• Published 3rd Feb 2014
  • 6,508 Views, 216 Comments

Five Changelings In Equestria: The Changeling Knight - Bucking Nonsense



Stranded in Equestria, Mole Cricket, a changeling, decides to dedicate himself to an impossible task: Knighthood.

  • ...
11
 216
 6,508

Transform And Roll Out

"He went for a walk?"

Stainless Steel was more than a little surprised to hear that: Cricket's hind legs were both still in casts, and they weren't due to come off for another three weeks. The changeling was expected to be bed-ridden for the remainder of that time, after which, his physical therapy would start.

"Well," the nurse said, "Maybe walk is the wrong word. We just received our first shipment of modern medical supplies, and included in that shipment were a half-dozen wheelchairs. After the doctor confirmed that the breaks in his legs were healed enough that he could be taken out of traction, we thought that it might be a good idea to let him take one of the wheelchairs out for a spin. He's spent his entire stay in the city bedridden, so he jumped at the chance to get some fresh air. He'll be back later this afternoon." After a moment's thought, the nurse asked, "Um, that's not a problem, is it?"

The knight smiled, and said, "No problem at all. He's earned a little bit of time to himself. When he comes back, let him know that I'll come by this evening."
--------------------

It felt so good to feel the breeze on his carapace. He was finally out of bed, and in the fresh air, even if it was in a wheelchair. As he watched Miss Bunny cavort in the park, he gave a contented sigh and relaxed. He'd almost forgotten what it was like to be outside. If he'd not been injured, he wouldn't have minded going for a flight...
---------------------

Fluttershy asked, nervously, "How long do you think she'll be gone?"

Celestia, watching the mirror with an expression of concern, said, "It is difficult to say. Time moves differently between worlds, and her task is not a simple one: she could be back right away, or not until the last moment. But we must have faith that Twilight Sparkle will return with her crown."

"Ah still wish that we could have gone in there with her," Applejack said, frowning. "It ain't right, her having to go in there on her own."

Luna, still restraining Pinkie Pie from playing with the mystical doorway between worlds, said, "I admit, I am not comfortable with this, myself. We know almost nothing about the world on the other side. It might have been better to send at least a couple of guards with her."

Celestia sighed, then said, "If there was anything truly dangerous on the other side of the portal, I sincerely doubt that Sunset Shimmer would have been so quick to return. More importantly, the more who are sent through, the greater the likelihood of their discovery. It would be best if the portal remained a secret, if at all possible, to anyone who lives there." Smiling, Celestia added, "And while I admit that I am a little worried, I am confident that she will be just fine."

Pinkie Pie, still held in midair, asked, "Oh, so you're worrident?"

Rolling her eyes, Rainbow Dash said, "Pinkie Pie, you know that's not a real word. Neither is nervicited."

Pinkie Pie stuck out her tongue, then said, "Says you. Give it time. You'll see."

Chuckling, Celestia said, "Well, it is likely that Twilight will be some time before she returns. Rather than sitting here, watching the mirror, why don't you five go for a walk around the city? In spite of this being your third visit, you've really not had a chance to see the Crystal Empire. Take the day, and come back this evening. Luna and I will come and get you if Twilight Sparkle comes back before then."

Rarity, after a moment's thought said, "Well, while I would normally be the first for a tour of the Crystal Empire, I wouldn't feel right, just walking out without any of us here to welcome her back."

Pinkie Pie, now hovering upside down, said, "Oooh, oooh, I have an idea!"

Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow and said, sarcastically, "This ought to be good. What's your idea?"

Grinning, Pinkie Pie said, "If we go out two at a time, and are only gone for two hours each, that would mean three of us would be here to welcome Twilight when she gets back, and whoever goes out will probably be back well before Twilight does."

Rainbow Dash looked as if she was going to argue, then reconsidered, and said, "That's... actually not a bad idea."

Pinkie Pie giggled, as Luna put the pink pony back on her hooves gently. "So," Pinkie asked, still smiling cheerfully "Who wants to go first?
-----------------------------

The first two to go out ended up being Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. Dashie, because she felt an urge to get some exercise, and Fluttershy because nopony else really wanted to go first. Well, Fluttershy hadn't wanted to, either, but...

After the left the palace, Rainbow said, "Well, I'm gonna hit the skies and stretch my wings for a bit. What are you going to do?"

Fluttershy said, a bit nervously, "I thought I might go for a walk in the park, if that's okay..." She hated being the center of attention, and given that there weren't many ponies flying in the city right now, being airborne was a sure way to get everypony looking at her...

Dashie said, "The park? That's cool. I'll meet you there in an hour and a half... if that's okay with you?"

Fluttershy nodded, relieved, and said, "That'll be fine. I'll see you then."
---------------------------

Ah, it was such a beautiful day. Cricket had seen nothing but sunny days since the day he'd arrived in the Crystal Empire. He'd overheard that rainstorms weren't scheduled to start for another week or so: it seemed that Sombra'd done something to the soil, which had made planting a bit difficult. However, that problem had finally cleared up, and once the seeds were in, a new weather schedule would be implemented.

