• Published 14th Feb 2014
  • 1,792 Views, 75 Comments

Tales in Stone - TDR



Collection of stories based on the Stories in stone universe.

  • ...
2
 75
 1,792

Centuries Part 2 [By TDR]

Stories in Stone
Tales in Stone
By TDR

Centuries
Part 2

To my 'perhaps not so much as I thought' idiotic son, Krisis.


Imagine my surprise when I received a letter from you. Particularly after our last falling out over the state of affairs here in Cindervale. Given your mindset and admittance to the Flame party and Forgescale's army, I expected that we would never converse again with out some sort of loaded political nonsense between us.

I may not have been the best mother, but I would like to think I had taught you something of the world. Granted reading of your accomplishments, though I still object to the targets, has shown that you did remember some of what I taught you. I can say the same of your sister Starscream, though I dislike how either of you go about it. The skill you two have displayed would have been better suited to our ongoing conflict with the Linnorm to the north rather than some misguided superiority and racial cleansing that the Flame Party spouts on about.

Which brings me to your letter. It seems something has shaken the belief that was crammed into your skull rather heavily. That you have seen something, or some pony, that has shaken you enough to question why you are even fighting, amuses me. Particularly when it is enough for you to ask me for advice despite our disagreements and my standing opposed to Forgescale and the Flame Party.

Now that all the taunting and stuck up 'I told you so' nonsense is past, there is really only one bit of advice I can give to you in regard to what you ask. You have shown you won't listen to me, and real life experience seems to be the only way you learn. So here's what you do, go find this Vermillion Rose again and speak with her. Ask her why she fights, where she finds the power to stand up to and defeat creatures far stronger than she is. I could tell you of the strength of ponies from all they have done and our own history with them, but I think it better if you get the information straight from the horses mouth.


Love,

Mom


P.S. I was right, I couldn't reread that last line with a straight face. Rahs stormed out when I was writing it grumbling about puns again. He says hello by the way. Well actually he said something about wondering if his stupid stepson had finally gotten a clue and wondering how many drakes he was going to have to murder to keep our daughter from sleeping with all of them, but that's another complaint for a different letter.

*************

Krisis sat back against the wall of his cave, looking at the scroll one last time before rolling it up with a sigh. He hadn't expected anything to come of it, he had sent the letter a good while back in a panic after his loss and the confusion over it. He had kept the scroll with him, being rather paranoid of even receiving the parchment.

Forgescale considered him a son, Forgescale's actual sons and daughters, hated him, but after what he had done to Snarlfang they were all afraid of him. Well Silver Claw wasn't afraid of him, quite the opposite it seemed given how the young drake tried to emulate him. Granted the young red dragon was barely old to to be out of schooling, let alone fighting a war as he was.

Given how the other seven children, formerly eight and not counting Silverclaw, were out for his blood, all it would take was one screw up and he was finished. The letter he sent showed his doubts about the direction the war was going and the belief in it at all. The letter he received was just as damning, and he did not need any focus on him at all right now. Particularly after that last raid.

====================================================

[ 2 days Prior ]

Stone shattered crumbling down with the roar of an avalanche punctuated by the screams of those caught in the collapse. Shouts of pony Guard commanders running around filled the air as the titanic red dragon plowed though the wall as if it was little more than a child’s sand castle against a wave.

The great beast strode through the rubble, his scales glowing with a heat that rivaled the sun radiating from his form. The ponies in the keep rushed about around him, bolts and catapult shots striking futility against his scales, the few pegasi foolhardy enough to attack him directly barely got into range with their weapons before their wings caught fire from the heat of the dragon alone. A sweep of his tail ripped a larger hole in the wall and knocked a number of ponies across the courtyard, their flaming forms crashing into tents and other structures, starting a blazing fires within them adding to the chaos.

Forgescale the Terrible, or the Titan dependent on what side of his anger you were on, roared. The very sound seeming to make the air itself quake in fear and sending a host of Guards ponies into a panic, scattering them to the winds away from him, fear gripping their hearts as they ran. None could stand against him, none could match the raw power he brought to bear. This was what it meant to be a dragon god. Those that tried quickly found out their folly briefly before they found their end.

On a ridge on the other side of the woods a pair of dragons watched the scene as the minions of the Dragon Empire ran through the trees towards the rampaging dragon, they would never make it before the dragon god was finished, but they could aid in the clean up.

“Shards! We've been lashing out at that place for weeks with barely a scrap of ground gained and he shows up and waltz's in like he's knocking over a playing card tower.” A blue dragoness snorts. “ Why are we even fighting, when he can do that?”

