• Published 17th Jan 2018
  • 1,538 Views, 13 Comments

Not fast enough - demonbaker



what happens when the fastest flyer in equestira's speed is put to the ultimate test?

  • ...
3
 13
 1,538

Spitfire

Cheers filled the air, colorful confetti lazily drifting through the air above. The sound of trumpets filled the cloud Colosseum as the Wonderbolts begin their preshow flight.

As she watched the Wonderbolts fly, Dash’s left-wing ached. It's been doing that a lot recently.

Usually when her thoughts turned inward. Magenta eyes followed the Wonderbolts as they flew through the stage.

"I figured this would help. I'm always here if you want to talk Rainbow." Magenta eyes glanced to the right at the white alicorn sitting next to her. Celestia's expression was carefully neutral.

After a long uncomfortable pause, the only reply was "I wish she could see them with me."

Dash looked at Celestia closely, watching her eyes for a long moment. It takes longer than usual, but the soft lavender eyes shifted slightly to the right.

To her missing wing. Looking away in disgust Dash looked back to the show. It took all of her willpower to avoid biting her lip.

Pity. It was always pity! Whatever small good mood she had until then turned sour. This entire trip is just the princess trying to cheer me up.

Her friends were constantly walking on eggshells next to her, going out of their way to avoid talking about what had happened.

Dash was sick of it. Sick of the constant gazes, the whispering ponies around her. Nobody ever talks about it to her face. Acting like she's made of glass.

With a flash of light, the pre-show was over, the Wonderbolts beginning their wing warm-ups to prepare for the race. Dash's eyes watch them prepare and her wing throbs again, sometimes it hurts so much it's like it's still there, flapping to push her closer.

Gritting her teeth she just tried to ignore it till it went away again, the pain should fade. Eventually.

A gruff voice pierces her thoughts. "Hurts doesn't it." Looking up Dash sees a pair of yellow eyes glaring at her, a shockingly yellow and orange pony flying in the air in front of her.

Keeping her face neutral Dash simply stared into Spitfire's eyes, waiting for them to shift to her missing wing, or look away.

The silence slowly moved from uncomfortable to oppressive. Oddly it was Spitfire who speaks first. "You taking meds for the pain?"

Dash's eyes widen slightly, looking to Celestia for a moment. "I haven't said anything to them Dash."

A hoof roughly turns Dash's head to look back into Spitfires eyes again. "I asked you a question, civilian."

Gritting her teeth dash replied harshly. "Of course I'm not. It's not a big deal."

Instead of softening, or looking away Spitfires eyes glared at her so powerfully it's a wonder her remaining wing didn't catch fire. "Bullshit."

Dashes mouth simply hung open in shock. Her gaze turning to anger a moment later. "How dare you! it's my body. If I don't want to stop the pain I won't." Standing to her hooves Dash's glare matched Spitfire's, her one remaining wing spreading out behind her absently. "It's my body, my wing, and my punis-"

The rest of Dash's sentence is cut short when Spitfire slapped her.

"It's your punishment? It's your price for failure? Don't give me that shit, you did our race proud! They saw that rainboom all the way in Cloudsdale. I don't think any of us could have made it in time. Yet instead of thinking about that, you punish yourself for failing in an unwinnable sitution."

Spitfire leaned in close, her face an inch from Dash's. "You couldn't have saved her, no pegasus could have saved her, I was there and I couldn't save her."

Whatever angry reply that was brewing inside Dash vanishes instantly. "You..." Dash looked to Celestia for clarification, only getting a sigh in response, before she could say anything she's cut off by Spitfire.

