• Published 2nd Feb 2014
  • 7,490 Views, 357 Comments

The Second Year; Gravidity - TwilightsmyMare



When your married to the most beautiful mare in Ponyville and have adoped the cuteist filly around things can't get better right? What? A foal? Wow... Taking place within season three this is Twilight, Scootaloo and I's continuing story

  • ...
38
 357
 7,490

Chapter 2 (The Empire)

Author's Note:

A bit dark still but with some fluffiness right? I hope you enjoy, I've been so lazy! I meant to reply to all of your comments (and I still will!) I'm such a procrastinator! Take care all!

I watched the girls for a moment with a small smile though my mind still raced from what Luna had told me, I got up and cleared my throat.

"Rick! Well when did you show up sugar?"

"Just popped in." I grinned as they gathered around.

"So what’s goin on? All we got was a letter from Princess Celestia shortly after you an Twi left askin us to come and meet you both here!"

"Indeed darling, I had to make sure my parents would pick up Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle from school... I do hope she won't be scarred for life..."

We all laughed as Spike and Twilight rounded the corner walking up the stairs to the platform.

"How'd it go?!"

"I hope everything’s ok..."

"What’s all this about Twilight!?"

"Yes darling tell us."

"Are we going to celebrate your awesome super high grade with Princess Celestia?!" Pinkie asked pulling out her party cannon from... Well I had no idea where she had it hidden.

"Not exactly... We're going to the Crystal Empire!"

Just her mention of it and the excited way she told me Princess Celestia hadn’t told her much, my heart had leapt into my throat and I took a moment to catch my breath while everyone was asking about the empire and filing into the train. I looked up and found Twi standing in front of looking up at me with concern.

What is it?

Nothing love... I knelt down to kiss her and hold her tightly. I'm just glad to see you.

Rick...

Later... Really. Tell me all about this test, how did it go? And what’s this about a Crystal empire? I asked trying to be nonchalant.

Hmm...

We entered after the girls sitting to the side by ourselves for the moment.

You know I'll worm it out of you eventually...

I know love, its not important right now. I hated lying to her but I had made my promise and I intended to keep it.

Ok... It wasn't the usual type of test, Princess Celestia wants me to go and find out what’s happening in the Crystal Empire... An evil king lived and ruled there once but when he was defeated he cursed the entire empire to disappear! No pony knows where they went but after a thousand years it has returned and she’s put her faith in me... I hope I don't let her down...

Ha. You know I have nothing but faith in you, our friends, your parents... We're all here for you.

She smiled brightly leaning over to kiss me. Thank you, I love you... Um... But you can't help me. Princess Celestia said I have to find the solution on my own...

Then we'll support you however we can, I'll protect you love, protect Starswirl... I rubbed her belly gently.

I know it. Now what’s this I hear about you and Princess Luna going off to be alone together...?

Damn you Spike! Oh... Nothing serious... I tried to think fast. She seemed a bit moody or upset when I saw her leaving the palace so I was talking to her, trying to cheer her up and I... Kind of let it slip that we wanted her to be a Godmother...

Rick! We were going to tell her together!

I know, I know... I'm sorry, she was very touched though and we went off to talk about it. She wanted to know all it entailed and to give me this... I pulled out the dagger in its sheath to show her.

Is that...

The same, they made it a bit bigger and this sheath it can't cut through. I think it’s a fitting symbol of my Knighthood. A small beginning but in the future... Who knows?

Definitely. She snuggled up against me and I put my arms around her as the train began to move.

I'm so excited! What will we find, discover in the Crystal Empire?! Aren't you?

Of course Twi... Of course...

It was a long trip giving Twilight and the girls plenty of time to talk for her to explain and me plenty of time to my own thoughts and worries. I still chipped in with a comment here and there keeping social, trying not to let anything show.

After the first night the temperature began to drop as the fields, forests and plains of Equestria gave way to scrub and tundra. I got more and more anxious as we got closer it was a good thing the others were there to keep Twi distracted otherwise she would have saw through me in a minute.

Finally late in the afternoon on the third day we pulled up to a small station as we exited the train we found ourselves in the midst of a blizzard, we saw it from inside naturally but when you step out into it you really aren't prepared.

Rarity quickly pulled out a scarf from the large array of bags she had brought and Spike laboured under without complaint.

