• Published 30th Aug 2014
  • 1,200 Views, 61 Comments

City Scape - TigerSwirl448



Rainbow Dash has to clear Twilight Sparkle’s name of a crime she didn't commit and save Cloudsdale from terrorists that want to control the city. Inspired by Mirror's Edge.

  • ...
18
 61
 1,200

Chapter 16: The Makeover

Chapter 16
The Makeover

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~


Tonight was the big night, and Rainbow Dash had spent most of the daylight hours perched atop a stool in her friend’s bathroom. She stared into the mirror, and a total stranger glared back with a hint of scorn. What Applejack’s significant other claimed were simple procedures were anything but, and Dash had been poked, prodded, and primmed with so many different styling implements that she had given up counting. If she had known that there would have been so much fuss, the runner would have canned the whole thing and waited the extra day to see Twilight. It was now too late in the game to backtrack, and Dash wasn’t one to back away from a challenge.

After all the talk and planning the night before, she had opted to stay the night on the couch instead of risk jumping roof to roof in an exhausted stupor in the dark. But getting actual sleep was a challenge in an unfamiliar place, and it didn't help that Rarity was wide awake in the guest bedroom-turned-workshop creating something for the ball. The whirring of sewing machines came to an abrupt halt at about three in the morning, when a cranky Applejack practically dragged the seamstress away from her inspiration.

Later that morning, Rainbow’s sound sleep was disturbed by a heavenly aroma. The smell of bacon and eggs was a dose of nostalgia that brought her right back to the early days – when her father would cook breakfast on weekends he had off. But a lazy flutter of eyelids revealed that she was only correct about the plate of food. Her father was nowhere to be found, but AJ’s knowing grin was front and center.

“Yeah, I figured that would wake you up.”

Robbed of her childhood reverie, Dash sat up and grabbed the glass of orange juice, downing a bit before sputtering out a question.

“What time is it?”

Applejack glanced back towards the kitchen. “About eight, give or take.”

With an indifferent shrug, Rainbow grabbed the fork and started wolfing down the contents of the plate. As the defenseless omelet was cut up and devoured, Applejack chuckled lightly and patted Dash on the shoulder.

“When you’re done there, get in the shower. Rarity has some special conditioners and the like for you to use, but uh, just make sure your hair is washed well.”

Rainbow swallowed a mouthful of egg and glared at her. “I’m not six anymore, AJ.”

“I know, but for this to work, Rarity needs to cut your hair.”

Rainbow groaned in exasperation. Her wild appearance was her signature, and she hated the idea of replacing it with some boring haircut and dower clothing just to fit in. But that was the price to pay for admission, and to see Twilight.

After finishing her plate of food, Dash pushed off the sofa and made to leave, but was stopped by Applejack.

“Hold up.”

Rainbow looked back with a sideways glance. “Yeah?”

“How was it?”

“How was what?”

Instead of giving a clear answer, Applejack simply waved her hand at the plate with nothing but crumbs remaining. When she finally got the message, a sly grin graced Dash’s face.

“It was ai’ight.”

“Ai’ight, huh?” Applejack stared Rainbow down with a stern eye, looking for any kind of discrepancy in the review of her cooking. When she found none, her serious demeanor was reduced to chortling laughter, which Dash happily joined into.

“Heh heh, you haven’t changed in the slightest.”

“Well what can I say; I am awesome!”

“Oh yeah?” Applejack pointed a joking finger. “We’ll see how awesome you are once Rarity is through with you.”

Dash’s face fell. “Urgh, don’t remind me.”

With that, Rainbow consigned herself to fate, and slowly made her way to the bathroom. She didn’t pay much attention to the rundown of various shampoos and conditioners that Rarity wanted her to use, only grabbing the most basic one and stepping into the shower. The blessing of steaming hot water from the showerhead wasn’t lost on her, since the piddly apparatus that was a shower back at HQ only had two settings – cold, and colder. And that was considered a luxury.

Five minutes later, she left the shower and donned a bathrobe before allowing Rarity back in.

“Are we all ready, dear?”

