• Published 23rd Mar 2012
  • 2,262 Views, 40 Comments

The Cost of Utopia - Dr Freedom MLP



Is there such a thing as utopia? Or is there only dystopia? Government, war, and drama to follow.

  • ...
6
 40
 2,262

Chapter 4

“People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people.”
― Alan Moore, V for Vendetta

Chapter 4
______________________________________________________________________________

Although the Everfree forest was somewhat scary, the six had gotten used to it, what with going to visit Zecora and their countless adventures that always seemed to drag them into its depths.

Pinkie giggled. “Hey girls, do you remember when we were scared out of our minds to come in here? We were so silly back then, weren’t we!?” she said, giggling again after she finished.

“Well we kind of had good reasons to be afraid,” Twilight replied, then shuddered as she remembered the cockatrice ordeal from earlier that year.

“So what d’ya want to go see Zecora for, Twilight?” Applejack asked.

“For the same reason as Fluttershy: she will have a different view on things. Plus, I’ve been meaning to write a book about her and where she comes from. I hope that it will teach ponies to not be so scared of others just because they come from different places. At least that’s the idea.” She seemed quite excited to be writing a book for once instead of reading one.

“Oh that’s marvelous, my dear! If you ever need someone to look it over and edit it, I’d be more than happy to help.” Rarity was practically beaming at the news. “I’ve been waiting so long for you to decide to actually write something instead of just reading. I want to help as much as I can.”

“Thanks Rarity.” Twilight returned the smile..”That means a lot to me.”

“Well, as touching as this moment is, we’re here.” Rainbow was right in her statement. The shabby tree-hut adorned with strange tribal masks sat directly in front of them. Everypony sat still for a moment.

“Well what are we waiting for!? Let’s get in there and talk to her!” Rainbow complained while moving towards the door. All the others followed suit and approached the zebra’s house. Twilight then proceeded to knock on the door, the sound of her hoof hitting the hard wood echoing ominously. When it was once again silent, the door opened very slowly and a wild-looking zebra poked her head out.

“Twilight what brings you to see me, deep within the great Everfree?” Zecora inquired, somewhat surprised by their visit but still motioning for them to come inside.

“Oh, I just wanted to get your opinion on a few things we were discussing.”

“An opinion I can provide, but please first follow me inside.” With that, she turned around and entered her hut once again. The six followed her inside; although it was a tad cramped, they managed to make themselves comfortable enough. Zecora went about getting some herbal tea to share with her unexpected guests. After she was done, Twilight began the story she had told earlier that day to her friends. After she finished, she brought up her thoughts about the guard and how he seemed to know. And finally she started discussing what would become known as politics.

"...So that's why I came to you, Zecora. I want to know what you think about the princesses and if you agree with me. Also, how was your nation run? You know, before you came here, back when you were with all the other zebras."

There was once again a long pause as the zebra ran the young pony’s thoughts through her head over and over, trying to decide how to respond. She then began to speak slowly.

"I am quite impressed with your thoughts, young one, but soon they will weigh quite a ton.
There is more here than meets the eye, even a chance that some may die.
As for the princesses and what I think, you may find my thoughts on the brink
of insanity, at least to you, and they will give you lots to chew.
Where I come from, no party rules; but please do not think us fools.
For you see, the way we do things, everypony, their thoughts to the table they bring.
We all vote on what seems quite right, and it normally stops all the mindless fights.
Here is quite different, as you can see, for two ponies make the decisions for you and for me.
Although they really mean quite well, only time will really tell
if they are really doing what is right, or if a new country will take flight
and call themselves separate from their start, although I'm sure the princesses will be quite tart.
For you see they try very hard to control, and keep all their subjects as innocent as foals."

With that, she seemed to finish putting in her two bits and inhaled deeply, glad to be done with sharing her thoughts. Everypony in the room was silent for quite a while before anypony decided to speak.

"That was... very insightful. Thank you, Zecora. I'm not sure I like what was said but, it certainly leave me thinking for a-" Twilight started before being interrupted.

"Wait, are you saying that somepony will decide the princesses are wrong and fight against them? That's... That's..."

"Rainbow! I was trying to say something!"

"We're not even supposed to talk about these things! If the guards found out we could..." She paused.

"Wait, why arn’t we allowed t’talk about this stuff?” Applejack responded. “Ah mean, shouldn't we be allowed t’be honest an’ criticize when we feel it’s necessary?"

With that, Applejack made one of the biggest revelations ponykind would ever experience.