• Published 9th Feb 2014
  • 10,113 Views, 677 Comments

A Different Sunset - Evowizard25



The dark bites, as the Equestrian saying goes. It bites, it devours, it destroys, but it can't really do any of that, can it? Sunset isn't going to take any chances.

  • ...
33
 677
 10,113

Part 14: Loyalty Tested

The air was still in the Everfree Forest. Not a sound echoed about. Not even the birds were singing, or the crickets chirping. The forest’s predators were long gone, leaving not the tiniest piece of destruction in their wake. Nor were there any signs of the insidious followers of Nightmare Moon.

The forest was at peace.

“Ugh,” Lightning Dust groaned in boredom.

And peace was something Lightning Dust hated. She was a mare of action. It ran in her very veins. She came from a long line of dare-devils and she was no exception. On the contrary, her grandfather called her the most reckless mare this family had ever produced.

He couldn’t have been prouder.

Still, that didn’t help her now. There wasn’t anyone to fight, they were stuck out in the middle of nowhere, and she had to walk near a heretic. ‘A scrawny heretic.’

“Are we there yet?” Lightning asked.

“For the last time, no, but we’re getting close,” Redheart said, with a bit of an edge to her voice.

“That’s what you said five minutes ago,” Lightning moaned.

Redheart sighed. “Lightning, the castle of the two sisters is ‘deep’ within the Everfree Forest. Let me emphasize; Deep! It will take us a while to get to it.”

Lightning snorted in agitation. “Well can’t we just find a shortcut?”

“Can I kill her?” Shade asked. The stallion was able to walk on his own now, thankfully. Of course, he still clung to Redheart both for assurance and just in case his newfound strength failed him. The others could still see him tremble slightly with each step. “Can I please, please kill her?”

“No,” Redheart said. “You can’t. Killing won’t solve your problems.”

“Yes it will,” Shade said in a whiny tone. “It’ll make her shut up.”

“Hey,” Lightning scowled. “You have no right to say that. We could have left your sorry hide back there to die, but we didn’t. So a little talking won’t hurt you.”

“But you’re so annoying,” Shade put a hoof to his ear and rubbed it. “My ears feel like they’re going to bleed if I have to hear one more complaint from you.”

“I am not annoying,” Lightning snarled, readying herself to deliver a swift punch. ‘He deserves it!’

“Stop it,” Redheart butted in. “Both of you. You’re acting like foals.”

“No we’re not,” both Lightning and Shade said in unison, before glaring at one another. For the past while, the two had been butting heads left and right over the smallest things.

Redheart groaned. “Please, this night is already as bad as it can get. Don’t make it anymore insufferable.”

“Fine,” the other two chimed.

Lightning still didn’t trust Shade one ounce. He was a filthy heretic and she still thought he was better off dead. She couldn’t do anything about it though. Redheart was sticking up for him and she wasn’t a murderer. That didn’t stop her from complaining about the situation. At least it gave her something to do.

“Are you sure you know we’re going in the right direction?” Lightning asked Redheart.

Redheart nodded. “For the most part, yes.”

“For the most part?” Lightning piped up. “Why does that not fill me with confidence?”

“I never deal in absolutes,” Redheart huffed. “You should know that about me.”

‘Oh do I ever,’ Lightning thought. Of the small group, Lightning had known Redheart the longest. Her parents had moved from Cloudsdale to get away from all the internal strife going on in the city. Of course, given how little they had, both of them had to get jobs, leaving little Lightning all by herself.

Naturally, they need to hire a babysitter. Low and behold, Lightning met Redheart, a teen earth pony mare training to be a nurse. They hit it off pretty well, though Redheart was a little too strict for Lightning’s tastes. So it wasn’t unusual for them to butt heads now and again.

Suddenly, she got an idea. A brilliant idea. Lightning Dust got an awfully brilliant idea. She looked up to the sky, or where it would be if the tree branches weren’t covering it. Just seeing herself enclosed within the forest made her fidget her wings in agitation. A Pegasus was a born flyer, not a walker.