Rainbow sighed. “As ready as I’ll ever be.”

Before the dreaded makeover could commence, Applejack poked her head in the bathroom – dressed in her security uniform.

"Need me to get anything for you and Dash while I’m at work?"

Rarity looked at Rainbow's mop of wet hair, then turned to Applejack. "No, I think we have all we need. Thank you dear."

She paused with worry. "Do you really have to go?"

Applejack shrugged. "Sorry. I have to help the others in getting the area set up for that party. Got to make sure that checkpoint is fit to bring in guests."

She then pointed at Rainbow. "Don't give Rarity too much trouble, alright. And if you do go out, wait until this evening."

Rainbow gave a flat look. "I'm not stupid, AJ."

"Just making sure."

Applejack sighed and entered the cramped bathroom, walking over to Rarity and placing a tender kiss on her cheek. "Love you, see you later."

Rarity smiled back. "Be safe."

Even though it was common knowledge that Applejack was in a serious relationship, it was still surprising for Rainbow to see one of the toughest people she knew of giving out tender kisses and loving embraces. She felt like she was intruding in private affairs, that it wasn’t her place to view their intimacy.

“You know, I-I could…”

The lovers disconnected from their hug, and Applejack reached over and patted Rainbow on the head.

“Sorry partner, but you’re not slipping away that easily.”

Dash growled an unintelligible obscenity as her once again friend left for work.

Once she heard the front door close, Rarity turned to Rainbow with a smile.

"So, first time being alone together."

Rainbow rolled her eyes. "What’s that supposed to mean?"

Rarity immediately backpedaled. “I didn’t mean it like that, dear...”

After a moment of awkward silence, Rarity sighed. "May I ask you a personal question?"

Rainbow quirked her brow while watching Rarity from the mirror. "Depends on the question."

Rarity bit her lip then sighed. "Has Applejack ever told you about her past?"

Rainbow shook her head. "No, she’s never really said anything about that. I just... left it alone after a while."

"Oh..."

"Why do you ask?"

"I guess I feel bad. I told Applejack all about my history, but when I want to learn more about her, she shuts down. It's hard for me to understand why."

Rainbow shrugged. "It's just her way of coping. Don’t take it personally if she doesn't want to tell you about it."

Rarity ran her hands down her face. "I know. But we're going to be married soon, and I don't know anything about her."

"Sure you do." Rainbow spun on the stool to face Rarity. "You've been with her for a long while. You know she's honest, strong... caring. You don't need to know her past to understand her now."

Rarity looked at her for a long moment, then smiled softly. "You're right, but it's killing me to know. Did Applejack say anything, anything at all about her past, or family?"

Rainbow nodded solemnly. "When we first met, she told me that she had a baby sister and an older brother. She was with her grandmother and siblings for their family business here in Cloudsdale. Then they attacked."

Rarity bit her lip. "Well, I guess that's better than nothing."

Rainbow wrung her hands. "After a while she stopped hoping... like I did with my dad."

"Oh." Rarity shuffled her feet. "I'm sorry darling. I didn't mean to open any old wounds. I can be so selfish sometimes."

Rainbow smirked. "Says the lady helping me get my first date free of charge. But really, think nothing of it. Applejack was the one that helped me through that time. What about you?"

"Hmm?"

"Did you lose anyone?"

Rarity nodded as she dragged a comb through Rainbow's hair. "Yes. I had a mother, father, and a baby sister myself. When the attack happened, we were fortunate enough to be living south of the area that was hit. After that, my father began to notice a shift in politics. Values of compassion and tolerance gave way to fear and hate. And then this Griffin man came into the picture with promises of a safer future. When the old congress found out what those promises entailed, they tried to reassert control, but they were unsuccessful and were quickly ousted from power. In the name of peace and order, of course.

Rainbow nodded. "I remember that time. It began the riots."

Rarity nodded. "Indeed. My father and a few others from the disbanded congress created the march against Griffin and his new military rule. It didn't end well." Rarity replied softly. "Several months of continuous marches turned riots ended in failure, and made Griffin and his army into a driving force. Father never came back one night. We feared the worst when my mother heard rumors that several family friends’ loved ones who were in the marches were either turning up dead… or not turning up at all.

