• Published 2nd Feb 2014
  • 7,481 Views, 357 Comments

The Second Year; Gravidity - TwilightsmyMare



When your married to the most beautiful mare in Ponyville and have adoped the cuteist filly around things can't get better right? What? A foal? Wow... Taking place within season three this is Twilight, Scootaloo and I's continuing story

  • ...
38
 357
 7,481

Epilogue

Guards clear the room! Twilight! What’s happened? What...

Princess! Please... I... I don't know what happened...

I... His heart is shutting down, the ascension spell has split the two of you...

Cancel it! Take it back please Princess!

I cannot... The spell is of your making Twilight Sparkle, it cannot be undone...

No! I won't let him die!

Twilight please your expending too much magic it's not safe...

I won't give up!

Calm down please...

No! I won't calm down! I won't stop! He wouldn't...

This isn't helping...

Get away from me! Just leave us alone...

I... I'll get the doctors... I'm sorry...

I'm sorry...

Song










Darkness...

Nothingness...

Emptiness...

There was nothing, I could see nothing, smell nothing, feel nothing... But I could hear... Something... Faint and indistinct but something... I searched and searched for the source of the sound moving excruciatingly slowly through the darkness. Was I crawling? Walking? Floating? Trotting? I couldn't tell, didn't matter. Only the sound...

Time was a foreign concept, days, weeks, months, years...? Far in the distance I finally saw something, a faint glow, an infinitesimal pinprick of light...

Another eternity and I finally came upon it, it was faint, barely distinguishable from the darkness surrounding it a strange symbol that looked like this. It glowed very lightly purple, I had no idea what it was...

But it felt important... Important to me...? Me... Who am I? What am I? Where...? I had no idea. The symbol pulsed lightly, a strange thrumming sound like a crystal bowl tapped gently...

So I stayed there. I had nowhere else to go, and here I could see something though nothing of what I might be, and hear the clear and pure sound though I did not understand it...

And I began to... Feel. Something, a warmth... Comforting but faint and tinged with something... Grief... Sadness... Despair... Mine...? Or someone else...

I waited... Sometimes the symbol would dim even further and others it would brighten slightly the sound as well grew and shrank but the warmth stayed the same...

Something... Someone? Was trying... Searching... For me? Or something else here?

I tried to remember... To think... But there was nothing. At the lights brightest I almost... But then it was gone.

Time and again, hundreds, thousands...

Then suddenly a different sound... A crack! Deafeningly loud in the silence and suddenly the symbol grew brighter and brighter pushing back the darkness reveling... Me? Hands, arms, legs, feet, torso... A human form?! That’s what I was! What I am!

Rick... Dad... Daddy... Daddy! Star! Twilight! Scootaloo!

I remembered as the light pulsed once more blindingly pulling me into it... Pulling me back...

I slowly opened my eyes, above me was a plain white roof. I couldn't look to either side nor move my neck or any other part of me holding my eyes open was a chore in itself... I could breathe but only barely like trying to draw a breath through a straw.

I could feel though, pinpricks of pain all throughout my body as if I hadn't moved for ages a cool fabric covering me and a warm spot on my chest...

I could feel my heart struggling to beat as if it too had been stalled for some time... Atop me I felt a twitch and a gasp as whatever it was moved around slightly for a moment then suddenly it was gone.

I realized now I could hear as well as I could hear little hoof beats galloping a short ways away from me and a hushed whisper...

"Mommy...?" Star!

Followed by a quiet grunt.

"Mommy... Mommy! I heard it! I did for real this time!"

"Star..." Twilight! "How long was I out...?"

"Not long... But I heard it Mommy! Daddy’s heart beat!"

Twilight sighed wearily as I tried in vain to move, to say something, anything! "Baby... I know you want to hear it... I want to hear it...! But every time... I'm trying, I'm trying so hard..." I heard her voice crack and it broke my heart hearing the anguish in her voice. "I've got to set up again Baby... Try something else... I... I..."

"I know Mommy... Daddy wouldn't give up either..."

I heard Twilight sob and the two of them embrace as I continued to try to do... Something! I could breathe slightly easier and even managed to blink once or twice...

"Okay Baby, I'll check but don't get your hopes too high ok?"