“Well,” Lightning pointed to the roof of the forest. “How about I take a look from the sky? Surely I could see something.”

“The tree branches are too thick,” Redheart explained. “You wouldn’t be able to get past them.”

Lightning just chuckled. “Oh, please. You seriously think tree branches can stop me? They can’t handle my awesomeness.”

“Lightning,” Redheart gave the energetic Pegasus her best ‘deadpan’ stare. “Nature will not bend to your awesomeness. We’ve been over this time and time again.”

Lightning inspected her hoof as if it was far more interesting. “Yeah, yeah. Science beats awesomeness.” She smirked. “Like that’s stopped me before.”

Redheart rolled her eyes. “Do I have to give you another lecture?”

Lightning Dust blanched, glancing at the earth pony in horror. “You wouldn’t?”

“But you always loved my lectures as a child,” Redheart pointed out.

“Yeah, when you talked about cool stuff,” Lightning pointed out, backing away from her once babysitter. “And even then you made them sound so boring.”

Redheart gasped dramatically, putting a hoof to her chest. “Boring? My lectures?” She stuck her nose up in the air. “Why, I never.”
Lightning just rolled her eyes, not impressed. ‘She’s just messing with me.’

“Hold on now,” Shade cut in with a wicked grin. “Let’s not be too hasty. I think we could all appreciate a good lecture.” His eyes shone with mirth.

“Really?” Redheart’s own shone with mirth as well, but had the inkling of something far more dreadful.

Lightning gulped, knowing what was to come. ‘Oh Celestia on high, please have mercy on this soul. I promise I won’t skip another work day again…Okay, maybe not as many, but everypony’s got to take baby steps.’

Unfortunately, Celestia was a bit too busy at the moment. So Lightning watched in stunned horror as Redheart fished a notebook from her saddlebags.

“Now,” Redheart leafed through the pages. “I think we can start on the peculiar foliage that makes up the Everfree Forest….”

“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” Lightning did the first thing that came to mind. She decided to screw it all and give her own idea a shot. ‘Beats listening to this.’ With a mighty flap of her wings, she took off, heading upwards.
______________________________________________________________________
*Redheart*

Redheart sighed as she watched Lightning shoot up into the treetops. She watched the branches part for the Pegasus, knowing full well this wasn’t going to work out. At least, not without some injuries. ‘Darn it, Lightning. Why won’t you ever listen to me?’

“Wow,” Shade whistled. “She’s not much of a thinker, is she?”

“Well, yes and no,” Redheart said. “She was a splendid learner when she was younger. That is to say, when I could get her to sit still for more than a minute. It’s just…Ever since her older sister joined the Sisters of Vengeance, she’s been a lot harder on herself.”

Shade blanched. “Sisters of Vengeance?” Redheart nodded in answer. “I threatened the little sister of one of those fanatics?”

Redheart glared at him. “They are not fanatics. They are just….more open with the faith.”

Shade scoffed. “Yeah, too open if you ask me.”

Redheart wasn’t going to continue this line of questioning. She was technically a Sister of Vengeance herself, but that was only a technicality since she was a member of the Order Hospitaller. They weren’t as indoctrinated as the rest of the organization. Redheart was glad about that. While she fully respected the Sisters, she didn’t find their mindsets all that welcoming. They were too quick to jump into the fray, to end somepony’s life if they even showed the slightest hint of treachery. She didn’t need to be a genius to see that they were a headache to any commanding general during wartime.

“Say,” Shade broke the silence that had fallen in between them. “Are your lectures really that boring?”

Redheart shot him a look of indignity. “Of course not. Why would you even think of such a thing? My lectures are factual, to the point, and leave ponies wanting more.”

Shade whirled his head back in panic. “I didn’t mean to imply that they are bad. I just asked a question.”

