• Published 2nd Feb 2014
  • 7,482 Views, 357 Comments

The Second Year; Gravidity - TwilightsmyMare



When your married to the most beautiful mare in Ponyville and have adoped the cuteist filly around things can't get better right? What? A foal? Wow... Taking place within season three this is Twilight, Scootaloo and I's continuing story

  • ...
38
 357
 7,482

Chapter 7 (There are no Bad Seeds)

The next day passed quickly all three of us eager for the get together this evening, Rarity insisted she be allowed to host it at Carousel Boutique and had invited Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo as well so I imagined she had entertainment plans for everyone.

Later afternoon came Scootaloo had come home from school and zipped off just as quickly saying she'd meet us there. Twilight and I left the library in no real hurry walking side by side taking a moment or two to chat with the ponies we met, the sun began to slip towards the horizon and we could see some of the weather patrol ponies out arranging the clouds for a scheduled shower later this evening.

We approached Carousel Boutique and the lights were on and we could hear voices within clearly some of the others had beaten us here. I tapped on the door as Twilight balanced a tray of snacks we had prepared for our 'potluck' get together.

"Coming..." Rarity called out moments before the door opened and she smiled warmly at us. "So good to see you both, everyone’s gathering in the parlour please join them." She levitated the platter before her and disappeared into the kitchen.

We entered the parlour and were surprised by several hoof full’s of confetti throw on us. "Surprise baby shower!" Everyone called out including Rarity who must have rushed through the kitchen and around to be a part of the surprise. Everyone was there, Rarity, Pinkie with her bagful of confetti, Applejack, Dash and Fluttershy looking a bit morose but she put on a brave smile. Also Big Mac and Inkie and last but not least Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom but also Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon!

Twi started a moment before bursting into tears; I knelt down to hold her tight. "Thank you all I think is what we want to say..." I grinned. She nodded smiling through her tears then rushed forward to hug each of them including a bit flustered Big Mac.

"How...? When...?"

"Heck Twi we bin thinkin an plannin on this since ya first told us!"

"Very true, we had to keep things quiet. We only let the girls know today so they could get you a little something..."

"That’s not nec..."

"Please Twilight; you do so much for us. Let us do something for you for a change..." Fluttershy blushed at her own outburst.

"Ya come on Twi, it’s not everyday something like this happens!"

"Thank you Rainbow Dash, thank you everyone... I'm just so grateful..." She couldn't hold out any more and burst into happy tears again everyone smiling.

"Come and sit please, we all have gifts for you first then we'll have some dinner..."

There was a comfy seat set up for Twi with a chair beside for me, Scootaloo rushed up first wait a package held in her teeth she put it down in front of her.

"Me first, me first!"

"Honey you didn't have to..."

"Nu uh Mom! I wanted to!"

"Thank you... Ooh!"

"What?!"

Twilight smiled putting Scootaloo’s hoof on her belly, she held it there a moment confused then yanked it back. "Ahh! What was that?"

"See, Starswirls thanking you too..."

That set off everyone crowding around to feel the tiny kicks until they settled down then she levitated up the package opening it carefully revealing a soft warm blanket dark blue in color.

"It's beautiful honey... How did you afford this?"

"Well... I knew I wanted to get something for you so I've been saving some of my allowance every week..."

We both hugged her tightly between us. "I think I know a little filly who’s going to be a great pet owner this summer." I whispered.

"Really?!"

"For certain honey."

She sat between us happily as Sweetie Belle pushed up a large beautifully wrapped box. "I got this for you!" She squeaked excitedly.

Twi opened the box and levitated out a meticulously made mobile with stars modeled after her own cutie mark, moons and suns all amazingly hoof stitched and by Rarity’s proud look I could guess by whom.

"I had to promise to do a lot of chores to get it for you!" Rarity blushed slightly at that comment but I think by the amount of time she must have put into making it that she had intended for Sweetie Belle to give it all along.

"It's lovely, thank you Sweetie Belle."

"Mine's not as pretty as those two but I hope you'll like it anyhow..." Apple Bloom pushed forward a plainly wrapped brown package which Twilight opened with a smile. Inside were a dozen jars each individually labelled, Zap Apple, Golden Delicious, Carrots and Potato’s and more.

"It's baby food! Granny and I made it special for ya!"

"Thank you Apple Bloom and be sure to thank Granny Smith for us too."

"Ah will!"

Big Mac and Inkie stepped up next a large blanket covered form between them; they theatrically pulled the blanket back exposing a plain but beautifully carved crib.

"Big Mac! Did... Did you make this?" Twilight gasped.

"Eeyup... Well Inkie helped..."

"Ha... Held your tools you mean."

"Ya were my inspiration... For someday when we..." He blushed slightly with a smile.

Inkie gasped her eyes now filling with tears as she threw herself on him causing the rest of us to smile and 'Aww...'

Diamond Tiara stepped up looking a bit nervous and probably feeling a bit out of place, we both smiled warmly to her as she levitated over a small envelope. "You saved my life and I can't ever repay that, I know Dad and Mom won't let you pay for anything at the store so I got him to make up this..."

Twilight opened the card pulling out a small laminated card that simply read. 'The bearer of this card is entitled and encouraged to never pay at any location of Richs Barnyard Bargains.'

