• Published 12th Feb 2014
  • 17,179 Views, 1,002 Comments

The Princess and the Foals - Autum Breeze



Sunset Shimmer returns to Equestria, but not the Sunset Shimmer we know

  • ...
70
 1,002
 17,179

Chapter 9 - Friends to an Enemy

Chapter 9

Friends to an Enemy

_____________________________________________________________________

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon sulked as their parents led them til they could see the school.

“Now, behave yourself today, Tiara,” Filthy Rich said firmly.

“And don’t you lash out at any of the other fillies and colts just because you’re being punished,” Gold Digger said, giving her daughter a stern look.

Both fillies gave small nods and their parents walked off, leaving the two to their day of schooling.

Once their parents were out of sight, Diamond pulled the dress she’d worn at her Cute-ceañera out of one of her saddlebags and Silver Spoon did the same.

They quickly got them on, checking that the adjustments each had made overnight ensured nopony saw their blank flanks.

“No matter what anypony says today, we act like nothing happened,” Tiara said firmly and Silver nodded.

The two walked into the classroom, acting as they always did, stuck up and better than everypony else, because they were.

But as they caught sight of Miss Cherliee, the smugness they always had vanished. She was giving them a very cold look.

“I know what happened yesterday, girls,” she said, her voice even, but not hiding the disappointment. “Take your seats and don’t cause any trouble, okay?”

They both nodded and walked to their desks, ignoring the chatter of their classmates.

So focused were they on keeping themselves from being noticed that they didn’t see Dinky Hooves had accidentally left a pair of scissors sticking out of her desk while she’d gone to chat with the other CMC members.

As they each passed Dinky's desk a loud ripping sound came and they both froze, not daring to look at their flanks.

The classroom had suddenly gone eerily quiet.

Shaking, both fillies looked behind them to see a tare on each of their dresses where Dinky’s scissors had cut into them. The part underneath that was now exposed... were where each filly’s cutie mark used to be.

It started small at first. Then it got louder and louder until the whole classroom was filled with a chant. A chant the two fillies had so often thrown at every other pony.

“Blank flanks! Blank flanks!”

They both backed to the edge of the classroom as their classmates surrounded them, pointing and chanting the horrible phrase they had been so well known for using everyday.

“Blank flanks! Blank flanks!”

“Shut up!” Diamond Tiara shouted, her nostirals flaring, yet this only made the chants grow louder.

“Blank flanks! Blank flanks!”

Silver Spoon crouched on the floor, her hooves over her head, tears streaming down her muzzle as the words cut into her over and over.

“BLANK FLANKS! BLANK FLANKS!”

“SHUT YER YAPS!”

Silence fell as everypony turned to who had spoken.

Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Dinky were all glaring, not at Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon, but at the rest of the class.

They moved until they were standing in front of Silver Spoon, who just stared at them in confusion as her tears slowly leaked from her eyes.

Apple Bloom looked around at each member of their class.

“Ya’ll’re makin’ fun o’ D’amond Tiara and Silver Spoon fer no good reason!” she said, looking like somepony had just insulted a member of her family.

“We’ve got a great reason!” Button Mash said, nodding his head. “They’re always teasing us. It’s about time they learned what it’s like on the receiving end.”

“An’ then yer no better than they are,” Apple Bloom snapped back, making him flinch.

“Just because they don’t have their cutie marks anymore doesn’t mean anypony can just make fun of them for it,” Sweetie Belle said, holding out of hoof to help Silver Spoon back up.

She took it, still looking utterly bewildered as to why they were helping her.

“Ha! Like we need you to help us,” Diamond spat at Apple Bloom, not even thanking her for stopping the chanting. “We can handle ourselves just fine, right, Silver Spoon?”

She got no response. She turned to see Silver was looking at the ground, an ashamed look on her face.

“Silver!” Diamond shouted, but still she didn’t respond.

Now it was Dinky’s turn to give her classmates an ear-full. “My mommy always says you should treat everypony like your best friend. Like family. I know they haven’t done that, but does that mean we have to mirror them?”

Everypony looked down at their hooves. It was hard to not feel bad if Dinky Hooves was telling you off, especially when she mentioned her mother.

“An’ hwhat righ’ da any o’ ya’ll have to tease them about bein’ blank flanks?” Apple Bloom asked, looking at several ponies in particular, each who didn’t have their cutie marks either. They lowered their head in shame.

Apple Bloom then turned to both Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara, the latter not even looking at her and huffing as she stuck her snout in the air.

“Would ya’ll like to try an’ be friends?” Apple Bloom asked, holding out a hoof.

While Diamond Tiara batted it away without a second glance, Silver Spoon hesitated, looking unsure.

“We’ll do what we can to help you get your cutie marks back,” Sweetie Belle smiled.

Again, Tiara acted as if she had heard nothing.

But Silver Spoon gave a small smile and took Apple Bloom’s extended hoof.

“Okay.”