"Okay Mommy... Mommy...?"

Twilights hoof clicks towards me ceased. "What?"

"Your wings...?"

"My...?"

I heard a shuffling of hooves then a sudden clatter and warmth and pressure on my chest for a few moments then suddenly my vision was dominated by her face. She looked worn and tried bags under her eyes and those beautiful eyes slightly bloodshot but it was still the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

"Rick?! Rick!!!"

I blinked in response as it was all I could do. She stared at me a moment then collapsed on top of me crushing her mouth against mine kissing me hard and passionately.

"I... I was so..."

"Mommy...?"

"Come here Baby... You were right..." A moment later my sweet little baby’s face hovered over mine with a little smile. She looked bigger but I suppose it could just be the position I was in. She too looked tired and as if she had been doing a lot of crying, I wanted so badly to grab her and hold her, hold them both and Scootaloo too but I had to settle for blinking at her several times.

"Daddy!" She squealed hugging me tightly.

They both laid against me for a moment sobbing then Twilight cleared her throat,

"Gallop and get your sister Star, and the doctors and... And, anyone!"

"Okay!" She nuzzled against me a moment. "Love you Daddy!" And then she was off.

Twilight looked down at me a moment then shook her head levitating over a glass and straw. "You'll need lots of water but slowly... It’s been so long..."

She inserted the straw between my lips but I couldn't manage to draw any water through it so she took it between her own sucking up a straw full and then releasing it slowly and carefully between my lips. The cool liquid washed over my mouth and throat with each straw full I felt just that tiniest bit better. Finally I was able to draw a full breath of air and croaked out.

"What... Happened?"

Her eyes turned overcast and she turned her face away from me for a moment, turning back her eyes were filled with tears. "The spell... The ascension spell... The Princesses should have never...! No..." She leaned down and kissed me softly lying beside me and turning my head gently so I could see her. "I shouldn't have tried it without further study... Without knowing what it would do!!!"

I still didn't quite understand but I guessed the spell had backfired somehow affecting me maybe... I was glad it hadn't been her. I managed to slowly and painfully bring my arm around to caress and rest against the side of her face.

"But you’re ok?"

Her eyes flew open and she cried harder pressing herself against me as I held her as well as I could. "You don't understand! The spell... Worked."

"The spell... I remember you had just figured out the spell and disappeared... I was worried but something drew us all to the middle of town and before too long you reappeared with Princess Celestia... Something was different but before I could get a closer look there was a pain in my chest and... Everything just went black... Then there was nothing for a long, long time it felt like then I woke up here..."

She sniffed looking up at me the pain and anguish in her eyes clear. "You died... I killed you!"

"I... Died?"

"The spell... It was more powerful than the one binding us...! It superseded it! Broke it! It’s all my fault!"

She buried her head in my chest sobbing as I gently stroked her mane thinking a moment, remembering... "It didn't break it love, nothing can break it... Nothing can take me from you." I whispered in her ear.

"But..."

I stopped her with a soft kiss. "I remember now, even in the darkness... There was something... I could see it, hear it, feel the warmth against me..."

"You were in suspended animation! You shouldn't have been able to...!"

You know I would die for you love, a hundred, a thousand, a million times over! No more blame.

Rick...

She lay atop me as I gently stroked her mane and fondled her soft ears running my hands over her as we kissed softly and stared into each other’s eyes. Her heart was hammering a mile a minute as mine slowly was getting back into pace. That worried me but as she calmed down and I got stronger our hearts seemed to sync up again and I hoped for as long as I lived beating as one.

"That’s better." I sighed.

She smiled softly and snuggled against me. "I was so scared. Star screamed and suddenly I realized I couldn't feel you! I ran over but there was nothing I could do! I... I panicked grabbing you and everypony nearby teleporting us all to the Canterlot hospital! Normally I would never have been able to teleport so many even a fraction of that distance... But as an Alicorn..."

It clicked in my mind finally, ascension to Alicornhood... Practical godhood... I reached back feeling for her wings but only found two mats of fur that stood out a bit on her back easily soothed back down.

"Their gone now... I've tried so hard to get rid of them... Of it! This curse!"

"Twi! You gave up...? Immortality? For me?"