"After that, mother made a back alley deal with some questionable fellows to get my sister and I out of the city. That plan didn't go well, either. When we met with the smuggler to get us out, we were suddenly attacked by the Griffin army of thugs. One of the smugglers grabbed my sister and another grabbed me. We were separated."

Rarity whispered sadly. “That was the last time I saw my mother alive.”

Rainbow bit her lip. "I'm sorry."

Rarity smiled softly. "Thank you dear. But that was the past."

"What happened after?"

Rarity shook her head. "After the whole ordeal I never saw my sister. And to save his own skin, the smuggler abandoned me in what you and Applejack call Low Town. I was taken in by a home for young girls."

Rainbow nodded. "I remember those. Applejack and I escaped a couple of them when we were little. That was before the Griffs stepped in and shut em’ down."

Rarity nodded with a smile hearing that. "Yes, it was there where I learned how to sew." She snorted with disgust. “Child labor."

“How did you get out?”

"Well, I thought a lot about my future there. I could either waste away in one place, or I could leave, learn, and gain a future. When I was fifteen, I escaped the home and began my life. I was hired at several warehouses before I got my current job. Things are better now. Well, better as it'll ever be, considering..."

"Did you ever hear about your sister?"

Dash remembered the information that Thunderlane had dug up about Rarity's sister being the singer Sweetie Belle. The fact that she had not only escaped, but was expressing her experiences through popular music had definitely put the elder sibling on the authorities’ radar. It was definitely something that she wanted to bring up to Applejack later.

Rarity nodded and continued. "After moving into the middle district I heard about her being a singer and celebrity in Equestria. But I don't know." She replied with uncertainty. "It could be my sister, but yet... unless I see her face and hear her voice with my own eyes and ears and not on some TV screen or through a radio speaker, I won’t know for sure.

Rainbow nodded. "I'm sorry to bring it all up."

Rarity shakes her head. "No, it's alright dear. I always feel better after opening up."

After a moment of silence, Rarity brought her hands together in a light clap. “Speaking of the past. It's time to get rid of yours.”

Rainbow gulped at the menacing pair of tiny styling scissors that the seamstress picked off of the vanity. "Are we seriously going to go that far?"

Rarity quirked her brow. "Do you want to see this girl or not?"

Dash blushed. "I do."

"Then you'll have to look the part dear." Rarity replied as she began to cut. "Besides, it'll grow back. You'll be back to your… usual self in a month or two. Now face the mirror."

When she faced the mirror once again, Rainbow took one last look at her natural vibrant hair – before shutting her eyes. She hated the idea of losing something so integral, but it would all be worth it in the end, right?

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

"Howdy ya'll! Back with lunch!"

Applejack elbowed the apartment door shut and quickly shuffled her way to the kitchen, shoes be damned. Her hands were occupied as it was with two sacks of takeout from the local burger joint, and she wasn’t in the mood to worry about tracked in dirt too much. With her bags now out of hand and on the counter, she was able to drop her keys and remove her security hat that had begun to itch after a few hours of continuous wear.

She then removed her jacket, and recoiled slightly at the scent of onion from the burgers – among other things. Great, gotta wash this damn thing again.

"Oh Jack, welcome back." Rarity said excitedly as she walked out from the bathroom. "Early too?"

Applejack glowered. "Eeyup, they wanted us day guards to leave and make room for the Special Forces to come in. Bunch of stuck up fools, treating us like filth even after we set the place up for them.”

“Anyway...” She hung her jacket over the back of a chair, and faced Rarity with a cracked grin. “How’d the monster do?”

Rarity almost squealed in delight. “Ooh, I thought you’d never ask!”

She pointed towards the hall leading to the hall, and just like somebody announcing the next top model, Rarity declared, "Introducing the new Rainbow Dash!"

Applejack knew that in her lover’s mind, camera flashes were snapping off, music was booming through speakers, and the crowd was oohing and aahing. But in the real world, there was silence.

