• Published 22nd Mar 2012
  • 7,295 Views, 205 Comments

By a Fireplace - TheGentlemanCreeper



2nd Person Stroy featuring you, a famous novelist, and Fluttershy

  • ...
12
 205
 7,295

Chapter 4

“Hurts... Hurts so much...”

You try to open your eyes, but the mere act of moving your eyelids feels like somepony was tightening the vice that your head currently rested in.

Staying as still as possible, you try to concentrate on something other than the pain that wracked your head and finally notice something that was off.

Why’s it... Why’s it feel like I’m floating?

You couldn’t shake the feeling that you were being rocked back and forth, like you were laying on your back and sitting in the middle of a lake.

Gotta open my eyes...

Gritting your teeth, you try to slowly open your eyelids in the hope of finding out just what was going on. It takes a lot of concentration to just open your eyes with the splitting headache that seemed to fight against your efforts, but you finally manage to and find yourself staring up at an endless blue sky.

“I’m outside, aren’t I?” you mumble as you try to sit yourself up, grabbing at anything you could to balance yourself as the memories of last night flooding back. “I passed out last night and not a single pony-”

Your heart sinks in your chest as you quickly realize that your hooves couldn’t find purchase because there was nothing around you. You weren’t in the middle of the street, you weren’t even in the middle of a lake. You were in the middle of the air.

“I’m dreaming, I’m dreaming, I’m dreaming... SWEET SISTERS ABOVE, PLEASE TELL ME I’M DREAMING!” you scream at the top of your lungs, your heart running a mile a minute in your chest.

Your eyes go wide as you watch a building come speeding towards, making you flail around and grab for anything in some vain attempt to stop the inevitable, but it’s all for naught. Curling into the fetal position, you brace yourself for impact.

But it never comes.

You slowly open your eyes and look around you and stare in dumbfounded shock as the building you were sailing towards disappears behind you. And then another, and then another. Turning forward again, you flinch as you fly towards another building, only to go right through it.

Looking around in confusion, you rub at your eyes and try to wrap your head around just what was happening to you.

“Okaaay... Maybe I am dreaming...”

Looking around you take a deep breath. “Princess Luna! Your majesty?!?” you scream out. “Can I get a little help here? Please?”

You wait and wait for some sort of response, but you hear nothing but the sound of the wind whizzing by you. You let out a heavy sigh, the fear of hitting something or falling left behind you with the second building you flew into.

“Okay. So, if I am dreaming, then this is one sick joke my psyche is playing on me and Princess Luna is in on it...”

A thought occurs to you and sends a shiver down your spine as a whole new possible reality opens up. “What if I’m dead? What if I died in Ponyville and I’m now... Well, here? Wherever here is...”

Glancing down you, stare down at the row of houses whizzing by and start to notice something. “Whoa, whoa... What the hell was that?” you ask aloud as you watch a large silver object on wheels pass below you. “What’s moving it? What’s-WHOA!”

A sudden jerk and the wind being knocked out of you is the only warning you’re given as your direction is suddenly changed and you're sent flying, passing through someone’s roof before bouncing off the first solid thing you’ve come into contact with; the floor.

“Oh come on... This is getting ridiculous...” you mumble under your breath. “Where-”

“Hey man! What’s kicking? No, no. I’m not busy. Yeah, I just finished up some of my writings, so I’m free.”

You strain your neck and try to look around and find the source of the voice, but it wasn’t in the room you currently occupied. It sounded more like it was coming from the other side of the door.

“Oh yeah, I can hang out. Lemme just get my shoes on and grab my keys and I’m out the door. See ya in like, ten minutes, fifteen tops.”

“Hello? Umm... I don’t mean to bug you, but-”

The sound of a slamming door lets you know whoever was just talking is now gone.

Getting to your hooves, you look around the room you were currently in and scoff aloud. “Jeez... This place is a pigsty... Half eaten food, empty cups, cans of... What is this? Coca-cola? Huh. Never heard of it.”

Glancing at the door to the room, you trot over to it and grab the doorknob with your magic and try to open it, but it doesn’t budge.

“Hello? Anypony there? I’m a... Well, it’s kinda hard to explain, but... I was just flying by and well...”

Nothing.