"Dad says as long as there’s a Barnyard Bargains in Ponyville or anywhere in Equestria you'll always be welcome and your children and their children!"

"Thank you Diamond Tiara, that’s very generous of you and your family."

She blushed and backed away as Silver Spoon stepped up looking even more nervous. "I... I don't know if you'd ever need anything like this but..."

She pushed over a small lacquered case Twi levitated it up opening it, inside was a small set of silver spoons clearly meant for baby feeding. "These are beautiful Silver Spoon..."

"They were mine when I was a foal..."

"Oh we couldn't..."

"Please, they don't get any use at my house... Mom and Dad just got them because of what they named me I think. I just want someone to use them, enjoy them... After all you saved my life too."

I smiled and gave her a hug. "Thank you, we will put them to good use."

Rarity stepped up next smiling and excited. "I made these for you both..."

She levitated us each a package and we opened them, for me she had made a chest harness perfect for carrying a sleeping foal leaving my hands free. Beautifully made and for Twilight one that strapped around her chest and could keep a foal secure on her back while she walked or worked, naturally they both matched.

"Thank you Rarity!" We both echoed each of us giving her a hug.

Fluttershy stepped up next pushing a good sized beautifully wrapped present in front of us. "I... I hope you like it..."

Twilight unwrapped it carefully revealing a small wash basin carved from a single piece of wood with animal and plants decorated all around it.

"Fluttershy this is amazing... Did you do this yourself?"

She nodded. "It took a long time, but I wanted something special for you both and the baby..."

We pulled her close hugging her tight. "This means a lot to us both Fluttershy thank you." I whispered.

She looked at Twilight blushing slightly. "Are we... Ok?"

"Of course we are Fluttershy! Don't you worry about it a second more."

"Thank you, and thank you Rick for sending the girls over to keep me company... It really helped."

"Me next!" Dash zipped up with a wide grin.

"Oh? Another 'Dash token'?" Twilight asked with a grin.

"No! I worked hard on this one... I mean... Just take it..." She groaned passing over a small sized box.

Twilight opened it and out spilled a small cloud! We both reached out to catch it and somehow we succeeded?! It was amazingly soft and fluffy but still surprisingly heavy, we both looked at Dash wide eyed. "Dash... How did you...?"

Her cocky grin returned and she giggled. "I knew you'd like it! Well, we all got together so no one would get gifts for you that were the same. So I knew Big Mac was making the crib and I thought what could be more comfortable for a new foal to sleep on but a cloud?! But only Pegasus can do that normally, but the idea was stuck in my head so I searched high and low for a way eventually I had to go tot he only pony I knew... Other then you Twilight, who might have an idea what I could do, my Dad... He understood right away what I was trying to do and before too long he had an idea. There’s a by product of cloud production called Alfven, its basically super dense cloud matter so dense even any of you could walk on it! But it’s really heavy so my Dad and I...

I could see and hear the excitement in her voice and the smile that crept onto her face every time she mentioned her Dad I was glad to see they had come together and bonded a bit over this.

"...We dragged out the size I thought I would need and we slung it between us, we had to thin it out! And the only way we could think of to do that was to fly! Fly as fast as we could with it stretched between us thinning it out just enough so it would still support a foal but not float away!"

"That’s incredible Dash, you and your father could go into business! Everyone would want a pillow or mattress like that!"

"Good idea Rick but it takes thousands and thousands of clouds to make even that much! Mostly they just use it as ballast storing it along with the water to keep Cloudsdale from floating too high, eventually it dissolves and becomes water again."

"It's wonderful Dash." Twilight exclaimed hugging it then pulling Dash over for a hug between the three of us.

"Great idea Rainbow Dash!"

"Thanks squirt..." She replied ruffling Scootaloo’s mane.

"Well I recon I'll go next then..." Applejack pushed over a large box with a grin. "Ah know this ain't exactly your kinda thing but ah spent many happy hour with it when ah was a foal..."

Intruded we quickly unwrapped the gift exposing a miniature barn filled with everything you could imagine there would be on a farmstead, chicken, pigs, cows, bales of hay, apple trees of course and even ponies... I hadn't ever seen any pictures of Applejack, Apple Bloom and Mac's parents but from the five small carved figures one red, orange, a dark yellow one and a tiny one a lighter yellow I could only assume the last two, a white mare and a brown stallion represented them... It must have been made before Apple Bloom was born I guessed.

"Mah daddy made it fer me an Mac, ya can always regift it to either of us if we ever..."

"Absolutely!" Twi gasped hugging Applejack tightly. "It belongs in your family, but if your willing to loan it for awhile..."

"We'll make sure Starswirl treats it well." I finished.

"Shucks I ain't worried..." She smiled her forehoof lingering on it a moment before she stepped back.

"My turn! My turn!" Pinkie bounced up excitedly tossing four boxes to us, two for Twilight, one for me and one for Scootaloo. "Open them! Open them!" She was practically vibrating in excitement and anticipation.