“WHAT?”

Diamond’s voice reverberated around the classroom, making everypony, including Miss Cherliee, who had not intervened because Princess Twilight had asked her to let things play out naturally today, to flinch.

Silver Spoon cowered behind Dinky as Diamond Tiara glared at her like a mad bull would a red rag.

“You’re going to be friends with them?! They’re blank flanks! Commoners! Vagabonds! Farmers! Losers!”

Apple Bloom stepped in front of her, blocking her path. “Maybe,” she said, her voice as firm as Applejack when she was telling somepony off, “but at least we’ll be her friends, no matter hwhat.”

Diamond was about to retort, when she noticed everypony was glaring at her.

She sniffed. “Whatever.”

She went to her desk, not looking at anypony.

Silver Spoon stared at Apple Bloom, a slight bit of confusion still on her face.

“What did you do that?” she asked, blinking. “Why did you help?”

Apple Bloom smiled. “Eazy. Cuz yer just like us now. Why not help out somepony the same as yerself.”

Silver Spoon smiled.

Apple Bloom was right. She was just like them. Sure, her family had more money, but that didn’t make them any better than Sweetie Belle’s family, Apple Bloom’s family or even Dinky’s family. They were all the same.

There was a bright flash and everypony gasped.

“What?” Silver asked, looking around in confusion.

“Silver,” Apple Bloom said, pointing. “Yer flank.”

Silver Spoon looked to her flank. Her cutie mark was back!

No. Wait. It was different this time. The silver spoon was back and it was the same as before, but behind it was a small sun with a smiling face.

She turned to her new friends, her smile as wide as her face would physically allow and they smiled back.

_____________________________________________________________________

Twilight was reading Daring Do and the Griffon’s Goblet to Sunset and Scootaloo, both of whom were listening with glee written on their faces, when a knock at the door made them all pause and look to the door.

Twilight ease herself up, walked to the door and opened it with her magic.

Standing outside were Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Dinky Hooves and, to Twilight's surprise, Silver Spoon, who Twilight saw had her cutie mark back, but with a smiling sun behind the spoon now.

Silver Spoon was smiling like she’d just had the best thing in her life happen to her, which, Twilight suspected, she had.

“I’m one of the Cutie Mark Crusaders now,” Silver Spoon said, showing her cape with pride. “I got my cutie mark back, but they made me a member anyway.”

“I’m glad to hear it,” Twilight smiled. Then she frowned. “Where’s Diamond?”

Silver sighed. “She didn’t learn her lesson. And when her dad heard how she acted at school, even when Apple Bloom and the others tried to help us, he decided to take her on business with him. He thinks that might help her see.”

“We can only hope,” Twilight said, then give a sly smile. “I take it you didn’t just come here to tell me this.”

Silver shook her head. “No. Can I see Scootaloo, please?”

Twilight nodded and moved aside so Silver could walk into the house.

She watched Silver go up Scootaloo, who was looking slightly worried.

It warmed her heart, but also made her the tiniest bit annoyed as she saw Sunset giving Silver a look that said, “You hurt my sister, again and you’ll be sorry”.

“I... I wanted to apologize for what I said yesterday, Scootaloo,” Silver said, bowing her head. “It was wrong of me and cruel and I never should have done it. Can you forgive me?”

Scootaloo looked up at her for several seconds, a frown on her face.

Then she smiled. “Sure. S’long as you down’t do it agawn.”

“Deal,” Silver giggled.

Scootaloo gave her a hug, which Silver returned.

_____________________________________________________________________

Twilight put her two fillies to bed. It had been a long day and they were tuckered out.

She was glad Silver Spoon had learned her lesson so soon. She hadn’t really wanted to use that spell on her and Diamond Tiara, despite her anger to how they’d treated Scootaloo, but she’d known it was the right thing to teach them what they needed to know.

Now Silver Spoon had not only learned her lesson, ending the spell, but she was one of the Cutie Mark Crusaders and had many new friends, including Scootaloo.

“Goodnight, my little fillies,” she said, kissing her daughters on their foreheads.

“Goodnight, Mommy,” Sunset said, her eyes half closed.

“G’night, Mama,” Scootaloo said, yawning.

The two curled up next to each other and fell asleep.

Despite her having gotten another crib so they didn’t have to share, Scootaloo and Sunset had insisted they share.

Twilight didn’t object. It meant they wanted to bond more as sisters and if that was what her daughters’ wanted, who was she to disagree.

“G’night, Spike,” Twilight said as she got into bed and blew out the candle.

“Night, Twi,” Spike’s tired voice said from the darkness.

Author's Note:

and here's chapter nine. Silver's become a nice kid, while Tiara's still a brat and probably always will be.

This'll be the last chapter i post til at least Thursday, and that's if i can get chapter ten flowing onto the keyboard.

Know that from chapter 10 and onwards, it will be paying far more attention to Twilight's bond with her daughters.

please read, comment and enjoy