"Maybe we should..." Twilight began as she turned back towards the train car only to have the train pull away immediately heading back the way it came as fast as it could. "I guess not..."

"Twily!" Came a call through the blowing snow as Shining Armor appeared a scarf wound around his neck and mouth and a pair of ilgaak or snow goggles on to protect him from snow blindness.

"Shining Armor!" Twilight rushed over to give her brother a hug.

"Good to see you but let’s go... There are things out here we don't want to run into a night."

"W... What kind of things...?" Fluttershy squeaked.

Armor led us onward quickly. "We need to hurry; something keeps trying to get in! We think it's the Unicorn that..."

Suddenly behind us came a loud trumpeting cry half scream and growl.

"That’s one of the things isn't it?!" Fluttershy screamed.

"Just go, go!" He shouted scooping Spike out from under his luggage pile and tossing him ahead.

The girls all began galloping Twilight pushing Spike onto her back with Armor and I following closely behind. I spared a glance behind us as I ran and through the driving snow I could see a large billowing cloud of darkness powering its way through the storm drawing ever closer.

"It's catching up bro!" I gasped.

"We've got to slow it down..." He ground to a halt turning to face it and I followed suit my hand going instinctively to my dagger. Magic blade or not that’s not going to do any good I thought, as I racked my brain for a useful spell the smoke billowed up before us seeming to chuckle as a face formed looking down at us.

A dark pony’s face, he wore a cruel grin his horn was slightly bent upwards and its tip colored blood red. His eyes were the most disturbing though just as Luna had described red and sickly green with a strange purple vapour coming off them.

"I'll hit em high you hit em low." Armor started things off launching a couple magical bolts at the shadowy form. The first he bobbed his head out of the way and it passed through the rest of him ineffectively, the second he simply ignored and it too passed through ineffective.

I was beginning to think turning him into a shadow with the power of Dark magic might have been a big mistake... Well they did what they had to.

With energy passing straight through him I tried to think of what would be effective. Wind was my first thought looking at his smoky form but as he was withstanding the raging blizzard and the best I could do was a cooling breeze that wasn't going to work... Light!

I summoned a small globe of pure light levitating it before us. The effect was immediate, Sombra... I was sure it must be him hissed and recoiled away from it.

"Nice one!"

Sombra growled his horn glowed slightly and he seemed to shrink as a tendril of darkness snaked forth enveloping and crushing the sphere out of existence.

"Horseapples...!"

"Crap...!"

Sombra wasted no time and surged forward his shadowy darkness threatening to envelop us, Armor quickly raised his shield and I backed it up as well as I could with one of my own. They held... But only for a moment, they shattered in unison and his smoky darkness slammed into us hurling us backwards end over end. Our wild ride came to an end as we passed through an opaque shield and landed in a field of... Grass?

"Rick! Brother!" Twilight was there in an instant helping me sit up then looking over her brother. Strange black crystals were stuck into or growing out of his horn restricting his magic. I tried my own and found it too wouldn't work, pulling up my shirt we saw a small collection of those same crystals on my chest embedded in my skin around and through Twilights mark on me.

"Does it hurt?" She asked gently rubbing her forehoof against it.

I was worried that it might have been an attempt to corrupt us with Dark magic but I couldn't feel any influence... I hoped it was simply a way for him to counter our magic. He seemed to have difficulty using his magic in his new form, or maybe that was just wishful thinking on my part.

"It's ok love." She helped me up and we turned to find the others staring into the distance, and they had reason to. Luna had done it justice in her description but to see it firsthand was... Amazing. Neither clouds, storm nor snow. The sun shone brightly above just beginning to dip towards the horizon and before us were fields, wildflowers and crystal formations. And in the distance...

A huge glittering palace every bit as beautiful as Canterlot just very different. The spires, towers even the whole city shone and glimmered.

It was amazing; it almost, almost made me forget why we came... What I knew happened here. We made our way into the city towards the palace. Twilight and the girls were all excited looking around at the amazing architecture but all I noticed was the streets were bare not a pony to be seen. I managed to catch a few glimpses though, ponies peering out through curtained windows or cracked doors.

The palace was even more impressive up close, Rarity looked ready to faint.

"It's gorgeous! Absolutely beautiful! It's... I... I just can't...!"

"Comon Rare we're here to help Twilight not look at the scenery..."