I opened mine and found a fine silver chain with a small charm on it in the shape of a rearing stallion with 'Daddy' etched into one side and 'Rick' into the other, Twilights charm a pregnant mare with 'Mommy' and 'Twilight' on the other side. Scootaloo's a Pegasus with wings spread 'Sister' and 'Scootaloo' naturally and last but not least a crib with 'Baby' and 'Starswirl'.

"Blinkie and Quartz made them for me! For you! For us?!" She smiled and shook her head. "Do you like them?!"

In response all three of us put our necklaces on pulling her close for a group hug.

"Thank you Pinkie their beautiful."

"Aww... Thanks Twilight! Sorry about it being a stallion Rick they really weren't sure how to make a human one look!"

"It's still great Pinkie, no worries..."

Twilight stood up a little teary eyed and leaned against me. "Thank you all so much! For this surprise... And the beautiful gifts..." She burst into happy tears again.

"Now, now darling. No need for tears, it's no less then you would do for any of us. Let’s all have something to eat, and I believe Fluttershy has something to tell us?" Fluttershy jumped slightly hiding behind her mane; she must have talked to Rarity after all...

We all got comfortable as Rarity and Sweetie Belle brought out the food brushing off any of our attempts to help, everyone had brought a little something and all put together it was a huge meal for us all. As we ate Fluttershy began telling everyone what happened in small dibs and dabs with some gentle encouragement from Rarity, Twilight and I. She left out some parts that were unsuitable for young fillies of course.

Everyone was shocked or angry some both but Fluttershy made very sure to tell everyone that she didn't want any of us treating Trixie badly if we happened to see her again or spreading any nasty rumours about her. It was her problem and she was dealing with it, I was proud of how she was handling everything.

We all promised, then Pinkie promised (some a bit reluctantly, Dash and surprisingly Inkie were the most outraged.) Then we tried to enjoy the rest of the meal talking and laughing together to drive away unhappy thoughts. After dinner the girls went out to play and the more... Sordid parts of Fluttershy’s story came out; to distract ourselves we played a few games. Some cards (a game called BS), cribbage and even Pictionary. Earth and Pegasus ponies being surprisingly good at drawing with their mouths, while Twilight and I didn't have a lot of artistic talent we could however cheat quite easily... But we didn't! Well... Just once to keep us from losing too badly, ten to nothing is bad but ten to one... A little better.

By the end of the night we all had a lot of fun and the issue with Trixie was... Forgotten? No. But for the moment everything was ok.

We made our way home all three of us tired but in a good way, I was carrying our sleepy little Angel as we walked Twilight levitating all the gifts behind us. We got home and tucked her in then sat on the couch to relax a moment looking over the beautiful and thoughtful gifts we had been given. Then I scooped her up and carried her up to bed, she was a little heavier to be sure but that was no deterrent to me.

We cuddled together under the sheets both of us yawning a bit.

"I'm so happy..."

"With the gifts?"

"With everything, our friends, our children, my husband..." We kissed softly in the dark rain just beginning to strike the windowpanes.

"Same here love... It's all so amazing, you’re so amazing..."

"I love you..."

"I love you..."

We drifted off the gentle patter of rain lulling us to sleep warm and content in each others embrace.

Spring break a time for fillies and colts to have some fun, and their parents to pray for school again... Well, maybe some parents... Also the time of another Ponyville, maybe all of Equestria tradition. The Harvest Parade, I was a little confused at first seemed more like something that should be done in the fall... But Twi explained in the fall everyone would be either harvesting or getting ready for the winter or both! Might as well enjoy it now while everything was fairly relaxed.

Scootaloo and her friends had a plan to make a float of their own for the parade like plenty of other ponies also they were excited to meet Apple Bloom's cousin from Manehattan Bab something or other... Twilight wasn't interested in making a float but was excited to see the parade, her belly had expanded even more quite visible now and she was still a bit self conscious about it. I helped her feel better about it any way I could... Usually by throwing her (gently) onto the bed and ravaging her.

I was taking a walk around town after checking the boarder looking at everyone’s floats in construction, some ponies were working in secret but most were out for all to see, I stopped here and there to lend a hand to any pony that needed some help.

Near the edge of town I came across an older home a little unicorn filly she had a blonde mane and tail and a light purple coat, she was stuffing flowers of all kinds onto a makeshift float while a familiar blonde and grey mare flew around it draping ribbon over it until she cut it a bit too close bumping the... Well I wasn't quite sure what they were trying to make...

"Oh no!" They cried out together as it started to tumble, I quickly caught it in a telekinetic field pushing it back into place, it was quite light and didn't seem to be fastened at all so I could see how it could fall over.

"What?" The blond Pegasus looked around confused then spotted me smiled and soared down. "Rick! Thanks for the help."

Convinced it wasn't just going to fall back over I released it and smiled to her. "Anytime Derpy..."

Hearing that the little filly stomped up her face screwed up in anger. "Dats not my Mama's name!"

"What...?"

"Dinky don't be rude!"

"But he's the one bein rude mama!"

"I don't understand..."

Derpy sighed and patted her daughter on the head. "Go gather some more flowers baby, but stay where I can see you ok?"

She gave me one last dirty look then galloped off. "Ok mama!"

"Sorry about that Rick, she’s very protective..."

"I can understand that but what did she mean? I wasn't trying to be rude what did I say?"

"Long story... My name is Ditzy Doo really..."

