• Published 4th Feb 2014
  • 1,113 Views, 15 Comments

Button and the Dungeon Master - Ron Jeremy Pony



Button's Grandfather comes for a visit and introduces the young colt to Dungeons and Dragons.

  • ...
0
 15
 1,113

Looking for Group

Button and the Dungeon Master
Chapter 1 – Looking for Group

(The Mash Home – Button’s room)

“Combo! Super Combo! Ultra Combo!” the digital voice said from the video game Button was playing.

He looked at Sweetie Bell who was playing the game with him. Prance, Prance Revolution was getting a little old, but Sweetie Bell loved to play it, and he didn’t mind. After a few more minutes the end of the song played and the screen began tallying the points they both had.

“Ha! I won!” Sweetie Bell said as she a short victory dance.

Button got ready to challenge her to another match when his mom poked her head into the room.

“Button, Sweetie Bell, would you like to come say hello to a special visitor?” she asked.

“Special visitor?” they both asked.

“He sure is. He came all of the way from Los Pegasus to see us,” she said.

“Los Pegasus?” Sweetie Bell asked.

“Grandpa Di?!” Button asked excitedly.

“Your grandpa’s name is Di?” Sweetie Bell asked.

“Well, I don’t like to go by my full first name,” an older voice said.

An older light tan pony walked into the room. He lifted button’s hat off of his head and gave him a little tap on the top of his head.

“So, what have you foals been doing?” he asked.

“Playing Prance, Prance Revolution!” Sweetie Bell exclaimed.

“Video games? I guess that neither of you would be interested in playing a different game with an old pony would you?” he asked.

“What kind of game Grandpa?” Button asked.

“Only the best game to ever come out. Dungeons and Dragons Nightmare Moon edition, and I just happen to have everything with me to play, but you’re busy with the video game,” he said as he turned around.

“Wait… What is it like?” Sweetie Bell asked.

“Oh, it’s a grand adventure. Actually there are several adventures, and you can make your own characters. There’s a holy magic Unicorn, a black magic Unicorn, a warrior Pegasus, a barbarian Earth Pony, a lich Unicorn, a Fairy Pony, and a dozen other characters,” he said.

“That actually sounds like a lot of fun!” Buttons said.

“Well come on, we’ll go play at the kitchen table,” Di said as he turned around.

The three of them walked into the kitchen and found Button’s mom digging into the fridge for a second. She turned around and saw her father sitting up a Dungeons and Dragon’s game.

“Dungeons and Dragons?” she asked.

“Sure is, as I recall you had good Unicorn character,” he said.

“Well, she was kind of powerful,” she replied.

“Really?” Sweetie Bell asked.

“Sure, I had an eight level black magic Unicorn. She could cast some really powerful spells, and she was the lo…Um… fillyfriend of Rock Mover an Earth Pony barbarian,” she answered.

“Who was Rock Mover?” Button asked.

“Your father,” Di answered as he pulled out some character sheets and began passing them around.

“Dad used to play?” Button asked.

“He was really good too. He’s one of the few ponies that could get through Dad’s dungeons,” Love said.

“Love Tap, you did just as much to help him beat my dungeons,” Di said.

“Love Mash dad, and I know, but you have to admit that he really made that character really well,” she said.

“Okay, okay, so do you want to play too?” Di asked.

“Well… I thought about fixing lunch, but if these two foals wouldn’t mind me ordering a delux pizza from the café then I don’t mind playing,” she said.

“Pizza yay!” buttons exclaimed.

“Pizza it is then. Anything special on it dad?” she asked.

“Extra seasoned hay if they don’t mind,” he replied.

“How… how do we make the characters?” Sweetie Bell asked.

Di walked over and looked at her paper and pulled out a set of template cards he had with him. He sat them down and smiled.

“Well, both you and Button are going to be level ones. That’s not a problem since Love is a level eight. But it means that you can still choose from any number of these characters,” he said.

“Ummm… Could I be a Pegasus warrior?” she asked.

He nodded, “Of course you can. So, you have a chance to roll for a high hit point range,” he said.

“Hit point?” she askd.

“Is it kind of like the heart indicator?” Button asked.

“Exactly like that hun,” Love said as she came back into the room.

“Okay, so, we’ve got a Pegasus warrior, but what does she look like?” Di asked.

“Oh, she’s beautiful. She has a pearl white coat, indigo hair, and emerald eyes,” Sweetie Bell answered.

Di wrote it down on her character sheet.

“What’s her name?” he asked.

“Ummmm…. Ummm…. Cloud Hopper?” she asked.

“That’s a fine name. Okay Button, how about you?” Di asked.

“Ummmm… I want to be an Earth Pony barbarian like Dad,” he said.

Di raised his eyebrow and giggled.

“Okay, an Earth Pony Barbarian that’s fine. What does he look like?” Di asked.

“He has a black mustache and beard, dark brown coat, ummmmmm and gold eyes,” Button said.

“And what is his name?” Di asked.

“Rock Kicker!” Button said excitedly.