She smiled softly blushing a bit. "Even the Princesses don't live forever. I didn't want it! I don't need it! I don't care if we live only a year, as long as we're together..."

"You know all I want is for you to be happy love... All you could have done, accomplished...!"

She stopped me pressing her forehoof to my lips. "I could have what? And what about what I want? What good is an immortal life, or close to it if you’re not with me? What would you have done?"

"I wouldn't have rested a second until you were back by my side or I joined you in the hereafter." I answered without hesitation. "I love you so much Twilight, thank you."

"I love you!"

We kissed again and again not able to get enough of one another as we held each other close. I was beginning to feel much better as the pins and needles subsided and I could move my stiff joints and muscles more though I was still so weak.

"Is everyone here then?" I asked looking over towards the slightly ajar door expecting ponies to flood in at any time. "Scootaloo, the girls? What did you do?"

"Everyone was here... At first. But as time passed and I failed again and again... I got... Angry... At the Princesses, at my friends, at you... But especially at myself..."

"How long...?"

"Almost four months..."

Four months! No wonder Star looked bigger... Four months I missed out on with her... Four months she wasted here watching over me...! Despite everything else that bothered me more than anything.

"I tried to cancel the spell, to reassert the one that was on us! Anything and everything I could think of! The Princesses... They wanted to help... They both cast the spell of stasis on you... They tried to help but they didn't want to make things worse... I wanted you back right then! I... I may have drove them away..."

"I'm sure they understand."

"I hope so..." She smiled laughing lightly. "And Star... We couldn't keep her away, literally. Even if I carried her out of the room to try to get her some rest and food she would run back or teleport away from us! I was shocked, and worried she might hurt herself! So she’s been here all this time, laying on you mostly... She wouldn't give up, wouldn't let me... Scootaloo too but her I insisted she sleep at my parents... I didn't want them both here if... Something happened..."

"They’re both such stubborn fillies... Take after their mother."

"And their father..." She teased right back. "I tried and failed so many times I was beginning to lose hope... I didn't want to go on without you, but I didn't want to trap our daughters down here with me while I..."

I squeezed her tightly as she let out another sob. "I'm so sorry love, sorry you had to make that decision at all."

She sighed softly turning to kiss me again. "Alizarin has been bringing me books pretty much at random from the archives to help in any way he could..." Looking around the room now that I could I saw hundreds if not thousands of books strewn around the room. "Last night he brought me a very old one that showed a formula for transference of magic rather than cancelling or destroying it..."

"So what did you...?"

"There was only one pony that popped into my mind when I..."

She was interrupted suddenly as we could hear frantic galloping out in the hall and the door burst open.

"Twily! What did you do?!"

Shining Armor stood in the doorway panting, he too looked a bit bigger then I remembered and suddenly a pair of large white wings unfurled from his back flapping once lifting him slightly off the ground before he got them back under control and tucked back.

Twi gasped her eyes going wide. "It... It worked... Surprise..." She smiled sheepishly.

"Armor?"

"Rick?! Your awake thank Celestia!" He moved over to us still trying to awkwardly control his new wings. "Twilight?"

"I'm sorry! It was just another in a long line of things I'd tried! I didn't even know if it would work..."

"But why me? I'm not mad Twily, I'm confused..."

She sighed closing her eyes as I caressed her mane and neck. "Last night after you tried to convince me to get some rest again we had a long conversation, we'd had a similar one a long time ago when you tried to explain death to me after our cat died remember?"

"I remember..." He nodded.

"I didn't want to accept it then and even less last night, every point you brought up was valid I couldn't refute a single argument you made but my mind... My heart wouldn't give up, couldn't give up... Not yet, not until I had tried everything! So when I found the spell there..." She gestured to a nearby tome. "It was ancient magic strong but simple it explained the spell Transference... Magic moved from one thing to another but only one of the same thing and only once, pony to pony, inanimate object to another object and so on..."

"But you were an Alicorn not a pony..."

"I wasn't born one though, I was... I am still a pony inside, you were foremost... Well second most maybe in my mind as I intoned the spell... I didn't know what would happen really! I hoped... I had expended so much energy I was afraid, afraid to stop, afraid to go on but something... Clicked..."