Dash shrugged with a nonchalant look. "Looks like any other old castle we've seen..."

"Wha...?! You’re joking... Have you even seen...?”

Everyone chuckled at Rarity’s confusion as Dash grinned.

"Very funny."

The palaces beauty inside matched its exterior, everything was well lit warm and clean but even here something felt wrong... While I had seen a few signs of life outside in here it was completely deserted our hoofclicks and footfalls echoed down the halls.

Before too long Armor led us into the throne room and there awaited Cadence her head down but her horn aglow.

"Cadence!" Twilight galloped over her appearance seemed to energise Cadence as she jumped off the throne.

"Sunshine, sunshine ladybugs awake! Clap your hooves and do a little shake!"

They giggled together a moment until a... Ripple seemed to echo through the air as if something had just slammed against the shield but made no sound.

Cadence grimaced and as quickly as I had noticed it was gone.

"It's so good to see you all, I just wish it were under better circumstances..." She smiled wanly. Seeing the blank looks all around other then Armor and I she quickly realized none of the others knew what was going on. "I... I just mean there so much to do; we won't have time to visit."

"Princess Celestia sent me to find out what happened, find a way to protect the empire... But if whatever is out there can't get in it must already be protected!"

Shining Armor stepped up to his wife letting her lean against him. "Cadence has been using her magic to spread love and light and that seems to be able to keep him out... But she hasn't slept and hardly eats, she can't keep this up."

"I'm fine really..." She countered trying to stand tall but her exhaustion was written in her face and she quickly leaned back against him.

"She's not fine! My protection spell fully powered was less effective but it still was giving Cadence a chance to rest but now..." He rubbed his horn. "Sombra has countered mine... With us both so busy since we've gotten here we haven't had a chance to meet or even talk to any of the crystal ponies..."

"There’s crystal ponies!?" Rarity burst out unable to contain her excitement. "Oh... Pardon me, please continue..."

Twilight thought a moment before her face lit up. "A research paper! That must be part of my test! I love research papers!"

"Yeah... Who doesn't?" Dash asked sarcastically.

"Ooh... Ooh! Is it Spike?! Rick?! No, no wait! It’s me!" Pinkie burst out.

Armor shook his head with a slight smile looking over to his wife. "Whatever it takes Twily, please hurry..."

"Don't worry big brother I'm really good at this kind of thing."

We all split up to go our separate ways at the entrance of the palace hoping to question as many of the crystal ponies as we could. Spike went with Twilight and I went on my own, I had some specific questions to ask and I didn't want to get Twi too curious.

I found a small home near the outskirts of the city where I had seen a few curious ponies peeking out. As well there were a few of the crystal ponies out and about walking slowly mostly in pairs looking unsure of their surroundings, they all avoided me though and I couldn't blame them for that.

I tapped gently on the front door of the home I selected and after about a minute of waiting patiently the door cracked open and a pale blue / green eye peered out at me.

"Y... Yes?" Her voice was very soft with a musical quality to it.

I tried to smile as warmly as I could keeping my distance from the door. "I think you might have seen us coming in earlier, we're here to help. I just wanted to ask you some questions about the empire..."

"That... Seems reasonable..." Not surprisingly she still sounded unsure.

"We can do it right here I'll stay back here and..."

She opened the door slightly with a small headshake I could see her minty green and dark blue mane through the crack. "No, that would be rude... Please come in and I'll make some tea."

"If you’re sure..."

She moved away the door halfway open as invitation. I opened the door the rest of the way entering and revealing a small hallway, I just caught a glimpse of her tail as it swept around the corner it too was minty green and blue. "Please make yourself comfortable, I'll be right there."

I closed the door and made my way down the hallway, I could hear sounds from the kitchen and to the left I found a small and cozy living room. I took a seat on the fair sized couch there running over the questions I would ask when I felt a small tug on my hand. Surprised I looked down to find a small filly half hidden behind the side of the couch.

"Are you a monster?" She whispered. I could only assume her coloring came from her father because she looked nothing like her mother... Or who I assumed was her mother. She had a light grey coat and a bright pink mane and tail, even a bit brighter then Pinkies as well as a pair of big green eyes.

I leaned down with a smile to the cute little filly. "A monster? No I'm a human, probably the only one around. I don't mean you any harm though..."

"You better not!" I looked up again surprised to find a small colt balanced on the back of the couch looking equally ready to fight or run at the same time.

