• Member Since 20th May, 2012
  • offline last seen Dec 31st, 2022

not plu


rip

E
Source

2+2=5
Celestia knew, Celestia always knew the truth, so it had to be true.
Twilight trusted her, didn't she?
And fillies always grasp to truths, to their heroes, and drink in everything life throws at them.
So two and two make five.

Chapters (1)
Comments ( 329 )
ZAKARI #1 · Feb 9th, 2014 · · 2 ·

I'm sorry, I don't understand this story

3918758 I'm sorry. Any way I could explain it?

SO pony 1984 is a thing now

that was the scariest thing ever

:trollestia::facehoof:

but it was very good

"Pick two, add two, and receive 1 as a gift from Celestia" :rainbowlaugh:

3918763

Why does 2+2=5?

3918816 Because Celestia says so.

ZAKARI #8 · Feb 9th, 2014 · · 8 ·

3918830

I don't understand! You aren't explaining anything!

3918839 That's all there is to explain. 2+2=5 because Celestia says that 2+2=5. Why she said that, however, is a mystery.

I dealt with something like this when I was a kid, Twilight should borrow a play from my book: two plus two equals four, but in the case of that equation (and only that equation) four is both written as and called five, this in no way changes the answer or effects future calculation in which case the number counted is still four.

I used to love mind-games as a child. :twilightsheepish:

This was really great, but... It wasn't sad. Dark, yes, but not sad.

3918865 As are all three of my one-shots.

Comment posted by ConsciousHaze196 deleted Feb 9th, 2014

3918871 I just realized I totally tagged that wrong. I guess I'm just used to writing sad stories, haha.

3918758 Celestia told Twilight that 2+2=5 for some reason or another. Twilight would never go against the princess, wouldn't even think that Celestia could ever be wrong. I think she knows, though, in some part of her mind, that what Celestia said was wrong.

If Twilight continued with her mistake, she might be able to prove that (-5)+2xN=(-2), from similar equations with positive numbers 5-2xN=2, that implies that (-2)=2 and equals any odd number; with that it's easy to assume that maybe for each odd number O and even number E there E+E=O.
Maybe she was right? Maybe (-5)+2=(-2)=(-3) and all numbers are equal to each other?

IceQB #19 · Feb 9th, 2014 · · 18 ·

Technically 2+2 can equal 5.

Simply 2 = 1+1.

It is proven 1+1 can equal 3.

So if 2+2 = (1+1) + 2

Then 2 + 2 = 3 + 2 = 5

Therefore 1 = 2 = 3 = 4 = X

3918978 How do you prove that 1+1=3?

IceQB #21 · Feb 9th, 2014 · · 12 ·

3918981 Let x =y

x - y + y = y
((x - y + y) / (x-y)) = (y / (x-y))

1+ (y / (x-y)) = (y / (x-y))

1 = 0

If the above is true:

1 = 0
1 = 1
1 = 1

Therefore, LS = 3. RS = 2.

Therefore 3 = 2.

Source: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/56734.html

I think I broke logic here.

3918991 You'd be dividing by zero then. Classic mathematical fallacy.

Additionally, there can be a following arithmetic. Each number is written as 55...5D, where D is 1, 2, 3 or nothing. So 2+2=5, 5+1=51, 5+2=52, 5+3=53, 5+2+2=55 etc. which doesn't contradict story equations.

3919001 We also have to remember that Twilight is incredibly young in this story, so she wouldn't be thinking anything anywhere close to the stuff we're going into.
This goes for everyone.

3918758 Read the book '1984' by George Orwell.

Comment posted by KetchupAndRice deleted Feb 9th, 2014

I was waiting toward the end for something to happen such as she miss a test or something becuase the princess told her this. or something happen somewhere becuase she got it wrong.

3918978
What the author said : 3918998

That's a math proof error you literally get handed as an example to see what mathematical proof errors look like. For me, it was day one homework in Automata and Formal Languages where I had to discern where the proof error was.

3918991

Let me say first of all that there is no real proof for the statement
1 + 1 = 3. You cannot use correct mathematics to prove an incorrect
statement.

From the page you linked.

What if the only difference between equestrian langue and English is that five and four are swapped. So five equals four, and four equals five. :rainbowderp:

Did you just read 1984?

I REALLY DONT GET THIS. maybe the moral of the stoy is that when it comes to mlpfim, everything Celestia says is logical. Like how the sun and moon are controlled and raised. Logic.

By the way, HOW IN ANY WAY IS THIS CONSIDERED DARK!?!?

That is pretty dark and creepy.
Unless 5 in this fictions universe is 4 but Twilight's knowledge of numbers is congruent to another reality.
Or if for some reason someone is forcing the idea to her head in order to change what she thinks or something by putting her in a situation where her most reliable source of knowledge claims the truth as falls and the lie as a fact.
Dark and creepy. The ending also makes chaos theories easier to make, adding more creepiness.

Part of me wants to believe that Celestia saw Twilight as being too clingy and too trusting of Celestia. so she gave Twilight a fallacy in order to break that. And she won't let up until Twilight tells her she's wrong. :trollestia::twilightangry2:

3919824

Me too, because canon Celestia doesn't usually do random things to mess with the minds of ponies.
That would be me.

But this story was an interesting read, even though I hate math.

-Mr. Discord

I notice many people pointing out the idea this came from 1984, but I have to ask; was that your intention, or was that simply a simple equation to put there?

Either way I can appreciate the psychological horror going on for little Twilight. The princess is always right, but 2+2=4. Which one is more correct? Her logical brain says the math equation, but her emotional brain wants to uphold her teacher's place of infinite superiority. Truly the stuff mental breakdowns are made of.
Masterfully written. You get a thumb and a fav. :heart:

2+2=5 isn't wrong for particularly large values of 2. What do I mean by that? If there's uncertainty in your numbers something like this can happen. The number range 1.5 to 2.5, when rounded to the nearest integer, is 2. More specifically, it's 2 ± 0.5, but that uncertainty is implied and does not have to be expressed. Now imagine each of those 2's are really 2.4. This would be 2.4+2.4=4.8, which, when rounded, displays as 2+2=5.

3919724
3919756
3919898
3919874
3919907
Okay, whole bunch of replies since I just woke up.
Yes, 1984. I read 1984 a while ago, but that's where this came from.
I really like the theory of four and five being swapped (or along those lines) but I hadn't thought of that before.
Also, with all the complex math stuff, I'd like to remind everyone (again) how young Twilight is. Maybe Celestia understands, but Twilight can't come up with this on her own.
I actually love all the theories y'all are coming up with. It fascinates me.
And thanks for all the comments, likes and favs!

It's an interesting story here. I choose to think that either this was an honest error on Celestia's part. Maybe she wrote quickly and the pen skipped or her mind was on other things when she wrote this, and who can honestly say we haven't made mistakes like that? Simple errors that slip into the day to day grind that really are of no consequence becaus they can be spotted and corrected instantly. The result though is we are privy to a little bit of innocence dying. Your heros, idols and role models aren't always right and can make mistakes.

A deep thousand words.

I get the feeling Celestia just wanted to mess with Twilight

3919898 you guys do know this could be the reason behind "lesson zero" right?

You know, I wrote that same answer on my math test once. I should have put "Celestia said it's right" next to it.

This is a lie. We all know 2+2=22

I no longer want to understand my life....:rainbowderp:

Login or register to comment