• Published 2nd Feb 2014
  • 7,481 Views, 357 Comments

The Second Year; Gravidity - TwilightsmyMare



When your married to the most beautiful mare in Ponyville and have adoped the cuteist filly around things can't get better right? What? A foal? Wow... Taking place within season three this is Twilight, Scootaloo and I's continuing story

  • ...
38
 357
 7,481

Chapter 10 (I wonder, wonder, wonder who...)

Life goes on, love goes on. Scootaloo remained a bit resistant to her sister but we still included her in everything we could and thankfully Dash kept her distracted showing her tricks and flying tactics even just hanging out in the clouds honestly it made me a bit jealous... She and Dash were bonding nicely but all that, was about to change...

For as long as I'd know her Dash had idolized the Wonderbolts wanting, yearning to join them and live that life she felt was nothing but excitement and glamour with everyone screaming your name. Somehow I doubted it was all just that, I had done a bit of research and the training and conditioning to get into the Wonderbolts was extreme! I had no doubt she could handle it but there was a reason it was so tough. The Wonderbolts were for lack of a better term an elite force of the Equestrian army, normally they simply performed raising spirits while training themselves and new recruits in their off time but if duty called they had to be ready. I wasn't so sure Dash understood their complete duties though she had been idolizing them since she was young so... Either way, she was going to find out.

Her application had been accepted as we all had been so sure it would be with winning the best young fliers competition and everything else she'd done, it was a three month session to start with living and training at the camp weeding out those not capable or suited. We invited everyone over to our place for a small farewell party...

"Congratulations Dash! I knew you could do it..."

"Of course she could! Just look at her! I never had a doubt... Well, maybe a little one..."

"Thanks Rick, you too Pinkie. I just hope I don't let you all down..."

"Don't be silly darling; you've been striving toward this goal your whole life."

"It... It sounds dangerous... You will be careful won't you?"

"It's just training Fluttershy; I have wanted this for so long... But now that it's coming to it... Well, I'm a bit nervous..."

"You? I guess I can understand that. Reaching your goals, even ones you didn't even know you had can be a daunting thing..." Twilight smiled looking over at me Star snuggled in arms smiling and giggling as Pinkie played peek a boo with her. "But it's worth it, trust me."

"Thanks Twilight, I don't think I would have ever made it without you all. Encouraging me, believing in me, helping me be a better pony... Thanks guys..."

"Awww..." The six of them group hugged, I sat on the couch with Star, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom on either side of me cooing over her while my little Angel sat to the side grumpy about her sister, Dash leaving and probably a few other things.

"Come here Angel..."

"What..." She stomped over.

I picked her up putting her in my lap beside her sister who squealed happily as Scootaloo tried to ignore her. I ruffled her wild mane and kissed her on the cheek. "I know things have been a bit crazy lately with your sister..."

"Humph..."

"And now with Dash leaving, only for awhile though. But she'll have lots of new things to teach you when she comes home..."

"I guess..." Her ears perked up a little.

"And if Dash gets in... Well, when she gets in. You'll have someone in the Wonderbolts you know! And can continue to mentor you until you join..."

She sat up and looked at me her big purple eyes spilling a few tears oblivious to her sister chewing on a piece of her tail she had gotten a hold of. "You... You really think I could join the Wonderbolts someday...?"

I pulled her close removing her tail from Star's mouth as I held my two girls. "If you want to Angel, I know you can do whatever you set your mind to. And I'll do anything I can to help you..."

"Thanks Dad..."

I held up Star. "Give your sister a kiss and go congratulate Dash."

She reluctantly planted one on her sister’s nose smiling when she squealed happily then hopped off the couch with Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom to rush over and congratulate and probably ask Dash a thousand questions.

I sighed and adjusted the squirmy bundle in my lap tickling her and rubbing noses with her before giving her a kiss on the forehead. "You won't leave me will you baby...?" I whispered.

"Gah!" She smiled back waving her forehooves around.

