• Published 17th Jan 2018
  • 1,537 Views, 13 Comments

Not fast enough - demonbaker



what happens when the fastest flyer in equestira's speed is put to the ultimate test?

  • ...
3
 13
 1,537

Training.

"You can do it, Dash!"

Scootaloo was jumping in place on the small cloud Dash had cobbled together. Already she was proving to be a better cheerleader than Fluttershy.

"I know you can do the rainboom!"

"Don't you doubt it squirt." Pulling the filly into a hug Dash frowned as she thought about the problem. Every time she's tried it she gets thrown back. She peered over the edge of the cloud, the forest below them rustling in the breeze. Striking one more epic pose she took off, flying up before she quickly turned around and dove straight down. She blasted past the cloud to give the filly as good a view as she could. Her hoof outstretched she begins to accelerate, soon a small cone of air formed around her.

This was the tricky part, the more she pushes against the barrier the more it fought back. Straining against it until all her momentum is gone. With a snap Dash is sent flying backward, her wings instinctively spreading out to stop her from flying too far, the memory of hitting twilight's library some ways away made her wince.

She needed something to wow the judges at the Best Flier's competition in a few days.

Back to the problem at hoof, she needed more momentum, if she can just break that stupid barrier she'd be free. Looking up at the sky above Dash got an idea.

She needed more height.

"Stay here squirt, I'm going to go high." Pointing up she got a nod from the filly. The entire cloud shook from a single beat of her wings as Dash climbed up. She passed more and more clouds, climbing ever higher until eventually she broke past the highest clouds and leveled off. looking down, the forest beneath was so far away it was just a dark green splotch on the light green field.

Perfect.

Shifting her gaze she looked for the cloud Scootaloo was on. She noticed a yellow pegasus below her standing and looking downward. something about the mane was familiar, though she looked concerned, her wings spread like she was going to jump.

Dash followed her gaze and sees Scootaloo on the familiar cloud below. What was so concerning? Yea the cloud looked a little smaller than before, but that must be the height. Looking closer Dash studied the cloud once again.

With a start Dash noticed something. It was her third attempt today, and each one she was flying as close to the cloud to give Scootaloo as good a view as possible. A pit formed in her stomach as she noticed how thin the edge of the cloud had become.

The exact edge that Scootaloo was standing on. Before she could even say anything Scootalloo jumped again in excitement.

And fell right through the thin cloud.

Time slowed to a crawl, it felt like Dash's stomach dropped out from beneath her as she saw the filly's wings buz to try to stop her fall.

They were far too weak for that.

"Scootaloo!!!"

She dove, flapping her wings, her hooves stretched out before her. She's never accelerated this fast In her life, her wings began to burn as she put every bit of experience she had to go faster. In response, a bit of pain spread through her wings letting her know that she was pushing them.

It didn't matter. She accelerated faster than she ever dared before. There was too much at stake to worry about safety.

A quick judge of the distance showed that she was about fifteen hundred hooves from Scootaloo, and Scootaloo was about five-hundred from the ground.

The air in front of her started to compress as she flew faster and faster. Memories of her previous failures flashed through her mind. "No no no, not now!" She grits her teeth as she started to slow down. She pushed harder, the pain in her wings grew more pronounced, as the cone in front of her got thinner. Tear's blurred her vision, being ripped away from her by the wind.

Scootaloo needed her, that's all that mattered.

A thousand to go, three-hundred from the ground.

Dash squinted through the tears, it was getting hard to see Scootaloo, but she was still too far away. she needed to pick up the pace even more. The cone continued to get thinner and harder to push past, her wings were on fire now, the pain of her muscles tearing themselves apart was becoming harder to ignore. Channeling all of her fear and adrenaline she pushed once again, the cone beginning to stretch as her two hooves spread the cone a bit wider than she was doing before. With a final bit of resistance, it gave way.

Boom

Suddenly the pressure was gone, her mane whipped wildly behind her, leaving a multicolored trail in her wake. The removal of the resistance let her accelerate more, she was gaining on the flailing shape beneath her but Scootallo had stopped her wild flailing in shock. Even this far away Dash could see the hopeful look in her eyes.

Five-hundred to go, one-fifty to the ground.

Scootaloo's profile had narrowed considerably, letting her accelerate to terminal velocity faster. Even with the barrier gone, it wasn't enough. Dash Called upon everything her body can give, her wings cramping and protesting with each beat. Her muscles tore themselves apart, filling her slim body with pain.

She couldn't go any faster.

One-fifty to go, fifty from the ground.

She was at her limit.

One-twenty to go, thirty from the ground.

She's too far away.

sixty to go, twenty from the ground.

It wasn't enough.

Scootaloo's form crashed through the branches beneath her, the sound of splintering wood filled the air, Dash lost sight of her in the thick foliage. She started pulling her wings in to narrow her profile, crashing through the green canopy half a second later.

Thin Branches snap against Dash's hooves, an explosion of pain in her left-wing caused her to spin out of control. Her view a whirlwind of color until she saw the brown bark of a tree rushing to meet her then all was darkness.

~~~~~

Sometime later things slowly came into focus, a familiar ticking sound greeted her ears, sterile white walls surrounded her. The beeping of a heart monitor joined the Ticking of the clock, an uneven bed beneath her.

Looking down at the hospital bed she's in she noticed a familiar yellow pegasus leaning over her barrel. Dash moved the tangled pink mane out of Fluttershy's eyes to see her sleeping face.

It looked like Fluttershy's been crying.

With a start Shy looked up, her eyes red from tears. It took a few moments for Fluttershy to recognize her but she hugs Dash softly when she realized her friend was awake.

"S-Scootaloo."

Fluttershy flinched at the name, hugging slightly tighter.

"S-she...She didn't make it."

With those four words, it felt like Dash's world shattered. Memories of the young filly filled her head.

Dash

Dash went to sit up but Fluttershy gently but firmly forced her back down, the bed resting against her back unevenly once again.

Come on Dash! Just let me watch!

Dash's voice was a weak monotone as she looked at Fluttershy. "How...long."

Fluttershy sat back and wiped her face with a hoof, it didn't help as the tears were simply replaced a moment later. "Three days. You were...very badly hurt." Wiping away more of her tears Fluttershy continues. "Y-you did all that you could, the whole town saw the rainboom."

Come on Dash, please!

The knowledge that she performed a rainboom somehow felt hollow. An empty pit in her stomach in the shape of a young filly's warm smile.

I'm your biggest fan!

Something about the bed had been bugging Dash. It felt odd against her left side, a weird ache on her shoulder where the wing attached. She absently went to stretch her wing.

Nothing happened.

If she felt hollow before, now her body was filled with ice. Hesitantly Dash turned her head to look at her left wing. Fluttershy noticed the movement, a fresh batch of tears flowed down the well-worn path.

It was gone.

Her wing was gone

All that is left were white bandages covering where the wing previously connected with her back.

"What.."

Fluttershy simply gave Dash another hug. "They tried all they could. You hit the branch so hard it was...beyond repair."

Dash sat there in shock, it was just too much. Darkness began closing in from the corners of her vision once more.

You can do it Dash.

As she sank into her dream, the feeling of wind in her mane, a plummeting shape beneath her one thing was clear.

She wasn't fast enough.

And now she never would be.

Author's Note:

tissues not included.
this story is based on a youtube video