“Hello?!?” you yell this time. “Come on, is anyone there?!?”

Still nothing.

You let out a heavy sigh and glance around the room. Your interests shift from getting out of the room to something that sat in the corner of it. It looked like your typewriter, but that isn’t what you’d call it. It had a keyboard sure, but it also had a television screen, and other things around it that you couldn’t identify.

Climbing into the chair you sit down at the odd device and experimentally touch one of the keys on it, only to jump back as a crackle of static electricity and lights from the television startle you.

“What the... Whoa...”

You climb back into the chair, less scared now and more fascinated now by the fact that television had images on it. And more importantly, words. Lots and lots of words.

“What is this, a story? ... Huh. I guess this thing is like a typewriter. Except it looks like something out of ‘Star Trot’,” you say with a nervous chuckle. Reaching out, you press some of the keys you didn’t recognize experimentally. “Wow... I’d kill to have something like this back home...”

You press keys like ‘backspace’ and ‘enter’ and even mess around with the keys that looked like arrows until you finally feel like you had a hang of it. As you move through the story itself, something makes you stop in your tracks.

By a Fireplace

“No way... Okay, while it’s not the most original story name, that’s still weird. I wonder why they chose that na... Wait a minute... I remember that. I did that! Wait... No way, it couldn’t be.”

Moving to the top of the document with the arrow keys, you start at the beginning and start to actually read what was in front of you. An unsettling truth starts to come to light that makes a lump form in your throat.

“Somepony’s... Somepony’s writing about my life. I’ve got a stalker...” you say, feeling your heart start to flutter in your chest. “Aaaand I’m in their home. And apparently, their captive...”

Running to the windows, that seemed just a tad too high for you, you grab the moulding of it and try to pull yourself up, only to find it blocked by what looked like chicken wire. “Come on... Come on!” you yell out in frustration as you bash a hoof against it, yet to no avail. Looking out the window, you see it held on with a combination staples and duct tape.

“That’s not giving any time soon...” you say with some dismay as you slide down the side of the wall. You look around for something, anything that might help you get out of the room or break through the window, but there’s nothing.

Just the thing in the corner with your life’s story on it.

A few minutes pass and you decide to look more over the thing your captor had written about you, maybe hoping you could glean their identity from it. You start reading, but stop rather quickly when something doesn’t match what you remember.

“Wait a minute, wait a minute... That’s not how it went down. I didn’t walk to Ponyville, I got there by cart and I met King.” Biting at your lip, you let out a heavy sigh and roll your shoulders. “You know, if this creeper is going to write about my life, the least they could do is to get it right.”

Bringing forth your magic, you touch the keys, hesitantly at first. But you soon gain some confidence when the words on the television start to match what you wanted.

“There we go... There’s that... And- Oh come on! If you’re going to be my stalker and write down my life’s story, at least put down things that actually make sense! I wasn’t mugged when I first got to Ponyville, I went to the library where I met Twilight and Fluttershy. And when Fluttershy and I got drunk, we didn’t argue and storm out, we talked and then kissed.”

Scanning more through the story, you run a hoof down your face as things make less and less sense from what you remember. Letting out a heavy sigh, you steel yourself. “Okay, I’m going balls to the wall. If Fluttershy, Twilight... Myself... If we’re all going to be the subject of this pony’s creepy fiction, then I’m going to make sure they know what really happened. None of this bullshit about me getting stabbed or ending up on Fluttershy’s couch or Twilight falling for me.”

Bringing up the magic from within you, you hammer away at the keys and manage a smile.

This is what happened.

The keys click and clack away as you weave something into the story that made you feel happy, all things considering.

“Maybe when someone finds me or my body, they’ll come across this little number and just who I really was...” sitting back, you let out a sigh before staring up at the white paneled ceiling. “That is, if someone does find me and whoever wrote this doesn’t scrap it.”

I wonder what Fluttershy is doing... She’s probably packing up my stuff and leaving it outside for me to pick up. I wonder what she’ll do when if never come by.

You push the thought to the back of your mind and look back to the story, rewriting it as you see fit and fixing every odd detail before coming to a halt as you reach the part where you pass out.

“Well... I guess that’s it, then...”

