• Published 26th Aug 2014
  • 1,696 Views, 34 Comments

Cape and Cowl - Artimae



A mare returns to Manehatten as the Mare do Well.

  • ...
1
 34
 1,696

Chapter Seven

1

July 16th, 1007,

Things have gone far better than expected. I was afraid I’d lost my chance at Facade after the Guard captured him, but one Lieutenant just happened to bring him to me.

It was enthralling, making him squirm. I made sure he yelled nice and loud for the guard to hear everything.

If I’m correct, that guard will tell his superior everything he heard. I gave him the crude map Facade had drawn up, as well. Now I just have to wait until the guards move against Bloodshot. I’ll be right behind them, waiting for my own chance to strike.

Bloodshot caught me by surprise. Now it’s my turn.

I’ll be prepared this time.

-Snow Storm


2

“Gentlecolts,” Captain Gilded Leaf began, offering Lieutenant Aella a perfunctory nod. “Lady.”

A large map of Manehattan was splayed on the wall for all of the Lieutenants in the room to see. Several red circles had been drawn on it, each individual one contributing to an even larger, slightly oblong oval shape. The Lieutenants of the Guard, both of Day and Night shifts, stared intently at it; memorized it. It had been a long time indeed since their good Captain had called a convention of this magnitude, and they were all ready to prove their worth.

“A crisis threatens our city,” the Captain said, drawing everyone’s attention to him. Ironic. I was never one for speeches… yet here I am, giving one. “And its name is Bloodshot.”

A low murmur rippled across the Lieutenants like a wave - they all knew the name. It had become almost legendary.

“I don’t have to remind any of you what happened four years ago. It took over half of the Guard in this city to bring that beast down… and he took a good number of us in return.” Aella’s eyes lowered until she stared at the floor between her front feet, vividly recalling the entire squadron she had commanded and lost to that crazed stallion. It was a night she had never fully forgiven the Captain for - he had dragged her away as she was screaming unladylike obscenities and trying desperately to send a crossbow bolt straight between Bloodshot’s eyes. It had taken almost a year of counseling under Mind Mender to get her fit for duty again.

And she’d had the very same reaction only a day ago. A year of therapy, of ‘getting over it’, down the drain in one night.

“He is once again a major crisis. He did not escape the asylum that he was sent to. No, he was let out. I am confirming what many of you have already suspected: In his infinite power, and significantly-less foresightedness, the Red Hoof ordered the release of his favorite rabid pet. He did so in an attempt to destroy the newest element in this city. The Mare do Well.”

Noises barely above whispers wafted over the room. By now, they had all heard of her little exploits. Some of them in that very room, including the Lieutenants Flyntt and Aella, had seen her standing toe-to-toe with Bloodshot only a few days ago. Everyone else had heard it second-hand, and some even disbelieved. Nopony in Manehattan could match him. Nopony.

“She has become a phantom thorn in his side. I only say phantom because, as far as I am aware, she barely acknowledges his very existence. Yet his need to control every aspect of this city, or else destroy that which he cannot control, compels him to take the most drastic of measures.”

“But we are not here to discuss one lunatic’s obsessive-compulsive traits. We are here because he was blinded by fear of the unknown and sought to unleash hell itself on this fair city for one costumed mare who doesn’t follow his by rules. We are here because Bloodshot must be stopped.” Captain Leaf levitated a small stick up to the map, tapping the center of each circled area in turn.

“It was told to me on good authority that these are potential safe houses where he might be staying. That is, unfortunately, all we have to work with. There’s never been any apparent pattern as to when and where he moves next. But we will raid them all the same..”

“We have another advantage,” Leaf continued. This hadn’t been so hard, after all. He almost liked talking in this manner. It was empowering. “Namely the fact that, believe it or not, Bloodshot is wounded. Several bolts were lodged into him, and even better, the Mare do Well broke his jaw.”

They all blinked at that, their faces denoting their surprise even as they remained professionally quiet. “Yes, Lieutenants. She actually managed to hurt him. Which is why we must use her to our advantage. As of this moment, the bounty on her head is off.”

He looked around, eyeing in particular those guards which he knew were nothing more than the Red Hoof’s own puppets. “I take it no one has a problem with that? She’s no longer our enemy. From now on, she’s our ally, and she will be treated as such.”

“And what of the rumors that we’ve made a temporary treaty with the Red Hoof over bringing down this monster?” one of the younger Lieutenants called out from the back. “He killed my brother!” Similar cries and murmurs of agreement could be heard in the cozy meeting room.

“We’re done with the Red Hoof,” Captain Leaf said flatly. This time there was no professional silence - sharp gasps could be heard throughout the room. “We’re done with letting him romp around our city. It’s time we became Guards again. After we’re done with his rabid pet, we go after him.”

One of the braver stallions in the pocket of the Red Hoof stepped forward. “You… you do know what this would mean for many of us, Captain?” he asked cautiously.

“Of course I do. I have a daughter at stake here. And I’m tired of that hanging over my head--over her head--like a dark cloud. For the first time, we have the upper-hoof. But this isn’t about the Red Hoof, this is about Bloodshot. These safe-houses-” he tapped the red circles again, “-are where he’s holed up. And wounded. Now it’s our job to find him, and quick. I would much prefer to take our time, send pegasi to scout and all that, but there’s little time. I reiterate: He is a crisis, and he must be stopped immediately.”

“Now for the plan.” Gilded Leaf’s mouth was a thin line as he concentrated. The funny part was, he didn’t have much of a plan at all. Not one that didn’t involve a lot of luck. “A pair of Lieutenants will lead a squad of eight regulars to each safe-house. You may take him down by whatever force necessary. If a crossbow bolt happens to go into his face… I won’t shed a tear. That does not mean, however, that you can play hero in all this. When you find him, fire a flare, and the rest of us will come.” Along with the Mare do Well, I hope...

“Sir, I’ve been here for thirteen years, and I will assist you with this mission, but afterwards… I’ll have to resign. You’re asking us to pick a side, and if I turn my back on you I’ll have disgraced the guard. If I turn my back on him, I’ll die,” the lieutenant said. Several others discreetly nodded in response.