Nurse Redheart was silent for a moment, studying him. Finally, she chuckled as she watched him sweat in fear. It wasn’t because she enjoyed seeing his fright, far from it. It was just the ludicrous-y of this whole thing catching up to her. Here she was, in the middle of the Everfree Forest, chasing after a supposed fairy tale monster, with one of her retched minions.

“Are you alright?” Shade looked unsettled. “I don’t think I said anything that funny.”

“No,” Redheart’s laughter died down. “It’s just all this…It’s a bit much for one pony to take in.”

Shade nodded. Before he could say anything, the two of them heard a loud ‘crack’ from beneath. The duo slowly tilted their heads down. Their faces turned into ones of panic when the saw the ground around them starting to crack. Looking back up, they both gulped.

“I don’t suppose you can use your magic now,” Redheart asked with a sliver of hope.

Shade shook his head. “No….We’re screwed, aren’t we?”

With a loud crunch, the earth started to give way.

“What did you think?” Redheart managed to say before she fell into the pit below.
____________________________________________________________________________
*meanwhile, with Lightning Dust*

Not many creatures would pierce the veil of the forest. Not from above, for fear of death. Not from below, for few survived to do so. Lightning Dust held no fear…Except for boring lectures. So, she sped through the canopy. By the time she reached the top, however, she had doubts about her plan.

The Pegasus mare was tired and sore. Her body was covered in twigs, leaves, and bruises. She groaned as her body berated her for her actions. With one last heave, she forced herself fully onto the top of the forest. Falling on her back, she was thankful the branches were stable enough to hold her weight. She laid there, trying to catch her breath.

“Ha…I…did it,” she said in between pants. She shot her hoof up into the air. “Lightning Dust: one. Everfree Forest: zero.”

‘I showed you, Redheart. My awesomeness defies logic,’ Lightning thought, with a wide grin on her face.

Sitting up, she put a hoof on her brow to get a more narrowed view of the surrounding area.

She looked forwards.

“Nothing over there.”

To her right.

“Zilch.”

To her left.

“No evil doers over there either.”

And finally, right behind her.

“Probably nothing but…WHOA!” She shouted. Right behind her was a giant spire. Not any normal spire, this one was black and pulsing with a purple energy that just felt …wrong, if Lightning had to put a word to it.

So startled by her find, she fell backwards harshly. Unfortunately, she fell right on the exact spot she just climbed out of, making it so she fell to through the canopy. She screamed in fright. Her trip down was just as unpleasant as her climb up.

Her body tumbled, breaking branches and scratching her body up. She was sure that she’d be a wreck come tomorrow morning. Thankfully, sparing her from any serious harm, vines wrapped around her body as she fell through them. She came to a stop just short from meeting the ground and let out a sigh of relief.

To which the universe decided to screw her over and break the vines. With a loud ‘oof’ her behind hit the forest floor. Grumbling, she brushed aside the vines.

“See Redheart,” Lightning smirked despite what had just happened. “I knew I could do it. You were right. We’re going in the right….”
When she took a step forward, she fell. She mentally cursed herself for not looking where she was going. She was a Pegasus pony however, so with a quick flap of her wings, she stopped herself mid-fall.

“What the….”

She looked around the lit cavern, or more appropriately, lit tunnel. It was beautifully carved with torches that flicked around. It seemed ancient. It felt ancient…’What? Am I feeling ‘ancient’ now?’ Did I become one of those relic collectors or something? I am not one of those nerds.’

“Guys,” Lightning shouted. “Come check this out.”

“I do believe they already have,” an feminine, elegant, pompous voice answered.

Turning around to confront the owner of the voice, Lightning nearly fell out of the sky in shock. Right in front of her was a huge beast. It looked like a lion, but it had a human head. She was quite large, having a paw that could easily grasp a pony’s body within. She was laying on her belly in a relaxed manner. A black color with pulsing purple tubes was clamped around her neck. The creatures’ face studied hers.