The words echoed in your head, but they just rang hollow. Something didn’t feel right at all.

What’s ‘it’? The story? My life?

Pressing the keys on the keyboard idly, you watch the mess of letters and numbers add up before a small smile creeps across your face. “There’s a good chance this whole thing will get thrown away, but you know what? Who cares. I’m going to have some fun with it while I can...”

Summoning the magic within you, the keys start to click away again as you giggle under your breath.

...Having woken up from his unconscious state, the stallion realized that the raw essence of that which lies beyond the reaches of the universe had saved his life, but in turn, damned his soul; the evidence was clear. He-

You feel the magic fade before you stop and look at what you’ve written so far. The mere sight of it made something deep in your gut hurt. “No, no, no... It just feels wrong now that I see it on pap-err... Well, whatever this thing is,” you say with a depressed sigh. “Still, I don’t like it.”

Bringing the back the magic, you try your hoof again at writing something.

The stallion woke with a start in his bed back in New Colt City, his coat drenched with sweat. Looking around, he leaned over the side of his breath and tried to catch his breath. “It was... It was all a drea-

“No, that’s even worse!” you yell out in frustration. “That’s a cop out and a cliche one, at that.”

It takes a while, but as you stare at your two failed attempts, the gears start turning and something starts to click. “No, it’s not what I want... It’s what should happen. I won’t be happy until I see this all end the way it should.”

The magic wells up inside you for a third and hopefully, a final time and you let the words flow out of you.

The stallion woke up, having been brought to the local hospital where he was cared for while he recovered from his concussion. There-

*********************************************

“Ohh! Doctor? Doctor! He’s waking up!”

Your eyes flutter open slowly and you try to sit up, but feel a forceful hoof keep you down.

“Don’t get up. Just lay down. Now can you tell me your name?”

Slowly, things start to come into focus and you look up to the white unicorn in confusion.

“I... I was somewhere else, I was... I was doing...”

“What about your age? Can you tell me how old you are? Or where you are?”

You look around, the name of where you are just outside your grasp. Like it was at the tip of your tongue, but it wouldn’t budge any further. Taking a deep breath, you focus and try to find your bearings.

“The... I’m at the... I’m at the... Wait, doctor. You’re a doctor. And I’m at the hospital.”

The white unicorn lets out a sigh of relief before sitting down at your bedside. “You suffered a major concussion that even resulted in a small hairline fracture of the frontal bone. I have to ask... How long have you been walking around with this injury?”

You focus hard on the question and look around the room for something that’d give you a clue as to how long you were out. “I don’t know, exactly... I got hit in the head with a... a salad bowl, I think. It was heavy, I know that much. I got patched up and just tried to walk it off. It got late, then I think I passed out.”

“I’m sorry we have to keep playing twenty questions, but I need to know as much as I can. And I don’t know how long you’ll remain this lucid.”

“I... I understand... It was... Fluttershy.” The name leaves a dry feeling in your mouth and your stomach sink slightly. “She um... She patched me up. She told me I might have a concussion, but I told her I was fine. I guess she was right.”

You let out a little laugh at your own joke, but the doctor doesn’t laugh back.

“Mmm... Well, I think I’m going to get a hold of Fluttershy and see if she can’t help me fill in the rest of the blanks. Like why you were walking the streets of Ponyville so late,” he says as he gets to his hooves. “If that griffon didn’t find you when he did, you probably would be much worse off.”

You bolt upright and reach out for the doctor as he makes his way to the door. “Wait, don’t get F-FUUUUCK!”

Immediately, you throw yourself back into bed and grip your head, the feeling of pain from last night coming back in full force.

“I told you not to sit up, you stupid-Nurse, increase his poppy drip for the pain and if he keeps trying to get out of bed, restrain him in some way. Either chemically, or physically if you have to.”

The white mare walks over to the side of your bed and fiddles with the knob on the bag that you just noticed was going into your arm.

“No! Don’t do thaaaa.. don’t...”

A cold, numb feeling runs through your veins and makes everything go numb until you couldn’t tell what was you and what was the bed. You keep trying to stay awake, but the painkillers cloud your thoughts and fog your mind.

“Listen, everything is going to be just fine,” the nurse says as you keep blinking, your vision starting to fog. “What you need right now is rest. So just lay back and try and get some sleep.”