I held up my hands in surrender. "With a big brother like you watching over her I better watch my step!"

"That’s right...!" He smiled proudly hopping down to sit by his sister who had crept out into the open. He too had a slightly darker grey coat but his mother’s dark blue mane and tail his eyes were a dark brown.

"Hi..." The little filly squeaked hiding again but this time behind her brother making me grin.

"My name is... Starsing..." She whispered.

That made me smile again immediately thinking of Twilight and my own Starswirl.

"That’s a very pretty name." I complimented causing her to blush and hide again.

"And I'm... Brutal! Brutal Domination!" Her brother laughed flexing and showing off. His sister gave him a strange look rolling her eyes and leaning slightly closer to me.

"Um... No, his name is Aegis..."

"My idea was better." He grumped sitting back down.

"Here we are... Kids! I said to keep hidden until I said it was safe!" She was a very pretty pony but like everything in the empire something seemed wrong, it had been less obvious with the kids but she just didn't seem... Crystaly, her colors were dull and muted. Not what I had expected but I really didn't know. Luna’s description had made them seem more vibrant.

"Aww its ok mom, he didn't even try to eat us,"

"He said my name was pretty..." Starsing whispered hiding behind her mother’s legs now.

She blushed slightly pulling a tray off her back and placing it on the table in front of me. "Very sorry about them..."

"Don't be, their both adorable... I mean adorable and fierce!" I amended for Aegis causing him to grin.

"Thank you." She poured two cups of tea then sat across from still wary.

"Thank you... I'm Rick by the way." I began then taking a sip; the tea was unfamiliar to me but quite good.

"Oh...! My name is Marble Quill and this is my son Aegis and daughter Starsing."

"We told him already mom." Aegis rolled his eyes slightly stretching up and trying to reach the plate of cookies on the tray.

She nosed over two warning him. "Ones for your sister..."

"Fine."

He gave one to her then grabbed his own climbing easily up on the couch beside me.

"Now Aegis... You shouldn't..."

"It's your couch, really plenty of room for..." I was interrupted as I felt a push on my leg, looking down I found little Starsing trying to climb up the couch using my leg as a brace. It was so cute I couldn't help but smile, without really thinking I reached down and lifted her up with one hand gently depositing her beside me where she sat happily nibbling on her cookie. I wasn't really sure what they would feel like, rougher, cooler to the touch mayhap like the gemstones they were named for but Starsing was as soft and warm as any filly.

When I looked back over I found Marble looking at me wide eyed, I hoped she hadn't thought I would harm her children but I couldn't really blame her if she had.

She smiled warmly suddenly with a nod. "You’re quite good with them..."

"Well... I have a daughter of my own and another on the way..." The thought that I had a daughter, someone who depended on me not to mention a baby, a foal soon to born hit me like a kick in the chest every time it snuck up on me.

"Congratulations, their a trial and a blessing."

"Is your husband at home or...?" I asked looking around.

Her face fell tears welling up which she quickly blinked away. "He... He was 'asked' to go with the guards for... Questioning... It... Was just the other day but it seems like so much longer..." she shook her head forcing a smile. "But he'll be home soon! I'm sure of it."

"Those guards from that mean King..."

"Aegis! Shh... We don't talk like that!"

"Sombra..." I growled quietly.

"You... You know our... The king?"

"No, not personally. He’s not your king anymore, he’s been gone a long... Time."

"Gone...? But it was just..."

I held up my hand to stop her. "Sorry, it’s a long story. Princess Cad... I mean Princess Mi Amore Cadenza will surely want to talk to you all, after we deal with... Well once we make things safe... And your husband will be home soon, I'll find him myself." I just hoped I wasn't lying.

"You'll really bring my dad home?"

"Really? Daddy!"

They both pressed up against me looking up hopefully.

I'll do my best." I answered giving them both a pat on the back as I got up.

"Wait...! What about your questions?!"

"They can wait; my friends and wife are going around asking as well. This is more important." I nodded to her with a smile as I headed to the door.

She caught up to me just as I was about to exit. "If... If he’s..."

"I'll bring him home, any way I can."

"Thank you..."

"I'll see you two later ok? Be good." I called out to Aegis and Starsing who were peering around the corner as I left.