“Are you going to scream?” The creature asked. Lightning Shook her head in answer. “Good. I’d hate to sully my eardrums.”

“What are you?” Lightning squeaked out.

The creature raised an eyebrow. “You don’t know?” She asked. “I am a sphinx. A noble beast from lands far away.”

“And why are you in a tunnel underneath the Everfree Forest?”

“I was tasked to guard these tunnels from intruders,” the sphinx sighed. “Celestia forgive me, I have failed.”

“Failed?” Lightning quirked an eyebrow. “Wait a minute, did you see my friends?”

The sphinx nodded. “Oh yes, I have. My current-” she rubbed her collar. “-employer has them.”

“Then show me,” Lightning got in her face without a trace of fear within her.

The sphinx blinked in curiosity. “You care about them, don’t you?”

“Duh, they’re my friends. I just told you that. So stop stalling and lead the way.”

“I cannot. I am to guard this tunnel. The only way you can pass me is to drink from this chalice,” the sphinx gestured to where a garden fountain filled with a strange purple liquid stood. A chalice stood in the middle of the liquid.

“That’s it,” Lightning landed in front of it. “That’s not so hard.” She reached out to grab it.

“It’s poison.”

Lightning’s hoof stopped. She turned her head to look at the sphinx. “Poison?”

The sphinx nodded. “The only way to get into the tunnel is to drink that. A cultist of nightmare would have no problem as the poison would not affect one who worships the dark lady. You are not, so it will kill you. Painfully, I might add.”

“Can’t you do something about this?”

“No. I wish I could. You think I like this? Do you think I want to betray Celestia? No, but this blasted collar won’t allow me to help. I’m doing everything in my power to not try and kill you right now.”

Lightning gulped. “Keep doing that. I’ll…” Her face scrunched up in thought. “Think of something.”

‘Should I drink this? I could just fly away and beat Nightmare Moon up. I’m sure she’ll free them after I whoop her flank, but how can I be sure they’ll be alive then? The heretics could be doing all sorts of nasty things to them. Can I really just abandon them for my own safety?’

Suddenly, she felt something. Like something ‘sparked’ within her. Without further questioning, she roughly took the chalice in her hoof and scooped up some of the poison. Drinking the stuff, Lightning found it tasted as terrible as poison ought to taste. She threw the chalice to the floor and tried to stop herself from heaving.

“I’m impressed,” the sphinx smiled. “Most wouldn’t have done that.”

“Well,” Lightning smirked. “I’m not ‘most’. I’m Lightning Dust. The most awesome Pegasus to ever live.”

“Whom ever lived, eh? Shall I write that on your tombstone?”

“Hardy, har, har,” Lightning made a move to the tunnels. “Say, what was your name?”

“Arkarkhentkats,” the sphinx laid her head down to rest.

“I’ll just call you Arky,” Lightning shouted back as she went deeper into the tunnel.

“You do that,” the sphinx’s voice was just barely heard.
___________________________________________________________________
*somewhere deeper inside the tunnels*

“She drank it?” A massive unicorn warlock growled. He stood watching over a crystal ball that showed the young Pegasus mare drinking the poison. “Why is she drinking it?”

“Because she’s stronger then you give her credit for,” the nurse spoke up.

The warlock, known as Back Stabber, groaned in frustration. He wasn’t having the best day, or night in this case. First his spell doesn’t work on the goddess’s daughter. Then he fails to kill the trio and now somepony had found his retreat.

‘And that blasted sphinx didn’t do its job,’ the warlock though with contempt, looking at the small purple crystal held gently in his hoof. He smiled deviously as he thought of which torments he would subject it to in order to teach it a lesson.

He had been lucky when the two fell into the catacombs. The fall had knocked them out, so capturing them was no chore. Locking them in magic proof black cages, he smirked. Only he could open them.

“It does not matter,” Back Stabber turned around to look at the two he had caught. “She will die soon.”

“Not with her attitude,” the traitor warlock spoke up.