“A shame,” Leaf said in response. “I’ve known many Guards who started off as his puppets… and decided to treat this position seriously. I’ve also known many who’ve had opposite fates. Leave if you wish, I’ll hold nothing against you. But don’t believe for a second that I won’t bring you down with him myself.”

“...of course,” the stallion said. Not that it mattered; he would likely be killed for having exposed his identity to the guard. At this point there was nothing left to lose.

“I hope Bloodshot finds me out there,” he muttered as the meeting finished, “It’d be a hell of a lot quicker than what the Boss’ll do…”

“Now then,” Leaf said, deciding to ignore his belly-aching Lieutenant. They’ll be dealt with later, themselves. “If we’re done with talks of future mutiny, we have a few more details to work out...”

* * *

“So what’s the big plan?” Pelleas asked Flyntt, catching up to the latter as the Guard Lieutenants all filed out of their rarely-used strategic room, their heads low with reined-in worry and brows furrowed deeply in contemplation. Even Flyntt himself wore an air of somberness, almost shrouding himself in it like a cloak on a drizzly day.

“The ‘big plan’ doesn’t concern you,” Flyntt replied, a certain steel edge in his voice. “You and the other Cadets are to follow normal patrols. In pairs.”

“But-”

Before Pelleas could get in another word of protest, Flyntt whirled around with such harsh quickness as to make the cadet recoil, his face hard and angry. “But nothing! This is far too dangerous for you!”

“Sir, we’re not foals here-”

“If you’re not a foal, then stop acting like one and accept your duties!” Flyntt snapped. He had enough on his plate now without worrying about keeping the younger guards, especially the one he’d actually grown attached to, safe. Or worse yet, have one of them get too gung-ho and try to play the hero.

Speaking of the hero… the weary Lieutenant mused. As he watched Pelleas storm off to get a new patrol route, Flyntt’s thoughts turned outward as he absentmindedly rejoined his comrades, wondering what part the Mare do Well will have in all this. Very little, he silently hoped, for she was even younger than most of the Cadets being forced away. Maybe she could hold her own better, sure, but still so damned young.

As he glanced out of a window into a grey, early-morning sky, he knew deep down that he hoped for too much.


3

Snow Storm lay on her back atop a building, staring aimlessly up at the newly dawned grey sky. The mask of her Mare do Well costume sat limply beside her, expressionless and harmless without a head to fill it.

High above, thick clouds full of a day’s worth of rain drifted listlessly by, prepared on the previous night by Manehattan’s own weather pegasi. Why is it, what was once her voice echoed in her mind, that it’s always raining on a climactic day?

The thought made her smile. Being the city’s ‘hero’ was nothing like her old collection of Power Ponies comics said--no Mane-iac for her to foil, or super friends with superpowers to back her up--but at least there was the rain on the big day. The day when everything came to a head, for good or ill.

Her stomach clenched. That was another thing which separated fantasy from reality - the Power Ponies could always count on winning the day. Even the ambitious and overly reckless Daring Do got her way, in the end. It was easy enough for A.K. Yearling to write out a happy ending for her favorite protagonist with just a few simple words.

Snow Storm wished she had that same luxury.

She yawned, fighting against heavy eyelids. How long had it been since she had a restful sleep? Not since she had come back home, really. Every night had been restless, herself sleeping only out of necessity. And then that creature that had ambushed her had rattled her cage significantly. She’d returned to Manehattan, sure as any arrogant youth that she was untouchable with her superior martial arts. She had never even considered there could be anyone else to match her, let alone best her with stupid brute force and a hide of steel.

Some twisted part of her was thankful for Bloodshot, though. He was the monster she’d had five years worth of nightmares about. That more than anything had thrown her off-guard. She came home expecting monsters, mindless beasts, and instead she met Bolt Buck. The fact that, not only could one of them ever have any ounce of remorse, but even be willing to help her as repentance hadn’t crossed her single-track mind also, in a way, caught her off-guard.

And so she had gone out, slightly calmer, expecting to find the others like him: a sniveling little coward who would throw themselves at her feet for forgiveness. And instead she found Bloodshot.

A not-unpleasant shiver ran down her spine at the thought of going up against him again, fully prepared this time. She could revel in a fight, holding nothing back. Not only could that monstrous stallion take it, but he fully deserved it as far as she was concerned.

Her thoughts drifted with the clouds, turning towards her return home. She brought her front hooves up to her eyes, staring at them and the purple boots on them. What was she even going to do after this whole mess was done and over? There was still the fourth… Rough Houser, his name was. But he’d probably skipped town by now, off in Baltimare or Chicacolt. If he was smart, that was.

She snorted in amusement. Sitting behind that relaxing orange cart had many advantages, and gossip was one of them. Ponies up and down Market Street were talking and talking and talking about the Mare do Well. About what she meant to and for the city.

What would happen if I told them all it’s just a ruse? A ruse, that’s what it amounted to. A veiled disguise to eke out revenge, nothing more.

But it could be more. His voice. Frost Storm’s. She heard it quite frequently; would probably hear it her entire life. But it had a point, she conceded as she stared at those booted hooves. The Mare do Well could be so much more for this city.

But who was she to decide that? She could go on to live a normal life after this. She still had her family, adopted though they may be. She still had a friend, somehow. She could be normal. Happy.

Maybe it isn’t that simple, though… I mean, you’ve enjoyed it too. The thrill of the fight, the adoration… it’s ok to admit that there’s been some fun times. And you’ve made me proud, anyway. Whether you chose to keep this up or not, you’ve more than avenged me in my book, Sis.

The thrill of the fight… The words were frightening in their truth.

Something caught her ear, causing it to twitch. She rolled onto her feet and slid the mask down on her face, following the source of the noise… no, noises. The clank of metal mixed un-harmoniously with the marching of dozens of sets of hooves.

So that older Fulake--she thought his name might be Flyntt--had kept his word, after all. He’d gone to his Captain, the Captain had formulated some sort of plan, and now they were on the march. Good.