“But I... I gotta... He’s... She’s gonna...”

“Just try and get some rest,” the nurse says as she steps out of the room, turning off the light as she leaves.

The darkness is the final straw that makes your mind go completely numb and your eyelids fall, the drugs speedily taking you away to a chemically induced sleep.

*********************************************

Doctor? I think he’s waking up again. Should I go get her?

You let out a low moan and groggily open your eyes to see the white unicorn again, bending over you and shining a small penlight into your eyes as you regain some semblance of consciousness.

No, I will. You check his vitals again. Fluttershy will probably want to know that he’s awake now.

Your eyes snap open at the name and you groggily grope for something to haul yourself up, but are promptly guided back into the bed.

“Listen, if you keep insisting on getting up, I might just actually tie you to the bed. Now lay still,” she demands.

“But, I... I... She doesn’t wanna see me,” you half mumble, the drugs still doing a number on your body. “Fluttershy and I, she-”

“What do you mean she doesn’t want to see you?” the nurse asks with a puzzled look. “She ran here as fast as she could when she heard you were in the hospital.”

“Why would she... she rush here? Why would she even wanna see me?” you ask, just as confused.

“I don’t know, but she’s been waiting here for the past five hours for you to wake up. Whatever the reason, she didn’t leave once.”

“Five hours? I was out for... And she waited? I’m so-”

The door to your room opens up slowly and the doctor steps in with Fluttershy right on his heels. You turn your head to the side of the pillow, unable to look her square in the eye without feeling your heart drop into your stomach.

“Doctor? Can you, umm... Give us a few minutes? Alone?” you hear Fluttershy half whisper.

“As long as it’s okay with the patient,” he says as he walks up to the side of the bed, giving you a once over.

“I... I don’t know... I... I guess so...” you mumble into your pillow, still trying to avoid eye contact.

You hear the sound of hoofsteps and then the door closing before the room goes stark quiet. The only thing you can hear is the sound of your own breathing and the shuffling of what sounded like a nervous pony.

“Why don’t you take a seat?” you ask, shifting your head and looking her way for the first time since she walked in. Your eyes meet her and you immediately move them to the chair behind her. “I’d get up and offer you a chair, but the nurse said something about tying me to the bed if I get up again,” you say with a dry laugh, hoping in vain to cut through the tension that currently filled the room.

“It’s umm... good to see your humor’s still in tact,” Fluttershy says with a forced smile. “I just wanted to stop by and see that you’re okay. Now that I know, I guess I’ll take my leave. I’ll leave your stuff with Twilight so you can pick it up when they discharge you.”

Your heart sinks as you watch her make her way to the door. “Wait!” you cry out, reaching for her. “Please... Just... wait.”

Stopping at the door, Fluttershy turns around and gives you a patient look, waiting for you to say something.

“Just... Please. Can I at least explain? So you know why I did what I did?” you ask, trying to swallow the lump in your throat as her gaze burns right through you. “You don’t have to believe what I have to say, I just want you to hear it.”

For what felt like an eternity, Fluttershy just stared at you before letting out a heavy sigh and walking over to the other side of the room, grabbing the chair, and dragging it over to the foot of your bed, silently staring at you.

Taking a deep breath, you try to collect yourself and find your words. “I screwed up, I’m not gonna lie or sugar coat it or deny it. I looked into your most private thoughts and no pony should be allowed to get away with that,” you say, your mouth going dry again. “But... I was scared,” you say, letting out a heavy sigh. “I was scared I’d done something wrong and you weren’t telling me.”

“What do you mean? You thought you did something wrong before all of this? I don’t...” Fluttershy lets out a small breath and rubs her eyes. “What made you think that you did something wrong?”

“You kept pushing me away! First I tried to ask you what was the matter and you’d always tell me that it was nothing. Not only that, but sometimes you’d shy away from me whenever I got too close and at the movie, you flat out pushed me away.” Wiping at your eyes, you do your best to hide the fact you were starting to tear up. “I was scared and kept thinking you were judging me for something and I didn’t know what it was or even if it was my fault.”

Fluttershy’s expression softens and her eyes shift down to her feet. “Oh... So, that’s why you read my diary?”