She still didn't have quite enough co-ordination to gain her hooves but she really wanted to. Granted she was only a week old but a pony on Earth would be up and moving around on their own within an hour if not sooner, however that was due to thousands if not hundreds of thousands of years of being prey. Here at least as far as I knew that never happened thankfully.

Within another week according to our books and she would be galloping around like mad on her own and after about a month we would have to start watching out for magic surges as she discovered and slowly learned how to use her abilities. It was going to be a wild ride...
I was pulled back to the present as Star stretched out holding up her forehooves for hugs; she loved to cuddle and hated to be separated from Twilight or myself. That would change I was sure but for now it was nice, she loved her crib with it's soft poofy cloud mattress and beautiful mobile, she'd nap there but she wouldn't sleep there at night refusing to drop off until she was warm and secure between us in our bed. I guess we'd have to wean her off that eventually but for now... For now everything was amazing, surreal, everyday things making breakfast, dinner, supper anything... Everything seemed like a dream, just being with Twilight was amazing enough, throw in these two fillies and I'm the biggest pushover Dad ever...

"Bit for your thoughts..." Came a whisper in my ear as Twilight sat beside me leaning against me and nuzzling Star.

"Just thinking about us... This..." I gestured around. "Everything, I never knew how amazing it could all be. Married to someone I love so much it hurts a rough and tumble adorable daughter and the very light of my life a new foal..." I sighed leaning back holding her. "Not to mention friends and everything else, more then I could have ever asked for or dreamed of..."

"I know, thinking back before I even came to Ponyville I couldn't even comprehend all this... I'd read about marriage and children of course but... It's not the same, not by a long shot. When I came here and met my friends and everything started to change, it scared me at first but I opened up and grew to love it, finally saw what I had been missing... Then along you came, turning everything upside down and topsy turvy again. All my studying... Logical reasoning... Gone. Thank you." She giggled as we kissed.

"Thank you love. And you baby..." I tickled her zubbering her little belly. "Thank you for being our daughter..." I looked over to where Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom were gathered around Dash jumping about excitedly. "And thank you Angel for being a part of our lives..."

"Mmm..." Twilight stretched out against me levitating Star spinning her slowly around us as she squealed excitedly. "Do you think she can handle the training? We all know Rainbow Dash is tough but she's not great at following instructions, let alone orders!"

"If she wants it bad enough she'll adapt and I think she does. That reminds me... Hey Dash."

She pulled herself away from the Crusaders and the party for a moment coming over. "What’s up?"

"Did you tell your parents you got in yet?"

She blushed slightly looking a little embarrassed. "Not yet... I want to make sure I can make it through basic training before I say anything..."

"You'll do fine Rainbow, you know you will."

"Thanks Twilight, I'm confident but I don't want to go into this too cocky..."

"Really? You? I'm surprised by that Dash."

She punched me in the shoulder with a grin. "Thanks for nothing, seriously this is like the biggest opportunity I've ever gotten I don't want to jeopardise it for anything..."

"You’re going to be great Dashie! You'll wow em! You'll dazzle them! You’re amazing...! But you'll be gone for so long... You won't forget about us will you?" Pinkie bounced up excited but ended up morose by the time she finished.

"Forget about the best friends I've ever had? Ever will have?! No chance Pinkie."

"Whew that’s a relief..."

"However... I might get too famous to hang out with you anymore though..."

Pinkies look of complete shock and her dropped jaw were hilarious. "What?! But... But..."

The three of us burst out laughing as Dash grabbed Pinkie in a hug. "Pinkie, we're all best friends forever remember? We always will be what if you become a famous clown like Ponyacci? Will you forget about us?"

"Never!"

"Exactly..."

"Thanks Dashie... Ooh! Hi Star! It's your Auntie Pinkie... Or should that be Godmotherie...?"

"Auntie is fine to call yourself Pinkie, but you are her Godmother and you..." Twilight pointed to Dash with a smile. "And you, and you, and you." She giggled pointing to Rarity, Applejack and Fluttershy. "Has any filly ever been so lucky?"

I gave her a squeeze. "Nope I don't think so."

We all laughed and Star looked at us strangely before giggling herself then letting out a tiny adorable yawn.

"Oh, looks like someone might be ready for a little nap. I'll take her up love."

"Alright, call me if she's hungry."

"Will do." I carried the now heavy lidded foal up to her crib laying her on the super soft mattress; she was still fighting her sleepiness trying to keep her eyes open. I leaned down giving her a soft kiss as I gently rubbed her chest and as she had done the first time and every time after her little forehooves closed around my hand squeezing and holding it tight making me grin like a fool.

I sang to her quietly, a song Fluttershy had taught me. Never failed to ease her into sleep...

Hush now, quiet now, it's time to lay your sleepy head.

Hush now, quiet now, it's time to go to bed...

Hush now, quiet now, it's time to lay sleepy head.

I said, Hush now, Quiet now, it is time to go to bed...

Drifting off to sleep, leave the day behind you.

Drifting off to sleep, let the joy of dreamland find you...

Hush now, quiet now, time to lay your sleepy head.

I said hush now, quiet now; it's time to go to bed...

By the time I finished I had to wipe a few tears away but she was asleep. I pulled my hand away careful not to disturb her and with one last look and smile I headed back downstairs. I always kept my ears open but Twilight could always hear her wake up before me.

Everyone had moved away from the stairs so they wouldn't disturb Star and were involved in a game of pin the tail on the pony, Twilight had the tail levitated in front of her and stumbled forward to plant it on the cut outs nose to everyone’s great amusement,

We played some games, listened to music and danced typical fun party things. Twilight and I were dancing together when her ear twitched. "Oop, feeding time." She smiled.

We excused ourselves heading upstairs, Star was waiting not yet fussy and when she saw us she smiled putting her forehooves up with a squeal wanting to be picked up. I scooped her up giving her a kiss while Twi got comfortable. She was a little ripe too so I laid her down letting her begin nursing as I grabbed a spare diaper, baby oil and talcum powder as well as a few damp cloths for cleaning.

She kicked a little as I cleaned her up but nothing we weren't used to, I got her new diaper on as she focused on feeding staring up at Twilight as she looked down at her misty eyed. I rubbed her side kissing her softly as I finished up.

"It's, it's just so... So... I can't even think of a way to explain it, this bond... Getting stronger everyday, I think I know how you feel now, about Scootaloo growing up so fast and Starswirl will do the same... Still, nothing we can't weather together..."

"That and anything else life throws at us love."

We kissed and heard an exasperated sigh from the stairs that made us both smile, looking over I could see a wild purple mane, a pair of adorable ears and big purple eyes watching us.

"What’s up Angel? Come over here."

"Nuttin... Just bored..." She shuffled over letting me lift her up between us.

"What’s wrong Honey?"

"Well... Rainbow Dash is going to be gone for three months! What if she forgets about me? What if she finds some other filly she likes better?! That she wants to mentor and be like a big sister too...?"

"Angel..." I forget three months can seem like a long time to a young filly or colt. "Dash is going to have a lot of information thrown at her, flight classes and training but she won't forget about you, from what you told us you two really got along well together..."

"Ya... But..."

"No butt’s young filly. Your Dad's right she won't forget us or you. One of these days when she gets back and your training together your going to surprise her, show her just how good you are and she and you are going to know how special having a sibling is... I just hope you and Starswirl will have that someday too..."

"I guess... I mean if Sweetie Belle and Rarity, Apple Bloom and Applejack... Maybe even me and Rainbow Dash... If they can be great sisters I can be too!"

"You sure can Angel, and you will be I have no doubt."

"Thanks Dad thanks Mom."

"Well lets rejoin the party, it's not everyday one of our friends goes to join the Wonderbolts!"

The four of us rejoined the party having a great time until late in the evening, Star was asleep on her mothers back and Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom were fighting to keep their heads up. Dash excused herself needing to get a good night’s sleep if she could before she headed to camp in the morning.

We all said our goodbyes wishing her the best as everyone headed home, I scooped up my sleepy little Angel and we tucked her in she nuzzled her sister once before drifting off. We cleaned up a bit before heading up to be ourselves.