She saw a mix of all pony races as they moved in packs, like trained wolves. She counted ten, two in armor more ornate than others. Obviously higher-ups. This was exactly what she had been waiting for, though she was admittedly surprised it had happened so quickly. Now they could flush Bloodshot out and lead her straight to him.

She frowned beneath the mask, upset mostly with herself for admitting she needed help in the first place. But she was one mare against a dozen possible locations. Just because one safe-house would be empty wouldn’t mean it would stay that way long after she’d gone to another, putting her in a possibly endless loop.

Instead, the Guard and their vastly superior abundance of resources would bring him out for her. Their crossbows didn’t hurt, either…

She shivered; this time it was cold, like an icicle tickling her spine. As much as she was excited to face an opponent that could match her, she had to swallow her pride and admit to needing help against him. It’d be stupid and arrogant to think he couldn’t put her on the defensive again… or worse.

But that would come later. For now, all she had to do for now was wait. There would be some sort of signal when he was found, she was sure.

She lay back down, removed her mask once again for the fresh air, and waited.


4

“Lieutenant Aella… I know it’s none of my business, but what are your personal stakes in this?” Pelleas asked as they flew through the city together. “I mean, Captain Leaf gave you specific instructions to not go after Bloodshot.”

“Because I want him dead,” she said casually, as if giving the time.

“Forgive me Lieutenant, but that’s not good enough. There’s got to be something more… what happened between you and that monster? All I’ve heard are rumors, and there’s a hundred of them. Please, tell me what really happened.”

“You really don’t want to know that, Pel.”

“Alright, you tell me the story and I’ll tell you my most embarrassing secret,” Pelleas said, unsure whether he should grin or not.

“I already figured you were a colt-cuddler,” she replied, shooting him a wink.

“I’m afraid of the dark,” he said, ignoring the jab. Aella cocked an eyebrow, her face an expression of mildly surprise. For a Fulake, the dark was their home, a place of comfort. Pelleas blushed, hoping her story would at least have made it worthwhile.

“You must’ve had a rough foalhood, then,” she instead remarked, trying her best to avoid the cadet’s badgering. It oughta work… kids like him love talking about themselves.

“Spent most of it at the orphanage,” he said. “I tried to fit in by changing my sleeping patterns. After awhile I could just sort of live a ‘normal life… not that it did much good. Just meant I got to be awake at the same time as the bullies… and when I tried to sleep during the day again, it felt wrong. And the night… the night just started feeling weird to me. I started to get why ponies are afraid of it. But anyway, I’ve told you my big secret. Can’t you at least give me the short version of yours?”

“Kid, you don’t want to hear it.

“I’ve heard the rumors. Some of them are nastier than ‘he killed your squad.’ Some say he was an old friend of yours who went nuts, others say he killed your fami-”

“All piles of pegasus shit, all of it,” Aella snapped harshly, sticking her lower lip out in a furious pout. “I didn’t know him ‘til four years ago when we brought him down. When he tore through my squad like they were paper. Kids barely older than you, thinking they’d be all honorable guards and romantic horse crap like that.”

“He… he killed them all? But how did you…?” Pelleas said, before turning to see she was in tears. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have pushed you to tell me this. When we find this guy- and we will find him- I’ll make sure you get the final blow.”

“‘How did I!?’ I followed orders, that’s how. I listened to the Captain and I didn’t stupidly charge in. But after it happened, I wanted to. But Leaf had me dragged off. Literally dragged away. I was cursing and spitting biles of hatred and venom. I told Leaf to shove that stick further up his own ass so he’d get comfortable. I even threw in a few hexes my grandmother taught me… lots of ponies thought she dabbled in black magic.”

“I wonder what sort of dark arts that could create a monster like that… I have a bad feeling, Aella. That if we don’t hurry, we won’t get through this without casualties.”

“Reality check, kid: we’re not heroes. The world doesn’t revolve around us. Every Lieutenant you can think of is out there now, with Leaf himself. And your Mare do Well friend. If we find them, you’d just do something stupid and I’d do something stupider and crazy.”

“I wish Flyntt was here; stupid and crazy are his specialty… anyway, we need to find the Mare do Well. I think she has a plan, and if we know it we can coordinate some sort of attack.”

“Or we’d just get in her way. She strikes me as the type to work alone.”

“Normally she would, but even she realizes what we’re up against… maybe we should grab a couple crossbows from the barracks. I know Leaf wants him taken alive, but confidentially? I don’t care. He’s no Captain of mine, the coward.”

“That’s exactly the attitude they had. Believe it or not, the Captain generally knows what’s best. He’s ‘Captain’ for a reason, Pel.”

“I hear he’s allowing the Red Hoof to ‘help’ find his mad dog. You want that bastard and his goons to find him first? That won’t be justice. That won’t be the guard avenging their own. That’ll just be another gang murder. If I can make even one difference tonight, I want it to be that the Red Hoof doesn’t get to him first. Everything else is secondary. What about you?”

Aella glanced sideways at the cadet, frowning. “Pretty speech, but as usual you’re wrong. Leaf cast off the Red Hoof tonight. Half the Lieutenants in the war-room were practically squirming at his blasphemy. The Red Hoof has nothing to do with tonight. Probably doesn’t even know what’s going on.”

“He what?” Pelleas gasped. After a few moments he regained his composure.

“Hmph. A little late for him to start showing some backbone… and he couldn’t have picked a worse time, either. Half the guard were in his pocket… now we’ll be going into this fight at a disadvantage. I want to have a word with him, once we’re done. If I don’t like how tonight goes I might even throw in my badge. There’s too much corruption on this force, Aella. Even without the Red Hoof’s lackeys in our uniforms.”

“Why, of course, your majesty,” Aella spat out sarcastically, sneering at Pelleas’ frustration. “You are, of course, the singular hero who can pull this entire Guard up and out of their corrupt slump. Talk of backbone is pretty until it’s your kid that’s threatened.”

“... how did you hear about that? The Captain told me that information was classified. He’s so protective of his daughter that nearly none of the guard knows he has one…” Pelleas eyed her suspiciously.

“Kid, when you’re one of the few active mares in the Guard, you become everyone’s friend and confident. Even the Captain’s. I’m practically ‘mom’ to the entire force. With me and an amber bottle, he’s told me things that’d make our hired psychiatrist’s head spin”

“Really now? I guess I’ll have to come to you the next ti-”

“Help!” a voice from a few blocks west of their position cried desperately.

“Great…” Pelleas sighed before rushing off after the scream, with Aella in tow.


5

The grey, gloomy skies opened for a light drizzle as Captain Gilded Leaf reached his designated safe-house, with his own contingent of Guards in tow. It was a nondescript apartment complex, just as Facade had described to Lieutenant Flyntt, who in turn described it to Captain Leaf himself. Nothing fancy, just a place any ol’ pony could rent and live comfortably. Fancy wasn’t the Red Hoof. Fancy drew attention.

“Sir, allow me to go first,” the Lieutenant accompanying Captain Leaf said. “You’re too valuable to lose in case of a trap.”

“Nopony in my Guard is more valuable than anyone else,” Leaf responded, admonishing his partner. The squad behind them shuffled their feet, eager and impatient to get the day going. The crossbows hanging at their sides were a foreign, but very welcome weight. He could see in their faces the excitement of the possibility of getting to use one in a real scenario, and felt something between pity and disgust. It was a look Aella would have recognized.

“Sir, may I go ahead?” one of the guard asked the Captain. “I know this place, my grandmother lives here. I want to make sure she’s alright,” he said nervously. It was a sentiment shared by many of the other ponies there; these safe houses weren’t secluded away from the rest of the world, but simple apartments, space shared with other residents… and more than a few of the guard had friends and family living there.

“No,” the Captain said flatly. “Once we’ve secured this area… one way or the other… we can check in on any family members.”

There was a brief murmur of disquiet at this amongst the group, but it was soon silenced by a look from the Captain. As they walked slowly through the halls, the place seemed eerily quiet. The sound of a dog suddenly barking outside made one of the newer guard jump, and put the rest on edge. Only the Captain remained completely calm.

“May I help you?” an elderly resident said sweetly from her doorway. “It’s rare to see Fulake up this late… or should I say this early?” she chuckled.

“No ma’am,” Captain Leaf said, not bothering to look at her. “Official business. I’d recommend you lock your door.”

“Are you looking for Bloodshot? He came by for some cookies before, he was looking rather hurt, poor dear… I bandaged him up as best I could, but he needed more help than a little old pony like me could give. I hope he reached the hospital in time, he does so love my raisin cookies…” she mused to herself.

Gilded Leaf stopped suddenly enough to force the line of ponies behind him to run into each other. He turned to the dam, squinting with some combination of curiosity and contempt. “You know him?”

“Of course! I met him about five years ago. He had taken a lot of some sort of drug and was convulsing outside my apartment, so I ran him a cold bath and gave him some soup. He’s the sweetest, dearest thing… but he’s rather unstable as well. I heard he got some help a few years ago, and I visited him every week or so. I’m surprised they let him out so early, though… he always seemed like he could really hurt somepony with that temper of his if he let it.”

“...” Gilded Leaf glanced over at his Lieutenant, who looked as baffled as the Captain felt. “Where… is he now?”

“He wouldn’t say, but… oh…” She began to sob, “I think he’s… I think he’s killed someone. There was blood on his hooves when I opened the door… oh my dear Bloodshot…”

“How could you possibly harbor somepony like that!?” one of the guards piped up, drawing the ire of his Captain.

“Oh? Somepony like what, my dear?” she asked sweetly, “Was he a criminal? He always seemed so sweet to me…”

“No, he wasn’t,” the Captain lied quickly, “but we need to find him as quickly as possible. Your suspicions about him being dangerous were correct- we believe he could be a danger to himself and others, so any information you might have would be greatly appreciated.”

After a few moments of contemplation, the old dam thought of something.

“Oh! There is one place he likes to go when he’s upset… a nearby playground. He tells me he’s been going there since he was a colt…”

“A playground!? Sir, if there are kids nearby and he goes nuts…” one of the guard whispered to the Captain.

“In today’s rain? I doubt it. But we can’t be too careful.”

“Oh, please make sure he gets the help he needs,” the old mare said as they turned to leave.

“We will,” Captain Leaf replied, walking away with his Guards. “We will.”

* * *

Flyntt groaned. Not only was he out looking for some crazed stallion who could probably break them all if he had the mind to, but he was doing it with Murdoc. Of all the Lieutenants to get stuck with, it had to be him.

No, of course Aella had to be the crazy one, he thought sourly, trying his best to keep his face straight. It wouldn’t do good for any of the lowers to see a Lieutenant acting like a foal. Maybe I should’ve been a little nuts, too. Get myself out of this assignment.

“Well, I’m not afraid of this guy,” one of the guard said arrogantly, “we’re ten ponies with crossbows. He’s one. Unarmed. We see him, we shoot him, we go home. End of story.”

“Life is never that simple,” Flyntt said, taking a peek at his partner. Murdoc, usually opinionated to the point of bordering on bigoted, was unusually quiet.

“Aella was crying before,” he said at last. She was the one Fulake he treated like a friend, though that was hardly surprising, with her being the most popular source of advice in the Guard.

“I don’t ever want to see her cry again. Listen, all of you!” he said, turning to the others.

“Killing another pony is completely against the laws of Manehattan and the rules of the Guard… but this ‘Bloodshot’ is not a pony. He is a monster, and should he fall to your bolts, I will hold none responsible.”

Yes, sir!” they responded in unison.

“Flyntt, I owe you an apology,” he said quietly as they marched onwards towards the apartments “I’ve never really been a fan of your kind. Frankly I see your average Fulake as shifty, lazy and untrustworthy, but the Captain trusts you all with his life, and so should I. I’ll never command any respect if half the Guard are shooting daggers at me whenever I’m not looking.”

“Come on, Murdoc, don’t get all mushy on me. I thought you hated everyone equally!”

