• Published 4th Feb 2014
  • 4,872 Views, 32 Comments

All The Small Things - Closer-To-The-Sun



When things get down for Spike, it's up to a pink party pony to turn it around.

  • ...
4
 32
 4,872

Chapter 3: Accidentally In Love

Chapter 3: Accidentally In Love

From that day, Spike and Pinkie Pie began to hang out with each other more often. The two would often play games that Spike would find both silly and amusing, explore the areas in and around Ponyville (including areas of Sweetie Apple Acres, which caused them having to explain to Applejack why they were sneaking around on her property), watch the weather patterns in the sky and talk just about any and everything that came to mind.

Spike really enjoyed Pinkie Pie’s company. Over the past two and a half weeks, Spike found a kindred spirit in the pink party pony. While she was often a hoofful, or a clawful in the dragon’s case, she was pony that could always bring a smile to his face no matter how bad of a day he might have had, and Spike seemed to have quite a few since. Pinkie’s sunny and optimistic attitude was something Spike envied about her. How she was able to find the joy and happiness in the littlest things was extraordinary in his eyes.

One night, Spike was returning home from Sugarcube Corner where he was chatting it up with Pinkie Pie. Opening the door, he saw the purple unicorn sitting on the couch, reading a large book.

“Welcome back, Spike,” she greeted with a warm smile, looking up from her reading material.

The dragon nodded as he smiled back, “Hey, Twilight. Sorry I’m a little late getting back.” He closed the door behind him, stopping the cool night air from entering the library.

“It’s alright. I’m sure Pinkie Pie had a very good reason to keep you from me,” Twilight jested as she tried to imagine what Pinkie Pie’s mind might have came up with for the two of them today.

“She did! We were playing this really cool game called ‘Cards Against Equestria’. It’s such a fun game and so weird and awesome!” Spike was very animated as he described the game.

Twilight held back a chuckle, “It seems you really have taken quite a liking to Pinkie Pie.”

“Of course! She’s so cool! We like the same stuff, like the same kind of sweets like cupcakes and ice cream, we both love playing games, and getting dirty when we go on adventures, she’s really fun!” Spike described.

“And she seems to always get you to smile,” the unicorn added.

Spike nodded, “Well, duh! She’s super fun!”

Twilight rephrased her statement, “That’s not exactly what I mean, Spike. I’m saying that you really seemed to have grown really attached to Pinkie Pie. As if you have grown really fond of her.”

“I don’t understand what you mean….”

“Love, Spike….I’m saying it’s almost as if you are in love with her,” Twilight was quite blunt with the statement, “You spend an awful lot of time with her lately and she seems to share the same feeling about you.”

Spike’s face blushed violently at the mare’s words, “Wha-What?! No! It’s not like that, not at all! We’re just friends! Good friends!”

Twilight spoke, “That’s how it usually starts. Just as friends and then it grows from there.”

The dragon’s face was still flushed, but he didn’t say anything. Instead, he looked down at his small body. He let out a sad sigh.

“Are you okay, Spike?” Twilight asked concernedly, “This there a problem?”

“I don’t know….” he admitted, “Maybe I am in love with Pinkie….”

The purple mare stood up from off the couch and started to trot over to Spike in silence.

“How do I stop it?” he asked.

This statement surprised Twilight, “Stop it? Spike, it’s not something you can just turn on and off like a light.”

“But….I don’t want to feel like this. Pinkie Pie’s my friend, and I don’t want anything to mess that up,” he continued to explain, “There’s gotta be some sort of spell to cure it, right?”

“It doesn’t work like that, Spike. You can’t simply just not be in love with somepony because you just don’t want to,” Twilight explained as she stopped right in front of her assistant.

Spike’s bothered expression seemed to reflect that he already knew such. Walking towards the stairs, he spoke, “I’m….gonna go to bed….”

Twilight was worried as she watched him walk away, “Alright….sleep well. And don’t forget that I’m here if you want to talk, Spike….”

“I know….” he replied as he walked up each step of the stairs.

Upon reaching his bed, Spike fell onto his and quickly wrapped himself up in his blanket, burying himself in the process. After wrestling with the blanket, he popped his head out and looked out to the window of the room, seeing Luna’s moon shining light into the darkened room. Quietly, he asked himself a question:

“What am I feeling?”