• Published 4th Feb 2014
  • 1,592 Views, 87 Comments

Where the Mountain Meets the Sun - Weeping Angel



Nightmare Moon has taken over again, this time succeeding. Will Sunset Shimmer and her new friends find the missing princess, or will Equestria be shrouded in eternal night...forever?

  • ...
9
 87
 1,592

Chapter II: Know Your Enemy (Edited+Revised)

“This blows,” I mumbled behind Sparkler’s back when she wasn’t looking. I had been assigned the not-so-great job of cleaning up the prince’s office while he was away at a business meeting, and needless to say, it was dull beyond relief.


“Would you rather be jobless in the middle of Canterlot? I thought not,” Sparkler replied. She had obviously heard my feeble attempt at complaining.


The feather duster I was sweeping the cabinets with dropped to the floor, hitting the lush carpet with a thud. “I’m supposed to be Blueblood’s advisor, not his maid! Why are you just watching me work?"


The purple unicorn sighed, getting in a comfortable position on the chair. “I am not watching you,” she began calmly, “I’m reading the prince’s mail.”


“Isn’t that illegal?” I responded, giving her a bewildered look.


“Not when you’re the prince’s assistant and that’s your job! Who do you think signs off around here and does all the actual thinking? Blueblood isn’t that smart.” Sparkler scoffed and carefully opened another letter with her magic.


I sighed and mumbled to myself while picking up the feather duster once more. This time, Sparkler ignored me, but after a few moments of awkward silence, I exhaled and chuckled a bit to get her attention.


“So, I guess you’re not just his assistant, huh?” I provoked, trying to bring out the marelike side of Sparkler, if such a side existed.


Instead, the unicorn frowned, looking up at me. “Whatever do you mean?”


“He’s the prince, you’re his princess, amirite?” I replied, sporting a goofy grin on my face. “What, you’re his assistant and you don’t get any action? Pity. I bet I could give him the time of his life—"


“All right!” Sparkler cut off, a surprised expression replacing her annoyed one. “That’s enough. But no, I’m not his, if you’d excuse my language, marefriend.”


“Oh, no, you’re excused.” I shrugged sarcastically.


“The point is,” Sparkler said, ignoring me, “he is just my colleague. I am positive he holds no… feelings like that for me of all ponies. I am just his assistant, nothing more.” Her regal tone resonated around the office, causing me to shudder. “But,” she started in a much softer tone, “he is kind of cute.”


This made me laugh out loud. “I knew it! So you do like him?”


“Well… maybe,” she responded sheepishly, with a slight blush. "But that is not of your concern, Sunset Shimmer." Anything either of us might have followed up with ended by the door suddenly swinging open. Prince Blueblood stood in the door frame, bags under his eyes and his mane slightly rumpled as if he had just slept on it.


He nodded a hello to us, who had each immediately resumed their own work. The regal stallion plopped down on the chair, sighing contentedly. There were a few moments of awkward silence before he spoke. “Well? Aren’t you going to ask me how it went?”


Carefully, I looked at him, trying not to blush. He certainly was handsome, even with the look like he had just gotten out of bed.


Maybe he did.


Sparkler looked at me as if it was my duty to respond, her eyes signaling that I should say something with a slight twitch. “Okay, then. How did the meeting go?” I asked cautiously, trying not to say something that might offend him.


“Shitty,” Blueblood replied. Okay, not so regal.


Sparkler covered her mouth with her hoof in awe. “Blueblood! Language! You are a prince, not a commoner with such a dirty mouth!”


“Well, that’s how it went! It was just that bad!” Blueblood replied, throwing his hooves in the air.


"That is no excuse—" Sparkler started to say, before I cut her off.


“Oh really?” I asked flirtily. “So what happened that was so, ‘shitty’, as you put it?”


Blueblood was chuckling as the look on Sparkler’s face turned to shock. “Well, first of all—”


“Nah, boring,” I interrupted, waving him off with a hoof. Blueblood seemed to be on the brink of bursting with laughter.


“Sunset!” Sparkler chided, looking at us acting out. Suddenly she threw down her letters in exasperation, exhaling sharply. “You know, I have just about had it with the two of you! You are members of the Queen’s government, not hippies at Hippie Town!”


And that was it. We both bursted into simultaneous laughter, laughing at the immature jokes we were sporting. Sparkler’s mouth gaped wide open as she threw her hooves up and stormed out the office, slamming the door behind her.


Blueblood looked down, still chuckling a bit. "You know, it's been a long time since I've screwed around with her," he said, motioning for me to sit down in a chair with a hoof. I happily obliged, setting the duster down gently and mentally reminding myself to sit up straight and act as polite as I possibly could.


"Yeah, she seems a bit uptight," I replied, scratching my head with a stray hoof, before putting it down and wondering if it was polite to scratch your head in front of royalty. Luckily, he didn't seem to notice.