I oriented myself and headed straight towards the palace, it seemed likely I would find the dungeons there and if not Armor might be able to help me. when I arrived I decided to forgo searching first and headed straight to the throne room. Inside Cadence rested on the throne her horn still alight while Armor watched over her.

They both looked up as I rushed in. "What is it?!"

I walked up and shook my head. "Sorry. No big breakthrough from me. You ok Cadence?"

She smiled wanly nodding her head slightly.

"I was wondering if there was a dungeon or prison, something like that in the palace?"

They both thought for a moment. "Nooo... Ah! On the outskirts of town I recall seeing a building that didn't quite fit in on one of my patrols, to the west. What’s this about?" Armor asked.

"I don't know how much Princess Celestia or Luna might have told you... But there are likely Crystal ponies imprisoned there. Political prisoners I guess..."

"I see... How horrible. Go then, free them and thank you Rick..." Cadence whispered tiredly.

I knelt down before her taking one of her forehooves in my hand and kissing it. "Stay strong Cadence. For every pony here, for you and Armor but mostly for Shimmer and Prism. I know you can do it." I smiled taking my leave.

I exited the palace and started out when a voice rang from above. "Rick..."

I looked up to see Armor on the balcony pointing off to the side. "That way." He grinned.

"Thanks man!" I jogged along keeping as eye out, there seemed to be more activity around the city as if they had accepted our presence or mayhap the absence of guards to oppress them... I thought I saw Dash zooming past above a few times not to mention a pink and black shadow leaping from rooftop to rooftop... Pinkie...

I came to the edge of the city and maybe a block away from the outskirts was a squat stone building. Not very large but it certainly looked solid and had no windows. I approached trying the door and was surprised when it swung open easily. Inside it looked like nothing more then a typical guard’s barracks, armor and weapon racks all empty as well as four beds and two storage rooms.

I searched through the storage rooms first hoping to find... Well, anything! Spare uniforms... I tossed each of the beds hoping for... I still didn't know, a diary, some orders but nothing. I paced back and forth across the room trying to think of where else they might have kept prisoners...

Tap, tap, thud, thud...

Tap, tap, thud, thud...

What the...? A section of the floor felt different... Seemed to echo... Nothing looked different to my eyes plain crystal / stone all across but... I paced out and measured a section of the floor, looked like it could be a fair sized trapdoor of some sort. But how to open it...

I looked around for the most likely culprits; a lever would have been nice but no dice. Loose books of a mechanism on a chair leg, pushable piece of rock, torch scion... Nothing. I sat down on one of the beds trying to think... The beds!
They looked to be strong and sturdy but made out of simple wood I lifted one up a bit then another, the third one I tried only went up an inch then there was a click and that section of floor tipped up slightly then slid down into a holding area in the floor. How they hell did Sombra set all this up in less then a week...?! Hmm... The other option I suppose is that it had been here for some time used by rulers past... That wasn't really any better.

There were stairs leading down into darkness, I tried to summon a ball of light failing as I remembered I couldn't... I unhitched one of the lamps and lit it up carefully making my way into the darkness. I had to duck a little the angle of the stairs would be perfect for ponies but for me it was a bit uncomfortable.

The roof evened out thankfully when I reached the bottom and there was a door fortunately it wasn't locked, I cracked it open into another dark room but this one was occupied I quickly found. Another barracks with four beds but each of them was occupied... Sort of. The four crystal ponies in the room had been in total darkness but didn't react when I brought the light in, they were in various stages of dress one had his helmet on and nothing else another his hoofcovers and another his armor the last was fully armored staring straight ahead.

I waved my hand in front of their eyes but they were blank, the crystals... The ones Luna had told me about still were embedded in their flesh even more so then mine and Armors. When I touched one of them I drew my hand back immediately, he was cold and lifeless but he still drew breath, I forced myself to touch him again and I could feel his heart beating still. They were... Waiting? Cut off from Sombra did they have no will, no life of their own? I quietly backed towards the other door in the room; I hoped we could do something for them...

I backed into the and opened it still keeping my eyes on the frozen guards until the moment I closed the door, I admit I was more then a little freaked out. With the door close I breathed a small sigh of relief turning to see what other horrors I might find. Immediately to my left and right were small cells barely enough room for a pony to turn around in with nothing but a hole in the ground for a toilet. The cell doors were solid and thick barred with a slightly raised slit at the bottom I assumed for food and water to be pushed through.