“Okay, as level ones you both get to choose three level one weapons and armor for your characters. For Cloud Hopper that means a leather helmet, leather vest, a short sword, long sword, and a bow. So what would you want?” Di asked.

“Ummm… what should I choose?” she asked Love.

“Well, you’ve got a Pegasus Warrior, so she can fight from long range, and you want something to protect her chest right?” Love asked.

“Okay, I want the bow, and the chest armor, and… and… and the short sword!” Sweetie Bell exclaimed.

“Now, Rock Kicker has the choice of a broad sword, club, battle axe, wooden shield, and leather vest armor,” Di said.

“I want the battle axe, and broad sword, and the club!” button said.

“You sure you don’t want the vest or the shield?” Di asked.

“Nope!” he said.
“Okay, now, we’re going to let you roll this red eight sided die. Whatever number it lands on we’ll multiply it by two. This is going to be your hit points,” Di said.

Sweetie Bell rolled the die and it landed on a six.

“Good you’ve got a hit point range of twelve. That’s not too bad, and remember as the game progresses you have a chance to earn experience points. When you do you can upgrade your armor, weapons, and hit points,” Di said.

Button rolled his and it landed on a five.

“That’s not too bad,” Di said.

“I can upgrade later to though right Grandpa?” Button asked.

“Of course you can Button, but we have to wait. Now since Love already has her character sat up let’s start the quest. Hmmm… Love what do you want think about freeing the enslaved quest? As I remember Rock Mover got enthralled by Nightmare Moon,” Di said.

“Yeah, I’d like to do that quest,” Love said as she grinned.

“Okay my little ponies, this starts in the ancient lands of Equestria over a thousand years ago. Long before there was a Ponyville, and in the city of Neighdowell, there was a tavern. This tavern was a favorite spot for mercenaries, magic users, and barbarians. As you look around you see a fight breaking out between a couple of Pegasus Warriors,” Di said.

“Why are they fighting?” Love asked.

“Well let me explain..” Di began.

(Nightfall Tavern – Town of Neighdowell)

“I said the Changeling problem is only going to get worse!” a black Pegasus yelled at a turquoise one.

“The Changelings have accepted our peace treaties!” the turquoise one yelled back.

“Both of you stand down! You are warriors for the city of Neighdowell!” Cloud Hopper shouted.

“Keep out of this private,” one of the others said.

“Yeah, this is important talk,” the other one said.

“Do, all Pegasus warriors squabble over such trivial matters?” a light green Unicorn said.

Both of the Pegasus warriors turned toward the one talking to them.

“What do you want lowly dog? A cursed user of the dark arts does not belong here,” the turquoise one said.

“I wanted a drink, but now… Now I’m thinking that I need to teach a couple of stuck up Pegasi a little lesson,” the light green unicorn said.

“What could you ever hope to do to us?” the black Pegasus asked.

“Oh, how about transmutation into something a little less stuck up… What do you say to becoming a couple of fuzzy bunnies? I think that would be just fine,” she said.

Her eyes closed and she began chanting. A dark mist began to flow from her hooves and floated over to the two Pegasi. It surrounded them and both began to scream as the mist covered them. Then, almost as quickly as it started, the screams stopped. The mist retracted and all that was left was two small, white, fuzzy bunnies. Cloud Hopper looked at the Unicorn as she drew up her dark red cloak around her head and walked back toward a table.

Following her Cloud Hopper stopped when the Unicorn put down a small portrait she had and looked into the green eyes of the young Pegasus Warrior.

“What are you doing?” the Unicorn asked.

“I wanted to say that even though they were wrong there wasn’t a need to do that,” Cloud Hopper said.

“Oh, and would you rather they fight, hurt some of the patrons in here, and maybe even themselves killed?” the Unicorn asked.

“Well no, but do you have to leave them like that?” Cloud Hopper asked.

“No, I don’t have to, and I don’t plan on it. They will transform back into their true selves after two days’ time. That should give them long enough to consider what they’ve done,” the Unicorn said.

Cloud Hopper stood there looking at her and the Unicorn snorted.

“What is it that you want?” she asked.

“Do you mind if I sit down here?” Cloud Hopper asked.

“Well, I don’t see Celestia saying that you can’t so I suppose I don’t,” the Unicorn said.

Cloud Hopper took a seat across from her and pulled out a bit from her coin purse. She called a tavern worker over and ordered a pint of Apple and Honey Mead. She then looked at the Unicorn.

“My name is Cloud Hopper. What’s yours?” she asked.

“Magick Wand,” the Unicorn said.

“Really?” Cloud Hopper asked.

“And your name is really Cloud Hopper?” Magick asked.

“Ummmm… Yeah, I guess my parents weren’t real creative when they named me,” Cloud Hopper replied.

“That’s fine, so, now that we’ve gotten to know each other so well how about you enjoy your pint and let me think in peace for a while,” Magick said.

She began to look at the portrait again and heard the light tapping of hooves under the table drew her attention.

“Yes?” Magick asked.

“Well, what brings you to Neighdowell?” Cloud Hopper asked.