She leaned in close to Rarity’s ear. “What exactly did you do to her?”

Rarity had a look of absolute innocence. “We did all the things that were discussed last night. Now, if she would come out…”

“... Fine.”

Applejack knew that her fiancée was capable of many things, but when the person she thought was her childhood friend came into view with a furious blush, she couldn’t hide her surprise.

"Well I’ll be..."

She sounded like Rainbow Dash, but that was where any similarities ended. The trademark rainbow locks of hair were nowhere to be found, dyed dark and replaced with the much less flashy short hairstyle that was commonplace in higher society.

"We had trouble with the brown dye." Rarity walked over and ran a fingers through Rainbow’s hair, causing the runner to go another shade red. "I found some old black dye lying around and it worked wonders. Also, it'll hide her roots until her natural hair grows out again."

"You did good Rarity, I hardly recognize her."

“I know! Now all we need to do is finish her ensemble, and we’ll be set for tonight.”

“Hey, you said I could take a break!”

Rarity looked to Rainbow. “Yes, I did say that. Well, since Applejack brought lunch, why don’t you two eat while I finish up. I’m guessing you two have much to discuss.”

“What about you, Rarity? Ya’ll look like you’ve been at it all day.”

Rarity had already reached into one of the bags, and a plastic salad container was in her hand. “Apologies, Applejack. But I am in the zone, as t’were.”

“Eh, suit yourself.”

After Rarity left the room, Rainbow spoke up. "What do you think?"

Applejack chuckled while rubbing the back of her neck. "Gotta admit, I'm a bit shocked. If my employers don’t recognize you, then nobody will."

She frowned. "Are you doing alright? I know this is a big change for you."

Rainbow shrugged. "I'm alright. Besides... I want to see Twilight in a comfortable setting."

"Comfortable for her?"

"Well yeah!" Rainbow said quickly. "I want to see her in her element and after learning that she was always in high society in Canterlot... perhaps this is where I can do that."

Applejack quirked her brow. "Sounds to me that you want to impress her."

Rainbow shrugged while walking over to the takeout bags. "Maybe I do. What's wrong with that?" she asked while reaching in for a sleeve of French fries.

Applejack sighed. "Nothing, it just feels like deja vu to me. You just sounded like myself when I chose to leave for the streets."

"Maybe I'm starting to accept things." Rainbow replied softly. "Things are different than they were before."

"Ain’t that the truth." Applejack agreed. "Got ya a burger."

She reached into the second sack, and pulled out a wrapped sandwich and handed it to Dash. “No onions, if I recall correctly."

Rainbow smirked. "Thanks.” She visibly shivered. “ Yeah, I still don't eat onions."

Applejack chuckled at that.

"So, found anything to wear?" Applejack asked.

"While my hair was being treated," Rainbow stopped to take a bite from her burger. She swallowed, pointing her thumb to the bedroom. “You’re girlfriend was working on something – said it would work splendidly with my new look."

Applejack nodded. “Yep, that’s Rarity for ya’.”

"Rainbow Dash, I want you to try this on!" Rarity called. "I want to make sure I made the right measurements."

Applejack stood up. "Speaking of Rarity, I kinda want to see what she came up with."

Rainbow took another bite of her burger before setting it and the fries down, and followed Applejack to the studio.

Unlike the other rooms in the immaculate apartment, Rarity’s workshop looked like a tornado had ripped through it at some point. Streamers of fabric were strewn all across the floor. Boxes and books were stacked high in the corners. And in the middle of it all, the fashionista was manipulating a black suit jacket that was currently being worn by a generic female mannequin.

"Rainbow, come stand here please." Rarity indicated to a small stepping stool by the full length mirror with her foot.

With a groan, Rainbow went over to the stool while being careful to dodge any errant rolls of thread or other utensils that posed a tripping hazard. Once up on the stool, she couldn’t help but notice some of the more elaborate designs that Rarity had drawn and taped to the mirror frame. The sketches of wild, flowing fabrics would likely never see the light of day do to the harsh regulations pertaining to clothing, so they remained on the drawing board, so to speak.

