• Published 21st Mar 2012
  • 1,062 Views, 7 Comments

Every Rose Has Its Thorn - Featherheart



The Doctor finally finds Rose after all those years... but is it actually her?

  • ...
8
 7
 1,062

River: Distractions


“Doctor.”
“River, have you ever been to Las Neighas? Well, of course you haven’t, you’re new at this whole pony thing. But it’s brilliant. You’ll love it. It’s so great that Equestria is basically Earth. Makes navigation very simple.”
He was galloping around the TARDIS, fervently hitting the controls with a manic grin on his face. A lie. He was trying to hide; from me, from the others, from himself. It didn’t matter. He didn’t want to face it.
“Doctor” I calmly trotted over and pressed a few buttons. The TARDIS stopped shaking, but he didn’t. He simply galloped around me and flipped a few switches.
“Then again we could just go back to our Earth and visit Las Vegas. But where’s the fun in that? Then we won’t be ponies! I mean, imagine gambling with hooves! I’m not sure why, but that’s hilarious to me!”
“Doctor.”
“Or we could travel back and see the first Hearth’s Warming Eve. I’m sure they could use some help! They probably would make us heroes! They’d build a statue of us! A pony statue!”
“Doctor.” I kept my voice quiet. I knew that he’d calm down eventually.
I hoped that he would.
“Or! Or! We could go pick Luna up from the moon! A thousand years has to be boring. We can go on a few adventures, and drop her back off a few hours before her return!” He suddenly stopped short and bowed his head. I trotted over and nuzzled against him.
“Are you okay?”
He popped back up at this, taking off once again.“Sure! Of course I’m okay! I’m always okay.”
I groaned, prepared for a new rant. But before he started a spiel about some exotic location, he stopped short, his eyes on me.
“River.” He sounded so sad, so full of heaviness. He moved in closer, his nose against mine. “River,” he breathed, making my heart skip a beat. He pressed his mouth against mine, something that we had yet to try in these bodies. But, as always, we were perfect. Our breathing synchronized as our tongues interlaced. The urgency of our kiss made time seem to race by. When we drew apart, we were both short of breath and flushed.
“Doctor,” I breathed. With a slight laugh I added, “I wasn’t expecting that.”
“Me either!” he exclaimed, smiling widely at me; a real smile that reached into his eyes and made my heart dance. He kissed me, gently this time. I returned it, but pressed a little harder into it. My fervor knocked him off balance, and we toppled to the floor. I was acutely aware of my body on top of his as we continued to kiss. I was also acutely aware of the anatomical differences that I was still unused to. His awkward grinding into my stomach made it obvious that he was also unaccustomed to this idea.
We pulled apart for a moment, looking into each other’s eyes. A hint of sadness lay in his, but it mostly reflected the joy in my own. I glanced down, wondering what was to come next. He seemed to have the same thought, and laughed for a moment as we contemplated pony anatomy.
“I have an idea,” I muttered to him, giving him another swift kiss. I rose up on all fours and started towards the door.
“Oh?” He asked, starting to get up.
I laughed at him as he struggled to flip over. “Stay there, sweetie. I’m going to go pay a visit to the library.”
With a wink I left the TARDIS, along with a slightly speechless Time Lord.