These first two cells were empty as well as the few I could see beyond them but they stretched as far as I could see by the lamplight. I began walking slowly checking thoroughly, as I found nothing again and again I began to get worried when I heard something... Faint but in the distance coughing and a whispered conversation.

I rushed down the line finally coming to the end and another door but just before it the four cells were occupied. Just as I came up I managed to hear the end of the conversation... "Shh, their coming..."

The light revealed four crystal ponies they all shielded their eyes as I looked them over. All four of them were stallions the first very robust easily equal to Big Mac in size with a coal black coat and a surprisingly bright yellow mane and tail. The next was a slighter stallion and it was he who was coughing, he had a dark purple coat and a white mane and tail. The next two were adjacent to one another and I had to blink a few times and shake my head as they appeared identical. They both had cream colored coats and orange and black manes and tails.

They all started talking at once as I stopped.

"What do you want!?"

"You can't keep us here!"

"We need food and water!"

The other just coughed, even without examining him I could tell he needed to get out of here to a doctor. Damn this block, I could help him myself if only! I can still help him I realized; just have to get them out of here. They were all blinking away tears as I realized they must have been down here for awhile. I quickly moved the lantern behind me to shield them from some of the glare putting it down and tugging on one of the doors as I explained.

"I'm here to get you out, I'm not with Sombra."

With the dimmer light they seemed to recover somewhat peering out at me, the robust black stallion spoke up first recoiling from me.

"What are you? Another trick to get us to confess?!"

"Hang on there Bulwark..." One of the twins leaned closer squinting at me looking me in the eye. "I think he’s sincere..."

"You always try to give every pony the benefit of the doubt bro! Or whatever this thing is..."

"And how often am I right?" He shot back.

His brother sighed. "Almost always... Fine, what’s going on? Where are the guards?"

"There’s too much to explain right now... And it’s really not my place to. To sum it up Sombra is gone and you’re free... Past that things get complicated... Ugh! How do you open these damn doors?! There’s not even a keyhole?!"

Bulwark the black stallion looked at me curiously. "These cells are keyed to the guard, when they want them to open they simply concentrate and the door opens..."

I thought on that a moment. "Unfortunately their in no shape for that..."

He looked at me cautiously with a raised eyebrow. "Did you..."

"No... Nothing like that, its all part of the complicated bit... I'll just have to cut through!"

He let out a laugh. "Ha! They might just look like plain stone to you but they were fused by some of our finest stoneshapers."

I pulled out my dagger and tapped one of the bars with the hilt making a clear ringing noise like metal on metal. "They certainly are sturdy..."

"You have to be kidding! That little blade can't..."

He stopped and his jaw dropped as I slid the blade between the bars and to the door bolt. To his surprise and mine there was practically no resistance and it cut through with ease. I knew what it was capable of but still I had expected some resistance! I nearly dropped the blade in surprise but thankfully I was unable to. I mentally thanked Princess Celestia and Luna for their gift.

"Who... Who in Tarterus are you?!" Bulwark whispered as his cell door opened.

"Just a friend. Names Rick, royal knight of Equestria..." I added with a slight grin, the title still seemed like a bad joke... Me? A knight?

"Equestria? Princess Celestia and Luna...?" They gasped together.

"The same." I answered cutting through the twin’s locks one after the other.

"But... Sombra said he sent them away... That we'd never see them again!"

"That might have been his plan, but it’s not how things worked out..."

"So their here?!"

"No... Again still complicated, their niece will explain when she can. Princess Mi Amore Cadenza..."

I cut the last lock and helped up the slight stallion. He managed to croak out a "Thank you..." Before breaking out in another coughing fit, when he looked up at me though I saw a familiar pair of brown eyes.

I smiled and helped him down the hall following the twins and Bulwark who had the lantern balanced on his back. "Aegis and Starsing need their dad back..."

He gasped starting off another coughing fit but he removed from it quickly. "How do you...?"

"I met them earlier, they told me you'd been taken and my search led me here..."

"Their alright then?"

"The both of them and your wife. We'll get you to them as soon as we can... Wait. What’s past that last door? Are there more prisoners?"

"No...! No prisoner who ever went through that door ever came back... Just their screams..." Bulwark broke in looking back with a haunted look in his eyes.

I squeezed up to the front with the coughing stallion taking the lamp from Bulwark. "This... May be disturbing..."

