• Published 21st Mar 2012
  • 2,591 Views, 82 Comments

Mobile Fighter G-Pony - Raryn



Ponies piloting giant pony mechs in a fighting tournament for the right to rule Equestria!

  • ...
1
 82
 2,591

Episode 10: Nightmare Rising

"Zippy zippy zippy," Pinkie said as she spun the Shining Pony around, trying to keep her opponent in view, lest they deliver some crippling attack to her suit. "Just what you'd expect from the Derbyshire colony." Her opponent, the pony suit of Derbyshire colony, the Derby Pony, continued it's speedy tactics. It was a slight thing, streamlined and aerodynamic to get the least resistance from the air. The earth pony design showing thrusters built into the frame of the suit completely devoid of any protective armor save for the standard chest armor meant to protect the pilot. The suit's mane and tail trailing behind it like a blur as it circled.

"But not fast enough. RD's suit was much faster, and could fly. Pinkie Cannon Mk. II!" The cannon unfurled from the Shining Pony's side and fired, hitting the ground well away from the Derby. A laugh echoed from the enemy suit at the attack, until the Derby ran right into the hole formed by the cannon blast and went skidding to the ground.

"Tsk tsk." The Shining Pony hopped over to the fallen Derby Pony, shaking its head. "You really should have been watching where you were going. Don't worry though, you'll be able to have another chance in four years." Both front hooves of the Shining Pony began to glow with a familiar light as it reared up and slammed both shining hooves into the head of the Derby. "It was fun though. We really should do this again. Ya know, when it's not for the right to rule and everything."

"Pinkie!" Twilight's voice cut through the cockpit of the Shining Pony.

"Eep!" The Shining Pony jumped several dozen feet into the air in response to its pilot doing the same. "Twilight, you startled me."

"Sorry Pinkie," Twilight apologized. "But we've got urgent news! Ponyville's been attacked. I just got a broadcast from the colony, they don't know who attacked, all they know is that it's a force of several dozen pony suits!"

"What!? Twilight, we need to get home!"

"Already ahead of you, Pinkie." Twilight blinked into cockpit of the Shining Pony carrying all of their luggage and equipment. "Get running, we need to get back as soon as possible!"


"Now, this is quite the situation." MR's voice echoed through the darkness as the familiarly pink clad earth pony was lit up. "Greetings and Salutations, everypony. It's been awhile," he said as a small video screen played a scene of the Shining Pony rushing as fast as it could go over the Equestrian wilderness to reach Ponyville. "'As you can see, the Ponyville Pony suit and its pilot are in dire straights; their hometown under siege from an unknown assailant. But is it really unknown? Today, we shall find the answers to many questions that have risen since this journey began."

The screen switched from the Shining pony to a cloaked pony overlooking Ponyville in flames, strange looking pony suits rampaging through the city.

"Now, who is this pony that watches? That, you will find out for yourself, for today's opponent will be the dangerous Nightmare army!" MR jumped off his stool and in one swift motion, pulled off both his suit and eye patch, revealing his bright pink shirt and bow tie and his perfectly normal working right eye. "Now, pony fight all set. Ready, Go!"


Mobile Fighter G-Pony Episode 10
Nightmare Rising


Dark smoke rose in the distance as Pinkie and Twilight sped towards their home, anxiety and dread hanging heavy as they hoped all those they knew and loved were safe and sound. As the core lander cleared a bluff, the full scale of the situation struck. Ponyville was in shambles. Fires raged along the streets, the remains of buildings devastated by fire and more sent massive amounts of smoke into the air. Those buildings yet untouched by the destruction were far and few between. Though, the city's governmental headquarters building was safe, the tall metal building sat in the distance, surrounded by Ponyville pony suits. With any luck, the ponied of the city had managed to take refuge there.

"Our home..." Pinkie's words trailed off as her hair began to deflate in the face of the destruction. She closed her eyes for a moment and turned her head away from the city before setting her face with solid resolve and jumping clear of the core lander and running full tilt towards her home.

"Pinkie!" Twilight called after her friend, but it was too late, Pinkie had already made her way down from the bluff and was quickly making her way to the city. She knew what Pinkie was feeling. She felt the same way: angry, confused, scared. Who could have attacked the city. The rules of the tournament didn't bar fighting in cities, but it did bar direct attacks, which this looked like. Twilight shook these thoughts away when she realized that Pinkie had run off into what could be an extremely dangerous situation alone. "Oh, horse apples!" Twilight jumped out of the core lander and ran after Pinkie.


The devastation of Ponyville was terrible. Pinkie had barely even reached the outskirts of the city and it was already looking worse than what had happened in Hoofington all those months ago, when the disgraced pony suit pilot, Trixie, had gone on a rampage. Buildings were reduced to rubble, familiar places were gone, smoke and fire filled the air, but that wasn't the worst of it. The worse thing was the silence. There was no sound, save for the crackling of fire and the groaning of those buildings that still stood. Where were all the ponies that had lived here? Had they all managed to make it out safely?

