyed."

"Okay, how the hay do I do that?"

"That is the issue: you cannot. Destroying the magic requires-"

"Let me guess. Magic."

"Exactly! I regret to say that I also cannot purge this magic from you. If I tried, your mind would reject my magic and likely kill us both. Which leaves only one possible solution. Twilight Sparkle must Dreamwalk into your mind and do what I cannot."

"How is Twilight able to do it and not you?"

"The pony doing the spell must be very close to the target's heart, moth physically and mentally. I am currently in Canterlot. If I understand the situation, you currently live with Twilight Sparkle, and you two are... close."

Luna's dream form began to twist and distort, signaling that her time was up.

"I'm out of time in this realm! Rainbow, you must... tell Twilight... what I have told you!"

The dream world entirely distorted into nothingness, sending Rainbow Dash back to reality.

Princess Luna's eyes snapped open and her wings flared outwards, only to find herself still on the floor of the throne room. Princess Celestia was no longer there.

Luna had no idea what time it was, but it still seemed to be night time.

Rainbow awoke with a sharp gasp, and her breathing was labored. She found herself trembling uncontrollably. That is, until a familiar pair of hooves and wings wrapped around her waist.

"Shhh, it's okay Dashie, it was just a nightmare... I'm here for you..."

"No, it wasn't just a nightmare!" Rainbow flipped around in Twilight's grip, now facing her. She wrapped her own hooves around Twilight for comfort.

Twilight didn't need to be told twice, especially after seeing the horrified expression on Rainbow's face. She knew right then and there that Rainbow was having a Chrysalis-induced artificial nightmare, undoubtedly one much worse than the one she had. Especially since hers wasn't really a nightmare, more like just a large black void. "Calm down, Rainbow. Just tell me what happened."

"I was at Sweet Apple Acres, and you were there, and you were dead, but you came back and you were a Changeling and Queen Chrysalis was there and then Luna was there and she blasted Chrysalis and told me you need to Dreamwalk in my brain before she inthalls me!" Rainbow said in a long-winded sentence.

"You mean enthrall?"

"Yeah, that was it!"

Twilight took a moment to absorb the meaning of Rainbow's words. Once it had sunk in, she came to a quick conclusion.

The two mares were in the living room where they had eaten the previous night. The first signs of dawn were peeking over the horizon. Rainbow Dash was lying on Twilight's red couch, as Twilight sifted through what seemed to be hundreds of books.

"Twi, I'm sooooo boooored!"

"History of Equestria, no... Principals of Pegasus Magic, no... Aha! Here it is! Equestrian Bestiary, 3rd Edition! Now, just need to find "Changeling..."

"Uh, no offence Twi, but I have no idea what you're trying to do. I thought you already knew, like, every spell ever."

"That's too far from the truth to possibly try to explain to you, Rainbow Dash. I know the Dreamwalking spell, but I don't know what to expect in your mind from Changeling magic if it's as powerful as Princess Luna thinks it is."

Rainbow raised her head off the sofa to look at Twilight, and raised a hoof. "Twi, I'm sure it's nothing you can't handle. You're still awesome when it comes to magic stuff."

"Well I'm glad you think so, but... Oh! Alright! I know what I need to do. Just a few modifications to the Anti-illusion spell..."

Rainbow let her head and hoof slump back down as she let out a loud groan.

"Oh, shush. I think we're ready to get started."

"Finally! But... seriously, why did you need that book?"

"I was trying to find a spell that could protect me from Changeling magic while I'm in your head, and I found it. You see, Changelings can spread their mind-altering magic like a disease if they have enough power." A purple aura surrounded Twilight, and disappeared after a few seconds.

"Now, are you ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be to have somepony destroy something in my brain."

Twilight sighed, and looked a bit sad. Rainbow picked right up on it.

"Oh, I was just kidding, Twi. Honestly, I wouldn't have anypony else do this. I trust you completely."

"Thanks, Rainbow... that actually means a lot."

"Now, enough of the touchy feely stuff. Let's get this over with!"

"Alright, alright. First, a simple sleeping spell."

Twilight lit her horn slightly, and two beams of lavender energy slowly drifted forwards and into Rainbow's eyes. They slowly began to close, and it was only seconds before she was out.

Twilight couldn't help but watch Rainbow's sleeping form with a warm smile, as she watched the steady rise and fall of her chest.

I guess I know how to pick 'em.

Twilight nodded, and began focusing her magical energy. She sat down in front of the couch and slowly lowered her head, gently meeting her horn with Rainbow's forehead. Both pairs of eyes snapped open, revealing nothing but white in both Twilight's and Rainbow's. Everything seemed to zoom forward into nothing.

The purple Alicorn slowly opened her eyes. She was definitely no longer in the Golden Oaks Library, or even in the main part of Ponyville. She was in Sweet Apple Acres.

She slowly and somewhat unsteadily rose to her hooves. After letting out a yawn, she looked around until she saw the Apple family home and barn. Seeing no other immediate options, she began to walk towards it. She stopped dead in her tracks, however, when she realized where she really was.

Wait... it worked! I'm in Rainbow Dash's subconscious!

She excitedly ran forward, slowing down when she saw the cyan Pegasus just inside the doors of the barn. Two purple, slit-pupil eyes peered at her through the darkness before disappearing.

Getting closer, she heard sobs. Twilight knew they were Rainbow's sobs, and was shocked at this fact alone. Rainbow almost never cried! What could possibly be wrong?

Twilight was now right next to Rainbow, and was terrified when she saw it. Rainbow's head was down, her eyes closed, with a small pool of tears in front of her. The terrifying part was seeing her own corpse in front of Rainbow.

"Dashie, it's okay! Look, I'm alive, see?" Twilight waved her hooves in front of Rainbow, also nudging her a few times, with no response. She sat down next to the distraught Pegasus, stroking her back, although she was unsure Rainbow even noticed.

After a few moments, Rainbow spoke. "Why? Why her? Couldn't it have been anypony else? Couldn't it have been me?"

"Rainbow, can you hear me?! I'm alive and well, look!" Still no sign that Rainbow even heard her.

"I... I never even got to tell her...








...I love her..."

Twilight was unable to move in any way for what seemed like forever, but was probably a few seconds. It was impossible to really tell in the dream world.

Rainbow Dash... loves me?

Twilight was alerted by a crackling sound. She looked around to see everything in existence cracking and falling into a black void. Still unable to move, the very ground beneath the two (plus a corpse) vanished, leaving them in the void of nothingness.

Finally mustering the strength to stand and look around, she saw it; a bright green light in the distance.

Right. Much more pressing matters to attend to! If I don't do this, Rainbow could... I don't want to think about it.

Before she took off for the magic core, she turned back to Rainbow.

"Don't worry, Dashie. I won't let you down. I... I won't. Your trust in me will not be in vain. I promise." Twilight didn't care if Rainbow couldn't hear her, she still felt better for saying that.

Turning again, she headed for the corrupted magical core.