Back Stabber snarled. “Silence, traitor. I’ll deal with you in a little bit.” He turned back to the crystal ball that stood on a fancy pedestal. “I have some work to do.”
_____________________________________________________________________________
*Lightning*

Lightning had never pushed herself this hard before.as she raced through the tunnel. Her wings sped on faster and faster, turning corners with ease. She smirked. ‘Poison, smoison. I can get my friends, beat Nightmare Moon, and find the antidote myself.’

Suddenly, her wings cramped up on her. Squealing in surprise, Lightning fell to the floor. She had been moving quite fast, so she skidded across the ground until she hit a wall. She quickly wondered how many more injuries she would suffer that night. She hoped it wouldn’t be that many, but she was used to getting hurt. Her many training routines usually ended up with her stopping because of injuries or tiring herself out.

She looked back at her wings. They were cramped up and she couldn’t flap them.

‘Great. Just great.’

What’s worse was the pain that started to pop up. It started as a dull pain in her wings, but slowly and surely it spread to the rest of her body. Grunting through the pain, Lightning knew that the poison was starting to take hold. She had to find her friends and quickly.

Standing back up, she trotted through the catacombs with her goal burned into her mind.

“You don’t have to do this,” a sinister voice rang across the walls.

“Whose there?” Lightning snarled. “Show yourself.”

“Just a friend,” the voice answered.

“Well ‘friend’, do you mind leaving me alone? I’m kind of in the middle of saving my friend butts.”

“I see that, but why?”

“Why, what?”

“Why would you want to?”

That made Lightning stop for a few seconds, taken aback by the remark. “Why wouldn’t I save them? Their my friends. I’d never abandon them.”

“Surely, you must value your own life. Don’t throw it away here.”

Lightning ignored the voice and marched on.

“You could be great. Imagine it, my friend. You, the captain of the Wonderbolts….”

Lightning’s mind started to wonder. It was her dream to join the Wonderbolts; Equestria’s best fliers. Nothing would make her happier.

“I can make that dream a reality,” the voice whispered its seductive thoughts. “I can give you what you wish.”

“Uh-huh,” Lightning’s ears perked up, before she grit her teeth. The pain started to get worse.

“The pain will only get worse, I’m afraid,” the voice cooed in mock sympathy. “But don’t worry, I have the antidote.”

“And what’s the price?”

“Your loyalty,” the voice answered. “Embrace the darkness, my friend. It is the only way to save yourself.”

Saving herself did seem like a good idea. She didn’t answer right away, though. The pain wracked her body and sent her into a fit. She started hacking and coughing, until a large gob of blood passed her throat and smacked onto the floor.

‘That’s not good.’

“You don’t have much time left,” the voice said in a hurried tone. “Choose quickly. Fame and your life, or your so called friends.”

Lightning was silent for a moment. Her eyes were tightly closed as she fought off the pain. Her legs kept pushing on. “I want to be a Wonderbolt.”

“Yes, yes you do.”

“I want to live.”

“Of course,” the voice was giddy.

“But I want my friends more,” Lightning roared, pushing herself to go faster. The pain tripled and it took everything she had not to give in to it. She kept thinking of all the times with Redheart, of Cloudchaser. Pretty much anypony she ever called a friend, or family. They gave her courage and a will to go on.

“YOU FOOL!” The voice hollered in rage. “You could be the greatest flier in all of the world. Ponies would envy you everywhere. Why throw that away?”

“Because I’d never abandon my friends,” Lightning said with determination. “I’d never abandon my nation to serve the likes of you, heretic.”

“Your loyalty will be your downfall,” the voice growled.

“Oh yeah?” Lightning smirked as she whirled around the corner. It seemed luck was on her side tonight, for she had stumbled into the room with her friends and the warlock.

The warlock’s eyes widened. “But…How?”

“My friends give me strength,” Lightning boasted, before another tremor hit her.