You let out a sigh and lean back in your bed. “I didn’t know it was your diary at first. I just pulled a book out of the library and started reading, but... I did figure it out when you mentioned Rainbow and the rest just sort of fell into place... I should have put it down there, I should've, but I didn’t. I just wanted to know what was wrong so maybe I could help or fix what I did wrong. It was stupid and you have every right to be mad at me...”

Fluttershy shakes her head. “You... You didn’t do anything wrong,” she says, biting her lip nervously. “I... I wanted to tell you everything, but I kept telling myself that I needed to wait for the right time. And when I saw you with my diary, I...”

The room goes deafeningly quiet, leaving you and Fluttershy shifting around nervously.

“If you want leave now, you can...” you finally say aloud. “I mean, I don’t think I have anything else I can say about... well, everything.”

“No... I’ll stay here,” she says, shaking her head. “I, umm... I actually have a question. How much of my diary did you actually read?”

“I got to the... The really stained page. Where you talked about what Midnight did. I got through half of it before you... well, you know...”

“So... You don’t know what happened afterwards,” Fluttershy says solemnly.

You shake your head. “No. What happened aft-”

You bring a hoof up to your mouth and stop yourself. “No, no... I have no right to ask you to tell me what happened,” you say, ashamed of yourself. “I’m sorry, just forget what I said...”

“Can I... Can I tell you a story?” Fluttershy asks suddenly as she drags her chair closer to the head of your bed. “It’s... It’s a long story.”

“Why?” you ask in confusion. “What’s even about?”

Fluttershy takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly. “Because I think I should tell you now that you know at least half of it... It’s about... Summer Heart. And her first love, Sunny Skies. Sunny hurt Summer in a way that’s hurt her every day since it happened.”

You close your mouth and set your questions aside and just listen to what she has to say.

“Summer Heart met a stallion who made her feel... special. He treated her in ways she had never been treated before and made her feel truly loved, like she had found her soulmate. For a time, she was happy and they did everything together,” Fluttershy says, a small smile appearing on her face. “They went to the movies, had candlelit dinners and even went to the Hearts and Hooves Day dance together.”

Her smile slowly starts to fade and you watch her slowly tremble. “But Sunny wanted to... to take their relationship to the next level and become... physically intimate... But Summer wanted to wait and save herself, for when Sunny and her got married. But Sunny’s honeyed words swayed Summer and she caved for him... And that’s when Sunny’s true colors started to shine through. He... He...”

You reach out for her, wanting to comfort her, but stop yourself half way. “You don’t have to do this if you don’t want to.”

Fluttershy shakes her head. “No, no... I want to, it’s just...” Taking a deep breath, she steadies herself and continues. “Sunny betrayed Summer and left her after... after everything was said and done. Summer was hurt and cried for a long time. She thought she’d never be happy again; that the world was over. But she had the help of a very good friend who helped her and things got better for a time... But Summer started to notice something about the ponies around her. They looked at her differently. They whispered behind her back and pointed, judging her and acting like they knew something she didn’t. And that’s when she figured out that Sunny betrayed her in more ways than one. He not only betrayed her love, but he betrayed her trust, too.”

The room goes quiet and you feel your stomach get tied in knots as it all makes perfect sense. You reach out and gingerly take her hoof in yours. “And then... And then Summer met another pony that made her feel special again and managed to betray her trust by digging into a past that would have been better left buried. He didn’t mean to hurt her and even if he had all the best intentions at heart, the damage was done.”

Fluttershy looks to you, blinking past the tears before nodding quickly. “Y...Yes. And all those feelings of hurt and betrayal are all she can think of when she sees this pony that she used to have feelings for.”

“Can I... This is...” Taking a deep breath, you do you best to find your words. “I know this being bold, but I want ask you for something. But you have every right to say no and walk out the door.”

“I suppose... What is it that you want?” she asks in an almost scripted manner, as if she knew what you were going to say next.

“I want... Another chance,” you say before biting your lip and shaking your head. “Another date. Just to prove that I still love you.”

Fluttershy goes quiet and sits there, shifting around in her seat. After a few agonizing minutes of silence, she gets to her hooves and makes her way to the door; taking your heart with her.