"I've known her for a long time, believe me, she's the most uptight pony I know. She's just always like that, you know? No matter how much I say to her... Ah, never mind," he finished, smiling distantly, as if he was remembering some old memory.


I smiled, hoping this was a chance to apologize for talking back yesterday. "I hope you forgave me about that little incident yesterday. I don't know what I was thinking, saying something like that—"


Blueblood waved his hoof. "Normally, Sunset, I would be a bit mad. After all, that's what I'm known for, is it not? Being mean to everypony? But you seem like a good mare. And I've seen you around Cloud Crest—although I doubt you've seen me—and you always act accordingly and don't break under pressure. I want to have a good start with you, Sunset. We are going to be working together for a long time, are we not?"


Nodding, I smiled sheepishly. "Thank you, Prince Blueblood," I started. "It really is an honor to be working here with you." See? I know how to turn on the charm factor.


He chuckled. “That's exactly what I'm talking about. If I were you, speaking in front of a prince that has a much higher status than you, I'd be at least a bit nervous." Blueblood put his hooves on the desk in front of him, his mane sweeping in front of his eyes.


“Well, I know how to act around royalty,” I replied, remembering the time when I was the late Princess Celestia’s student. Of course, she was long gone. So were my student days, taken away by that fraud, Twilight Sparkle.


Twilight, the one who had tried [and failed, I might add] to destroy the Queen ten years before. Without the Elements of Harmony, there was no way a pony like her could defeat anypony else. The Elements gave her the power she had. Magic alone could not stop the Queen, she must have known that.


I must have been deep in thought, because I snapped to my senses when I heard Blueblood chuckling. “Yeah, I remember. You used to be the student of—” Blueblood stopped. He wasn’t allowed to say Her name, just like everypony else. “The student of the Nameless One,” he finished.


Smiling, I nodded. “And I spent half of my time not in Equestria.”


“Yeah, how about that,” he mumbled in response, looking around his office. "You know, you're a cool mare—and I don't say that often. I mean, it takes a lot of courage and selflessness to take somepony in off the street and bring them into your home."


What? Did he just make a reference to how I took in Scootaloo off the street? How in Equestria did he know that?


Maybe Scootaloo told him at the Shadowbolt performance he attended. But why would she tell him something private like that?


I must have looked either confused or shocked, because Blueblood snapped me out of the trance I was in, saying, "But, you know, I'm trying to change my ways. Believe it or not, I'm kind of an asshole."


“No!” I replied sarcastically, shaking my head in mock disbelief. I guess I would just ask Scoots about it later.


“Hey, I can have you banished for that,” the prince replied, chuckling. “I really am. I remember one time a year or two before the Eternal Night, I met this one mare at the Grand Galloping Gala. Rarey, Ravish, something like that. So, anyway, this mare is head over heels about me and I actually think she’s kind of cute. I acted like such a douche to her that she screams at me and leaves me hanging! It was terrible. So now, I try to be nicer. It doesn’t always work out, though.”


Gods, was he cute. I shook the thought out, returning my attention to him. This was the prince of Equestria, nephew of the Queen herself. He would never ever like somepony so common as the royal advisor. “I’m sorry, but everypony says you’re not so great,” I told him truthfully, hoping to get an answer out of him.


Blueblood replied by scrunching up his face. “Well, sometimes my old personality comes back to me. Believe it or not, I think I’ve changed. Don’t worry, I always treat the ponies I like nicely now.”