"Who do you think flew you to the hospital?"

~~~ A week earlier ~~~

For a town that’s always being attacked, Ponyville is surprisingly peaceful. Cloudsdale’s been at peace for so long that they are going soft.

Not Ponyville though, this town’s seen some shit.

Spitfire flew through the sky, keeping high so that her signature colors aren’t recognized.

With that stupid competition happening in a few days the paparazzi was even worse than normal, hell even the other Wonderbolts were abuzz over the fact that Rainbow Dash was going to be competing.

Personally, Spitfire was looking forward to what the youngster showed them.

And thus her trip to Ponyville, fewer reporters, and it was a great excuse to watch Rainbow practice too.

She found a lone cloud above a random field Spitfire settles in for another long day. A sound of annoyance rising up from below as a blue form is tossed away.

Good, she didn’t miss anything. As she looked down Spitfire smiled as she saw Dash picking herself from the ground. The sound barrier was a bitch, and Dash’s form was flawed, she’s not thinning her profile enough to overcome the resistance.

Her heart also didn't seem in it, frustration’s ruining her focus. Chuckling to herself Spitfire’s ear twitched at a new sound.

“You can do it Dash!”

Seems she’s got an audience today. Maybe this will give the mare motivation. Spitfire’s eyes are locked on the young pegasus.

Not seen her before, does she even go to flight school?

Spitfire’s eyes are drawn to the wings on the orange fillies back.

Ah, that explains it. Looks like malnourishment.

Dash takes off after ruffling the head of the filly. They must be close. Something is bothering Spitfire, like an itch in the back of her mind. Focusing on the feeling her eyes were drawn toward the cloud the filly's standing on. It took no more than a second before she realized the problem.

The cloud that the small filly’s standing on doesn’t look stable, it’s far too small in diameter, and far to thin at the edges.


Especially for somepony who couldn’t fly. Rising in a panic Spitfire scans the skies for Dash, not seeing her she looks up...and up.

And up.

Shit. she came to the right idea, she needed more speed, but now is not the time.

A scream from below highlighted her worst fears, the cloud has given way. Spitfire does a quick check of their distances, Her head rushing through the scenario before her.

Even as she took to the air and dove down, she knew it in her head.

She wasn’t anywhere near close enough. She wanted to be out of sight, which meant being high up.

She’s also not wearing her goggles, moving at her fastest speed would blind her from the wind, she’d be lucky to avoid a bird, let alone catch a filly.

She’s still going to try.

As she flapped downward she was knocked aside by a pressure wave, correcting herself she sees Dash speeding toward the filly.

Please make it.

It doesn’t take long for the sound barrier to begin to slow dash down. But this time her form is better, and she’s at the proper angle. With a burst of determination, she blows right through it like it wasn’t even there.

Doing another quick estimate it looks like she’s going to make it in time.

But then the filly stops moving her hooves, thinning her profile and speeding her fall.

Shit shit shit shit. Yes, she just did a rainboom. but focus little one!

Did nopony teach this young one the basics?

A few moments later it’s over. The filly crashing through the branches of the forest below.

In the end, Dash was almost close enough to touch the young filly.

It was only by a few hooflengths.

Wait, can she still pull-

Crash

Shit shit shit shit.

Spitfire arrives not ten seconds later, following the hole in the canopy, seeing some branches with a bit of red on them fills her stomach with dread.

Her hooves reach the ground and she sees them. Lying next to each other, just a hoof length apart.

Rainbow’s left wing is a mangled mess, Her head has a nasty looking cut from where she hit a tree.

The filly didn’t look good at all.

Falling back on her training Spitfire worked quickly, She fashioned a small sled to carry the filly on, she slings dash over her shoulders and begins dragging the pony, doing her best to avoid roots along the ground.

She made it to the road and picked up her speed, shoving aside pedestrians walking into the city. She made her way to the city center and got lost for a moment, her eyes frantically searching the buildings till she sees a familiar medic cross.

She doesn’t so much knock, as knock the doors open, Her back was beginning to feel a bit hot where dash’s head was resting against her, her left-wing hanging limply at her side as if it didn’t even have any bones.

That was not a good sign.

~~~~~

They were both in surgery for hours, A purple dragon that was in the town square sent a letter to Celestia. When she arrived she saw that the small-town hospital wasn’t going to cut it. So after they stabilized Dash she then sent the pair to Cloudsdale for better treatment.

Spitfire was not one of the ones she teleported, so she grabbed her goggles and flew.

The Wonderbolt’s not ever flown that fast in her life, even her goggles cracked from the air pressure.

She arrived in only thirty minutes.

When she got there Dash and Scootaloo were being looked at by the best doctors in Equestria.

At hour one Rainbow’s wing was deemed unsavable and the decision was made to amputate.

It was that or live a life in constant pain as it healed improperly. She’d be unable to fly either way.

At hour three the head wound was treated, She managed to get them to treatment in time, suffering no more than a concussion and a cracked skull.

At hour four, they lost the filly.