Then, a new sound pulled Pinkie's attention away from her thoughts, a very familiar sound. The sound of gears spinning, of pistons moving, of a magic reactor firing up. A twitch running through her tail saved Pinkie as she dove out of the way of a large mechanical hand smashing down where she had been a moment before. Out of the smoke rose a pony suit, but not a normal one, this was a grotesque, misshapen perversion of a pony suit. It had the body of a standard pony suit, though it was squat, with six powerful looking legs ending in spikes. Where it's head should have been was just another body, a torso like that of a diamond dog or a minotaur. Two mighty arms sat at it's shoulders, ending in large clawed hands. And, crowning the suit was a pony head with a single eye scanning the area. And topping all that off, it was a a dirty yellow in color, highlighted by dull greenish-brown armor along its torso, shoulders and hips.

The suit reminded Pinkie of something, and in that instant, she had an idea of what had happened to Ponyville. But, the suit raised its arm from the ground and turned its attention to Pinkie and raised both arms, poised to attack. As it swung its arms down again, Pinkie dodged the attack and drove both hind legs into the arm.

"My sisters would not do this to Ponyville! Who are you!? Come out and face me like a pony!" The pony suit simply raised its arms for another attack in response, sending Pinkie scurrying away to seek shelter behind a pile of rubble. "It can't be true... Inkie... Blinkie... you wouldn't do something like this..." A large shudder going though her was all the warning that she got as the pony suit sent one of its arms flying towards Pinkie's hiding spot, guided by a set of wires and thrusters. It struck the rubble pile, sending it and Pinkie flying. She landed roughly, and as she pulled herself up, the pony suit was on top of her and its arms already coming down swinging.

Pinkie closed her eyes, awaiting the strike, only to hear a loud crash, followed by a heavy thud. As she opened her eyes, she saw that she was surrounded by a magenta shield of magic, the pony suit's attack having slid away to the ground..

"Pinkie!" Twilight's horn blazed with magic.

"Twilight! Look out!"

"What?" The pony suit had switched targets once Twilight had blocked its attack and reared up on its back two legs and was readying to strike at her with its remaining legs.

"BE STILL, VILE VILLAIN!" A booming voice echoed throughout the area as a thin blue shine encased the pony suit. "HAVE AT YOU!" A blur of dark blue appeared from the smoke and drove into the pony suit, knocking it off balance as the magic sheen dissipated. Standing there, as the suit crashed to the ground, was the tallest unicorn Twilight had ever seen, fully twice her own size. She was a dark blue in color, as close as could be to the night sky without being black, and her mane was of a pale blue that reminded her of the light given off by the stars and moon. She could not see the cutie mark of her savior, as the unicorn wore both a pair of pants and a shirt of light purple held in place by a long white sash.

"Master!" Pinkie shouted as the fallen pony suit tried to crush the unicorn with one of its legs. She dodged quickly to the side and faster than the eye could follow, her sash was tied around the leg and she was already looping it around its head. A quick, sharp tug later, and the head of the suit was crushed from the strain of the sash.

"Master!" Pinkie shouted again, this time in joy rather than in warning, as she rushed over and dove into a hug. The unicorn took the hit without flinching.

"Pinkie Pie," she said. "It is good to see you again. And it looks like I was just in time. The two of you should know better than to attack pony suits bare-hoofed."

"Um... if I remember correctly, you are Pinkie's master, Master Everfree?" Twilight asked as she approached the two.

"Yes, that is I, but there is no need to use my full title." Master Everfree said. "You are a friend of my student, are you not? Then you may simply refer to me as Master like she does. It simplifies things greatly."

"Master, where have you been?" Pinkie asked, still holding onto her Master. "I tried to get in contact with you a bunch of times after you left."

"All in due time, Pinkie."

"Master, I have a question. How did you come to be here?" Twilight asked.

"That is a very good question to ask, but..." The sound of several large things moving closer to the trio put a damper to the conversation. "I believe that it would be best to take shelter with the rest at the government headquarters. These suits have yet to break the defensive perimeter. It will be safe to talk there." Pinkie and Twilight looked at each other and nodded as the three of them quickly made their way to the safety of the government building and the Ponyville pony suit defense.


"Halt! Who goes there!" A troop of Ponyville pony suits shown head mounted spotlights onto the approaching trio. These pony suits were different from the the suits of the pony fight tournament. They were plain, unadorned, none of them had any fancy effects or weapons. They were built to the standards of the pony suits, simple grey in color, marked only with the letters PFD for Ponyville Defense Force, and armed with a pair of shoulder mounted cannons. These cannons were currently swinging towards the trio as well.