“The doctor said you’d be ready to be discharged tomorrow morning. I’ll stop by again around then and... we’ll see,” she says, stopping at the doorway. “I need to think about it.”

Your heart doesn’t exactly soar at that response, but it doesn’t break either. All you can do is nod dumbly as she makes her way into the hallway.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” you call out weakly. As soon as the door shuts behind her, you fall back into the bed and bring your hooves up to your face and let out a little whimper. “I don’t want to lose her, I don’t want to lose her,” you chant under your breath. “I need to make this right...”

Taking a deep breath, you start to make plans.

Okay, if she says no? I’ll have lost her and... and... And I don’t even want to think about it. But if she says yes? I make this right. I’m going to get a dozen roses, some of those expensive chocolates, two tickets for a movie, dinner reservations, jewelry maybe? I need to-

A knock at your door jars you from your thoughts and makes you jump slightly. “Umm... Nurse?”

No answer. “Doctor?”

The door slowly opens and in the doorway stands a rather angry looking blue pegasus. “You know, it kind of sucks that you’re already in a hospital,” Rainbow Dash says as she stomps over to you. “Because more than anything right now, I want be the one who puts you here.”

Ohhh boy.... This can’t be good

“Rainbow, I-”

“No, you shut up now,” she says, poking her hoof into your chest. “I’m the one talking right now. Fluttershy and I have known eachother since we were fillies and while I may not always act like her best friend, I’ve always been there for her. And I am not going to sit by while you make her relive all those bad memories of her scumbag boyfriend and-”

“Rainbow, we just talked, we-”

“I said-” Rainbow stops and blinks. “Wait, you talked to her? She was just here?”

“Yeah... You didn’t see her leave?”

“No, but then again, I did come in through the back...” she says, glancing towards the door. Letting out a long sigh, she grabs the chair Fluttershy was just sitting in and falls into it. “Okay, I’ve already blown up at one pony without knowing everything that was going on, so I’m going to shut up now and hear what you have to say. But you better make it good.”

Looking to you and impatiently tapping her hoof, you roll your shoulders. “She... She came to see how I was. She wanted to know if I was okay and then was going to leave. I stopped her and well... We talked.”

“About what?” Rainbow asks sharply.

“About the... the thing. With Midnight and-”

Holding up a hoof, Rainbow stops you. “You don’t have to say any more. And to be honest, I don’t even want to think about it,” she says, running a hoof through her mane. “What else happened?”

“Well... I asked her for another chance. To take her on a date and show her I still loved her.”

“Aaand what exactly did you have planned to do this?” Rainbow asks with a hint of skepticism in her voice.

“I was going to go all out. Roses, chocolates, a movie, dinner, the works,” you say with a little laugh. “I’m willing to do whatever it takes to show her a wonderful time.”

Rainbow nods slowly and gives you a half smile. “Yeah, yeah... That’s great. If you want to show her how desperate you are.”

You blink in confusion. “What? What do you mean, desperate? I thought-”

“Wow, for being a guy who writes romance, you sure don’t understand mares,” she says with a scoff. “Not all mares like to be wooed by doing flashy stuff like that. I mean, Rarity does, but she’s a different case. But if I was in Fluttershy’s horseshoes and you pulled something like that? All I’d think is that you were trying to prove you loved me me with things, rather than like, actually showing it.”

“Then... Then what should I do? I mean, you know Fluttershy. I want to show her the time of her life, but apparently I don’t even know where to start.”

Rainbow Dash looks you up and down before folding her arms. “And just why should I help you? After everything that’s happened, why? Cause personally, I’d rather you just stay away.”

Grabbing at the bed, you haul yourself up and bring yourself face to face with her. “I need to make this right! I screwed up and I hurt her and I just want to make everything better. And I don’t care what I need to do, I’ll do it if it means I can say ‘I love you’ and hear her say it back.”

Blinking past tears and tensing yourself up, you muscle through it all and continue to stare Rainbow down until she lets out a sigh. “Lay back down before you pop a blood vessel,” she says as she gets to her hooves. “Against my better judgement, I’ll let you in on a few secrets... After that, what you do is all on you. One, Fluttershy hates to eat out at restaurants with a ton of ponies. She’s happier dining in. Two, she likes karaoke.”