"I was writing a letter to Cadence when out of nowhere I was surrounded by a corona of energy penetrating every part of me. I felt strong! My magic seemed to increase a hundredfold! But pain too as my body changed growing larger and these of course..." He unfurled his wings flapping a few times cautiously creating a breeze before tucking them back with a bit of difficulty and a small smile. "They’re going to take some getting used to..."

"You’re not mad at me?"

Armor pulled her into a tight hug. "Mad? You've given me a gift sis, Cadence and I... Well she's going to be very surprised... And you saved Rick, what’s to be mad about?"

"I do appreciate it..." I chuckled just then we heard a commotion in the hall galloping hooves and my little Angel and Star came bursting through the door followed by at least a dozen ponies who looked like doctors, nurses and maybe even a few medical students.

"Dad!"

"Daddy!"

Scootaloo scooped up her sister both of them flying across the room onto the bed and my embrace, I hugged them both as tightly as I could kissing them both again and again.

"I'm so glad you’re ok dad... I... I was so scared!" She tried to put on a brave face but she couldn't hold back the tears Star crying along with her as they clung to me.

"I'm so sorry girls... I never want to leave you, I'll fight my way back no matter what... You." I kissed Scootaloo. "You..." Same for Star. "And you..." Twilight. "Your all I need in this world, you’re my everything and I'm not giving that up..." I whispered.

"Daddy..." Star cried as I rubbed her chest gently her little hooves holding me so tight.

"Excuses me Sir Sparkle?"

The doctors still waited patiently the others I hadn’t noticed leave.

"Yes?"

"May we examine you? We hate to interrupt but... Honestly none of us expected you to ever recover! No offence." He added embarrassed.

I chuckled shifting Twilight and the girls slightly. "I understand, feel free I'm eager to recover. Try to make up for some lost time..." I squeezed all three of my girls as the doctor’s horns lit up scanning poking and prodding making notes on my reactions and my answers to their questions.

It took a good twenty minutes or so but finally they were done, they conferred amongst themselves before turning back to us. "Amazing, when first we examined you your heart had all but stopped your other organs following suit we couldn't imagine what was keeping you alive... That was when the Princesses put you in suspended animation slowing what little metabolism you had left to nearly nothing, just a temporary delay of the inevitable we thought but now... Well, I've never been more glad to be proven wrong, we have no idea how but your fine! Your organs are all working fine, even better than before! Granted we only saw them briefly and you still have to recover from long term stasis... Even now your whole system is resetting itself, your muscles will have suffered the most... But as I said everything looks extremely promising, we've taken enough of your time for now we’ll leave you to rest. Congratulations Sir Sparkle it's good to have you back."

"Thanks..." I didn't recognize any of the doctors though I had likely met them before long ago but apparently they recognized me, nevertheless I was glad to be given a somewhat clean bill of health. I relaxed back in bed even that short time of sitting up made my muscles ache and my head spin a bit. "I think I'm ready for a nap..." I murmured Twilight and Scootaloo laying on either side of me heads resting on my chest Star between them.

"I think we all could..." Twilight whispered looking up to kiss me softly levitating a sheet over us.

"I really have a letter to write to Cadence now, rest up and I'll see you all tomorrow." Armor smiled teleporting away.

We all cuddled close together warming each other I had no idea what time of day it was but the strain, stress and long sleepless nights were clear to see on each of their faces I watched them as they each fell asleep, I had made things tough for them. But tonight at least we all could sleep soundly...

Together...

Author's Note:

Once again we've reached the end my friends... But still another beginning.
I'll have to add the alternate universe tag for the following stories, maybe should have from the beginning... Oh well.
This year is done but there's more to come...
A lot more. Don't you scare me like that again! Though I...
None of that love, we're together that's all that matters.
Sigh... :twilightsmile:

I sincerely hope you've all enjoyed the story and I appreciate every comment you've left. Hope to see you all in the future...
Rick

Coming soon... Equestria Girls...?

Comments ( 52 )

Amazing ending to lead into another great beginning. Please keep up the amazing work.

