• Published 3rd Feb 2014
  • 727 Views, 10 Comments

A Simple Repair - MajorFrostwing



A simple shack on the edge of a cliff A simple A.W.G. repairman lives fixing the Aura Wings of others. When he catches a trespasser on his testing course. He tries to catch them they end up crashing. Who is this trespasser?

  • ...
7
 10
 727

Part 4: The Forgiving Race

A Simple Repair
Part 4: The Forgiving Race.

By: Major Frostwing

3 days after the agreement to the race.

I waited in my shop putting the Aura Amplifier into the default set of wings the stone was blue the weakest color of the amplifiers and the cheapest. "Yea I am gonna lose she is a faster flier than me... But fair is fair." I said calmly with a sigh. I saw my old military scarf I put it on smiling. "Well Frost let's go lose with a smile." I said to myself walking outside and flew slowly to City hall where the race would begin.

"FILLIES AND GENTLECOLTS!" A loudspeaker boomed as the crowd listened to what the rules for the race were. "We have a good race today our Captain of The Weather Patrol RAINBOW DASH VS. Ex Military officer MAJOR FROSTWING!" Everyone cheered at Rainbow's name but no one cheered for me I was used to it. "The Race will start here go to Fluttershy's cottage then to Sweet Apple Acres. Then through The Canyon Of Boulders and end when you cross the finish line back here." The announcer looked at both Rainbow and myself. "This will be a default A.W.G. race blue amplifiers only no leaving the course and no cheating." The announcer looked at me when he said cheating I was pissed at that but I would let it slide. "Alright. On your marks... Get set... GO!" He yelled as myself and Rainbow took off from the start line.

On the way to the cottage Rainbow pulled ahead of me and continued to gain ground. I was still injured from my crash but I would be damned if I was just gonna give her the win. I poured more power into the amplifier and rocketed forward. I passed her and continued my flight. There were two flags on top of the carriage one black and one cyan. I grabbed the black one and slammed into a tree feet first to slow myself. Which hurt but I need to make the turn as fast as possible. I launched off the tree continuing my lead but Rainbow was quickly gaining Sweet Apple Acres was the next checkpoint.

As we approached Sweet Apple Acres I felt something in the wings crack. The stress I was putting on them was higher than what they could handle if I wasn't careful I would lose one of the wings and lose this race. Rainbow passed me with ease as I slowed to give the wings a break she wasn't stopping for nothing. She grabbed her second flag and rocketed off towards the canyon I grabbed mine and continued my pursuit. I lost my concentration for a second through a turn and fell to the ground I rolled back to my feet and took off once again. Even though everything hurt I was still gonna try and win. I followed Rainbow through the apple trees I felt the tips of my wings skim a few branches but I continued to fly trying to catch up to her.

The last check point. Finally territory I knew like the back of my hand the maneuverability course. I saw Rainbow begin the track and I followed this was the longest leg and most dangerous of the course. I flew as fast as I could until I saw Rainbow she was rocketing through all of the course until her amplifier sparked and exploded she dropped like a lead weight I poured power into my own amplifiers and flew under her catching her just in time but I still hit the ground from the force of catching her. "Rainbow you ok?" I asked she groaned and sat up.

"Yea I'm fine I just got to continue to fly and win." She tried to take off but her other amplifier sparked and died. "What the hell is going on?" She asked she couldn't take off or fly anymore.

"Your fried the amplifiers you need new ones to continue the race." I said taking off my set of wings I traded wings with her. "Here my wings still work you take them and fly to the finish line I wasn't going to win anyway." I said with a smile. Rainbow smacked me across the face tossing the wings back at me.

"I don't want to win if you can't even race." She said angrily I just sighed.

"And I don't want to win your forgiveness if you had no chance of winning." I said coldly. "Now take my wings and go I would rather earn your forgiveness than it just be given to me." I strapped the wings on her back. "Now go and win so I can earn your respect." I said putting her broken wings on she took off without another word. I began the slow walk back to ponyville from the canyon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the time I got back the crowd had dispersed and I walked to see Rainbow and her friends waiting for me. "Well I lost fair and square." I said with a shrug. they all glared at me coldly.

"You gave up Frost you didn't lose." Twilight said coldly.

"You think we wouldn't notice you giving up your wings to Rainbow so she could win." A girl with Purple hair said calmly.

"I would rather earn her forgiveness then just take it." I said with another shrug. "And how would you guys know I gave up my wings to her?" I asked confused.

"There was a number engraved on Rainbow's A.W.G. it was the number 1." Twilight said calmly. "The wing's she is wearing has the number 46 engraved on them." She pushed up her glasses. "Why did you give up the race Frost?" She asked calmly.

"I am not a man who sees a cheap chance at a victory and takes it I gave up because if Rainbow lost and didn't come out of that canyon until later. One my victory would just be a hollow victory not even worth talking about. Two it would force Rainbow to forgive me which I don't want. And Finally three... I didn't deserve to win anyway." I said looking down. "No one wanted me to win. You heard the crowd at the beginning not a single cheer... Rainbow still wouldn't forgive me even if I did win... But what is done is done so I shall go home." I said setting down the A.G.W. and walked away. "Winning isn't everything Frost." I said to myself. I felt a hand on my shoulder I turned to see Rainbow.

"I still don't fully forgive you but you have taken a step in the right direction. Maybe you and I could I don't know go out to dinner sometime." She said trying to hide her blush. I chuckled at how cute she was.

"It's a date then." I said with a smile as I began the long walk back to my workshop.