"Should we try to put her in the crib tonight?" Twilight whispered.

"Sure..."

I laid her down covering her with a sheet both of us giving her a kiss before turning out the lights and getting undressed and following Twi into bed. We lay there face to face smiling.

"It was a nice party."

"It was, Dash is going to be a busy mare, but she can handle it."

"Definitely. Rick..."

"What?"

"Do you think I'm still pretty?"

"What?! What brought that up?"

"Well... I've still got some baby weight... And these stretch marks..." She covered her belly the marks barely visible under her fur even if you were looking for them. "I just don't feel... I don't know, maybe I'm just being silly..."

"Twilight..." I wrapped my arms around her pulling her close and kissing her passionately. "It's only been a week, you'll work off that weight or not it doesn't matter to me..." I caressed her body gently, she was still so soft yet firm her scent still made me dizzy. "Your so beautiful love I can't get enough of you... And as for your 'stretch marks', no... Beauty marks, the marks of a mare who bore my child, loves me, holds me, puts up with me..." I grinned.

"You..." She smiled nuzzling my neck. "I know we've been taking it easy so I could recover but..."

My lips found hers in the dark easily and hungrily, she didn't have to ask me twice. We pressed together with need and...

"Waaa!" Just one cry, she rarely let out more then one either because she didn't want to or because we responded too quickly.

"Mmm..." I pulled myself away from Twilight reluctantly with a parting kiss. "To be continued..."

She stretched with a smile and a little pout. "It better be..."

I got up and moved over to the crib carefully in the moonlight to find a bright beautiful pair of brown eyes staring up at me. "Hi baby."

She squealed putting her forehooves up letting me sweep her up and give her a kiss carrying her over to the bed. I sat her down by Twi getting back in bed and pulling the covers over us.

"Still don't want to sleep alone baby? Well I don't blame you there." Twi giggled nuzzling her.

Star lay against her mother my right hand entrapped in her forehooves again gently rubbing her chest as she quickly slipped back to sleep.

"Do you think it's normal for her only to want to sleep with us at night? I couldn't find anything specific about it in any of our books..."

"Relax love; we're really all she knows, you, me and Scootaloo. All the ponies she's been meeting, each one opens up her world a little more but for now... I'm happy to be her world with you and Angel."

"That was beautiful..." We kissed softly getting comfortable. "Goodnight, love you." She nuzzled Star gently. "Love you, sweet dreams..."

"Night Twi, love you. Sleep tight baby..."

Star led us off into sleep warm and cozy together.

The next week passed by quickly Star found her hooves and figured out what they were for, she still could only manage a crawl but she was getting so close! Scootaloo put on a brave face still going out with her friends but she clearly missed having Dash around and despite how we tried not to Star still got the lion’s share of attention around the house, her friends even and really any pony we met...

After dinner one night we sat in the living room Star crawling back and forth between us while Scootaloo sat to the side pretending to read with a disgruntled look.

"Come on baby you can do it..."

"Look at how strong you’re getting Star..."

She'd crawl from one of us to the other and we'd sweep her up giving her hugs, kisses and encouragement before she set out again. After a few trips she stopped about halfway between us I thought maybe she was getting tired. She sat back pushing herself up with her forehooves concentrating so adorably hard as she extended one of her back legs trying to keep balance then the other standing on her own! She took her first step Twilight and I watching proud and amazed...

But one step was all she got before her legs slipped out from under her and she fell, not a cry came from her though and before I could even get up to go to her she was back up trying again, she had her technique down and she was determined to succeed! She pushed herself up again and again each time making it a bit further until my little Angel felt a nudge and moved her book aside to find her sister standing before her smiling.

"Star... You... You walked...?"

"She sure did Honey, right to you."

She flapped her wings a few times a smile springing forth as she hopped up then moved a few feet away crouching down. "Come on sis! Come get me!"

Star squealed happily toddling forward after her while Twilight and I came together holding each other watching them smiling.

The beginning of a life long friendship.

It's so sweet...

For now...

Rick! But your probably right, Armor and I rarely fought but even siblings as close as Applejack and Apple Bloom have disagreements sometimes.