Rarity walked up behind her, and gently guided the unfinished jacket up Dash’s arms and onto her body.

“Shoulders back!”

Without waiting for a reply, Rarity grabbed Rainbow’s shoulders and pulled them back, forcing her into a straight posture.

"Good. Now, stand perfectly still."

She took a step back to admire Rainbow's new black suit jacket, with Applejack now standing next to her.

"Hmm, what do you think? Did I match her figure well?"

Applejack placed her fingers to her chin – looking Rainbow up and down.

"Hmm. Rarity, you did a great job."

"Good!" Rarity giggled excitedly. "She looks ready to just dance the night away!"

"Dance?" Rainbow gasped as her shoulders slumped forward again, causing Rarity to groan in annoyance. "I have to dance?"

Applejack broke into a guffawing horselaugh while Rarity looked absolutely flabbergasted.

"I-It's a ball, darling. Of course you have to dance."

"Fuck me."

Rainbow suddenly yelped in pain from a sharp object. She looked over her shoulder to see Rarity giving her a dangerous look – pin in hand.

"Now, now, not in my house."

Dash looked to Applejack for salvation, but wasn’t too surprised to see her friend giggling behind her hand instead.

"Traitor." Rainbow snarled with a glare.

Applejack shrugged in answer. "Will she be ready by this evening?"

"The party doesn't start until late correct?"

"Right,"

"Then of course she'll be ready by then."

Applejack nodded. “Excellent."

She then left the studio and crossed the hallway into the master bedroom. She navigated her way around the queen sized bed that took up most of the room, to stop when she reached the dresser on her side. An opened bottom drawer revealed several sets of neatly folded clothing inside which she parted to reach the bottom. She quickly saw a sliver of silver, which was pulled out of its hiding spot and back into the world.

The old MP3 player was fairly light, but in Applejack’s grip it felt like a leaded weight. It was like an anchor – keeping her tethered to the life she had left behind, and it wasn’t going to falter anytime soon. Just yesterday, its existence wouldn’t have even crossed her mind, but with Dash in her life once again…

She pressed the big round button, and the screen snapped to attention, revealing nothing except for a simple password prompt. The pass didn’t involve any characters, but rather a certain sequence of buttons had to be pressed for entry.

Applejack made her way out of the room while messing with the buttons on the machine, trying to remember her personal code. A click to the left, down, two to the right, then left...

"Whoa, you actually kept that old thing?"

She looked up to see that she was standing aimlessly in the doorway to the studio, and that Rainbow was currently getting her sleeve looked over by a keen eye who was adding little pins here and there to mark quick changes and tucks.

"Yeah," Applejack replied. "I couldn’t bring myself to toss it. Figured that if something went awry, you would at least be able to contact me. I’ll be right back.”

She left the room, out to the kitchen and right out the front door, grabbing her jacket in the process. Down the hall and up the stairs, she came out of the service exit and stepped out into the brisk mid-afternoon air. Without any extra time wasted, she pulled a cigarette and lit it up, taking a long drag of the vile smoke it produced. It would soon do its dirty deed, relieving all the stress in her mind and tension in her muscles that had been steadily building all afternoon, only to demand that she do it again soon.

Finally feeling some relief, she held the cigarette in her mouth and re-entered her pass. The screen flashed, and a list of frequencies with signal strength indicators beside them. They were not named, so she guessed that the strongest connection was coming from Rainbow’s device downstairs. She scrolled through the short list, and picked the one for HQ.

“H-hey.”

Applejack smacked herself. Not only wasn’t the ear bud or microphone plugged in, but she doubted that a simple hey guys would be appropriate after being out of the loop for so long. With the bud now in ear, she keyed the mike and tried again.

"Big-T, this is AJ. Reporting."

After a lengthy wait, a peal of white noise sounded through the headset. After a few more seconds, the signal cleared up and the man himself came in loud and clear.

"I haven't heard that handle in a very long time."