6060982 Hey no worries man when and if you have the time. Don't worry about me.

actually i didnt like the end, well explained but now that aliTwilight is a thing, this end seems to... rushed and the attitude of Twi against her mentor and her friends... granted she almost lost someone loved but still pretty damn hard reaction

this story(s) is/are an amazing journey and im looking forward to more
i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/axlthehedgehog_2008/responses/WGm4N.gif




stayclassy:moustache:

Hm...Giving up that sort of power is a serious stuff...
How the hell is she going to deal with many of the Season 4 and 5 stuff?

Tek
Tek #6 · Jun 6th, 2015 · · ·

Well its an interesting twist I grant you, but I kinda have to agree with
6061619

This will potentially make aspects of season 4 and 5 tilt a little. I can only imagine you took this route to potentially deal with the Tirek issue of him draining Twilight which could also affect the link and kill Rick. Of course by establish that here, it means you're pretty much obligated to now have the two of them avoid an encounter with him at all costs.

6060707 (Bows) I'll do my best.

6060779 Heh yeah my mind takes me in strange directions sometimes... I'll say. :twilightblush:

6061147 Sorry you didn't care for it, though its quite easy to lose control of yourself in a situation like that. And Twi does have a bit of a reputation for... Well excessive behavior in stressful situations... Hey! Sorry love.

6061364 Glad to have you along for the ride. :twilightsmile:

6061619 We'll see but I'll be there to help at least right?

6062127 It'll be tough to be sure but we will meet him... Not sure how that's going to go... :twilightoops:

6062214 *Head slowly turning, eyes glowing with power and in an echo-y voice, the words boomed* "We will see about that, indeed."

First things first... an alicorn is a pony... so that line is moot...

Secondly... that is an interesting way to get it sorted... I thought Rick was becoming a pony at first, maybe even an alicorn.

Oh well, onwards to year three!

6062214 I didnt say I dont care, its just that that end for me was kinda forced still a good story

Aww here I was hoping for an alicorn human. Well Twilight still has the ascension spell and Rick has magic. Twilight could work to ascend Rick and then follow herself.

Anyways, having Twilight become a alicorn was one of the best moments in the tv series for me. You could work it in as a goal to work forwards to in year 3.

Well I am looking forward to the sequel.

Dang.. does that mean Rick will turn Pony if he goes through the portal? Spike turned into a dog after all! :rainbowkiss:

So is it now Shining Armor vs Tirek for the AU S4 Finale?

Take a shot every time Twilight and Rick kiss and/or call each other 'love'.
You'll die of alcohol poisoning.

Hey Rick, are you currently working on the one in which you and Twilight go the Equestria Girls universe?

6116334 lol Too true, good thing I don't drink... :rainbowwild:

6119084 Indeed I am, it should be either later this week or perhaps the weekend. :twilightsmile: Well part one of it. hehe

6119237 My point is, tone down that stuff for future stories. We get it. They love each other. Doing all that too frequently causes those tender moments to lose weight and becoming as meaningless and non-important as the word "said". You don't want that.
Every time I read those moments in this story, I didn't go " Aww, look how much they love each other! " I just rolled my eyes and kept reading. Not a good thing.
Hopefully you take my words into consideration.

Hey Rick, your Living and Dying in Equestria fanfic series deserves it's own TV Tropes page, am I right?

6119359 That would be interesting, maybe someday... hehe

6119301 I did see your point. Hmm... I'll have to try to keep an eyes on it, I am a fan of showing my affection so naturally I write as such. But never the less thanks for the feedback, I do appreciate it. :twilightsmile:

Hey Rick, would you like it if I made a TV Tropes page for your fanfic series Living and Dying in Equestria?

6141646 Americans remove letters from some of their words, and I think that is an example of one of them.

Oh my god yes!!! There's a third one!!!!! I'm so fucking excited can't wait to read!!!!!

6119524
Well, I went and converted it to eBook formats again, as I said I would ^_~
Though I have to ask, what's up with Chapters 13 and 14? They are parts 1 and 2 respectively, but the chapter titles are different....You didn't do that with a later two parter, so I'm curious.

Well, on to the actual eBook business; Click To Get!

Speaking of that, could you drop me a line (if you think of it anyway) when/if you replace the Placeholder chapter with the real deal, so I can update the eBook (and you know, read it myself XD)?