I certainly remember growing up with my three step sisters that we had many, many fights. But as we grew up none of that seemed to matter anymore, we grew out of it I guess... Anyhow they'll always have each other and us.

Absolutely...

A few more days passed Star getting more and more comfortable on her hooves and with Twilight and I and especially her big sister encouraging her I was pretty sure she would be off and galloping before too long.

No word from Dash though and while I could understand how she was probably being run... Or more likely flown off her hooves or wings she could be excused for not writing. Pinkie however...

She was fixated in front of her mailbox waiting and waiting concerned if she left for even a moment a letter might come and if she didn't send one back right away Dash would be heartbroken! Unlikely... But she was so convinced she was right...

"Pinkie, you can't just wait here all day every day!"

"Not all day Twilight, only during mail delivery hours... Wait! What if she gets it special delivered?! It could come at anytime! Your right Twilight I've got to wait here all day!"

"What?! But that’s not what I... Pinkie!"

I was laughing too hard to help, Star in her harness on my chest looked up at me then at Pinkie not understanding but giggled as well... I loved that little giggle...

"Ah'm sure she's just busy Pinkie..."

"Indeed, you know how intense the training must be."

"I guess..."

"I'm sure she would appreciate it if you wrote her..."

"But I did Fluttershy! Six times since she left!"

"That might be a bit much Pinkie..."

"I know Rick... I'm just worried... Wait! Maybe we could make a care package? One from us all, the she won't forget us! And she'll love all the nice stuff we send!"

"Well that’s not a bad idea Pinkie... I recon I could thinka somethin to send."

"Absolutely! Ooh, idea! I could make her the cutest Wonderbolts uniform anyone has ever seen!"

"I... I could send her a heartfelt congratulations..."

"Not a bad idea... I could send her a book on military etiquette!"

Oh Twi... Never change.

"Great! Wait...! What if the package gets lost?! What if it gets delivered to some other pony?! And then they become the next great Wonderbolt?!"

"Pinkie that seems pretty unlikely..." I chuckled.

She zipped right up to me face to face with a frantic look. "But it’s possible?!"

I sighed giving her a comforting hug. "Okay, possible. Really, really, really unlikely. But possible..."

"Well, we can fix that problem..." We all turned to look at Twilight. "It's simple; we just take the care package to her ourselves. We can take a balloon and Rick and I can easily cast the cloud walking spell on us all..."

"That’s a great idea Mom!"

"Sure is Twilight, I knew that big brain of yours would come in handy someday!"

"Gee... Thanks Pinkie..."

"It's a heck of an idea Twi, I'm game."

"I as well, it would be a thrill to see the Wonderbolts training camp."

"I... I guess if you’re sure we wouldn’t be intruding…”

"It'll be fine Fluttershy, lets all get ready then. Meet at the balloon rental place in an hour?"

"Okay!" Everyone agreed heading off to get a few things, we didn't need too much we had a baby bag all ready and Twilight grabbed a copy of the latest Daring Do book which had just recently arrived she was sure Dash hadn’t read it yet.

We got to the balloon rental place and looked through their balloons, they didn't have a huge selection but their largest looked like it had room for us all and then some which was good depending on how much the others brought...

Pinkie brought a dozen of Dash's favourite cupcakes and Applejack a small keg of cider. Fluttershy had a beautifully knit blanket for her and Rarity not having time to make a full costume had a very well made and surprisingly simple cape emblazoned with the Wonderbolts insignia.

"Here Dad."

"Hmm?" Looking down Scootaloo had my medallion and was passing it to me. "That’s yours Angel."

"Nu uh, you just let me wear it, but you should wear it today."

"She's right Rick, we're trying to make a good impression after all."

"Ok, ok. Thanks Angel."

I put it on and we set off, there was a bit of magic put in the balloon so it moved slowly but steadily towards Cloudsdale. Star stood on her mothers back staring out at the scenery so far below squealing and giggling happily as her sister flew out doing figure eights and pinwheels showing off what she'd learned from Dash.

It was quite a long trip and even with Twilight and I trying a few spells to speed us on our way and Fluttershys gentle pushes and Angels not so gentle pushing it still took us half of the day but finally we broke through the cloudbank revealing the far side of Cloudsdale where there was a large floating island that was the location of the Wonderbolts training camp. But Cloudsdale was what we saw first we had been there before of course but still, a massive floating city easily the size of Canterlot maybe even bigger! A thriving Pegasus city where nearly all of Equestria’s weather was created and controlled, beautiful clouds and... What the...?! A large tornado moving fast away from the training grounds right toward us!

"Ahhh!" Was the general consensus, Twilight and Scootaloo clutched me from either side Star was asleep in her harness on my chest. Feeling all three of them so close, their trust in me, relying on me... My mind was clear and I acted instantly and instinctively to protect those I loved. I focused all my magic in a single line ten feet tall and five deep of howling wind though only as thick as a finger and released it hurling toward the approaching tornado dead center. The energy required was immense and I would have fallen to my knees but for the filly and mare holding me up. I kept my eyes focused on the two forces hoping and praying my gambit would pay off, the line I had sent was driven by my magic and will it bisected most of the tornado disrupting its airflow critically interrupting and tearing away its shape and fury. Just that one moment was all it took, my spell collapsed but what little of the twister could not reform or maintain without the momentum it had and fell to pieces dispersing back into the air around it the only thing to reach us was a strong breeze...

Whew...

"Rick!"

"Was that...?"

"Did you...?"

"What the hay?!"

"What just happened...?"

"Relax everyone, it's ok..." I looked down to my sleepy Star, hadn't even stirred. I suddenly found myself clutched from all sides.

"Thank you darling!"

"Thanks Rick! Falling to my death is my fourteenth least favourite way to go!"

I was afraid to ask about the rest... I could feel Fluttershy still trembling holding onto me.

"You would have been ok Shy; you've got your wings."

"They... They don't work so well in stressful situations..."

"That was amazing Dad!"

"Wooow..." Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom echoed.

"Appreciate it pardner, that twister looked nasty."

"I... I froze..."

"No love, I just reacted first. I know you would have saved us."

"I don't know..."

I turned and kissed her with a grin. "I know. I could feel your magic building, me I just reacted..."

"Liar..." She smiled kissing me. "Thanks for trying to make me feel better; I'm so glad you did act..."

"Guys!"

Dash's yell came from over towards the training area, she was flying away from another Pegasus, she had a teal coat and two toned blonde mane and tail. They both looked upset but Dash forced a small smile as she flew over.

"Are you all ok?!"

"Sure Dash, we managed."

"Thank Celestia... I'm sorry... I... we'll talk later, let’s get you landed I've got to go deal with this..."

"But Dashie..."

She landed us on 'solid' ground and took off without another word, we all hoped out eager to stretch our legs after the long ride the cloud walking spells we'd cast would last the whole day so we didn't have to worry about that.

A few of the cadets and a squad leader? Sergeant? I couldn't tell, I should have read up on military insignias... They flew up as I saw Dash of to the side and the Pegasus she had been with arguing.

"Wow, are you all ok?" One of the cadets asked.

"This is restricted airspace! I ought to..." The squad leader barged in before we could answer but stopped suddenly looking at me strangely though I was pretty used to that. "I... I'm very sorry sir, Atten-hut! Knight on deck!" He snapped to attention saluting smartly the cadets following suit.

I smiled returning their salutes. "As you were, we're just here to see our friend Rainbow Dash..." I looked over to where she had been but now both mares were gone. "Well if it's alright with you can we wait for her here?"

"Of course... But, the Captain will want to see you though for a full account of what happened here."

"Fair enough..." I carefully removed Star from her harness giving her sleepy head a kiss before putting her on Twilights back and removing the harness. "I'll be right back everyone." I gave Twi a quick kiss and ruffled my Angels mane. "Maybe you can ask the cadets here a little about what their learning?"

"Can we?!" Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom excitedly asked.