"Then how...?"

She put her forehoof up to stop me. "I'll get there, I've never been the straightest flyer and with my condition... I can see fine really it's just fast turns and stops throw me off balance... And admittedly I am a bit of a klutz at times..."

"Aren't we all?" I grinned.

"Well I don't know about that... At flight school I got teased... A lot, Fluttershy too but she was even shy to me! We never did get close, too bad... I got used to the teasing really but the nickname stuck... Derpy..."

"Why do peo... Ponies all call you that then?"

"I really hated it at first, but as I... I'm not sure, grew a thicker skin? It began to bother me less and less eventually I just took it as my own and they couldn't tease me with it any longer. Ponies who are my friends like Rainbow Dash and all the other mail ponies call me Derpy... But they don't use it like a taunt or tease like others used to back then, they laugh along with me when I accidentally knock something over! But once Dinky got old enough to understand and I told her a bit about my childhood... Well, she doesn't like it. I'm fine with it so don't worry please, my friend’s call me Derpy and I'd like to think your one of them..."

"I understand and I apologise, I'll try my best to call you Ditzy when she’s around. What does your husband think about it?"

"Husband...?" Her eyes turned overcast as looked over towards Dinky.

Damn opened my big mouth too soon again. "I'm sorry I shouldn't have..."

"It's ok... It was awhile ago, I was naive... I thought he cared for me not just looking for a roll in the hay..."

"Hmm..."

"It's not bad really; when he heard I was pregnant he left me some bits before he left. I guess he thought he owed me that much, never saw him again..." She sighed then smiled. "His loss, the bits didn't matter to me he gave me the best gift anyone ever could..." She gestured over towards Dinky.

"I can see that, I thought... Don't you have another daughter?"

She smiled looking over towards her house drawing my gaze over to catch a curtain falling back into place. "Sparkler... I lived in Hoofington at the time, after he left I was depressed, alone and confused. Hoofington is a nice city, a big city but... A lot of fillies and colts are on their own there... She was living on her own, on the street I saw her everyday on my way to work, she always had a hopeful smile even on the days I didn't have any spare bits for her, always happy to see me... I thought maybe it was just my appearance but she never seemed to treat me any differently, before too long I couldn't stand seeing her life that and brought her to live at my apartment. There were still many, many orphans out there but I thought if I could make a difference with just one!"

I reached out and squeezed her shoulder comfortingly.

"Thanks... But I couldn't help her there; I didn't make much money and could barely feed myself and my growing appetite besides paying the rent let alone the two of us! Eventually three! I searched and searched for a new job but for a mare like me... Well there wasn't a lot of opportunity, thankfully a co-worker of mine brought up the idea of rural and small town mail delivery. It didn't really pay all that much more but out here..." She took a deep breath smiling happily. "I found a job I love here and this old beautiful house the rent on it is a tiny fraction of what my old apartment was! Everyone here is so friendly too, even found my old friend Rainbow Dash! And a special somepony..."

"Oh?"

"Time Turner, he makes all the local watches, clocks and sand timers! He's so good to us! Well... He and Sparkler have a bit of love / hate relationship, she’s just moving into her teens and you know how it can be..."

"Right... I dread when Scootaloo gets there..."

She giggled adorably; I admit I had thought she was... Special. But she was just as smart and knowledgeable as any mare, once you got used to her eyes; well there was nothing wrong with that either. I was glad this Time Turner fellow could see that.

"Worried already and with one on the way too..."

"Well I just want the best for them..."

"I know how you feel, these two mean the world to me. Anyhow what brings you here?"

"Oh! I was just looking around town taking a sneak peek at everyone’s floats..."

"Well... Ours is a work in progress as you can see..." She giggled. "Sparkler actually came up with the idea and we decided to do it as a family but... Dinky won't listen to Sparkler and when I tried to get them to compromise Sparkler stomped off and locked herself in her room in a huff..."

I chuckled as Dinky galloped up depositing another random assortment of flowers and weeds before rushing off again.

"Such a cutie." I grinned.

"She is. Sparkler is a dear too. See this was her plan..."

She passed over a small workbook filled with drawings and poetry, clearly Sparkler was going through a bit of a 'Goth' phase as it was all dark and depressing stuff, beautifully drawn and written none the less. At the end of the booklet was a sketch of a float following the same motif I could see why Dinky didn't like it, might be a bit spooky for a little filly or she might just want to make trouble for her sister a little sibling rivalry...

"An... Interesting idea, how did you try to get them to compromise?"

"Oh, I just suggested we combine what they both wanted to do... That didn't go over too well..."

"I bet... Well how about this...?" I made a quick sketch of my own my poor drawing skills aside with my added explanation she quickly got the idea.

"That could work! But... I don't think I could make that... Even if I got them both to agree on it..."

"Well... Twi and I aren't making a float maybe we could help you out? I'll have to ask her of course but..."

"You'd do that for us? But what about your own daughter isn't she building a float too?"

"She and her friends yes, I offered but they already politely but firmly refused my help, they want to do it on their own..." I sighed. "They grow up so fast..."

"Don't I know it, well if you and Twilight want to help…? I'm ok with it, and thank you! Dinky come over here!"