The warlock smirked as he watched her cough up blood. “The poison is slower than I imagined, but no matter. You shall still die…It’s not too late.” He approached her. “I can save you. I can give you a life.” He gingerly tilted her face up to meet his. “Just let them go.”

“Don’t do it,” Redheart yelled from within her cage. “He’s trying to trick you.”

Lightning couldn’t hear her. The pain had blocked out anything but the stallion in front of her. The shaking got worse and worse. She wanted it to stop. It would be so easy to say yes. “I want….”

“Yes?” The warlock looked at her expectantly.

“I want,” Lightning glared up at him. “You to go buck yourself.” With a quick jab under his chin, she stunned him long enough to run over to her friends. With desperation, she tried to open the jail doors with force.

Rubbing his jaw, the warlock growled. “You fool. Only I can open those cages.” He sent a bolt of shadow magic to slay her.
Dodging, while gritting her teeth in a pained snarl, she landed next to the other cage. The warlock tried to blast her again, he missed. Unfortunately, the magic bolts were the key to unlocking the doors. For they opened up soon afterwards. His jaw dropped.

Lightning laughed. “Not so smart, are you?”

Giving her a look that could kill a lesser pony, the warlock took a step closer. “How dare you defy me? I offered you a chance for greatness.”

“Yeah,” Lightning glared at him, falling to her side as the pain got so bad she couldn’t stand. “But I’d never abandon my friends to a creep like you.”

“Bah,” the warlock scoffed. “Friendship. Such a disgusting concept. I, Back Stabber, the greatest warlock of our generation, shall see to its destruction.” Lighting up his horn, he puffed out his chest in confidence. “Prepare to die.”

“I don’t think so,” Shade smirked and sent out a weak blast of magic. He fell on his haunches and rubbed his forehead. Obviously, he was still a little weak from earlier. The blast didn’t hit Back Stabber. Instead, there was a loud crash.

Back Stabber laughed. “You missed.”

“Did I?” Shade raised an eyebrow.

Looking behind him, the warlock found his crystal ball and trinket both destroyed. “What have you done?”

“Set me free,” a familiar feminine voice spoke up.

Back Stabber was in too much shock to do anything as the sphinx’s large mouth bit down. Shaking her head like a dog, with his midsection in her teeth, she slipped her head back and swallowed him whole.

“Yeah,” Lightning grunted out. “I didn’t need to see that.”

“Me either,” Shade grimaced.

“Oh, quit being such foals,” Redheart chuckled.

“Thank you for releasing me,” Arkarkhentkats smiled. Her collar fell away from her body. “You don’t know how badly I wanted to do that.”

“I can guess,” Lightning coughed up even more blood.

Redheart was instantly at her side, checking her over. “Lightning stay with me. We’re going to get you out of this. Right Shade?”

“Errr,” Shade looked concerned. “Right…How are we going to do that?”

“With this,” the sphinx held out a large yellow vial. “The antidote to the poison.”

“There’s an antidote?” Lightning said.

“Of course there is,” Arkarkhentkats chuckled. “You don’t seriously think I didn’t have a few tricks up my paws, did you?”

Redheart moved with a speed of a mare possessed. She grabbed the vial, tipped Lightning’s head back, and poured it down her throat. Thankfully, she hadn’t done that immediately so Lightning was being drowned by it. Instantly, Lightning’s body felt relieved as the poison left her system.

“There,” Redheart smiled. “All better.”

Getting back on her hooves, Lightning chuckled. “I wonder. How many times are elixirs going to save our hides?”

“Hopefully, none,” Redheart chuckled herself. “We’re going to make it.”

“Yes, we will,” Arkarkhentkats nodded. “I’m coming with you.”

“Alright,” Lightning hoof-pumped. “Look out, night creeps. Team Lightning is coming.” Everyone else was silent. “What?”

“Yeah, we’re going to have to work on the name,” Redheart shook her head in dismay.

Author's Note:

Finished and done. Now all that's left is the climax.

Thank you all for reading and please leave a comment below.