"Sure, sure... Just mind the edges..." He nodded leading me off clearly still a bit confused about how we could even be here. He led me to the largest building on the island inside was a meeting area signs pointing off to the barracks and mess hall, up on the smaller second floor there were the officer barracks and another meeting room beyond that was an office that he led me up to the door shut.

"She must be in a meeting..."

"No problem, I'll just wait here then."

"Okay... Um, sir..." He saluted awkwardly backing away.

I saluted back leaning against the wall to wait I could hear a heated conversation from within."

"... If that’s what it takes to be a Wonderbolt count me out!"

"What are you saying...?"

"I quit!"

The door bust open and slammed shut a moment later as a distraught Dash marched out.

"Dash...?"

"Rick!"

"What did you...?"

"I don't want to talk about it right now... Your here to see the Captain... I mean Spitfire?"

"Yeah, I'm supposed to give my take on what happened outside I guess..."

"Right... Sorry again about that I... We'll talk later, the Cap... Spitfire is probably in a bad mood now too, sorry again..."

"I'll manage Dash, go see everyone we came here to see you after all."

"Ok!" She darted to the stairs looking back once with regret as I turned to knock at the door.

"Come." I opened the door to find Spitfire captain of the Wonderbolts and apparently in charge of the training camp as well, I'd never met her personally but being friends with Dash not to mention my Angel I'd heard plenty about her. "How dare you storm out of here cadet before I... Oh! What are you doing here?" She looked at me suspiciously smiling slightly and nodding when she spied my medallion. "I see... Well don't expect any special treatment here because of your rank."

"I wouldn't dream of it." I smiled saluting her.

She smiled back returning it. "So tell me what happened, I've heard Rainbow Dash's side of the story..."

"I hope you’re not going to accept her resignation?"

"She's an amazingly talented flyer but there are always some of those... She has something else... I'm not letting her go without a fight but the decision is ultimately hers..."

"I understand..." I explained the situation to her, how we came to visit Dash and the near disaster that followed. I kept it plain and simple trying not to make a big deal of it but her eyes narrowed when I mentioned the three young fillies and newborn foal in the basket with us.

"I'm glad you were able to diffuse the situation, if anyone had been hurt..." She sighed. "Honestly, I'm at a loss..."

"If you don't mind I'd like to hear about what’s gone on, if that’s possible..."

"Well... It couldn't hurt to have another option, and after all I've heard plenty about you Sir Sparkle..."

"Oh?"

"I do report directly to Princess Celestia after all and Princess Luna of course." She smirked. "Here’s what I know from my observations and hearing from my trainers..."

The situation was straightforward yet still complicated, out of their class Dash and this Lightning Dust were far and away the most promising cadets. The others had skills too naturally or they wouldn't even be here.

Rainbow Dash had a drive to win and honestly was a bit of a show off but also she had a thoughtful side to her and though she'd never admit it compassion for others and of course her strongest feature her unwavering loyalty...

Lightning Dust followed very closely along those lines but her drive to be the best overrode everything else, at first Spitfire thought her drive and skill was all she would need, she turned a blind eye to everything but the results. A mistake she admitted…

It was easy to see by the pile of paperwork on her desk and in her outbox that she took on a lot in this job, you can't be everywhere and I told her as such.

Dust and Dash kept impressing her though as a team they seemed unstoppable and she hadn’t heard any complaints, a few comments from her instructors about their being a bit of a hazard to the other cadets during some of the training but no major injuries and it was important for the cadets to get a few knocks here and there.

So it comes down to it, let Dash go and lose an extremely promising recruit? She wasn't willing to do that and she knew Dash was in the right. And Lightning Dust had broken regulations nearly causing harm to civilians in her quest to be the best, expulsion would be necessary...

"Now wait..." I interrupted; we had been going back and forth for about an hour going over the details. "This mare Lightning Dust has promise didn't you say?"

"Of course! She's highly skilled but..."

"It would be a waste to turn her away, she made some mistakes we all do but with some direct instruction and guidance from... You? No, you’re far too busy. Dash? No, she's likely to harbour some resentment for her coming to you..."