She came rushing up sidling up to her mother. "What mama?"

"Rick and his wife Twilight might come to help us with our float, what do you think about that?"

She turned and looked at me suspiciously. "What my mama's name?"

I smiled warmly to her. "Ditzy Doo."

Her scowl immediately disappeared and was replaced with a big smile as she leapt onto my lap putting her forehooves on my chest. "Ok! Come on, follow me! Let me show you!" She grabbed my hand and dragged me off to the float enthusiastically showing me what she had done and what she wanted to do, pretty much the exact opposite of what her sister wanted but that was ok I had a plan... I just wasn't sure if it would work, hopefully Twi would be able to help me with that. Her organizational and planning skills would help a lot.

Dinky pulled me around for awhile I couldn't resist her cuteness and enthusiasm and I was sure to note down what she and Derp... I mean Ditzy wanted to do, maybe I'd get a chance to talk to Sparkler later... After awhile they headed in to make dinner I had politely declined to join them I had to get home to my own family.

Scootaloo was just putting the last plate on the table as I walked in. "Dad's home!" She squealed launching herself at me letting me catch and hug her.

"How did meeting Apple Bloom's cousin go?" Apple Bloom had been talking about little else fort he past week so naturally we heard about it plenty as well.

"After dinner you two come and eat."

I let my Angel down and swooped into the kitchen to put the food on the table for her banding down for a sweet kiss.

Got something to talk to you about later.

Oh?

We all sat down to a delicious but simple dinner, Twi wasn't a fancy cook but that didn't matter to me a bit. She could serve me bread and water and I would eat it with a smile. After dinner we relaxed on the couch together while Scootaloo told us all about their day with Apple Bloom's cousin Babs Seed, they'd show her all around Ponyville and to their clubhouse. She didn't have her cutiemark yet so they were sure she would want to join the Crusaders so they could help her get it!

I was going to warn her to be tactful but after everything she had gone through, all three of them I was sure they'd be careful. Apparently tomorrow they were going to show off their float to her and see if she wanted to ride on it with them in the parade!

We tucked her in and then cleaned up, I told her all about Ditzy, Dinky and Sparkler and their conflicting plans for their float. She listened to my ideas a small smile growing as she thought of ideas of her own soon she was pulling books on float construction and other things... I should have known better then to get her going; it was nearly midnight when we finally decided on a plan of action collapsing into bed together exhausted.

"Night love..."

"Love you, sleep tight..."

We drifted off grand designs and plans of floats in our dreams...

The next morning Scootaloo was up and off like a shot right after breakfast letting us know she'd be home for dinner, we smiled and got ready bringing books, some tools and a few snacks too. Heading to Ditzy's we stopped in a few places picking up items Twi figured we would need today, wire and rope (big seller this time of year), some fabrics and thread as well as paint, wood and nails too. We had quite a load by the time we got there.

Dinky ran up her eyes wide. "Woww... This is gonna be great! Mama! Mama! Sparkler come quick!"

Ditzy poked her head out and gasped ducking back in emerging moments later dragging a reluctant Sparkler with her, as they got closer I could hear their one sided conversation.

"Mooomm... I don't want to... Dinky ruined everything! And he's so weird I..." She glanced over our way and stopped suddenly staring a moment then rushing over to Twilight.

"M... Mrs Sparkle... I... Hi, I'm Sparkler... I used to come to the library all the time remember...?"

"Of course I remember you; I wondered why I hadn't seen you for quite awhile... And please call me Twilight."

"Oh... Thank you T… Twilight. The group of friends I've been hanging with aren't really into... Books..."

"Well that’s alright, but if your still into books you know you can stop by anytime."

"Thanks..." She blushed embarrassed stepping back giving me a good look at her, a teenage mare with a dark and light streaked violet mane and tail and a very light purple coat even lighter then Twi's, she had dark eye makeup on as well as numerous piercings in her ears and several rings on her horn.

Twilight pulled out a few books and we outlined to them what we thought would please both Dinky and Sparkler. Dinky wanted lots of flowers and bright colors while Sparkler of course wanted dark and depressing. We figured the simplest idea was probably the best, the front of the float would be all done up like Dinky wanted while separated by a veil and the back half would be done up as Sparkler wanted. Dinky and her Mom would ride in front and Sparkler in the back that way she wouldn't be the object of too much attention but she could still be seen and show off her float to her friends.

It might have been a simple idea but it would take a lot of work and a few days at least to accomplish, amazingly Dinky and Sparkler both liked the idea sitting close together going through the material we brought like sisters should.

We spent a while tearing down what they had done, pretty easily it only took a little push. We salvaged what we could and got busy first building a sturdy base and two six foot slender towers to hold the separating veil. By the time we finished that it was getting quite late so we headed home promising to return tomorrow.

We walked home side by side unburdened having left all the supplies in Ditzy's care.

"Sparkler seems to have taken a bit of a liking to you."

"She's a sweet filly; I hope she gets over this phase she's going through..."

"I think it might be a little more then that love..."

"What do you mean?"

"I think she might have a bit of a crush on you."

"What?! Me?"

I chuckled and gave her a squeeze. "What’s so strange about that?"

"Well... It's not the same..."