“Likely so you can watch his tail while he rips into the castle walls.” The orange scaled dragon sitting next to her chuckles. “Besides he can't do this all the time, if he did he'd walk right into a trap made to take him out like Onyx Wing did.”

“Please do not compare him to that pervert. Onyx Wing got caught because he paused to fuck some pony. He's lucky you saved his tail.”

“I was told to save him, he's useful and even with his oddities he is still one of the Dragon Gods. Why don't you go shake your tail at him, maybe change him back to a proper dragon lover?”

The blue scaled female growls.

“If you weren’t my brother Krisis I’d hand you your own wings for that. You know damn well what power that pile of droppings has over anything with his blood. None of my eggs are going to be any where near that slaver if I can help it. ”

“You mean half brother Starscream, and that would still only be a valid threat if you could beat me. Which you can't.” Krisis smirks getting an annoyed snort from the dragoness next to him.

“At least I fight with honor instead of all that vile skulking about you do.”Starscream grumbles.

“Someone has to do it.” Krisis sighs adjusting one of the ram hide pouches hanging over his chest. “It's a necessary skill, some of us have to gather Intel and preform sabotage in a war. I just happen to be good at it. Forgescale thinks so as well, and are you seriously going to argue with him?”

“Maybe about who gets to be on top.”

“Better hope it's you cause he's four times your size normally. Also. Ugh. I did not need that mental image, don't you have enough egg clutches?”

“Only three...”

“This season.”

“Yeah well it's not like I have to hatch them. It's also not like more young wouldn't be appreciated given how many we've lost.” Starscream mutters.” And it is not as if you would even know which end of the female to stick it in if you had the chance.”

“Whatever and now you're trying your claw for Forgescale hmm? Might fit given how he doesn't seem interested in any one female for long and you don't stay with any one male long. You'll make lovely purple babies if he doesn't squish you.” Krisis grins, ducking a swing of the blue females wing. “ Come on. It's time to go clean up after him, put on your best flirty face Starscream and maybe he'll be happy to mount you in the rubble.”

The orange dragon shrunk down as he dove off the cliff dodging the blast of lightning his half sister shot at him. It would have hurt if it hit as he was only partially immune to the lightning and flame, but she wasn't really aiming at him either, which was good as there was no creature that could fly and fight in the air better than Starscream. On the ground and with time to plan, even if it was only moments nothing stood a chance against him, but he was never as strong a flier as others. So he had to be smarter.

Where he had needed to strangle one of Forgescale's sons to death with his own entrails, her skill, and possibly her loose mating practices, put her rather quickly into the position of Air Commander. The two of them flew over the forest claws brushing the tree tops as they moved towards the larger red dragon who was simply looking around the ruins of the keep below him with some small interest as if wondering if there was anything else to destroy.

The pair of them flew up perching on two sections of the wall that hadn’t been collapsed. Looking around as well for any other trouble.

There was little left of the keep. What wasn't crushed or burning was being swarmed over by the lesser creatures, the dragons conscripted, Orcs, Rams, and the like.

“Did any even try to surrender?” Krisis questions.

“Not to me, no.” Forgescale rumbled. “A number of them fled however so that was good enough. Krisis take some of the minions and scout the buildings you can get into. There is likely some Intel of worth here unless I accidentally burned it all.”

“Of course sir,” Krisis leans to move though he hesitates. “Might I pose a question first?” Krisis asks looking up at the massive dragon.

“Be quick, I do not wish for any of them to mount another attack.” Forgescale grumbles.

“Why are just the three of us out here? I am sure your actual whelps would be eager to give you back up.” Krisis responds.

Forgescale turns looking at the smaller dragon for a moment before a wide grin crosses the titanic dragons features.

“Why do you fight for me Krisis, what is your goal?”

The orange dragon blinks looking up at him in surprise before lowering his head a little one claw reaching up to scratch between his horns.

“To win this war, to end the domination of the ponies that hold sway of the heavens themselves to return them to the rightful owner ship of the strongest who can use them properly without fear of the power being stolen, as it was taken from both the griffon and the ponies before. With the greatest power held by one race the other races would be forced to submit and thus the weaker races would know peace. This is why we don't kill those that surrender or run, they are to be ruled properly and guided, not destroyed.”

“Straight out of the pamphlet. Though by no means incorrect. The griffons have shown that power will easily corrupt them and they will seek only their own gain. The ponies have shown that they are treacherous, spiteful and weak, the Dogs are worse than the griffons and the Zebra's are in no state to rule themselves, let alone anything else.“ Forgescale states, his voice rumbling. “ All of them will fight over nothing because it is their nature unless forced to be peaceful by a stronger force. That is us. Now then what do you think my children would do if they were given power over the sun and the moon. Or the other races without proper guidance?”