"I know just the pony..." She interrupted. "She'll still have to be punished of course, stripped of her rank but I think this will work out for the best... Thank you for helping me think of it."

"Glad to be of assistance, who did you have in mind? If I may ask?"

She smirked. "Soarin." She chuckled at my questioning look. "Don't let his reputation confuse you, he does play the none too bright flying ace quite well doesn't he? An act, which I know we can keep between us..."

"Yes of course."

"His calm and insightful nature will be just what Lightning Dust needs... And naturally he is one of the best flyers in the Wonderbolts he will be an excellent influence on her. He won't thank me for the assignment but he does owe me more then a few."

"And Dash?"

"Rainbow Dash... Well, come along and you'll see..."

We exited her office and made our way down to where everyone was waiting, there was a small group of cadets and a few instructors surrounding them Lightning Dust was standing aside an annoyed look on her face I imagine Dash had given her a bit of a telling off... The crowd parted slightly and a little foal came galloping my way, she was a little unsteady on the soft ground but I swept her up before she could fall.

"Heya baby missed you..." I whispered giving her a kiss and hug.

"And who's this?"

"Oh, sorry Captain..."

"Just Spitfire is fine Sir Sparkle..."

"Then it's just Rick please, this is Twilight and I's daughter, Starswirl."

"Really? I'm heard some rumours, intriguing... She's adorable." She smiled.

"And over there arguing with Dash right now is our adopted daughter Scootaloo..." I leaned over whispering. "Future Wonderbolt..." I grinned.

"We'll see about that." She smirked immediately getting serious as the crowd split seeing her approach. "Cadet Rainbow Dash! Front and center!"

Dash hesitated a moment but came over squaring herself before Spitfire. "Yes ma'am?"

"What you said in my office was correct; we always want to strive to be the best! But. Never at the expense of our fellow ponies, Pegasus, Unicorn or Earth! I want you all to understand that fully! Do you get me?!"

"Yes ma'am!" Everyone shot to attention.

"Lightning Dust! Front and center!"

She warily came up to stand by Dash. "Y... Yes ma'am...?"

"You are hereby relieved of your lead pony status. Your pips." She put out her forehoof and Dust removed them giving them to her, she immediately turned affixing them to Dash's uniform. "You Rainbow Dash didn't need to learn this lesson, you are no wingpony you are a lead pony! That is... If you’re willing to reconsider your resignation..."

Dash grinned widely then remembered herself sobered up saluting smartly. "Yes ma'am!"

"As you were cadet!"

Dash stepped back and was immediately surrounded by her friends and fellow cadets congratulating her.

"Lightning Dust."

"Ma'am...?"

"You and Rainbow Dash are no longer a team; you will receive your new orders in the morning."

"You mean... I... I can stay?"

Spitfires stony look softened a bit. "Your here to learn cadet, you've got promise but you have to bend sometimes. Or you'll break. Don't let me down again."

"Yes ma’am!"

"You may all consider yourselves at liberty for the rest of the day! Tomorrow we train twice as hard! Dismissed!"

"Yes ma’am!"

Spitfire nodded to me then flew off with a few of her officers leaving me momentarily alone with Dust.

"You... You were on that balloon... Who, what are you...?"

"No one important, just a human. Make the best of this second chance, there might not be a third..."

"Wait... Please, I'm sorry... I didn't know you and your family would be there, I was just trying..."

"To be the best? I've heard Dash say that a thousand times, but it's all how you go about it... No hard feelings right Star?"

"Gah!" She smiled snuggled in my arms.

"Thank you, sir." Dust smiled wanly backing away; she saluted then turned and left.

"Sooo... Pulling some strings for me were ya Rick?" Dash grinned leaning against me.

"Hardly, your own integrity spoke for itself. But I'm glad you reconsidered..."

"It's my dream... And even with the few problems it's been amazing!"

I walked back to the group with her. "Well we've got a few gifts for you why don't you check them out and tell us all about it, lead pony..."

Author's Note:

Slow going still but I'm getting more and more use of my arm day by day. Still a month or more to recover but I'll do the best I can. I hope your all doing well and as always any questions or comments are always welcome.