"What do you mean?"

"Tell us!" The twins echoed.

"Just... Be ready and stay clam."

I opened the door and the light revealed the guards still in the same positions. Staring at them a moment one of the twins blanched barely keeping himself from throwing up; once he recovered the two of them supported the sick stallion making their way through the room to the far door.

Bulwark stood silently staring at the guards, I moved up and was about to speak when he beat me to it.

"I knew them..."

"You...?"

He sighed. "I was a captain of the old guard... Sombra replaced all of us old commanders when he took power. Maybe he did me a favour..." He turned to look at me his face solemn. "I've done a lot of things I'm not proud of... For King and empire I told myself... When I was replaced, tossed aside you would think I would be angry? Hell no, I finally felt free... I was selfish, the things I've done... I saw Sombra and at first I had hope, faith in him and the Princess’s... But things started to get bad, crackdowns, arrests... Rumours of torture and enslavement... So quickly... But I kept out of it, 'Not my business anymore...'"

He sighed again moving across the room to the door. "Took some ponies I cared about going missing for me to realize it wasn't going to get better, wasn't going to go away. I never did find them... For all the good I did, made it halfway to the palace before they took me down... My own comrades! Twisted by him... No idea what I was trying to do but... I just wanted to do... Something." He turned saluting the guards. "My comrades lost... Our empire... All for nothing."

"It’s not lost yet. They still live; I hope we can help them. But first things first, let’s get out of here."

He shook his head following me up the stairs. "Optimist eh? Well you got us out of here and that’s something... That’s a start."

We got out and exited the building they all looked better even in the suns dying light as we started towards Marble Quills house.

"I didn't get your names by the way, other then yours Bulwark. I'm Rick if you didn't hear before."

"Sorry... My name is Frolicking Smoke." He replied his cough seemed a bit better now out of the cold, damp and confining dungeon.

"He’s a fancy dancer for some of those really boring performances all over the empire even at the palace sometimes!" One of the twins leaned close with a grin.

"Just because you find them boring bro... Sorry, my names Jackpot Storm." He sighed as his brother sidled up with a wide grin. "And this is my highly irritating and thinks he’s oh so funny brother Jackpot Gambit... Some ponies call us JS and JG but please don't..."

"Ah common bro! It’s all in fun! We're so alike it helps ponies tell us apart!"

"Alike?! I could hardly imagine two more different ponies..."

"I mean physically." Jackpot Gambit chuckled.

"Oh... Right, fine! You were right this time... Knucklehead." He grinned affectionately at his brother.

Now that we were outside and I could see them better I had a chance to check out their cutie marks. Bulwarks I could have almost guessed a shield but not just any shield a tower shield strong and impenetrable.

Frolicking Smoke's was interesting what appeared to be a pony composed of smoke in the motions of dance... Made sense.

Jackpot Storm's was more difficult to understand a gathering of clouds tinged slightly with golden light.

And Jackpot Gambit's... Two pairs of six sided dice, two double sixes and two snake eyes... Not sure what that represented, extreme luck and bad luck all rolled up into one?

We walked along together slowly as they looked around amazed I imagined at the lack of guards or any signs of Sombra’s rule. Perhaps they could even feel the light and love Cadence was spreading...

"So... what happens now?" Smoke asked.

"Well first we get you home to rest and recover then..."

"Rick!" Rainbow Dash soared down landing in front of us giving the crystal ponies a start. She looked at them strangely for a moment.

"Dash! Good to see you. What’s up?"

"We're all supposed to meet back at the palace remember? And you’re late." She added with a grin and a nudge of her forehoof.

"Sorry got a bit sidetracked and lost track of time..."

"Ok, see you there!" She took off with a speed I imagine few Pegasus could ever manage before I even had a chance to introduce her.

I turned back to the guys to find all four of them staring after her slack jawed.

I laughed out loud. "Yup, she’s pretty awesome I know."

"That..."

"Those wings..."

"Her mane... How..."

"Where..."

I had to laugh some more. "That was Rainbow Dash, one of my friends. We're all here to help so don’t be too confused if you see some other unfamiliar faces around."

"I've read... Heard the old stories... Earth ponies, Pegasus... Even the few Unicorns who used to live..."

"What my brother is trying to say is... She’s amazing! Beautiful! She's... Um, not single is she?" Gambit grinned.