“Abuse the power, they seek it for their own ends, it is easy to see they care not for any one but themselves. Most take no prisoners nor do they let those fleeing escape. They seek to destroy and conquer.” Krisis admits. “ There are a few who actual follow the proper doctrine on their own.”

“Indeed. I am sure any of them would willingly slit my throat for a taste of my power. There are scant few I can trust at this point to truly watch my back when I need to work out some kinks. I cannot sit idly by all the time and watch.” Forgescale rumbles. “ There are perhaps three I can trust explicitly and one of those is opposed to my plans, the other practically worships me, and the last is you.”

Krisis blinks a moment looking up at him in surprise only to be distracted by a loud cough and an annoyed look from Starscream still sitting nearby.

“So why am I here then if you don't trust me?” she snaps.

“Ah I do my pretty little gem. While not as much as Krisis, I know what you want and it is something I am not unwilling to give to keep you loyal. “ He reached a claw up tracing it along the blue dragons neck scale, her muzzle turning a bit purple from the blush.

“Ugh, okay can you please not flirt with my sister while I’m here?” Krisis gags.

“Half sister....” Starscream snaps back annoyed at the interruption.

“Hah. Apologies, at any rate the ponies have much to account for. They sealed myself and my eldest son away in Tartarus along with his bride, and when we escaped he was destroyed along with his kingdom by the pair of sisters that rule Equestria now. If they can do that then attacking them directly at their home would be foolish, even as I am they could likely vanquish me and I would never have my vengeance on them or the Night's predecessor. “ Forgescale snarls at the mention of the one who came before Luna. It was not the first time he had focused on who ever it was and it was clear when he thought about that mysterious pony his anger was barely containable. “If one should fall I could easily have the kingdom, but since that is unlikely clearing out their forces until they are forced to surrender is our best option, though it makes for a longer battle.”

“It is said that they are lesser than us, their only worth is as food and slaves....If that is all we have for them I do not think they shall be surrendering any time soon. “ Starscream adds.

“While they are less than us there are a number of them that are quite exceptional, a few I have even trusted with my life, and would again if not for what transpired. Of those I trusted one's betray is a reason for this, and the other is no longer even a pony. Two of them are even sealed away in Canterlot. Prisoners of Stone on display like some sort of trophy in their gardens. With the sisters fall I will see them free and justice paid for their false punishment. For what she has done, misled or not, Celestia is to die.” Forgescale looks down at the orange dragon. “ It sounds if you are having something of a crisis of faith regarding this mission. Has your mother finally gotten to you?”

“No more than usual, it is likely nothing, you know my tendency to over think everything. You have answered my question sir. Thank you.” Krisis nods.

“Do what you believe is right Krisis, I bear your mother no ill will and will agree she raises a number of points for me to consider. She has not seen what I have however and the path I have chosen is the correct one, in time she will see that.” Forgescale grumbles turning away from the two and flapping his wings hard kicking up dust and ash as he lifts off the ground. The massive red dragon god launching into the air his form shrinking slightly as he rose to aid in his flying. It still amazed Krisis that Forgescale could alter his size as he did. The orange dragon knew the ability but he could grow no larger than his normal size, but he could shrink down to the size of a foal if need be, something that most dragons would not even think to do. Still the larger Forgescale got the less maneuverability he had in the air and on the ground, but he got stronger and tougher as a result. Though even his normal form was twice the size of Krisis at his best and was still much larger than his sister.

“Continue your scouting here Krisis ,see if there are any useful documents in the keeps remains. The horde can back you up. Come little gem I’ve worked down my ire and up my appetite.”

“Hope you plan to buy me dinner first.” Starscream grins sticking her tongue out at Krisis as she flies off with Forgescale.

“Lovely. I get the work and my half sister gets to be her usual slut of a self.” Krisis grumbled shouting a few orders for the Orcs and the Rams to start checking for survivors in the outlying ruins. The orange dragon himself moved into the half collapsed, and still burning rubble of what he knew to be the main tower of the keep. Having scouted this place numerous times he was sure he knew where the most important documents would be kept, orders, troop movements, forward plans and the like. He only hoped Forgescale hadn't burned them in his rampage.