I wonder what that meant.


~~~~~~


The Canterlot Castle’s throne room was silent, despite the fact that it was packed to the brim with ponies. They were all standing in a straight line, waiting to get their turn to speak to Queen Nightmare Moon. The mare in question sat on a pitch black throne made from polished obsidian. It was encrusted with rare gems that could only be found by dragons. Nightmare Moon scowled, her cat-like eyes staring at the one pony who was allowed to speak.


The throne room that had once been home to glass windows depicting scenes from Equestria’s past was now completely black, taken over by the night which the Queen had conjured. The glass windows still remained, but they were corrupted by evil and the images themselves were distorted. What once was a picture of the Elements of Harmony being wielded to stop Nightmare Moon was now a blackened picture of six ponies bowing to the evil entity before them.


The room—as well as the whole castle—reeked of evil.


Nightmare Moon no longer wore her traditional armor, but instead sported a necklace much like the late Princess Celestia’s along with high, spiked shoes and a regal yet cruel looking crown that looked as if it had been forged in the pits of Tartarus itself.


The pony spoke to her in a shaky voice. Her gray coat was slick with sweat, her eyes looking at different directions. Nightmare Moon was barely listening, but could make out the words ‘help’, ‘daughter is sick’, and ‘can’t afford treatment’. The poor mare had tears leaking out of her lazy eyes after she was finished.


The alicorn stood up, sighing deeply. “Miss… Hooves, is it?” Her voice resonated through the silent throne room.


The mare nodded. “Yes, Your Imperial Majesty.”


“Do you know what a pony would do a few thousand years ago when their child was sick?”


The mare shook her head. “No, Your Imperial Majesty.”


Nightmare Moon stepped towards the mare until she was towering over the poor pegasus. She smiled a bit and lowered her head. “Nothing. They did nothing.” The sound of cackling echoed through the throne room, bouncing off of the looming walls. Nightmare Moon lifted her head. “If the child was really worth keeping in Equestrian society, it would survive. If not, well, Equestria has no need for the weak and feeble.” The black alicorn stepped back onto the throne and dismissed the sniffling pegasus. She was escorted out the door, tears now falling freely from her messed up eyes.


Nightmare Moon wore an evil grin as she motioned for the next pony to step in front of her line of vision. Gingerly, the pony gulped and put her front hoof forward. But before she could move up, a member of the Night Guard pushed her back, so that he was now speaking directly to the Queen.


“Your Imperial Majesty, ma’am!” The Night Guard saluted, showing no emotions besides the one of reverence. “I have orders to ask you to the meeting room to discuss a pressing matter!”


“What matter?” Nightmare Moon snapped, annoyed that her time was disrupted. She stood up straighter, and her wings unfolded.


“I-I’m afraid that I was not permitted to know,” he replied nervously.


The alicorn sighed. “Fine!” She gestured to the pony behind the guard, and smiled cruelly. “I am ever sorry about this, but unfortunately I must leave. Your petty problems will have to wait.” Her horn glowed brightly, and a flash of magic teleported her from the throne room to the prestigious meeting room, where Night Crest stood, looking at the alicorn with intensity in her eyes.


“Your Majesty,” she greeted formally.


“Commander,” Nightmare replied to her. “There is a something which you wished to discuss with me?”


“Yes, Your Majesty. This has not been proven so far, but we have valuable evidence suggesting it.”


“Well? Continue!” Nightmare Moon commanded, sitting down on the main throne-like chair.


Cloud Crest sighed. “The, uh, the—”


“Do not stutter in my presence!” Nightmare Moon snapped, her hooves pushing her up from the chair.


“My apologies, my liege. But this is a matter of which I had hoped never to discuss with you.” Cloud sighed again and asked, “You have heard of the Mountain, I presume?”


“The Mountain?” Nightmare replied, starting to feel a little bit uncomfortable.


“The Mountain of the Sun. Legend has it that if you walked up the Mountain, you would find a beautiful castle. This castle would hold the answer to every question in the universe, and have unlimited power. Anypony who made it up this castle would be allowed to select one thing, one thing that would help you with anything you’d like. All superstitious nonsense, of course, but there is some truth to it now.”


“And what truth is that?”


Cloud Crest sighed. “Ten years ago, when you defeated the… the Nameless One, her spirit should have went straight to the sun; just like yours had gone to the moon a thousand years ago.”


“Should have?” said Nightmare in a harsh tone.


Cloud cowered and gulped the lump in her throat. “Yes, your majesty, should have. However, her spirit was bound to the one called Twilight Sparkle, the unicorn who harbored the Element of Magic.” Nightmare rose an eyebrow at the mention of the name.


“When you sent the Elements away as well, the only thing that Twilight had against you was her love for the Nameless One, which tethered her soul to the earth. While she was still bound to this earth, the Nameless One still had magic. She used this magic to teleport the Elements you had sent into oblivion into the castle,” said Cloud Crest.


Nightmare was taken aback. “How in the Holy Moon did you know that?”


“Well, I looked up some old Starswirl scrolls, but that’s not the point. The point is, lately I’ve had reports stating that the Mountain is acting up. The reports stated that strange… rays of light has been seen coming from behind the Mountain, barely peeking over the Everfree Forest. I asked my advisor what this would mean, and she only said one thing, jokingly, of course. ‘Maybe the sun is coming out soon,’ she said. I fired her the day after.”


“Was this the same advisor who blew up my carriage storage room?”


“Yes. Sunset Shimmer, her name was. She works over at your nephews’ now.”


Nightmare Moon took a last look at Cloud Crest before scowling more and stomping out of the room, slamming the door behind her. The three Night Guards guarding the room jumped in surprise, and bowed when they noticed their queen standing in front of them.


Nightmare bared her fangs at the guards. “New order!” she yelled. “Pass this on to your fellow guards: you are to find Sunset Shimmer and bring her to me! Alive! I have something special planned for her…”

Author's Note:

Hello readers! This chapter is now edited! Enjoy, and don't forget to leave a like, favorite, or comment below!

PS I just LOVE torturing my favorite ponies! :pinkiecrazy: