• Published 2nd Feb 2014
  • 3,890 Views, 13 Comments

The Nightmare of Princess Cadence - twilightsparkle3562



Princess Cadence is haunted by memories of her imprisonment during the Changeling Invasion of Canterlot

  • ...
12
 13
 3,890

Twilight's Arrival

Chapter 4

“Twilight's Arrival”

As Twilight and Spike arrived at Canterlot, they were unaware that Cadence and Shining Armor had already arrived ahead of them. By this time, Cadence was led into Canterlot Castle and placed in the private suite that she had during her wedding. Shining Armor was glad to see that his wife was resting comfortably, but he wanted what was plaguing Cadence to go away and that would not be easy for him to do or to wish. As he let her rest, Shining Armor walked into the throne room and unlike most times where he would always come in to hear orders from Princess Celestia or Princess Luna, he felt like the most helpless pony in all of Equestria at that moment.

“I’d just wish I could help Cadence,” he said sadly, his head hung low. “If only the Changelings didn’t invade, none of this would have happened.”

“It’s not your fault, Shining Armor,” said Luna, walking over towards him. “My sister and I were completely fooled by them just as much as you. We were not aware that Cadence was really who she was.”

“How could you know, Luna?” asked Shining Armor, surprised that Luna would say such a thing. “You’re the Princess of the Night, if there are two ponies to blame for what happened to Cadence, it’s me and Princess Celestia.”

Luna was speechless and looked over towards Celestia, who was also showing a look of guilt on her face. After all, she was the princess of the sun and the true ruler of Equestria. As a result, she accepted some of the responsibility for what had happened to Cadence. Had she and Shining Armor took Twilight’s concerns seriously, then maybe the outlook would have been a lot more different. Of course, that was not the case.

“Shining Armor is right, dear sister,” she said walking over and looking towards the stained glass window of Shining Armor and Cadence saving Canterlot. “I am just as falable as any other pony in Equestria and even I can make mistakes at times. Ever since the invasion, I have had a lot to think about in terms of being a good ruler, a good teacher to Twilight and a good Aunt to Cadence.”

Celestia then turned over to see that Twilight and Spike had just arrived. Twilight ran towards her brother and hugged him as Celestia and Luna watched from a distance. Twilight then walked over to Celestia and hugged her as well. This made Celestia smile a little for that the one pony she could trust was now with her in her niece’s time of need.

“It’s good to see you, Twiley,” said Shining Armor, feeling comfort now that his little sister was here. “Cadence needs you right now.”
“Where is she, big brother?” asked Twilight, not knowing that Cadence was already asleep just across the hall.

“She’s asleep, finally,” sighed Shining Armor, feeling tired himself. “Everyone in the Crystal Empire is worried about her. To them, Cadence and I are probably the best thing that has happened to the Crystal Empire in 1,000 years.”

Shining Armor was right, Twilight knew that King Sombra’s rule over the Crystal Ponies had filled their hearts with fear and torment and now that he was destroyed, life was returning to normal for them. To everyone in the throne room, this was nothing more than a leftover obstacle that they all had to endure.

“There must be something we can do,” said Twilight, trying to figure out what to do. Being a bookworm, Twilight would normally have a book on how to control nightmares. But, she didn’t even think of bringing one with her since this was an emergency. “If only I had a book or something.”

“You wouldn’t need one,” said Celestia, trying to dismiss the idea as she walked back towards her throne. “Sometimes, my faithful student, we must realize that books cannot solve everything. All that we could do is support Cadence in her time of need right now.”

Celestia then sat back down and looked out towards the room where Cadence was in. It was very clear to Twilight that there was very little for Celestia to do to help her niece. After all, she was still recovering from the public scrutiny from her subjects not that long ago. But just then, Luna had an idea and then walked over to Celestia to present her idea.

“I have an idea, my sister,” she said. “As Princess of the Night, I can enter the dreams of other ponies and talk to them as they sleep.”
This gave Shining Armor a gasp of hope, knowing that Princess Luna could do that for Cadence. After all, being the Princess of the Night, Luna was nocturnal most of the time and that by entering Cadence’s dream, she could help her niece overcome the fear that she held most greatly.

“You can do that, Princess Luna?” he asked excitedly. “You can enter Cadence’s dreams and help her as she sleeps?”

“Yes, I can,” replied Luna. “It is my duty to enter the dreams of ponies and console them as they sleep. Recently, I helped a young filly named Scootaloo overcome her fears of being a disappointment to Rainbow Dash.”

Twilight then remembered that Rainbow Dash told her about Scootaloo’s encounter with Princess Luna during their camping trip to Winsome Falls. Scootaloo had to face her fear of disappointing Rainbow Dash and in the end; it helped them come closer together.
“Do you think it could work, Princess?” asked Twilight. “I mean the same thing with Scootaloo?”

“Of course, Twilight Sparkle,” she said. “Princess Cadence must face her fears, because if she does not, the nightmares that haunt her will continue to torment her.”

Shining Armor could well understand what Princess Luna was saying. He could remember when Cadence began having the nightmares and he had to tell her that Cadence had the love and support of those around her while Chrysalis had nothing.
Nevertheless, the torment continued despite his valiant efforts and the time had come for the Princesses to intervene.

“When do you plan on helping Cadence?” he asked.

“I will hence tonight,” replied Luna, preparing herself for the task at hand. “When you are all asleep and I assume my duties of Princess of the Night, then that is when I will see for myself the torment that Cadence is enduring.”

As she listened to Luna’s plans, Twilight wanted to see the torment that Cadence had endured. In many ways, it would help give her a sense of closer to that horrible day at the wedding rehearsal. Stepping forward, she looked at Luna earnestly and her violet eyes locked with hers.

“I want to see for myself as well,” said Twilight, but Luna didn’t quite know what to make of this.

“That cannot be possible, Twilight Sparkle,” she replied. “This is a mission that I must do alone. Besides, you have experienced the Canterlot Caves for yourself and you have done enough to help save the wedding.”

This made Twilight grow slightly upset at this remark. But, Celestia knew that Twilight was important to Cadence and wanted to have her sister help her out.

“It would give Twilight a sense of closer,” replied Princess Celestia. “Let her go this once, my sister.”

Knowing how important this was to Twilight as much as it was to her and Celestia, Luna sighed heavily and gave in to what her sister wanted her to do.

“Very well then, Twilight Sparkle,” she said to the lavender unicorn who was her sister's protégé. “You may come with me tonight. Meet me when all are asleep.”

So as Twilight and Luna prepared themselves to go inside Cadence’s dream, Spike had left them all alone and cuddled up next to Princess Cadence as she slept in the former bridal suite. He wanted to make Cadence feel comfortable and supportive, much like she was when Spike was just a newborn dragon.

“I’m not leaving you, Cadence,” Spike thought to himself as he laid next to her. “Not until you are back to your old self…Aunt Cadence.”