"We're seeking safety!" Twilight called out.

"Yeah, we got attacked by some crazy pony suit out in the city," Pinkie said. "We managed to get away and make it here."

"We are not here to cause any trouble," Master Everfree chipped in.

"Commander, let them by, they're just refugees like all the rest," one of the pony suit pilots said.

"You're right," the commander of the troop replied. "You three move along quickly. Units 2 and 5, get back to the perimeter, we've got bogies on the radar. Prepare for combat!" As the defense force suits sprang into action, Pinkie, Twilight, and Master Everfree made their way to the safety of the government headquarters.


Inside the safety of the governmental headquarters, the ponies of Ponyville huddled together, blankets and necessities such as food and water provided to all. The building was a safe haven, built with the fortitude to withstand heavy attack, yet even so, there was an air of restlessness stirring, there had never been such an attack on a city since the start of the pony fight tournament. Murmurs of horror and paranoia wafted about.

"We've gotta do something," Pinkie said as she, Twilight, and Master Everfree entered. "Just look at them all..." A young pegasus colt turned his head towards them as Pinkie spoke and gasped when he saw them.

"Pinkie Pie!" he shouted as he flew towards her and crashed into her with a hug.

"Pound Cake!?" Pinkie said, recognizing him and returning the hug. "You're safe. How about everypony else? Are your parents and Pumpkin all right?"

"Yes! They're just over here." He began off and Pinkie turned to Twilight and Master. The two gave a nod and Pinkie skipped off after Pound to see the rest of the Cake family.

"So, Ms. Twilight Sparkle," Master Everfree began once Pinkie had vanished into the crowd. "You've known Pinkie for quite some time, correct?"

"There's no need to be so formal with me, Master," Twilight replied. "Just Twilight is fine. As for your question, yes, I've known her for almost our entire lives. Her and her sisters. Our parents worked with mine and we played together often."

"I see, Just Twilight." The two got a small chuckle out of that. "She did talk about her friends and family readily while she was learning from me. In fact, I can say that I know more about you and them then I should. I've never met another pony to be able to say so much, so fast."

"You get used to it. Pinkie's told me about you as well. How you two met, the training, the traveling, everything. If you don't mind me asking, why did you leave her?"

"That, unfortunately, is a conversation for another time. Though, I'm sure that you can help me with something. Those pony suits in the city, Pinkie seemed unnerved by them, as did you."

"That's..." Twilight thought of how to phrase her answer. "There's a chance that what's behind them and this attack is something that we've been hunting for several months now."

"I see." Master Everfree nodded her head at Twilight's explanation. "And it's something dangerous and near to her, correct? Something that would push for her to take up the mantel of a tournament fighter? It's good to see that my training helped out another onto my path."

"Your path?"

"She never said? I'm a pony suit pilot as well. For Neo-Canterlot."

"Everfree! Of course," Twilight stated as her mind connected the dots. "You won the last tournament."

"Yes, but I think there is something more important at the moment. I wonder if my student is done catching up with her foster family."

"Did somepony call for me?" Pinkie said, popping up behind the two.

"Yes, Pinkie. I have a plan to deal with this situation. How about we do like old times?"

"You mean?"

"Yes."

"All right!" Pinkie jumped up into the air, throwing one hoof high up. "We bring the fight to them!"

"Twilight," Master Everfree turned to her. "Can you work with the defense here to make sure that the enemy does not breach?"

"You can count on me, Master." Twilight nodded, already thinking of ways to better the defenses. "Logistics and strategy is right up my alley."

"Good, come Pinkie. Let's see how these ponies like the fight brought to them." With that, Master Everfree and Pinkie Pie, made their way from the safety of the government building and plunged headlong back into the chaos outside.


"You ready Pinkie?" Master Everfree had led her to the outskirts of the town safely. "From here, we fight our way back in with our suits and draw as many as we can. We're heading to the park, it's large enough for our needs."

"Then we launch the big attack, I hears ya." Pinkie gave a quick salute to Master Everfree. "Now, Rise! Shining Pony!"

"Come forth! Mare of the Moon!"

The Shining Pony burst out of the nearby forest and skidded to a stop right before Pinkie as she stood transfixed at the pony suit of Master Everfree. She had only seen it a few times before as she had not accompanied her master when she faced the tournament itself, yet it still awed her. It was a unicorn model of pony suit, though like it's pilot, the horn was built longer, and the color of the night sky. The soft white grey intermingled together with the dark, dark blues while the accents, the horn, and the hooves were all of a startling bright white. At this moment, it was covered in several armored pieces that mimicked the clothing of Master Everfree, but beneath it all was a suit built for speed and flexibility. And to top it, the mane and tail were made to mimic the fleeting light of gossamer.

"Pinkie Pie," Master Everfree said as the two pilots ran their start ups. "Let's get this started!"

"Yeah!" Pinkie replied as the two suits tore off into the city. As they ran, more of the strange pony suits rose out of the debris and smoke to chase after them. A few of the quicker ones even tried to sneak in an attack, though, these were met with quick counters by the Shining Pony and the Mare of the Moon. By the time the two suits made it to where they had planned, they had a crowd of several dozen enemy pony suits.

"That's quite a lot," Pinkie pointed out. "I didn't know there were that many."

"And they are all the same," Master Everfree chimed. "No variation at all." The hooves of the Mare of the Moon began to glow a bright white as it reared up on its hind legs, a trail of beam flowing from its hooves to the ground in a cloth-like fashion. "No time to think, ATTACK!" As the first of the enemy pony suits sprang forward, the beam cloth of the Mare of the Moon struck out, wrapping itself around the head of one. With a sharp jerk, the Mare of the Moon swung that suit around and into another, sending it into another and another before it unfurled itself and the Mare of the Moon lashed out against another pony suit that had charged. It wrapped itself around its fore legs, before tearing them from the suit, sending it crashing to the ground and slinging the severed limbs into the head and body of a nearby suit, incapacitating it as well. By now, the first of the suits to make it through the onslaught had reached the Mare of the Moon and began to attack. Or so it would have liked. The Mare of the Moon's beam cloth caught its arms as the raised above its head and the Mare of the Moon jumped up and over the suit onto its back, pulling sharply of the cloth, snapping the arms from their sockets before jumping and slamming down on its back.

All the while, the Shining Pony was fending off its own attacks. Ducking and dodging as it struck out with the beam saber held by its face, dicing the enemy suits into submission. Pinkie looked over towards her master and saw that the Mare of the Moon was surrounded.

"Master!" Pinkie shouted as the Pinkie Cannon sprung forth from the Shining Pony and began firing at the enemy suits. The attack allowed the Mare of the Moon to concentrate on the enemies in front of it and soon those were dispatched as the earlier ones had.

"Many thanks, Pinkie," Master Everfree said as a lull fell, the enemy suits falling back for a moment, watching the two pony suit, almost like they were planning a new form of attack from their previous frontal assault attack strategy. Off in the distance, the light of the eyes of reinforcement suits glowed ominously. " What say, we send them out with a bang?"

"You mean "that" attack?"

"I mean "that" attack." Steam began to emit from the Mare of the Moon as the armor fell off, revealing the sleek design of the suit. Its horn began to glow as beam emitters sprang forth all over the body, as a cone of beam energy began to spiral its way from the horn to cover the entire body as the Mare of the Moon lowered its head to place it horn first against the enemy pony suits. "Pinkie, give me the jolt I need to get moving!"

"You got it, Master!" The Shining Pony, drew back several paces before charging towards the Mare of the Moon and spinning to deliver a wicked buck with both hind legs. The strike gave the Mare of the Moon just enough momentum for its jets to take effect and send it flying straight towards the enemy suits.

"TAKE THIS!" Master Everfree cried out as the beam covered Mare of the Moon struck the first enemy pony suit, slamming through it and the ones behind it. "FLEETING MOONLIGHT!" The Mare of the Moon soared through the enemy suits, tearing them apart, leaving no enemy standing, as it continued its way to take on the reinforcements.

Pinkie took a moment to admire the attack and to catch her breath. Fighting like this was a lot different than what she was used to. And in that moment, something she could never imagine happened. It began with a gem rising from the ground right in front of the Shining Pony. Pinkie saw it and dodged out of the way as it exploded, but several more sprang up. Then, a squall rose around the Shining Pony, and a pair of beams snaked out to wrap around the leg of the suit.

"Well, lookie what we got here," a very familiar voice sounded through the wind.

"An' all trussed up pretty an' fancy. Jus' like a bundle o' hay or a bushel o' apples ready fer market." Another familiar voice said.

"Both of you are so drab and forth coming." A third familiar voice said. "It was my attack that allowed for you two to get into correct position."

"No..." Pinkie couldn't believe her ears. Yet, as the wind began to fade, her fears were shown true. Standing around her were the suits of her friends. The Apple Buck Pony, the Hurricane Pony, and the Jewel Pony, all ready to attack. "Applejack, RD, Rarity."

"Hello, darling," Rarity said.

"Howdy, Sugarcube," Applejack added.

"And Pinks, goodbye," Rainbow Dash said as the three suits sprang into attack.

~TO BE CONTINUED~

Author's Note:

Long time coming, I know. I'm bad at updating on any kind of set schedule. This chapter begins a three episode mini-arc. I hope you all stick around to see how everything works out. I promise, I'll try to get out the chapters faster.