Also, since you've only just started on Equestria girls I'm going to have to check up from time to time. It (naturally) takes you a while to finish writing these stories, so I'll just have to wait until you're done I suppose. Though MAYBE I'll read it in spurts >_>

6119524
Interlude, a Dream Built for Two would actually be nice, if the premise was expanded upon in a short story (say a half dozen chapters) of its own, if not a full length story. As if you don't have enough writing to do as it is XD

Spacecowboy
Moderator

Your resolution to the whole alicorn twilight bit was rather disappointing to say the least, you've been keeping things relatively close to canon, this is a massive deviation from what's been established. I was hoping for something slightly different from the show that had a nice punch to it, but in the end? Seemed pretty meh overall. I was expecting you'd have a nice twist for Rick and Twilight moving forward, but instead it was... dissatisfying. Not to mention that you've created a rift now between Twilight and just about everyone else, the deepest being with Celestia and perhaps even Luna. I think you made a mistake, personally, but it's your story. I don't see there being any point in you even trying to align canon anymore though, it's quite pointless to bring it up now since a few key events rely entirely on Twilight's OP alicorn status. So, yes, quite the disappointment.

The stories aren't bad for a blatant self insert, but the cheesiness factor and repetitiveness, coupled with the grammatical errors that crop up frequently make it a bit blah at times, skim worthy and good for reading occasionally, but nothing special or above average. You still have issues with their/there/they're to point out a more obvious one, and the cheesiness factor is their entire relationship, mostly how often they 'reaffirm their love for another' above all others. Using phrases too much cheapens the words, and they throw around the word love like it's going out of style. Just some food for thought.

6560027 I know right? Well any who. I would suggest you check out My Library!

Sunset on same level as Trixie? Kinda... doubt it. Well, Lauren Faust says that Trixie, like Sunset, studied at School for Gifted Unicorns, but according to comics Sunset clearly a level (or several) beyond her schoolmates. Back then she kinda feel like a more arrogant Twilight. It also look like Sunset have same potential to become an alicorn as Twilight, but failed to do so because of her arrogance and power hunger.

Are you gonna write Year 3 after Equestria Girls or during? Just wondering

6685675 I'll probably take a short break but yes it will be written after. :twilightsmile:

6685824 Alrighty. I'm really looking forward to it. This is my favorite HIE series!

6685867 Aww, thanks!
Thank you! :twilightsmile:

6687139 You deserve admiration for the great work u do man. Keep it up ^_^

Nice to see that there's a continuation. I was especially interested in this because this has Twilight being downgraded to a unicorn. I'm a BIG advocate for Twilight being turned back to a unicorn.

Ugh... Okay, I read it up to the point of "curse of immortality"... Hasbro pretty much stated that Twilight-alicorn not immortal.

6748425 Should have read one more line, exactly what Twi said. Ahh well, hope you enjoyed up to that point. :twilightsmile:

6748754
Meghan McCarthy has said that Twilight will not outlive her friends. So, also no on "alicorn long live". Celestia and Luna just... unique that way.
And I'm kinda like alicorn Twilight so I stop reading because of downgrade... Also there is way to much "sugar" for my taste. All this "I love you. No, I love you. No, I LOVE you so much" kinda become annoying after some time.

6749695 Fair enough, thanks for reading.

6873344 you are right now that I read through them again I realized my mistake, thank you

7148091 Thanks fam! Still killing those darn necrons?

7148369 *Smirks*
Those metalheads aren't even standing a chance

You've done an amazing job with the series, and I look forward to seeing more!

7148915 Thanks alot, your a commenting machine! And I love it. :twilightsmile:

7148915 Well... Equestria Girls? is next if you didn't notice. :pinkiehappy:

7150613 I had already finished it actually :rainbowlaugh:

7410272 Sadly no... He's had life problems and can't even find time to write his own story, so I'll probably have to make it myself eventually and run it by him.

Comment posted by Amethyst Blade deleted Jul 21st, 2016

I just want to say one thing. Cover picture kinda creepy. Maybe it about this whole purple light, or maybe it about hero's face. But it's creepy.

7514426 It's been said, focus on Twi and Angel. lol

Login or register to comment