Spitfire only learned her name was Scootaloo the next day.

~~~Present day~~~

Dash’s eyes were wide in shock, this ponies rude behavior and the revelation that a Wonderbolt saved her hitting her at the same time.

“I bet you never even thought of it. How you didn’t die in the woods.”

Spitfire moved closer, her nose nearly touching Dash’s now.

“I also bet you hate the fact that you lived and she didn’t.”

Spitfire didn’t just hit the nail on the head, she pounded it in. Dash flinched from that, she almost didn’t hear Spitfires next words as they were directed at Celestia.

“Think now’s a good time?”

“It’s as good as any.”

Dash is lifted into the air, a golden glow surrounding her as she’s dropped right into the middle of the field.

Celestia’s voice boomed around the stadium. “Ladies and Gentleponies, I’m sure you all noticed the rainboom a week ago, this pegasus here is the one who did that. Due to injuries she suffered after performing this feat, she was not able to participate in the contest that happened a few days ago. You must be wondering why I never gave out the winning prize of such an event. It is my great honor to give Rainbow Dash, The best fliers award." She paused for a bit, gesturing to the orang captain. "And Captain Spitfire also has something she wishes to say.”

Dash was overwhelmed by the cheering she received, even as the confetti rained down. She gritted her teeth at all the attention, she could practically feel the eyes on her back.

On her missing wing.

At one time she would have just basked in the attention she was getting, but now it just felt hollow.

It was just more pity.

Then Spitfires gruff voice washed over the crowd, hushing them almost instantly.

“This pony has been on our watchlist ever since the Nightmare Moon Incident, she’s saved Equestria more times than anypony, and is always loyal to her friends. Each of the Wonderbolts respects her from the bottom of our hearts, and though it’s a few years too early, We are giving her membership into the Wonderbolts as of today.”

Spitfire flew down to the stage and held up one of Dash’s hooves to thunderous applause.

Spitfire leaned in and said something just for Dash. Even among the din Dash could make out what she said clearly.

“This isn't pity Dash, we were going to invite you to the Wonderbolts when you came of age. Those plans are out the window, but A position just opened up at the Wonderbolts flight academy.”

Dash felt something she’s not had for what seems like a lifetime.

She felt a little hope.

Looking at Spitfire she doesn't see pity in her eyes. A bit of sadness, sure. But not pity.

Maybe this pony knew.

Looking up at the crowd as it's cheering reaches a crescendo.

Maybe she understood.

Dash looked to Spitfire and got a steady gaze in return.

No shifting to her wing, no pity in her eyes.

Just respect.

And a little bit of anger too. Anger at dash’s Behaviour.

Even though she still hated the applause, maybe this is what she needed.

She’s still never going to be fast enough. That filly will haunt her dreams forever. Always just out of reach.

But if she can save others from the same fate, each one will help to fill the hole in her heart.

Dash decided to start taking medication for the pain.

She’s got another way to repent now.

Wait for me Scootaloo. I’ll be there someday.

~~~~~

Dash arrived at the clearing, the wind rustling the trees around them. Ahead of her was an iconic treehouse.

Dash's wing didn't hurt as much, the doctors called it 'Phantom limb pain.' It still aches occasionally though.

The wind blew once again, drawing her gaze to the bottom of the treehouse where a simple cross lay. It was obviously made by either Appleboom or Sweetiebell, the telltale crusaders cape pinned to the back moved in the breeze, and a rather recognizable blue hamlet sat on top of it.

Slowly, Dash approached the cross, Her memories of that time flashing through her mind. but instead of it only being of her failure, she remembered all the other good times she had with the young filly. Before she knew it tears were flowing down her muzzle.

She hadn't cried when she heard about Scootalo, or at all really.

Now the tears came flowing out, her voice coming out in an ugly bawl, she hugged the helmet tight, memories of what she's missing assaulting her.

She didn't know how long she stayed like that, but in the end, she felt better.

Scootaloo will never come back, but at least she has another path to follow. That hole in her heart will always remain, but she'll never forget.

"Don't Worry Scoots, I'll be joining you someday. But for now, I'm going to do my best to make sure this doesn't happen again."

Her vow made, she returned to town, a chariot waiting to take her back to Cloudsdale.

And to her new purpose in life.

Author's Note:

This is all I have for now. I hope you enjoyed my story. Sometimes a little bit of sadness is what you need. just need to let the tears flow.

I hope I gave this an appropriately bittersweet ending. She's going to be changed forever, but maybe that's ok.

Comments ( 3 )

Good story. I ran out of tissue midway.

10063310
sometimes you just want to read a sad one. I do when the mood strikes me. thoughts on chapter 2?

I liked it a lot. Hard to go in to details, got new meds, making my brain fuzzy.

Login or register to comment