"No it probably isn't, but still be careful not to break her heart..." I teased.

"Rick! Honestly... She's probably just... Intimidated, yes that’s it... What she could see in me I don't..."

I scooped her up carefully kissing her. "Yes, what could she possibly see…? A beautiful, super intelligent, kind, generous, sweet..."

"Ok, ok...!"

"And sexy mare..." I grinned.

"Just because you see all that in me doesn't mean anyone else does... Your all I need, but if that’s really the case... Well, it is nice to be noticed..."

"Hmm... Careful love, I can get jealous too. I'll fight off any stallion or mare to keep you."

"No need for that..." She smiled nuzzling my neck. "But that’s nice to know too..."

We got home and made some dinner, I was looking forward to hearing how my Angels day had gone but she just sat quietly picking at her food. Twilight and I shared a concerned look before I cleared my throat and spoke up.

"How was your day Angel? You look a little down..."

She looked up startled for a moment before looking back down at her plate. "It's nothing..."

"Come on honey, you know we're here for you."

"It's just... Babs... When we were showing off our float to her... She... It fell over and broke."

"You’re all ok though?"

"No one got hurt Dad... I'm not hungry, can I be excused?"

"Of course..."

We both watched her go to her room concerned.

What do you think she's not telling us?

I'm not sure... Something, maybe Babs knocked it down accidently and their worried she might get in trouble, or they were showing off and wrecked it themselves...

Silly fillies, I'll check with them again tomorrow and see if they need some help... I'll keep helping Ditzy her girls and you of course.

I could handle it...

I know love; I just don't want you to push too hard.

Silly, I'll be careful.

I know but I still worry.

Love you.

Love you.

We cleaned up and got to bed early both of us tired from the days activities.

The next morning I offered to help the girls again to Scootaloo before she left but she brushed it off saying they weren't interested in making a float anymore and rushed off before I could ask her what was wrong. I'd find out eventually I guess...

We got some more work done on Dinky and Sparklers float, I had to head into town several times for the occasional item we either ran out of or one of us discovered me needed. Every time I caught glimpses here and there of Angel and her friends seemingly playing a large scale game of hide and seek around town with Apple Bloom's cousin Babs and two of the colts from the same class following at her hooves, Snips and Snails I think was their names...

Later in the day I was making what I hoped was my last trip into town when I spotted my little Angel on her own looking miserable heading for home. I was worried and followed her stopping outside the door to her room listening to her sobs; it broke my heart for her to be sad. I opened her door quietly and walked over kneeling down to rub her back.

"What’s wrong Angel? How can I fix things?"

Her response wasn't exactly what I expected she looked up at me angrily tears falling from her eyes. "You can't fix everything! You’re not my real Dad!"

That hit me hard; of course I knew I wasn't but... In my heart I really wished I was, I felt I was... I closed my eyes leaning back with a sigh, I wasn't mad at her. Something was upsetting her and she lashed out anyone would... I took a deep breath. "Scootaloo..." I stopped as I felt her clutch my arm, I opened my eyes to find her staring up at me with tear filled eyes.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry... Please, please... I didn't mean it! Don't send me away, don't make me leave... I'll never..."

I grabbed her and hugged her tightly to my chest before leaning back and wiping her tears away. "Scootaloo... Angel, my Angel... I would never send you away, I love you. Twilight loves you, when Starswirl is born he..."

"Or she..." She whispered with a small smile.

"Or she is going to love his or her big sister... I know I'm not your real Dad, he wasn't much of a father and maybe I try too hard to make up for it... I want to protect you, keep you safe with me your whole life but I can't... You'll be gone someday, so now while I can I try... I want to..." I couldn't help but leak some tears of my own, she leaned against me letting me hold her close and we comforted one another like that for a few minutes.

"I'm really, really sorry. I was mad about... Something else, I shouldn't have said that... You’re the only Dad I've ever really known..."

I squeezed her again kissing her forehead. "Thank you Angel, I'm proud to be your Dad... If something is bothering you... Tiara and Silver aren't picking on you again are they...?"

"No their both hiding at their homes... I mean, it has nothing to do with them... I..." She looked up at me with her big purple eyes unsure.

"You know it doesn't matter to me, no matter what it is I'll do what I can..."

"I know Dad. It's just..." She seemed to make up her mind favouring me with a little smile. "We can handle it, we'll be ok really. Dad...?"

"What is it Angel?"

"I love you too."

I held her tight trying to make all the bad feelings, bad things and problems, everything bad that every happened to her go away. "If things get any worse you'll come to me though ok?"

"Promise..."

"Ok then, want to come and see the float Mom and I are helping to build?"

"Sure!"

So we both headed to Ditzy's, Scootaloo riding happily on my shoulders she wouldn't be able to do that much longer already she was nearly too big but I still loved to have her there. She kept looking around as we walked though I didn't see anything so I didn't make a big deal about it.

We spent the last part of the day working on the float with Scootaloo helping, Ditzy insisted we all stay for supper and despite the occasional mishap in the kitchen she and Sparkler served up a wonderful dinner.

The festival was only one more day away so tomorrow we would put the finishing touches on the float and that wouldn't take long. Twilight and I had discussed at length what could be bothering Scootaloo but we both didn't want to push her either, we kept our eyes and ears open but kids can be surprisingly good at keeping things secret they don't want you to know...