I shook my head with a grin. "So far as I know, but cool your hooves there Romeo... Anyhow I better get going, you guys will see Smoke home right? I promised he'd get there..."

"You know it." Bulwark smiled.

"If you have any questions... I'm sure you do! They should be able to tell you something at the palace, just say I sent you and hopefully they'll be able to answer some of your questions. But best wait a bit... Things are still turbulent."

I shook each of their hooves and headed back towards the palace while they made their way towards Smokes house. I turned to watch their silhouettes for a moment wishing them well and raising my arm in farewell. Hopefully everything was going to turn out...

I got back to the palace just as the last of the days light was fading to find the girls and Spike all waiting Twilight galloped up throwing herself in my arms as we kissed passionately.

"Missed you..." She whispered.

"Same here love." I held her a moment longer before we reluctantly separated finding everyone watching us with smiles.

"So what did you find out?" Twi asked.

I nearly smacked my self in the head. All that time spent with the guys and I hadn't thought to ask them anything! I smiled sheepishly mentally reminding myself to tell Twi everything later. "Sorry, didn't learn a thing..."

"We all struck out sugar; only thing I found out was something about a royal library of some sort..."

"Isn't that great?!" Twi burst out.

"We were just on our way there Rick." Rarity smiled.

"Well then, what are we waiting for?"

"That would be you slowpoke..." Dash grinned sarcastically.

We all laughed and made our way through the city to a very large and impressive building.

We entered and all oohed and ahhed. Twilight was more then a little dazzled.

"I just... I don't even know what to... There are no words."

"Can I help you?" Came a voice to the side of us, an older crystal pony with her light red mane and tail done up in buns and a pair of spectacles balanced on her muzzle a chain keeping her from dropping them her cute mark was a rolled up scroll.

Two hopped forward eagerly. "We’re looking for a book!"

She waved her hoof towards the shelves. "We have plenty of those..."

"You do. You really, really do..." She squealed spinning around. It was so adorkable I couldn't help scooping her up and kissing her soundly.

"Ahem! No making out in the library!' She glared at us disapprovingly.

Applejack chuckled stepping forward. "We were lookin for a book explaining how the empire might have defended itself... Ya know, back in the day?"

"Yes... That would be most useful... I... Aha!"

Everyone looked to her eagerly waiting for her to point us in a direction... And then we waited some more...

"And that would be...?" Twilight asked cautiously.

"I... I'm not sure... I don't know if I actually work here..."

"No problem, I'm sure we can locate it on our own!'

I set her down and we started into the vast stacks of books.

"Let me know if you find anything!" The librarian called out as she wandered out the front door.

"I like her!" Pinkie proclaimed with a big grin.

Applejack smiled leaning over. "Seems their all a bit like that, some kinda collective amnesia or somethin..."

Odd... Bulwark and the others hadn't seemed too dazed nor Aegis and Starsing... Marble Quill might have been a bit... Perhaps some crystal ponies were more resistant to Sombra’s curse then others...?

We began to sort through the seemingly endless rows of books; they stretched the entire length of the building and easily sixty feet in the air! There were rolling ladders thankfully to make finding what you need easier but we were looking for something very specific... It was going to take some time.

We sorted and searched tossing and setting books aside, Midway through the night we were all slowing down even Pinkie. Another few hours and most of us were passed out, Spike asleep in a pile of books, Pinkie curled up in a ball her legs twitching occasionally, Rarity had found or somehow brought a pillow and embroidered bed sheet and was fast asleep, Fluttershy too was curled up but in a small fort made of books I guess it made her feel more secure so far away from home. Dash snored away perched up on top of one of the bookshelves I hoped she didn't move a lot in her sleep, Applejack was still on her hooves but her head hung down occasionally trying to raise like she was still trying to work, I was yawning constantly well and truly ready to sleep but I stumbled along until I found Twilight.

She was still levitating a steady stream of books by peering at each her hair and mane all in disarray, she too was yawning. Just looking at her made me smile, I knelt down pulling her into my embrace kissing her neck.

"You need rest love."

"But... We have to find it!"

"I know, but what if we're too tired and miss it? Just a few hours."

"Well... I guess a few hours couldn't hurt." She kissed me softly lowered down all the books and snuggled down with me and we drifted off quickly...

I hoped we would find something soon, we were running out of time…