“Hmph.” He grinned slightly. “I suppose I’m getting sentimental because we’re all being sent into the meat grinder. These fools think a few bolts will stop him, but so did they, all those years ago… I’m a little worried we may lose a few tonight, and Fulake or not, a Guard is a Guard, and any such loss would be a tragedy.”

Flyntt shrugged. “Maybe we’ll get lucky and he’s not here. Then we can just relax and wait for the signal.”

Relax?” Murdoc laughed coldly, “You think any of us will be able to relax tonight? Best case scenario is he only kills a few of us.”

“No, best case scenario is Mare do Well helps us out.”

“Strange that she hasn’t appeared yet… are you certain she’s still alive?”

“What reason would she have to appear if she wasn’t sure where Bloodshot was hiding? To check up on us?”

“...Or to use us as bait,” Murdoc said darkly.

“You think she’s that crafty? It’s not as if we don’t share a common goal here.”

“For all we know, this could all be some elaborate plan by the Red Hoof. We’re at our most vulnerable here… who’s to say she’s not working for him? I hear his second in command is a brilliant strategist…”

“Red Hoof already has this city in his hooves, what more could he want? He could be mayor at any time and he knows it.”

“Maybe you’re right… you, over there!” Murdoc said angrily to one of the others who had wandered off from the group. “Just what the hell do you think you’re doing? We are to move as a group!”

“But, sir! A flare just went up!”

“You heard him, a flare has been spotted! I’ll take point, and d if something should happen to me you are to follow Flyntt’s orders without question! Is that understood?”

Yes, sir!


6

“C’mon Sis, you’re gonna miss the best part!”

Snow Storm ran through the streets, too small to see the celebrations over the heads of the adults gathered in front of her. The sound of various instruments floated down the city’s paths, and it was joined by the chorus of a thousand voices chatting busily. Frost Storm turned to his sister, smiling.

“Need a boost? You’re still a bit too small to see the fire dancers from there,” he teased.

“Yes, please!” The tiny filly said, standing up on her hind legs for her brother to pick her up easier.

Frost Storm carefully lifted her above the crowd, who stood in awe at the incredible display in front of them. Three ponies twirled staffs in their mouths that were on fire at each end, and the sight of the flames in the jet black of night was hypnotic.

After awhile, the two continued along, not bothering with the rest of the fire juggling act. It was just another hour of the same thing over and over, anyways. “Where do you wanna go next? The fortune teller? Maybe go grab a snack? I won’t tell Mom if you won’t!” he grinned- Mrs. Orange had kept them on a strict diet for a few months now.

“We’re not gonna miss the fireworks, are we!?”

“Of course not! But we’ve got a little time before then, so we might as well enjoy it,” he said, grinning from ear to ear.

The two stopped at the tent of the fortune teller, an old unicorn who seemed lost in thought (or was perhaps simply half-asleep.) Frost Storm coughed to get her attention.

“How much would our fortunes cost?” he asked.

The mare looked him over as if sizing him up, before turning to the filly.

“Hers is free. Yours will be five bits.”

Frost Storm sighed, handing her the money and trying hard to conceal a smirk as she put on a silly act in an attempt to ‘see through the veil’.

“Oh… I see a great fortune in your future! Invest in carpets… or curtains, it’s fairly hazy.”

She then turned to the filly, smiling sweetly.

“Now then, would you like your fortune read little one?” she asked.

Snow Storm giggled and nodded. She knew it was all hogwash, of course, but if big brother believed in it, that’s all she needed.

The unicorn started her theatrics, humming and waving her hooves in front of her ‘crystal ball’. “Ahh… aahhh… aha! Yes I see it!” Her face went flat, and she leaned forward, turning over a sign that was hanging on the front of the table. “I see my lunch. Goodbye.”

“Hey, wait! You can’t just-!” But the unicorn was gone. Frost Storm sighed, walking out of the tent with Snow Storm in tow. “Don’t worry Sis, she’s just weird, all fortune tellers are like that. Besides, I can tell you your future if you’d like,” he offered to the filly, who seemed a little down.

“Aw, but only unicorns can do that! Don’tcha know that!?”

“You don’t need to be a unicorn to be magical, silly!” He smiled. “Earth ponies can do stuff that’d make any unicorn head for the hills!” he laughed for a moment, and then his face grew an expression so serious it was comical. “Hrm… ah yes… I see… I see… apples!”

Frost Storm’s little sister giggled up at him. “But Frosty, we live on an orange farm!”

“Grove, sweetie,” he corrected, putting on a mock-scholar tone. “We live on an orange grove.”

“Fiiiine,” Snow Storm groaned, drawing out the word and sticking out her tongue. She hated being corrected. “Grooooove!”

“Yep, that’s right! Hey, look kiddo!” He swept her up, letting her scramble up onto his back for a better view of the sky. “The real show’s about to begin! Here comes the first one!”

* * *

A ball of light danced in the hazy mid-morning sky, shooting upwards like a wishing star in reverse. It glowed incredibly, piercing even through the curtain of rain now pummelling the city. It caught Snow Storm’s half-opened eye, and for a moment she thought it simply the beginning of a long-gone fireworks show.

Her eyes snapped opened, and she flew up into a sitting position, scowling to herself. She had fallen asleep! Unbelieveable. She ran a hoof across her cheeks, wondering why her face felt so puffy. Her question was answered as she blinked, feeling the remnants of tears at the corners of her eyes. Of course; it wasn’t the first time she’d woken up crying.

No time now. Later. Yes. Later. When all was said and done, she could bawl her eyes out. But for now, there was Bloodshot to deal with.

She stood up, pulling the soaked mask over her face and slapping the hat back into place. The dream had been about fireworks, but that had definitely been a flare she saw. A guard’s flare.

She took off. Some part of her almost hoped they’d already dealt with the massive pony.

And some part of her hoped she’d get him all to herself.


7

As Captain Leaf’s squadron approached the playground, an eerie silence hung in the air. There was a small colt sitting on a swing by himself, but no sign of Bloodshot. The Captain slowly approached the child, nodding to the others to follow.

“Sir, it could be a trap,” one of the guard warned him. “A child playing here in the rain? Seems almost too convenient.”

“Do I not have nine of you backing me?” Captain Leaf asked sharply, turning his attention back to the colt. “It’s a little wet to be playing outside, son.”

“Might be,” the child answered with impertinence. “This place is a little empty for nine guards, too.”

“What do you mean, nine guards?” one of the others chimed in.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I miscounted. Eight,” he said, putting on a sharp, humorless grin.

“Sir, we’re missing two-” another guard began.

“Kid,” Leaf snarled, deciding politeness was a waste of time. “I’m having a really bad morning. Don’t play games with me.”

“You were the one that put away Big Bro for three years,” the colt said, smiling darkly. “And now he wants to play. You’ve already lost two… shall we make it three?”

Captain Leaf backed away from the colt, yelling into the air. “Bloodshot! I know you’re here!”

Do you?"a voice said from nearby. Bloodshot walked out from behind a wall, his hooves stained with fresh blood. His grin was wide and maniacal, his eyes wide.

“Gotta say, they’re weaker than they used to be. Your standards must be slipping… and to think, you didn’t even notice they were gone! Must mean a whole lot to you…” He smiled as the guard all took aim.

Silhouettes fluttered in the sky as more and more guards came in response to the flare. They carefully nocked bolts into their crossbows and put Bloodshot in their sights.

The stallion merely laughed at the overwhelming numbers, as if he still held the upper hoof. As he reached into his pocket and took out a small vial of silver liquid, the Captain knew why immediately.

“You know what this is, don’t you Captain?” he said, his voice dripping with malevolence. “Never tried it myself… wonder what it’d do to a pony that’s already invincible?”

Before the Captain could even order them to fire, he downed the vial in a single gulp. His eyes began to shimmer slightly against the rain. Within seconds he had rushed towards one of the guard, knocking them down with now-blinding speed before moving to the next. To the Captain’s horror, the bolts were making their mark… and it wasn’t slowing him down at all.

“Sorry Captain, but you’re nothing but an appetizer. I’m still waiting for the main course to show up.” The crazed stallion flashed a toothy grin as the Captain watched while Aella’s tragic mistake was repeated in front of his very eyes.

“Bloodshot, what are you doing!?” A new stallion galloped up, panting and heaving. Snow Storm would have instantly recognized him as the last pony on her list, Rough Houser. “You were supposed to stay indoors!” he managed in between deep breaths.

“I got bored. Besides, what’s the point of breaking me out if the Boss didn’t want me to raise hell? And given how weak these pitiful foals are, I’d say I’m doing the city a favor. I wouldn’t send these weaklings out to protect a parcel, let alone a city!”

“Who’re you!?” Leaf snapped at the newcomer.

“Nobody important,” Bloodshot cut in before Rough Houser could speak. “And if he’s smart he’ll go back to the Boss and tell him that I quit. I can take this city by myself, for myself, and the second I’m done with that stupid costumed filly I’ll be coming for him. You got that?” he said to the shocked stallion.

“Not if I have anything to say about it,” the Captain said, his horn glowing with a protective spell just in case everything went to hell. In situations like this, it always did. “Guards! …” It was only a moment’s hesitation - rarely had he ever had to call this. “Open fire! Take him down!”


8

Snow Storm dashed between rooftops, still trying to shake the lingering images of her dream from her mind. She made a mental note to visit her brother’s grave once this was all done. She had a lot she wanted to say… but for now, her goal was the place she had seen the flare fall.

Guards flew overhead in a swarm, paying her absolutely no heed. A few stories below, she could hear those who couldn’t fly as they bolted through streets and ducked through alleyways to get to their target.

She herself kept a breakneck pace through the rain, seeming to fly through the air as she leapt from one building to another. The guards may get Bloodshot, but not before she’d had her fill.

* * *

Snow Storm peeked over the edge of the last building, reading the situation below. Bloodshot stood at the center of a large semi-circle, dozens upon dozens of crossbows trained on him from all angles. She felt uneasy as she looked at him, but tried to ignore it. She placed a hoof up on the lip of the roof, meaning to step up and tackle the massive brute from above.

But she hesitated. For once in her life, Snow Storm hesitated. Something rumbled deep in her gut, twisting it. Her heart thumped against her chest. The ground below swirled slightly, and she reeled. She felt the confidence she’d held onto slip away.

What’s going on!? she asked herself, not really expecting an answer. Certainly not the one she was about to get.

You’re afraid. You’re actually scared for once. That’s what’s going on.

But that couldn’t possibly be. She had nothing to be afraid of. Not anymore. She made sure of that.

And yet the very stallion down there showed you how wrong you are. She scowled, but it was true. For the first time, she didn’t feel very much like the Mare do Well.

For the first time, she felt like the scared seventeen year old filly that she really was.

Have you so easily forgotten? A new voice entered her mind - one she hadn’t heard in almost a year now. It was the voice of a stallion who seemed… not old, but timeless. An old sire who had found her, passed out and without food or water. So he had taken her back to his quaint little village, a collaboration of buildings somewhere in the San Palomino desert that no map would ever see, and most wanderers would think a mirage.

For the moment, she stopped seeing Bloodshot. She stopped seeing the guards, or the playground, or anything else. The eyes she looked with were in her mind, and she saw the sire. “Such an emotional child,” he had once said to her. He had taught her many things, after she had hounded him to do so. She could vaguely recall a group of bandits, and watching how he had taken care of them while barely breaking a sweat. She told herself she needed to learn how to do that.

“The heat of battle is a paradox. A culmination of every emotion, but it must be devoid of such,” he had said, clouting her on the head for the umpteenth time. Every strike had just made her madder and madder, which for him made the fight easier and easier. “So emotional! It makes you stupid and clumsy. Was I angry at those who raided my village? Was I afraid of their superior numbers and incredible youth? No! Your mind must be clear!”

Clear. Yes. That was the key she had been missing. Her mind hadn’t been clear; quite the opposite, in fact. It had been running away from her. Her mind had become a hurricane, swarming with chaotic thoughts. Had she been so blind?

As she looked upon Bloodshot again, she felt that sense of fear linger still. Had he not put her on the defensive once already? Her head still throbbed with the dull ghost of the pain he inflicted upon her some nights ago. This wasn’t some normal pony she was after. He was like a boulder.

A boulder…

There’s no way I can break that! she had thought, glancing between the large stone and the stern but not unkind face of her teacher. She vaguely recalled having the exact same thought on her first meeting with Bloodshot. He was almost exactly like that boulder.

“You look but you do not see! Stop living in the physical world, filly!”

The physical world… She blinked, coming to her senses. That giant rock had finally, finally managed to crack beneath her hooves. After years of trying, gallons of blood and several broken bones, she had been able to make a hairline crack. Bloodshot wasn’t a pony, he was that boulder she had come to despise, almost more than the four thugs themselves. The boulder that had beaten her several times over until she managed to overcome it.

She took a deep breath, gathering herself and forcefully shoving all other thoughts away.

It was time to crack that boulder.


9

A purple blur came from the sky like a meteorite, knocking Bloodshot off of his hooves. Several Guards fired their crossbows in a knee-jerk reaction. Most bolts flew wild, though a couple managed to hit the towering stallion.

To Captain Gilded Leaf’s horror, however, one had also lodged itself shallowly in the Mare do Well’s shoulder.

Hold your fire!” he commanded, seeing them wind and nock their empty weapons. “We can’t risk hitting the Mare do Well again!”

* * *

Heheheh…” Bloodshot chuckled, standing up. He felt like he’d just been run over by a freight train, and he relished in it. “About time. I was beginning to think you’d never show up,” he wheezed, “just how many guards do I have to kill to get a real challenge around here?

Snow Storm stood there, ignoring the flaring white-hot pain in her left shoulder. That leg was already becoming useless, barely able to hold her weight. She held the hoof off of the ground, not daring to put any pressure on it. Tears were rolling down her cheeks from the pain, causing her vision to become fuzzy. I’m already at a disadvantage, she thought, taking long breaths and biting the inside of her cheek. She could feel a small line of blood trickle down her leg. It blocked most of the wound off… so there’s that.

I wanna see that face of yours,” he said, trying to upset her. “See, the thing is… I don’t get it. You ain’t a guard, and to protect the city for free every night, ‘just because’? Nobody’s that selfless. So what are you after, filly? What did I do to you… and who did I do it to?” he asked tauntingly, his grin becoming wicked.

She paid him no heed. Their fight had now begun, and he had kicked it off by trying to play mind games with her. He’d regret that, soon enough.

The stallion began to walk circles around the mare, observing his prey for the slightest sign of weakness. After a few second he struck her from behind with such speed that she didn’t have time to block. His hoof landed on her rump, sending her staggering forward. He tried for a leg sweep to catch her off balance, but the mare saw the attack coming and responded with a quick blow to his already fractured jaw. He stumbled, muttering some muffled obscenities before readying himself for his next move.

On the defensive… exactly where I didn’t want to be. This was going to be one interesting fight, with one leg out of commission.

He charged again, like a rampaging bull. She ducked to the side, trying to raise her injured leg in response despite the searing pain pulsating in her shoulder. It swung lazily; the entire leg had gone numb. Oh great.

Heeheheheh…” the stallion put himself in a position to grasp the bolt in her shoulder and twist it around. The shaft broke off with a weak snap. The mare screamed, an act that was normally beyond her as a flash of pain shot all the way up her spine. She grimaced, gritting her teeth with such intensity that she was sure they’d crack if she squeezed her jaw any tighter, before swatting his arm away. She backed up, losing her footing on her wobbling legs and falling down. A curtain of white danced at the edge of her eyes, threatening to drag her down into unconsciousness. She clutched her shoulder, bracing herself on the ground as the world spun faster and faster.

Out of nowhere, the stallion grabbed her mask and wrenched it from her face, eager to see the mare beneath. After a few seconds he recognized her face, and slowly broke into a wild grin.

* * *

It was like those stage plays that Gilded Leaf’s mother would sometimes take him to. He watched the events unfold, entranced. His own foreleg had grown numb from holding it in the air, keeping the rest of his guards at bay. He couldn’t dare let them risk hitting the Mare do Well again.

He watched the costumed mare fall to the ground in slow motion. Watched as she writhed in agony. He even watched as the monster tore her mask off, and she was helpless to stop him. Seeing all of it as though they were moving underwater.

An odd thought struck him. She’s barely older than my own daughter.

My own daughter.

That could easily have been his daughter. Aureate… In a blink, everything came rushing back to the Captain of the Guard. “What are you doing!?” he bellowed to every guard within earshot. “Help her! Now!

At this, each member of the guard fired at once. In a moment of perfect timing, Snow Storm grabbed the stallion with what little strength she had left and used him as a shield, as six bolts landed in his back. His screams contained more than just rage now, there was something else there as well. Something that gave the mare a renewed sense of hope.

Fear.

She pulled herself up, willing the sweet embrace of unconsciousness away with everything she had. The Guards had given her an opening, and she wasn’t about to throw it away. Now she was on the offensive for the first time since the fight had begun. It was a strange feeling, backing this monster into a corner… but she had a bad feeling about it. What was it about cornered animals…?

Suddenly he jabbed, with Snow Storm taking the hit in full force. Had he not left his hoof there for a fraction of an inch too long, she wouldn’t have been able to pull off her next move, taking his extended hoof and breaking it in a single fluid motion with a satisfying snap.

ARGH!” he yelped, the smile on his face contorting into a grimace. “How did you…?”

Her only response was to twist around and buck him in the chest, balancing on her one good foreleg while her hind legs slammed into him with the strength of a hammer on an anvil. He began to cough blood as he slowly backed away.

“Dammit, did I not take enough? I should be invincible!” Bloodshot said, his next strike parried, leaving him wide open for the first time as he reeled from an uppercut. Snow Storm then started to pummel his chest with a series of blows too quick to be seen, emanating an unintelligible noise from her gullet. Her one good forehoof was a blur, striking him repeatedly.