Applejack smiled as she tapped the ashes off the cigarette back in hand.

"It sure has old friend. Listen, I need a favor, and I know you have eyes everywhere in Low Town."

"Sure I do... why are you asking?"

"Listen, who is free tonight?”

"Why? Wait, is Rainbow with you? Is she alright?"

"Yes she's with me, and she's fine. Perfectly fine."

"... Why is she with you?"

Applejack took a long drag, then slowly exhaled. "Look, this is a personal thing for Dash, and I want your’s and the others full cooperation."

"Alright, alright. What did you want us to do?"

"Who's free?"

"Well, uh... we have Pinkie and Ditzy here now."

Applejack nodded. "They'll have to do. Anyway, you know about Rainbow's dear outsider friend, right? Don’t lie to me that you haven't seen them together."

The only response received was a sputtering, coughing fit from the other end of line. Once things got back under control, Thunderlane choked out.

“How do you know about that?!”

Applejack chuckled. “An old friend told me. Anyway, you know where she lives?"

"Um, yeah. I know the address."

"Good," Applejack took on a more serious tone. "I want you to send Pinkie and Ditz over there and watch the place. And have them report any suspicious activity."

Thunderlane didn’t hide his suspicion. "Why?”

"Rainbow is going on a date tonight. I have a plan, and I want to know when the girl leaves the residence."

"Ah, I see. You want Rainbow to meet her somewhere?"

"Right. Look, let me know when you get those two there."

Thunderlane hummed his answer. "Right away, AJ."

Applejack made to pull out the ear bud and end the transmission, but a shout stopped her.

"AJ!"

She keyed her mike again. “Yeah?”

"It's nice to hear from you again. We’re missing you here."

Applejack felt an emotional pang of nostalgia hearing that from him, and she smiled sadly. "I miss you and the others too. AJ, out."

"Radio silence."

For a few seconds after, Thunderlane’s customary farewell rung in her ears. She didn’t know if it was the drugs or something more personal that was causing her to choke up, but hearing Thunderlane again brought some buried emotions back to life. She leaned against the structure housing the service entrance, and allowed herself to slide down to the concrete roof. Once down, a weary hand came up to cradle her head.

The only contact Applejack had with her old group up to that point was through Rainbow Dash’s bitter admonishment. But hearing from another member of her group who was much further from judgmental made her feel normal again; a feeling of being free from chains that kept her on the street. Chains that kept her medicated, kept her marching in step with the Griffs – freedom from everything that was keeping her down and out.

She had made her choice, and it wasn’t made lightly.

But she wondered, now more than ever, if she had made the right choice.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Vinyl couldn’t help but yawn as the little jingle for the six o’clock news played through the television speakers. It was old, stale, and boring, but she still turned up the volume to see if they had anything worthwhile to say.

What she got instead was an aerial view of Cloudsdale Plaza, decorated to the nines, but not in the way she would have liked. Instead of the colorful decorations associated with Nightmare Night, the Plaza was dressed up with dull, silver embellishments just like all the other functions held there. And the crowd of people were just as stale. Black dresses, black suits, and not a unique soul to be seen.

"Nightmare Night! What a Fright!"

The frame changed to the fake grins and cheesy laughter of the anchors, who gave toothy smiles before getting right into their broadcast

"Tonight is in fact Nightmare Night, ladies and gentlemen. And also, tonight is the Great Night Ball in Cloudsdale Plaza. Sponsored of course by our great police force, Griffin Security. As always, a reminder that curfew will be extended for tonight's festivities. The curfew has changed from eight sharp to ten sharp. And now, let's talk to Speedy with the weather report-"

Vinyl stabbed at the remote, changing the channel while grinding her teeth. Some party.

"Hey, Vinyl."

Vinyl turned in her seat to see Octavia walk out of the bedroom, dressed in a wool sweater and jeans.

"You ready to head out?"

Vinyl thought for a moment. Octavia had been invited to a block party being put on by her colleagues from work. By extension, Vinyl was invited as well, but she knew just who these coworkers were, and wasn't too keen on going to a place filled with Griff supporters. But she didn't want to ruin Octavia’s fun either…

"Alright," Vinyl relented as she stood up and took aim with the remote, silencing the television.