Still he had no small swelling of pride to know he had the fire gods trust. But that pride was stymied by the other information he had been given. Forgescale all but admitted most of the teachings were propaganda and were, if not wrong, heavily altered to suit whatever dragon wrote the information. The great dragon had even admitted that he had been bested before by ponies and feared it happening again. That he had been friends with them at one point to feel betrayed enough to seek vengeance. He was unsure who the other friends he spoke of were, save one. He knew of Forgescale's contact with the Sea ponies and their Queen Aqua. It was clear that the mare was unhinged, he claim that the monstrous whale like creature that served her was named Andree and was actually her consort was proof enough of that.

There was clearly something wrong with her. Years ago she had claimed the worlds waters as soly hers, demanding ridiculous tariffs and possession of everything on the land that her waves could wash over, which was every city and town at sea level any where. Given the frighting power she had displayed with this proclamation it was unlikely any could contest her. Forgescale had gone to speak with her and she had relented on her claims outright. That had been the first jump start to Forgescale's rise to power. He had calmed the sea with little more than words.

But that was all in the past, the war was now and it now seemed to Krisis that it was all about revenge. Was there really something more to ponies? Some sort of power that they had that made them as strong if not stronger than the greatest of dragons? He knew he could take Forgescale's words as truth, the dragon god had no reason to lie about his goals. He needed a plan to cope with this worry he had, but what he needed most was more information so he might formulate one. He had to know the truth of the matter. What did Forgescale mean by there were those he had trusted with his life? His eldest son and bride were sealed away and his son destroyed? Why would that happen, when did that happen? As far as Krisis knew his eldest son was a fat snob of a red dragon back in Cindervale trying to drum up war support. Who were the other two sealed in stone at Canterlot that he claimed he could trust with his life? And the one that was no longer a pony?

He knew why the other dragons fought, power, land, control even honor to what ever Dragons Code they had. Forgescale seemed more noble than that before, but was his reason truly little more than revenge? And did knowing that even really change anything?

His mind wandered back to the scroll he had received from his mother, and the mare that made him send the letter in the first place.

His mother had told him to seek her out to ask her why she fought, how she was as strong as she was. Thoughts of his mother, Wisp Wing, bothered him as well. She hated what Forgescale was doing as did a number of others. Why was there such opposition if this was really the true path? Forgescale believed she was wrong, but what if she was not?

He shook his head hard enough for his scales to rattle shrinking down to pony size to fit into the keep's door with a low growl. He was over thinking again. He had a mission to do now, carrying on this line of thinking was pointless until he met the mare again. There was no telling when that might be in the middle of a war like this. She might even be killed before he got a chance negating everything.

It was not like he was just going to trip over her the first time he went out.

Krisis yelps as his fore claw catches on a bit of rubble sending the distracted orange drake tumbling to the floor with a series of curses. Scrambling back to his claws he turned to glare at the rubble he tripped over in his distraction his eyes widening.

“Shards...... you have got to be screwing with me.”

There in the rubble, was a battered, bloodied, but still breathing, earth pony mare he instantly recognized. The one that had started this whole line of thinking that had him questioning Forgescale.

Vermillion Rose.

================================================

That had been two days ago. He had taken the mare and tucked her into one of his pouches secreting her back to the cave in the mountains on the front lines he had claimed as his own. He had tended her wounds as best he could after gaining a book on pony medicine from one of the scribes with some vague excuse about needing it for a mission. He had reported back to Forgescale, having not found any real information before being dismissed. A small bit of time with his half sister had devolved into reminiscing of the size of Forgescale's …. 'dragon hood' and he quickly fled from that conversation as well.

Luckily all of it gave him an excuse to hide himself away for a little while. A secret plan, his sister's bragging, nothing any dragon would think twice about when regarding him. He still had to hide the mare away when Silverclaw paid him a visit from time to time for practice with his own size changing abilities, but Krisis was left alone other wise.

In his panic he wrote his mother again explaining what had happened, binding it with a spell that would cause it to detonate if any one other than her tried to open it. He regretted taking such a precaution as it was costly and to any one who looked simply screamed out something was important with the letter.

In the end until he received a letter back all he could do was wait for the mare to wake up so he could talk to her.

His gaze fell to the armor and the sword she had on her that he had brought with her. Such a weapon was rare even during the war.

It was forged by a draconic traitor for the Ponies....... or perhaps one who simply wanted to help them save themselves. He knew nothing about the weapons, only that they often broke when the wielder was killed and even when they did not, they became far to fragile to ever be used again. It would be something else he wanted to ask her about.

But here was a mare who had fought him to a standstill wielding one of these blades. Was this the source of her power, her strength? Or was she given the weapon because of the strength and power she had?

He drew the blade looking it over as it shimmered in the faint fire light of his cave. There was only one thing he was sure of, his life was not likely to be the same after this. Whether he was caught with the mare in his possession or not.