This… can’t…be… happening!” he protested, falling to the ground, trying to catch his breath. As he slowly picked himself back up, he pulled out another vial of the silvery liquid from before. “Heheh...this ends here!” he proclaimed, downing the vial. In a sudden blur he grabbed her, lifting her off the ground with his one good hoof. She flailed her legs at him, but it was so much a useless reflex. For a few terrible seconds she was afraid she would suffocate in his grip, but he fell back, grabbing at his chest where a new bolt had struck. He coughed, wheezed and then hit the ground, shuddering before laying still.

Lieutenant Aella of the Night Guard dropped her crossbow to the ground. Her body trembled and she fell onto her back, weak spurts of humorless laughter turning into pitiful sobs as relief swept over her all at once.

Her own nightmare, at least, was over.


10

The Mare do Well picked herself up, gasping for air. She looked over at the still form of Bloodshot, but felt none of the joy she’d hoped for. Relief, definitely. But no joy.

In fact, she was almost sorry.

She limped over to where her mask had been torn off and slid it back over her face. She heard a cry from behind some piece of playground equipment, and saw a pair of guards dragging out a familiar looking stallion. Perhaps before the fight he would have struggled, kicked or screamed when the guards caught him, but now his head was held low in defeat. He only raised his gaze to meet hers, the guards stopping as she walked towards him.

It was strange… she no longer felt the hate she once did for the stallion, only pity and disgust. It was as though the rage she had held for five long years had been consumed in the fires of Bloodshot’s madness. A small part of her felt almost grateful for that much, and in a twisted way she would miss having a worthy opponent for once.

She merely nodded to the guard, who took Rough Houser away without a word. After a few minutes Pelleas arrived on the scene.

“You’re alive!” he said, rushing forward and hugging her in a move neither seemed to see coming. The crowd seemed amused by this, but he quickly pulled himself away, blushing.

“I, er…” he began, “I didn’t know whether I’d see you again, that’s all.”

“I thought I ordered Cadets to stay away,” Captain Leaf said, strolling up to the pair with a sour expression on his face.

“We couldn’t take it anymore, Captain. We knew it was against orders, but… if he had killed you all, we would have had to have lived with knowing how useless we were-”

“Sir,” the Lieutenant from before cut in, the one in the pocket of the Red Hoof, “I apologize for my actions earlier. If you are willing, I’ve decided to commit myself full time to being a Guard, as have the others. The Red Hoof has lost his ace… and now the city has one of her own, too,” he turned, smiling towards the Mare do Well.

“Yes, about that…” Captain Leaf mused. He pointed to the costumed mare. “Detain her immediately.”

The entire crowd gasped, then fell into a stony silence. Only Pelleas dare speak.

“Sir… after all she’s done for the city, done for us… why?”

“If I told you it was for her own good, you’d refuse to believe me.”

“...I knew it. And just when I thought you had finally grown a spine… I quit,” Pelleas said, throwing his armor to the ground in disgust before walking away.

Flyntt limped towards the Captain, quietly picking up Pelleas' chestplate.

“I’ll take her, Sir,” he said after a moment.

Gilded Leaf nodded. “Make sure she gets treated, and then prepare her. The Mayor wants to see her personally.”


11

That night, there was celebrating on the streets. Those that had lost loved ones to Bloodshot visited their graves in solemn remembrance, and others would gossip and chatter about their memories of the monster, happy that the city was a little bit safer than it had been the night before. The Oranges felt a sense of closure to the five-year injustice that had been thrust upon them, and even Bolt Buck felt a weight off his shoulders, know he had helped to bring Bloodshot down.

But in a single apartment on the far side of town, a elderly mare was not happy at all. She simply held her head in her hooves and wept.

Author's Note:

Artimae: Here is Seven. 'The Big One', as I call it. It's the action-y one, the Showdown, et cetera.

You may be surprised, perhaps even a little angry at it. Because the real fight itself is short. Because Snow Storm isn't the one who brings the Big Bad down. Both were most definitely on purpose.

I've learned to write fighting from Stephen King - and his fights are short. As Roland of Gilead said, it mostly boils down to five minutes of fighting. I've taken my cues from that. On the flip side, Anakin and Obi-Wan had a very long fight in Revenge of the Sith. Remember that? No? Where they went on and on, and even Ewan McGregor admitted that "you get over the initial explosion of why they're fighting about five minutes in." (Paraphrased from Commentary). This was the right length, the natural length. You see a similar length in The Gray Wolf. If it goes on too long, it becomes boring. I've ever found the formula that works for me is build up, build up, build up, fight, cooldown. If the fight is short enough, you're still excited about it at the end. That's what I usually aim for, anyways.

So why isn't Snow the one who brings down the Big Bad? Does that invalidate her standing as the Mare do Well? No. It only serves to reinforce that she's just a mare in a costume. I hate the 'Chosen One' trope; she's not the only character in the story who can do significant feats, and she never will be. She's a hell of a martial artist, yeah, but she got wrecked.

And secondly, I hate it when cops become cannon fodder (why does Gotham City even have a Police Department?). When I began this series, one thing that always stuck at the forefront of my mind was make Guards useful. They're there for a reason. They can do things, too. They're not there to make themselves look stupid, and make her look good. The Mare do Well and the City Guard work in conjunction with each other.

For the most part.

Post Script: Well, here it is. Snow Storm's big moment, the climax we've been building to. In a strange way, it was a sad thing to write- this story had taken a very long time to write, and when we were finally done with it, I could only look back and wonder and what we left unsaid. One of the things we did I was proudest of with this chapter was avoid Snow Storm bringing Bloodshot down single-handedly. As a matter of fact, she wasn't even the one to make the decisive blow, in the end. And in having her choosing to spare Rough Houser, we show how she's grown from her journey. Revenge simply doesn't matter anymore, not now that she's realized that the city is what really matters. It was in those closing moments that Snow Storm truly becomes the the paragon of justice that the city believed her to be.