• Published 10th Feb 2014
  • 2,719 Views, 42 Comments

Him - Zytharros



Twilight Sparkle is the last creature alive, floating endlessly through a frosty void. She is not alone.

  • ...
12
 42
 2,719

~ I ~

I


Who knew?

Who knew that I would be flying alone in infinite darkness at the end of time?

Was it Celestia?

Was it Luna?

Or was the old religion true – that Zacherle, the Goddess of All Creation, planned this out?

It was hard to think. It was hard to process these thoughts when I was the only one left. I couldn’t make out where I was going. I couldn’t make out where I’ve been. All I had was memory.

From the day I was born, I dedicated myself to the study and control of magic. It was how I earned my cutie mark. It was how I saved Equine – no, Equestria – countless times with my friends. I was the world’s saviour, its salvation. I saw religions about me rise, fall, and rise again. I witnessed and ruled nations come to power and fade, sometimes in the blink of an eye, sometimes in a breath. Others barely learned how to tread water before their eternal flame was snuffed out.

Yet Equestria endured.

For six thousand years my sisters Celestia and Luna ruled before I came to power, and, like all members of the equine race – alicorns, pegasi, unicorns, and Earth ponies – we had our squabbles. Luna spent one-sixth of that time in imprisonment on the Moon.

It was here that my story really began.

But you know that tale, or what is unfolding of it in your time.

What you don’t realize is it has already happened, that a million eons ago my story was real. Yes – the events you see are an actual chronicle of our chaotic lives, the one true group of friends I had the pleasure of getting close with over my long life.

My friends all perished in various ways. Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Applejack… over time, every last one of them rode their way to bliss upon Charon’s boat. I even witnessed Celestia and Luna cross the river into eternity.

Each of their deaths was painful, every last one filled with pain and sorrow unimaginable, and yet, by the time Rarity died, I expected it. I hate to think I grew callous, but when you have eternity to look forward to, other friendships to maintain, and royal duties calling your name, eventually you get very good at a stoic poker face.


At Spike’s funeral, I didn’t even cry.

…oh, Celestia, why didn’t I cry?


For one-thousand six-hundred ninety-two years, that little dragon stayed by my side as my loyal and everlasting assistant. I could always count on his wisdom and emotional strength to carry me through the darkest hours. He supported me through the funerals of my five closest friends. He made sure my Darkness never surfaced. His mind was sharp and pointed right until the very end.

Yet his body betrayed him.

He began to take more naps. His joints failed. His lifeblood, formerly hot and burning with passion, began to run cold and cynical. He walked with crutches, then barely moved from his bed.

Eventually, he asked me to take his life.

…I couldn’t do it.

We got into an argument. We said words we shouldn’t have. We wounded each other very deeply. We…



He and I never spoke again until his flame finally left him.


His funeral was lavish. I spared no expense to ensure he had the best possible funeral. I even inducted him as Equestria’s first Twilight Saint, an honour I then posthumously awarded to my friends the same day.


My darkness took root.