You blink a few times in confusion as you hear that second part. “I’m sorry? I’m not doubting you, it’s just...”

“Yeah...” she says with a small nod. “She doesn’t look like the pony who like singing in front of a crowd... And you’re right. While she likes to sing, she likes to hear others sing even more. There are a few karaoke bars around Ponyville, so take your pick.”

Stopping at the door, Rainbow looks back to you, a glint of hostility in her eye. “DON’T screw this up,” she practically barks. “If you do, I’ll never forgive you for hurting her not once, but twice.”

You nod quickly. “I won’t. I promise.”

“I’m going to hold you to that,” she says before closing the door behind her, leaving you alone again.

Taking a deep breath, you focus and think, tossing away plans of moonlight serenades and mull over Rainbow’s advice.

No candlelit dinners at some fancy restaurant... But still, a dinner would work...

A smile creeps across your face as it finally hits you.

I’m not the best cook, but I can at least try to make something for her... But what about the karaoke thing? I don’t know a single bar in Ponyville... I need a phone...

Looking around your bed, you manage to find the remote that was supposed to call the nurse and hammered on the button until she walked in.

“Is there something wrong?” she asks, sounding slightly concerned.

“No, umm... Miss... Miss...”

“Redheart,” she says flatly. “Now what do you need?”

“Miss Redheart. Is there anyway you can get me a few things? Like a phone book? And a phone?”

Nurse Redheart taps her hoof and gives you a look. “You know, you aren’t supposed to do anything mentally straining for a while... I don’t know if-”

“Please, this is important. I’m not doing algebra here, I just want to talk to a few ponies. And if I seriously get another headache or feel dizzy or whatever, I’ll stop and let either you or the doctor know. Now, please. Can I get a phone book and a phone?”

“I’ll... I’ll see what I can do,” she says with a heavy sigh. “Good to see you’re feeling better already.”

You manage a small smile “Thank you.”

You watch Nurse Redheart trot out of your room and hear her disappear down the hallway, leaving you to nervously tap your hoof against the side of your bed.

You can do this, you can do this. You’re doing it for her. Just remember that and there’s no way you can screw this up.

As much as you wanted to believe yourself, you couldn’t stop your nervous jitters.

I need a smoke...

*********************************************

“Okay, yeah... That works. Thanks for talking to me like this, I’m sorry I can’t be in person for this, I’m kind of tied up at the moment.”

“Oh sure, it’s no problem!” the mare says over the phone. “But yeah, while we have an open bar, we can reserve a table for you, plus one pony. How does 7 PM tomorrow sound? That’s our first opening.”

“Ohh that is beautiful,” you say, smiling like an idiot. “Umm, I saw an ad here in the phonebook about your specialty nights... What are you doing tomorrow?”

“Hold on, lemme check... Uhh... Tomorrow’s saturday, so we’re doing Hot Cider Saturdays and our musical selection will feature artists just starting out or those not widely known. A lot of our patrons like it because they tend to leave with a new musician or band that they like.”

“That sounds great! I’ll take that reservation, if that’s well and good.”

“Sure thing. Is there anything else I can do for you or is that everything?”

“No, that’ll be it. Thanks again, miss.”

“Anytime! Thanks for calling 15 Minutes and I hope you enjoy yourself tomorrow.”

“Oh, I think we will.”

Setting the phone down on the receiver, you let out a long sigh and lay back in your bed. “Oh, I hope we will...” you say before letting out a long yawn. Glancing at the clock, you grab your covers and curl up. “I need to get some rest,” you mumble into your pillow.

Closing your eyes, you try your best to let sleep take you, but your mind was rushing a mile a minute.

Tomorrow... That’s when it’s all supposed to happen...

Gripping at the sheets, you do your best to calm yourself as you start imagining everything that could happen tomorrow.

I have never been more terrified or anxious for a sunrise in my whole life...

Rolling onto your stomach, you shut your eyes tight and bury your face in the pillow. “Don’t overthink it, don’t stress about it... just... get some sleep...” you mutter under your breath. “Sleep...”

Chanting this mantra, your stressed mind eventually melts and everything starts to slow until you finally feel yourself drift off to some much needed rest.