• Published 4th Feb 2014
  • 4,872 Views, 32 Comments

All The Small Things - Closer-To-The-Sun



When things get down for Spike, it's up to a pink party pony to turn it around.

  • ...
4
 32
 4,872

Chapter 1: This Too Shall Pass

Chapter 1: This Too Shall Pass

A small purple and green dragon was dragging his heels through Ponyville. Pulling a wagon filled with all sorts of stuff, the reptile was busily running errands for Twilight Sparkle, but that didn’t mean he was enjoying his work. Instead, he was both bored by the task as well as annoyed. This wasn’t exactly how he wanted to spend such a bright and sunny day; he rather be out running among the fields, go exploring, or just about anything else than running errands. However, giving in to the reality of the situation, he trotted to the next stop on his long checklist.

Parking the wagon outside, the dragon entered the front door of Sugarcube Corner. The exact moment he stepped his foot in the door, he was greeted by a bubbly voice.

“Hiya, Spike! Welcome to Sugarcube Corner! What can I getcha?” the voice came from a pink pony with seemingly boundless energy and optimism.

Spike, however, didn’t match her enthusasim, “Hi, Pinkie Pie. Can I get half a dozen blueberry scones? There what Twilight wants. And….can you get me a ruby muffin? I kinda need it right now.”

Pinkie Pie nodded as she began to fetch the order, “Coming up! So, what’s got you so sour? Did you eat a lemon thinking it was a cupcake? Cause I did that once and let me tell you, it’s no fun!”

A small smirk appeared on Spike’s face as he thought about Pinkie doing such, but it quickly vanished, “No, nothing like that. I’m just doing a lot of work lately and I don’t think Twilight is giving me enough credit for all of the work and stuff I do around the library and what not.”

Pinkie started placing the scones into a box, “Really? Like what kind of work? Important work? Super important work? Super-duper important work?”

“No….well, yes it is important work, but it’s….I don’t know, important in it’s own way? Like right now with me running all of these errands for her. Picking up quills, groceries, potions, and sweets like right now,” the dragon explained, “And around the library like sorting and organizing the shelves, cleaning the entire building, and running the library when she’s out doing whatever. It just gets exhausting, especially when it seems like she doesn’t even notice when I am doing stuff.”

Closing the box of scones and placing it on the counter, the pink mare placed her front limbs on the counter and supported her head with them, “But isn’t that your job as her assistant? Doing stuff for her when she is busy and what not?”

Spike was caught, “Well, yeah, it is. But all I’m asking is for a little sympathy and just a simple ‘good job’ every so often. Is that too much to ask?”

“I’m sure Twilight loves everything you do, Spikey, even if she doesn’t say it!” Pinkie’s words were both lively and loving as she looked at the dragon from behind he counter.

“I’m not convinced sometimes,” the dragon’s voice was depressing.

“Chin up, Spike!” Pinkie stated with energy, “It will pass! Even the most heaviest and most downiest parts of life will pass by and make way for the brighter things in our lives! Even the smallest things can be the bestest things!”

“I guess,” Spike replied, still with a defeated tone in his voice, “But I still have to drag that dumb wagon filled with her stuff around.”

Continuing with her working and fulfilling Spike’s order, Pinkie spoke on, “You can’t let it keep getting you down. Tomorrow is always a brighter day! Never forget that!” The mare turned around for a few moments and faced Spike again with a closed, brown bag. She placed in on top of the box of scones and pushed it forward to him, “Order up! Six scones at five bits and one muffin at one bit. That will be six bits, please!”

Spike pulled out the coins and placed them on the counter for Pinkie to take, “Thanks, Pinkie.” He reached up and pulled the box down for him to carry.

“Of course! And remember what I said, Spike!” she called out to him as he headed towards the door.

Shrugging, Spike called back, “Yeah, yeah, I will.”

Placing the baked goods on the wagon, Spike returned back to the library. After unloading everything he had gotten, putting them away in their proper place and what not, Spike took the bag of his food from Sugarcube Corner and to eat. Opening the bag up, he noticed something strange. Reaching in, Spike pulled out two ruby muffins. Confused, Spike reached in the bag again and pulled out a single napkin. On it, there was something written with fanciful and whimsical writing:

This too shall pass. –Pinkie Pie

The little hearts that dotted the ‘I’s seemed to be a very Pinkie-esqe touch, just like the hoofdrawn smile in the corner. Spike gave a warm smile at the small act that Pinkie did for him as he took a bite of one of the muffins.