The remote was dropped on the couch, and she retrieved her hoodie from the coat hook.

"Where are we going again?" she asked while sliding her arms into the sleeves.

"We’re heading over to one of the best places in the Middle district."

With a lack of enthusiasm, Vinyl followed Octavia out the door and down to the ground floor of their building. Instead of waiting at the bus stop across the street like she had assumed, Octavia decided on walking to the spot instead. Vinyl didn’t really mind. Even if the party turned out to be a dud, it would still feel good to get out.

After walking for a few blocks in the nippy autumn evening with hands in her pockets, Vinyl began to smell something in the air, something that was slowly identified as the smell of spices and barbeque. And was that… jovial laughter? Vinyl looked over to see that Octavia was getting visibly excited as she rushed forward and turned the corner. Vinyl ran after her, and stopped dead when she saw what was in store.

She had been expecting something much more controlled or pompous. But instead, she was greeted with something she had only seen in the underground as a child. Masses of people were clogging up the street, with makeshift vendors selling drinks, goods, candy, and even silly handmade masks. And there were even some folks bold enough to be in full costume. It was a straight-up Nightmare Night party.

Octavia turned to notice Vinyl's shocked face.

"What's wrong?"

It took Vinyl a few seconds to formulate words. "I wasn't expecting this."

Octavia smiled softly. "I know you had a hard time trusting this idea, but I really think you’ll enjoy this as much as I do."

As Vinyl followed her girlfriend’s lead into the festivities, she still couldn't believe that such a party could exist. Adults, lovers, parents, children, even pets. Everyone was laughing, singing, and dancing to the music blasting out of a rather high-end soundstage. And she could practically feel the pleasant and friendly atmosphere.

"Wow," Vinyl whispered in shock. "With all this noise, you’d think that guards would come running.”

"Guards?!"

A roar of laughter brought the duo’s attention to a man with an orange cowlick of hair and matching mustache, who promptly waved off the idea of a crackdown with a flicked hand.

"Honey, all those stuffy stuck up nosed guards are at the plaza."

He went in for another round of laughter as his partner joined in as well.

"I bet you twenty bits that those losers are enjoying that ball. Can you imagine the boredom?"

A chorus of affirming sentiment from those nearby enough to hear the exchange rung out, further cementing their position.

Vinyl always thought that apart from Octavia, anybody who worked for – and by extension – supported the Griffs were either narcissists or cowards. But hearing actual employees speaking out against the regime was quickly changing her mind. I can’t believe I never knew about this, some voice of the people I was...

Vinyl wasn’t allowed to engage in any self-pity as Octavia grabbed her by the wrist and dragged deeper into the crowd of rabble rousers. From snippets of other conversations that she was no longer tuning out, Vinyl could hear more of the same feelings. They were all sick of their restrictive lifestyles; but, at least for one night of the year, they could ease their frustrations by partying like there was no tomorrow.

Octavia stopped dragging when the crowd turned into a queue. They lined up in a loose line in front of a trailer attached to a pickup truck, and one whiff of the spices and herbs lingering in the air told her why.

“What do you think now?”

Vinyl wanted to answer Octavia with some kind of witty remark, but settled for just saying what she felt instead. "Damn, I never thought people here would be so vocal."

"Yes." Octavia took a nervous look around before continuing. "Luckily, they're doing it without any guards around to hear, or we would be in huge trouble."

Vinyl chuckled. "I can imagine."

The long line moved surprisingly quickly, and soon they were right next to the food trailer.

Octavia pointed her thumb towards the open back of the trailer. "Come on, you have to try Betty's Chili. It's to die for."

Author's Note:

Heyo! Back with another chapter of City Scape. Edited by the awesome An-Twan Star. (thanks buddy :D)

Sorry for the wait, I've been busy and preoccupied with a bunch of stuff.

So the next chapter is slowly being written now and will be coming out soon. Later guys. ;)

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment