• Published 24th Mar 2012
  • 14,822 Views, 485 Comments

Gamers in Equestria - Neoandermcd



Playing video games, check. Talking with friends, check. Being transported into the lands of Equestria with video game like powers and some evil plot unfolding...uh check.

  • ...
62
 485
 14,822

Chapter 13: A Tale of Three Friends pt 2

Building a home

Ben’s PoV:


After talking to Pedro and Manny, I began my trek towards Sweet Apple Acres. On the way there I passed city hall and noticed a light on. ‘If we’re going to be living here we can’t freeload off the girls forever’ with that thought in mind, I decided to go talk to the mayor about possible homes that are available for purchase.

The inside of the building is what I’d figured it to be. I was in a lobby with some wooden chairs off to the side that lead straight to a secretaries desk. There were some colorful paintings-ranging from actual art to poorly drawn ones-from the school that lined the walls. A few small roundtables were evenly spaced between the chairs, and offered a variety of magazines to read while waiting.

Reaching the desk, I noticed a closed sign that listed the times that they would open/close. Looking around the room I saw a clock that said it was nine thirty five-which was barely five minutes past the time that they closed-and two hallways leading further into the building. With a dejected sigh, I turned and began to walk out until a low cough caught my attention.

“Hello is there something I can help you with?” She was wearing a light greyish business suit with a green puffy tie, and was carrying a light tannish bag stuffed full of papers. Her eyes were a shade of blue, while her hair was a two-tone grey.

“Mayor Mare?” I questioned, to which she responded with a nod of her head. “It’s nice to meet you. My name’s Ben”.

I held out my hand for her to shake, to which she greeted me in return. I noticed that her cutie mark was that of a scroll tied up by a blue ribbon. “I was originally going to set up an appointment, but considering I’m late I’ll just come back tomorrow and try later”.

“Oh, nonsense. Please follow me”. With a gesture of her hand she beckoned me to follow as she walked towards her office.

Following after her, I caught up and walked side by side with her. “I appreciate what you're doing, but don’t you want to go home? It is kind of late.”

“Oh don’t worry about it.” Waving me off with little to no care. We turned a corner and began to climb up some stairs. “To be honest the only reason folks come down here now a days is to complain.” She chuckled slightly at her comment while shaking her head in disbelief, “Growing up I always wanted to be a mayor though I was expecting more paper work and committee work rather than playing foal sitter, but I still wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.”

Reaching a door she held it open for me as we finally arrived at her office. It would have been rather spacious if it wasn’t for the piles upon piles of papers that littered the office. Leading me around the stacks she offered me a seat as she sat down in her chair. Sitting down I thanked her and explained how I was looking for a home to buy. Shifting through the piles of papers she eventually brought a stack over and began to show the many available properties that Ponyville had to offer.

I looked over each one carefully, but each one had two things in common: they weren’t able to accommodate more than a family size worth of people and the prices were rather high on most of them. When I asked why she told me that it’s because of how small the town is compared to other settlements. That and most of the reservoirs fall under the jurisdiction of other towns. Allowing them to legally charge a bit more for maintaining the water way and distribution to Ponyville.

Of course I assumed that the price was reasonable-I mean if it was ludicrous I’m quite sure the Princesses would have told them otherwise-, but it still wasn’t right. Finding a few homes I asked some basic question like: Could we add on to the house, how much would it cost to purchase or lease, what utilities or taxes would we have to pay and etcetera.

Mayor Mare was very forthcoming and respectable about the answer. Which were: Yes but will cost extra, a big down payment first then a monthly or quarterly plan and we’d have to pay a minimal for utilities regardless of how much we use which also includes taxes.

I could see the bill getting bigger and bigger as the price...actually I’m not honestly sure how much would be considered a lot considering they use a different currency compared to back home. I weighed my option and asked, “Is there anyway I could purchase a plot of land?”

She mulled it over for a moment and shuffled through some more papers. “I think we might have a few spots open, but I need to double check.” Excusing herself she left me in her office for a little while.

Bored I looked over the previous options just incase my idea of building my own home didn’t work out. About twenty minutes passed as I was able to get my options down to two when Mayor Mare finally came back with another pile of papers. Scrolling through the papers at incredible speed she pulled out a single piece of paper and placed it before me. “Sorry it took so long, but it appears this is the only one left.” Turning the piece of paper for me to get a better look at.

The plot of land was half the size of a football field. The initial price racked up to about eight hundred bits, but after wards-accounting taxes-the rent would be eighty bits. When I asked why she told me that the utilities weren’t apart of the deal and that the plot of lands was technically not a part of Ponyville’s district so it didn’t have to be charged for that unless we hired contractors to make a water system that connect to Ponyville, in which case we would then have to pay. I asked if she could show me on a map of where it was located and she did. I now understood why it was-relatively-cheap as the plot of land was basically near the border of the Everfree Forest.

I mulled over the options splayed before me. On one hand it was cheap compared to the other offers, but they offered security while the plot of land did not. Sure with our powers we could-probably- fend off anything that came our way, but I did not want to live in a home where I had to keep one eye open. On the other hand we would not be bound by utilities or on how big our home could be, allowing us free reign on what to do.

In the end I caved and offered to purchase the plot of land. In the long run I thought it was a better investment especially considering how much money we actually had. As she began to fill out the paperwork I explained to her that at the moment I didn’t have the money. That didn’t bode well with her, but after a half hour discussion we were able to come to a compromise.

Thanking her once more for her time I bid her farewell and made my way towards the plot of land. Overgrowth of grass and weeds littered the area along with a few wrappers, but other than that it looked pleasant enough. It was high up on a hill allowing water to flow down meaning we wouldn’t have to worry about rain. Though it wasn’t steep enough that if it snowed or iced over we would still be able to get home. Looking the area over I mentally began to calculate the most optimale house size while taking into account: how far away we wanted to be from the forest, if I wanted to make traps to ward creatures away and if I wanted to make our home part underground or have it go a few stories high.

By the time I settled on a basic idea of what I wanted to do the moon was slowly arcing it’s way back down just as the sun began to come up. With the blueprint lodged within my mind I then realized a problem. I didn’t have any material to which to build our home from. And it’s not like I can just go around and take an entire mountain or forest apart for the material I’d need like in Minecraft.

I tsked at my blunder now regretting not asking to buy an actual home. ‘Well it’s not like it’s set in stone. I could always ask her tomorrow if we could still purchase one’, though sad at the prospect of not being able to create a wickedly awesome home for ourselves it was just an annoying inconvenience.

Heading back to Sweet Apple Acres another thought occurred, ‘Regardless I still have the problem of getting enough bits for at least a down payment’. Arriving back onto the main path I changed course that lead me back ‘home’. “Maybe I could ask AJ for a loan”, I mused though felt awful about the idea. “I’m sure she would be willing, but how would I pay her ba-Wait what if I offered to work for her”, as the idea came to me. “If I did that it’d be me only asking for an advance payment rather than a loan. Plus it seems like they are short staffed so it could work out.”

Moving at a quicker pace I made it back just as the light from the sun illuminated all over the farm. The sight was breath taking as I stood there and admired the view. That didn’t last long as I remembered what I had to do. Entering the house I saw signs of them being there only a few moments ago. Sighing I went back outside and began to look for any signs of the Apple family. With nothing showing up I made my way towards the barn in hope of finding somepony.

Again I was out of luck. With a dejected sigh I began to make my way out until I caught sight of Pedro. “Pedro, what are you doi-”, I didn’t get to finish as he put his hands over my mouth.

Breathing heavily-as if he ran a marathon-,he took his sweet time in catching his breath. Removing his hand he commented, “Okay I need to start running again because damn am I tired”, as he rested his hands on his hips.

“If that’s what was so important to tell me, I’ll be going now.” I said with a hint of annoyance while making my way outside.

“Guess who got a job”, Pedro asked rhetorically. I turned to him in disbelief as he pointed at himself. “This good looking mother fucker. Boo-Ya!” As he laughed mockingly.

My mouth dropped to the floor as I looked at him. Blinking a few times in an attempt to see if I was dreaming-which I wasn’t-I eventually was able to say, “How?”

“Eh, details aren’t important, but let’s just say I’m awesome like that.” Smiling smugly he scrolled through his pip-boy, pushed a button and a bag full of bits appeared before me. “Before you say I stole it, I didn’t and this is my down payment.” His smug smile growing even bigger. “How do you like me now, Mr. Eagle Scout.”

I stood there and processed the information for about five minutes. Nodding my head in fake understanding I made my way over towards a bunch of tools hanging on the racks. Pedro said something, but I ignored him as I grabbed a pitch fork and looked it over. Making sure it was sturdy I then impaled my head with it. An explosion of pain roared out throughout my body though thankfully it lasted for only a moment. Reappearing over the tool I picked it up and placed it back in its place.

Looking back at Pedro-and much to my demise- the bag of bits was still firmly held in his hands. “Whelp I’m not seeing things or dreaming apparently so congrats”, as I pat him on the shoulder. I became unnerved as he wasn’t acknowledging my praise as he went wide eyed at something. Turning to look at what he was looking at I soon understood why, as AJ stood in the door frame looking at me wide eyed as well.

For a tense few minutes we all stood there looking at one another. I was the first to break out of our stupor, “AJ I can exp-”, though didn’t get to finish as she thumped to the floor. “-lain...Oh shit.”

Pedro reached her side first and did a basic medical assessment. Kneeling opposite of him he eventually said, “She’s fine, just merely passed out from shock”. I breathed a sigh of relief. “Gotta say nicely done. We should totally go do that in town now.” He suggested jokingly.

I glared daggers at him, but he simply shrugged it off. Clenching at the bridge of my eyes I let out a deep breath, “Look help me come up with a way to weasel out of this. It is your expertise after all.”

“Besides being funny, good looking and-”, he shut his mouth as I gave him another glare. “Geez lighten up will ya?”, as he shrugged me off once more. Looking around he went over towards one of the supports of the barn and lightly tapped it. “So how structurally fit do you think this building is?”

I gave the building a once over. The main support beams keeping the barn up were well intact, but some of the lesser ones could definitely use some attention. I told him as much and he nodded in understanding. Walking back to my side-while keeping his gaze upwards-he saw something he liked. Grabbing the nearest object in grasp he then chucked it at one of the beams above us. His shot held true as the hammer smacked the beam causing it to fall to the ground a little bit away from us.

It took me a second to understand where he was going with his idea. “Ah, I see. So a beam fell lose threatening to smash her, but one of us was quick enough to push her out of the way. The force of the tackle knocked her unconscious and we’ve been waiting for her to wake up”. Summarizing his plan I nodded in approval-a smug smile plastered on his face still-though soon lost it, “Slight problem: Applejack is the bearer of the Helmet of Honesty”.

“And?”

I gave him a flat look, “She’ll know we’re lying right off the bat. Unless you already forgot how her sister knew we were lying when we first met her. Blood tends to run thick in the family”.

“Oh please”, as he waved me off. “The only reason why she saw through that lie was because you guys can’t hold a damn poker face”.

“I’m telling you it’s not going to wo-”.

“Ben, Ben, Ben.” Pedro said as he pulled me into a friendly head lock. “Just let Uncle Pedro do all the talking and you’ll see how wrong you are.”

“I’m six months older than you.”

“Details, details.” Nonchalantly blowing me off once more.

Deciding to humor him we both sat there and waited for AJ to regain consciousness.

~Ten minutes later~

“Pedro, ah know your lying ta me.” AJ said, giving him a rather irritated scowl.

“*cough* Told you so *cough*.” I teased though he responded back in kind by giving me the bird.

“So if you two are done foolin’ around. Would ya mind tellin’ me the truth?”

I thought about it for a moment making sure it wasn’t to complicated, but not too simple either since I didn’t want to insult her, “Well it’s rather complicated. You see-”

“Is it because of your power?”

I blinked in surprise as she basically summarized it up quite easily. “Eh, actually yes.”

“Well ah’d appreciated it if you wouldn’t do that in front of everypony else. Dang near gave me a heart attack.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it.”

“Now if you two don’t mind ah need to git back to work.” She said as she left the barn.

“Whelp I’ll be going too”, Pedro said as he let out a low yawn. “I’ve been up for quite sometime and need some beauty rest.”

Before Pedro could leave I grabbed his shoulder, “Pedro, wait. I need those bits.”

He turned back to me with a raised brow as he cradled his pip-boy defensively. I then explained to him why I needed the bits to get a down payment on a house-though I neglected to tell him that it was just a plot of land-and any other bit he could get his hands on.

“So first it’s my diamonds and now it’s my bits”, as he went drama queen mode on me. “What’s next? My clothes? My awesome personality?...My virgini-”, I smacked him before he could finish his sentence.

“Pedro, be serious for a moment, please?” I pleaded.

“We can’t keep mooching off of the girls. I don’t know about you, but I feel awful as it is and would really like to be out of their hair.”

“Ahhhh you’re just looking at it the wrong way”, as he locked his arm around my shoulder. “Think about it: You and AJ under the same roof. One night alone with one another you-”

“I swear if this leads to some porn scene I’m going to shove that pitch fork up your sphincter.”

“...”

“...”

“...could I at least finish? It was just getting to the good part”, he whined.

I rolled my eyes at Pedro’s ridiculous nature, “That’s not what she said to you.”

“Oh! You wound me so.”

“Pedro, please?”

“Yeah, yeah.” Scrolling through his pip-boy once more the bag of bits appeared in his hands. Dropping it into my hands he said his goodbyes and left me alone in the barn.

‘I really do feel bad about taking his semi-hard earned cash, but I’ll make sure to make it up to him sometime in the future.’ Opening up my inventory, I stashed the bag of bits into it. With that done I made my way outside in search of AJ. It didn’t take me long as I found her placing some baskets under a group of apple trees.

“Hey AJ, do you have a sec?” I called out.

“Sure if ya don’t mind helping me place these baskets out. Thanks to somepony giving me a heart attack, ah’m a little bit behind.” I know she was just giving me grief, but I became a bit concerned at how easy she was taking my whole ‘immortality’ thing.

Helping her place the basket about, it only took us about five minutes. After we were done she began to buck at the trees causing the apples to fall into the baskets. I watched her for a few moments-noticing the sad look in her eyes-and asked her, “AJ, are you okay?”

“Ah don’t rightly know.” She responded, as she shifted her hat to hide her face. “You died Ben. Ah saw you, yet you’re standing there like it was nothing. Ah watched you l-lower your head towards the pitch fork and a-ah froze up. Like a scared filly”, tears began to stream down her face.

I did the only thing that came to mind: I patted her on the back. She didn’t shake me off though neither acknowledge me doing so. She just cried and spoke incoherently. I caught bits and pieces, but refrained from asking. We stood there in the apple orchard for a few minutes as she composed herself. She looked much better than before, but her eyes still held a sadness to them. I wanted to ask her yet shied away as I rationalized that it was probably something she wasn’t ready to discuss.

“*Sniff* Thank you”, as she wiped the remaining tears in her eyes.

“No if anything I should be asking for your forgiveness”, as I hung my head low. “I shouldn’t have let the shock of Pedro getting a job before me surprised me to the point of killing myself.” Now that I thought about it I couldn’t believe I actually did it. I mean there was no guarantee I would respawn like normal since all the times that I did die was because of external forces and not because of my own free will.

For all I knew that could have been the end of me.

*Thwomp* came the sound as AJ went back to work. The air was heavy between us as she focus back on her work while I brewed over the recent events. Minutes past by as she continued while I observed her at work. I wasn’t surprised at how strong she was-since she’s been probably doing this for most of her life-as her kick shook the tree with ease yet was light enough so as to not leave any permanent damage to the tree.

Growing bored I asked, “Mind if I help?” Though I asked at the wrong time as my question reminded her that I was still here. She yipped in surprised as she lost balance-her kick flying wide-and fell to the floor.

I smiled sheepishly and helped her up. “Are ya purposely trying to give me another heart attack?” She asked with a scowl.

“Sorry.” I said with a wince.

Turning to leave I didn’t make it far, “No ah’m sorry Ben.” An apologetic smiled splayed across her face, “Ah didn’t mean to snap at ya.”

“Well I could have waited to ask or gave a signal that I was still here.” I admitted while scratching the back of my head.

Silence rained down upon us once more as we stood there. “Well what are you waiting for? A grand invitation?” Said AJ, as she pointed towards the tree she was going to kick.

I tried to shy away, but eventually caved in to the demand. Finding my center of gravity I did a round house kick to the tree as hard as I could mustered.

*Thwomp*

*Crack*

*Plop*

“GAHHH!” I cried out in pain, now holding my cracked leg. AJ was by side within a second as she was prepared to ask me if I was okay. *Snap* “Oh god why!?” I cried out once more as my once cracked leg snap itself back together.

“Are you alright?” She asked, while supporting me.

“Peachy.” The pain from my leg was gone within a moment or two. Standing back up-much to AJ’s chargen-I moved over towards the basket to see only a total of five apples with the four baskets surrounding the tree.

My disappointment didn’t go unnoticed, “Ah don’t feel too bad.” As she patted me on the back, which almost caused me to fall flat on my face. “Usually takes more practice to get three down. So you did pretty well on your first try.”

“Hmm I suppose”, as I began to formulate what went wrong and how to improve my results. Remembering how she struck the trees a thought occured, ‘Maybe she’s targeting at a focal point in where the tree is vulnerable thus allowing the apples to come off more easily’. I relayed my idea to her and she nodded confirming my suspicion.

“So how do you know where it is?” I asked, coming up with no real logical answer. Heck I tried knocking around the tree for some abnormality/sign-like how you would knock on a wall to see if theres a board there-, but came up with nothing.

“Well...it’s hard to explain.” She began only to pause for a second. “It’s...kind of like your power in a sense. Ah don’t know how to explain it, only that ah know how to.”

I theorized that maybe it was the natural earth pony magic doing it’s job at a subconscious level and left it at that. I figured maybe practicing a few more times will eventually lead me to some results. And pain. Lots and lots of pain, but some sacrifices are necessary.

We spent the next few hours bucking some more trees: Me having to kick a tree a few dozen times before it was empty while AJ did most of the brunt work. Afterwards we loaded the baskets onto a cart-courtesy of Big Mac-and delivered them to the barn where Applebloom began to sort through them.

It was AJ’s turn to man the stand while Big Mac continued delivering apples to Applebloom. I tagged along with AJ to town since I had business there anyways. Along the way I asked the big question that I nearly almost forgot.

She said she’d think about it, but would have to makes sure it was okay with Big Mac. I understood since this could affect their business in either a good or bad way and that they needed to discuss it as a family.

...Wow I just realized that my previous statement could be taken in the wrong way. By big question I meant a job on the farm not a marriage proposal. Granted to say I wouldn’t mind marrying her in anyway or form, but considering we’ve barely know one another it would seem rather unorthodox to do so. I mean she is rather fetching to the eye and her honesty is rather refreshing than compared to back home...and now I’m digging myself a bigger grave.

Moving on.

Stopping by the mayors office I dropped off the first payment and promised to deliver the rest as soon as I could. I was actually surprised when she said it was fine-so long as we delivered the rest of the payment by the end of the month-and that the land was ours. Signing some paper work and legal documents I was now the proud owner of a plot of land.

Thanking her once more I left and returned to the Sweet Apple Acres to get some rest. Lying down I decided to take an hour nap or so. Closing my eyes I immediately fell asleep.

Not even half an hour later did I spring up from my bed, “I’m such an idiot!” Scouring my temporary room for a piece of paper I then began to scribble a bunch of numbers with accompany names. Racking my brain for a good fifteen minutes I-hopefully-wrote down every item in Minecraft possible to summon via giving command.

A part of me didn’t think this would work, but felt that I really had nothing to lose. Going through the process I opened my text screen though stopped as a thought occured, ‘I wonder if the guys can see this? We were on steam chat at the time and most multiplayer games have a means of communicating with one another. So maybe we can speak to one another via chat windows’. I sent a simple message of ‘test’ and focus back on my original goal.

I decided to give myself something simple: some stone blocks. Entering in the command I ‘pressed’ enter and stared dumbfounded at the stone block in my hand.

Oh I’m so going to build a home now. WIth a gleeful smile I ran out the front door-almost knocking Big Mac to the ground-as I rushed to my plot of land.

~Hours later~

“I think that’s good for now” I said, wiping the sweat that formed on my brow. I spent most of the afternoon creating the framework of what our home would be as it stretched twenty four blocks wide and sixteen blocks high. I would have made it higher and got at least started on the inside if I didn’t reach the max of what I could summon.

I learned many things about my summoning power. For starters I could only summon raw materials. Meaning I would have to make everything from scratch: so no summoning swords, armor, beds and etcetera. There was also a limit to what I could summon within a certain time frame. I know this because a message popped up telling me that I had to wait. It didn’t say how long, so for right now I’ll just have go through trial and error to see how long, but I was happy to at least be able to get the walls closed up. A safety precaution just incase it either rained-which could happen since we are near the Ever Free-or if some critter/pony became interested in my work and wanted to snoop around.

With a tired yawn and a growl from my stomach it occurred to me that I didn’t get any sleep or had a single bite to eat all day. Making my way back to Sweet Apple Acres I arrived just in time for supper. Eating I then helped clean up, took a shower and went straight to bed.

The next morning I woke up early-to at least show that I was committed to working here-and was pleased to hear that they would hire me. Though the pay was low-and they did say sorry-I told them it was fine as long as I get a few apples for compensation. They agreed upon those term and we set out to work. Big Mac trained me in what we needed to do before we buck the apple trees. It required emptying the low quality apples to the farm animals, cleaning the baskets and setting them up all around the fields. We were focusing on the southern fields-as they rotated which field they harvested-and then began to buck the trees.

I improved slightly-knocking down seven apples rather than five-though it still took me longer than the Apple family. Just a little before eight I was told to load up the apples and deliver them to the barn so that Applebloom could sort through them. Afterwards Big Mac and I went to town so I could learn how to set up the stand. I spent most of the afternoon learning the prices and how to haggle. Twilight stopped by and said hello. We talked for a few minutes, but she soon left to go check up on BJ. I felt like a jackass since this whole time I was more distracted about getting enough money to buy a home than to check up on my friend.

A bit later Big Mac said I could go and that he would give me my payment when I got back home. I thanked him and went to the hospital to check up on my friend. Pedro was there-having the same remorse as I did-and we entered BJ’s room. Twilight was reading some books-they were about how to wake someone up, which I found funny-and greeted us when we entered. She excused herself for a moment-allowing us some private time to talk to our friend-as we both discuss what has happened so far.

Even though he was asleep I could have sworn he reacted when Pedro told him about how he got a job before everyone else. We both left after ten minutes and just discussed some more about things that we’ve learned so far.

As we left the hospital we went our separate ways: as he went back to Rarity’s home while I went back to work on our home. It didn’t take long as I smashed down the wall-where the door was going to be placed-and opened up some walls where window were going to be. Crafting a few torches to lighten up the room, I soon went back to work.

As I was putting the stairs in a thought occured; ‘I wonder where Manny is?’

Author's Note:

A big shout out to my two new editor/pre-reader/whatever else should go here, mrlordwaffles and IAMInASnuggie. You guys rock.