About lunchtime the next day Ditzy's float finished and looking great if I said so myself I walked out to the Crusaders clubhouse with a little lunch for Scootaloo and a few snacks for the girls but I found the walkway knocked down and all the curtains drawn. Odd I thought as I knocked on the side of the staircase.

The door opened and a voice came out. "I thought I told you... Oh! Who are you?"

Out trotted a young school filly she looked to be the same age as the girls she had a dark pink mane with lighter steaks and a dark orange coat as well as a pair of bright green eyes, she was a bit bigger and more solidly built then my Angel with a glance I could see she had no cutie mark so I surmised this must be Babs.

"Who is it Boss... Rick!" Snips and Snails were right at her heels and recognised me right away.

"What’s a Rick?"

I chuckled lightly. "Nothing for you to worry about Babs, Snips, Snails good to see you. I was just looking for Scootaloo, is she around?"

Snips leaned over to Babs and whispered. "That’s her dad..."

"Oh! Yes... But not right now... We're, playing... Castle! This is the castle and Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and my cousin are the invaders. Their just out making plans and uh... Filling water balloons... After they attack we'll switch places, yeah... Sounds like fun right?"

"Hmm... Yes it sure does, well I was just bringing Scootaloo a little lunch and some snacks I'm sure they wouldn't mind you having some too. You'll give it to her when you see her?"

"Of course!"

I passed up the bundle and headed back towards town a little suspicious but it did sound like fun, hopefully they were all getting along...

Back in town I narrowly avoided getting barrelled over by Angel, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, they had her wagon all loaded up and we racing towards Sweet Apple Acres.

"Dad!"

"Hi Rick!" Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom echoed.

"Hey girls, off to make some siege weapons?"

Three blank stares.

"To assault the clubhouse? I was just there dropping off Scootaloo's lunch and Babs said you were playing castle..."

"My lunch!? Ooh she’s gonna get it... I mean, right! We're going to build something that will guarantee our victory!"

"That’s right!"

"Darn tootin!"

"I see... Well make sure not to play too rough..."

"We won't, um Dad? Can I sleep over at Sweetie Belles tonight? We changed our minds about the float and we're gonna work on it after we... Play castle, then we were going to go to Sweetie Belles."

"Well if it’s ok with your parents Sweetie Belle?"

"Y... Yes, no problem!"

"Well sure then, have a good time and I look forward to seeing your float tomorrow. You’re sure you don't need any help?"

"We're sure Dad thanks."

"Ok then." I knelt down to give her a quick hug and a kiss before she rushed off pulling her friends. Something was definitely up with those three but I couldn't quite put my finger on it... Well she promised to come to me if things got worse so I'd have to trust her...

I got home and spent the rest of the day with Twilight doing a little reading and some magic practice without Trixie coming around anymore she needed someone to practice with and I was more then happy to help out. We had a simple supper and sat together on the couch cuddling.

"I've never really noticed how quiet it is without Scootaloo here... I've always though of libraries as quiet places but... It just doesn't seem right here without her."

"I know what you mean love, well Babs is going back soon and I think that must be part of what’s bothering Angel. She seemed like a take charge kind of filly and Angel and her friends have always been more like a Triumvirate... What?"

She was looking up at me with a smile. "You know what it does to me when you get all insightful."

"Oh really...?" I scooped her up kissing her passionately and carrying her to bed where we made enough noise to make up for the silence Scootaloo left.

Sleep came easily entangled together warm and secure.

We both got up early getting ready for the parade finding ourselves a comfortable spot and were soon joined by Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. Pinkie Pie had a float in the parade as well so we couldn't wait to see that as well as the girls. We chatted as we waited discovering some... Interesting information.

"It was right nice of ya to have Apple Bloom over last night Twi an Rick she hasn't bin too keen on sharin her room with her cousin..."

"No, no Applejack. Sweetie Belle was staying with you last night? Wasn't she?" Rarity frowned thinking.

"And Scootaloo said they were staying at your parents place Rarity..." Twilight frowned as well.

"What could those fillies be up ta?"

"Well, we'll just have to find out after the parade..." Everyone nodded in agreement as the parade started float after float passing everyone had done a great job and put a lot of work into their creations. The Cake's had naturally a huge cake they rode on their twins scampering around on one of the layers, Bon Bon and Lyra had a candy themed float they both rode on waving, Lyra waved madly when she saw me and I waved back until I heard a disgruntled snort beside me and put my arm over her side instead. Ditzy, Dinky and Sparklers float came up and we cheered for them waving, Ditzy and Dinky riding up front lots of flowers and pretty colors and then as it passed we could see Sparkler and a couple of her friends riding on the back ignoring everyone although when she caught sight of Twilight she did wave a little. The back was done in up in black, deep grey and purple but Twilight did manage to sneak in some parts that shone and sparkled when the light hit them just right.

Next came a large golden apple right along the lines of what I might think Applejack would be showing off, Babs was driving and waving but I couldn't see any of the girls with her... She passed by and the girls came galloping up shortly after.

"I thought you would be riding with her?" I asked.