Seeing that she would have no choice other than to talk to the young Pegasus Magick put her beloved portrait away and looked at the table.

“I come on a quest. A dear one to me was enthralled by the dark ruler Nightmare moon. I’ve searched for traces of where he could have gone, and might have been done to him. My travels have lead me back here to Neighdowell, and then it has stopped cold. I had hoped that an old friend of mine, Captain Lionheart would still be here, but I learned that the old griffon passed last season. I had hoped to get access into the Pegasus Warrior’s records room. There may be some information about him, anything, that could help me find him,” Magick said.

“You knew Captain Lionheart?” Cloud Hopper asked.

“Yes, as I said we were old friends,” Magick answered.

“I… I can get you into the records room. I owed Lionheart for letting me join with the Warriors. He sponsored me,” Cloud Hopper replied.

“I would be deeply in your debt,” Magick said.

“There! There she is! It is like I said! A cursed one has came into Neighdowell!” a patron said to three Pegasus warriors. One of them bumped into an Earth Pony who was eating a bowl of thick soup.

The thick soup fell off of the table and the Earth Pony growled.

“That soup was five bits,” he said standing up.

“Quiet down ruffian! We are here on official Warrior business!” one of the Pegasi shouted.

“You’re going to pay for it, or I’m going to make you wish you had,” the Earth Pony said.

“How is a lowly Earth Pony savage going to make me pay for anything?!” the Pegasus asked amused.

The Earth Pony grabbed a club sitting next to him and swung it. The club hit the Pegasus knocking it into a table and causing several steins of Apple and Honey Mead to go flying off of it. Multiple patrons stood up and surrounded the patrons. The Earth Pony faced the other two.

“Now, about my soup, which one of you are going to pay for it?” he asked.

“I’ll pay you double what the soup costs if you will help us get out of here!” the Unicorn shouted.

“Well, looks like I get to have a little fun,” he said as he swung his club again and connected with a red Pegasus. It raised a long sword just in time to stop the club, but was having a hard time holding the Earth Pony back.

The other Pegasus started to go around him, but then went flying when Cloud Hopper kicked it in the back.

“Fighting dirty huh?” the Earth Pony said as he kicked out and knocked the Pegasus back.

He swung the club again and this time it broke the Pegasus’ left wing grounding him. He looked toward the Unicorn and Pegasus that helped him.

“Comeon!” he shouted.

They ran out of the tavern and headed toward the forest west of the town. The Earth Pony lead them toward an old looking building and they ran inside of it. He closed the door and then lit a small Bee’s Wax Candle.

“Okay, so, now about my bits,” he said.

“I shall pay you, but only when I have your name,” the Unicorn said.

“The name’s Rock Kicker,” he said.

“Rock Kicker I am Magick Wand, and this is Cloud Hopper. I am on a quest and Ms Hopper has agreed to help me with part of it. If you agree to join our group I can promise you an equal share to any treasure we come across,” Magick Wand said.

“Weapons too?” he asked.

“Yes, I promise, weapons too,” she replied.

“Very well, but I still want my ten bits,” he said.

(Mash family Table – Ponyville)

“Oh Sweetie Bell, it looks like it’s getting late. I better go ahead and call your sister and let her know that you’re still over here,” Love said.

“Ummmm… Could… Could I…” she began.

“You want to spend the night?” Love asked.

“Yes, please,” she said with a bright smile.

“I’ll see if your sister is okay with it. I know that your mom has left you in her care, and if I know Rarity she takes that responsibility very seriously,” Love said.

“Mr. Tap sir, do you mind if we play this again tomorrow?” Sweetie bell asked.

“Of course we can. If you two foals want we can try to do the entire quest while I’m here. Does that sound like fun?” he asked.

“Yay!” Buttons exclaimed.

“Okay, but depending on what your big sister says we might end up having to either get you home, or get you two youngsters to bed,” Di said as he stood up.

“Sweetie Bell your sister agreed. It seems like there was a big order that came in, and she needs the extra time to work on it,” Love said.

“Awesome! Oh, Mr. Tap said that we can play the game some more tomorrow. You’ll play with us right?” Sweetie Bell asked.

“Yeah, it won’t be the same if you don’t mom,” Button said.

“Okay, okay, I promise I will play, but I do have to make time to get a few things done, so we might have to play in the afternoon or evening. Okay?” she asked.

“Yay! Cloud Hopper is going to get Magick into the records room!” Sweetie Bell said excitedly.

“And Rock Kicker is going to find some cool new weapons!” Button said as he jumped up and down.

“Okay, now, lets get you two little foals to bed,” Love said.

Author's Note:

(AN: So I wanted to do a little story about Button, Sweetie Bell, and Love Tap er… Love Mash playing a little Dungeons and Dragons. I’ve been a fan of the game for a long time, and I figured that Love’s dad might be an old school gamer. I also figured that Love would be fantastic at D&D and she would enjoy getting to dust off an old character.

I hope that you enjoy it. I’m going to try to keep this to around seven chapters, and if any of you have any suggestions I’ll be glad to try to work them in.

Thanks,

LF)