Bunny had apparently found a wild carrot, and was enthusiastically working to dig it up. Well, more power to her. He'd initially had some concerns about keeping the little bunny fed, but his conversations with Stainless Steel had revealed that, once he began his training for knighthood, the changeling would be entitled to a stipend for personal expenses. While Cricket's needs were few, it would be nice to know that he'd be able to take care of the little rabbit. It would have broken Alex's little heart if the changeling had been forced to give up the little bunny rabbit, regardless of the reason.

Such a nice day. It would be great to take a little nap...

Cricket had forgotten just how sleepy his pain medications made him, and how quickly they could knock him out. Almost without realizing it, he nodded off.
----------------------------

A few minutes later, Fluttershy couldn't believe what she was seeing: there was a changeling, sitting in a wheelchair, in a park in the middle of the Crystal Empire. The main reasons why she'd not cried out for the guards immediately was because, firstly, the changeling was fast asleep. Second, it was clear that he was pretty badly injured, given that both his hindlegs were in casts. Third, and this was perhaps the most important: there was an adorable bunny atop his head, inspecting a carrot. While dirty, the vegetable was extremely large, nearly twice the creature's size. Apparently, the little rabbit had just dug it up out of the ground. The bunny's expression of bliss made it clear that she couldn't be happier with her prize.

After a moment, the rabbit snapped out of its reverie, and turned to look at Fluttershy.

Walking up behind the changeling, Fluttershy, her voice as soft as she could manage (and for Fluttershy, that was extremely soft), asked, "Is he your keeper?" She tried not to use the terms 'owner' or 'master' when talking to pets: both terms could be demeaning. 'Keeper', however, was safe, since it meant that the owner was a 'keeper': someone you wouldn't want to let get away.

The bunny nodded, matter-of-factly. She then lifted up the carrot, and, with surprising strength, brought it down hard on the changeling's head with an audible 'Thwack'.

The changeling started awake, rubbing his head where the carrot had hit him, and, seeing his forelegs, seemed to realize he was out of disguise. With a green flash, he put on the appearance of a pegasus with a brown coat and a short black mane. After looking around to see if anypony was watching, the changeling let out a sigh of relief, and said, "Well, at least no one is staring me in the face this time." He lifted his forelegs up and picked up the bunny, and put her in his lap. "You know, you didn't have to be so rough."

The little rabbit giggled, and then handed the carrot to Cricket. "Oh," the disguised changeling said, chuckling. "You found a big one! You want to get it cleaned off?"

The bunny nodded enthusiastically.

"Okay. I think we passed a fountain on the way here," he said, with a nod. "We'll roll on over and give it a good rinse."

Without further warning, he turned the wheelchair around, and abruptly came face to face with Fluttershy. Fluttershy flinched back with a sudden gasp. The changeling's reaction, on the other hoof, was surprising, and a bit more extreme: With an abrupt, startled shout, he flinched, causing the wheelchair to tilt back dangerously. He pinwheeled his forelegs frantically, trying to right himself, and might have succeeded, had the bunny not leapt off of his head, and on to Fluttershy's. Suddenly unbalanced further, the chair fell, and he landed on his back with an 'Ooof'.

For a moment, the pegasus and the changeling were completely silent. Fluttershy broke the silence, asking, "Ummm, are you alright?"

The changeling answered, "I'm fine." After a moment, he asked, "Ah, would you mind giving me a hoof up? While there's a time and place for cloud-watching, this probably isn't it."

"Oh, yes, of course," Fluttershy said, scrambling to assist him. After a bit of effort, she was able to assist him in getting the wheelchair up in it's proper position. "There we go," she said, smiling.

The changeling smiled in return, and said, "Thanks. Ah, my name's Cricket." He held out a hoof.

Fluttershy, after a moment's hesitation, took it and shook it. "Fluttershy. It's very nice to meet you."

"Likewise," Cricket said. After a moment, he asked, still smiling, "So, ah, how much did you see?"

"Enough," Fluttershy admitted, nervously.

Sighing loudly, Cricket said, "I thought so." After a moment, he raised an eyebrow, and asked, "Well, aren't you going to run and get the guards?" It seemed, after he said that, as though he was holding his breath, waiting for her response.

After a moment, Fluttershy shook her head. She really didn't see a reason to: the changeling didn't seem like a threat to her, or to anypony else, really. She'd have to tell Princess Celestia, of course, but that could wait a little while.

Letting out the breath he'd been holding, Cricket said, "Well, that's a relief. I'd really hate to have to try and outrun an angry mob today..."

Suddenly, his pet bunny jumped back up on his head and smacked him with the carrot again.

Rubbing his head, the changeling said, "Ow! What was that for?" The bunny dangled the carrot in front of his eyes. "And that couldn't wait five minutes?" The bunny pulled the carrot back up, and raised it as though to swing again. "Fine! Fine, have it your way." Turning back to Fluttershy, the changeling said, "Well, Miss Fluttershy, it was a pleasure to meet you, but I'm afraid I need to get this carrot cleaned off, or else I may end up with drain bamage."

Giggling, Fluttershy said, "I can see that." After a moment's thought, she said, "You know, I could take care of that for you. That is, if you don't mind."

His eyes widening in surprise, Cricket asked, "You could? I... I'd really appreciate that." The little rabbit, after a moment's hesitation, handed over the carrot.

Fluttershy took the carrot, and flew off to a nearby fountain she had spotted on her way to the park. As she flew back, she briefly wondered if the changeling would still be there when she got back...