"Nah, we decided she deserved to ride alone."

"Ya we wanted her to be the center of attention..." Apple Bloom grinned all three of them giggling.

"So that’s what ya'll were doing instead of being where ya were supposed to be!"

"Oops..."

"Still its mighty nice of ya to let her ride it especially after all the trouble she’s been have'n in Manehattan."

"What kind of trouble?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Well I didn't want ta say anything so ya'll wouldn't overreact but it seems there’s been some bullies at her school that bin giving her a hard time cuz of her not having her mark yet..."

"What?!" All three of them squeaked.

"That’s why she came out ta visit to get away from all that, I'm so proud of you three for bein so sweet."

"That’s why she was so uncomfortable about us asking about it..."

"An why Snips an Snails came along she sided with them when they were teasin us..."

"And now we're the ones being mean to her! After we made her be mean in the first place!"

"What are we going to do?!"

"What exactly did you do...?" I asked trying to follow their conversation.

"Sorry Dad... We gotta go fix this!"

The three of them ran off jumping into Pinkie Pies lettuce float, (though why a pony like Pinkie Pie chose lettuce is beyond me.)

"I better go keep an eye on them..."

Twilight started to struggle to her hooves but I gestured her back down gently. "Its ok love..."

"This is starting to get a bit inconvenient..." She grumped.

I kissed her softly with a smile. "I know love but you’re so beautiful..." And I took off after the girls turning a corner just in time to witness the apple float bump them sending them off the road Pinkies float falling apart and the girls racing off again with me in pursuit, I had almost caught up to them when they reached a sharp turn but the apple kept going straight! I saw the girls dive in pushing Babs out the other side just as the float hit the guardrail breaking through; I dove and grabbed the rear bumper pulling with all my might to no avail as it pulled me over the ledge too! Thankfully it wasn't a cliff but a slope that led down to the river still the float began picking up speed and I could hear the girls screams from inside as I still tried to slow it without getting pulled straight off my feet.

I was about to try to teleport inside and grab the girls and teleport out (not easy or safe on a moving object.) When a familiar purple radiance surrounded the float and me and it slowed enough so the impact a moment later at the bottom of the slope only broke the wheels off and toppled the apple into the mud me along with it but gently enough that the girls all popped out and fell into the mud with me thankfully unharmed.

I gathered up all three of them hugging them all. "You three are in so much trouble..."

"Sorry..."

I sighed and struggled out of the mud with them back to the top of the hill where Twilight, Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Dash and Fluttershy were waiting with buckets of soapy water, Babs was there too standing aside looking confused she spoke up as we tried to wash off the mud.

"After I'd been so mean to ya... you saved me!"

"Sort of..." Scootaloo blushed.

"What do ya mean?"

"We're the ones who booby trapped the float..." Apple Bloom admitted.

"We were just trying to get back at you for being a bully to us but..." Sweetie Belle frowned.

"But then Applejack told us about how you were being bullied back in Manehattan..." Scootaloo continued.

"But then it was too late! Ah'm awful sorry cuz..."

"Us too..."

"I'm the one who’s sorry... I shouldn't have acted like those other fillies and colts who were mean to me and I dragged your other two friends along with me too..."

"Y'know, this all could've been avoided if y'all just came to me, or Rick any of yer parents in the beginnin..."

"That’s what I said!" Sweetie Belle squeaked.

"So can we start over? Seeing how you three stuck together through all this I know I want to be a Crusader like you..."

"You bet cuz..."

"Okay!"

"Yeah we all made some dumb mistakes..."

I finished rinsing her off and pulled her out of the small tub. "You did, but at least you fixed them Angel... And you’re grounded for a week..."

"Aww...!"

"But... It can wait until after Babs leaves..."

"Same goes for you youngin, but like Rick said..."

"And you young lady..."

"Okay..." The three of them echoed hanging their heads.

"Alright off you go, I've got to get cleaned up and clean up this mess."

"Thanks Dad!"

"Thanks Rick!"

They raced off as I scraped off the worst of the mud smiling to Twilight. "Thanks love that could have been a lot worse."

"Well we're a team remember?" She sat down leaning against me heedless of the mud as she levitated pieces out of the river.

"We sure are..."

I helped her with some of the larger pieces and our friends helped out too naturally when we got that cleaned up we helped Pinkie clean up her float though it seemed most of it had gotten eaten while we were gone.

"You made the whole float out of actual lettuce?!"

"Well ya silly, what else was I going to make it out of? Paper mache and wood?"

"But... Never mind..."

Scootaloo and the girls inducted Babs into the group and she told us planned to start another chapter of it in Manehattan not only as a group for ponies who didn't have their cutie marks but as friends who would stick up and stand together against bullying and anything else. Not bad for a bunch of school fillies...

"But you’re still grounded."

"Awww!"

"It's only a week Angel you'll survive."

"I guess..."

Sometimes the smallest problems can have big repercussions but hopefully we can and we will weather them all...

Author's Note:

Tougher then I thought to write a story based on an episode where you can only outline what 'you' see, think and feel. Well hopefully I didn't screw up too badly. Hope your all doing great and all called your Mom's today, well its mothers day in Canada at least. Look forward to reading any comments you leave and see you later!
Rick