• Published 2nd Feb 2014
  • 6,912 Views, 41 Comments

Sombra VS Hearts and Hooves Day - Harmony Charmer



Pinkie tries to show Sombra that Hearts and Hooves Day isn't all that bad, but things go awry when an old flame visits her... with his new marefriend!

  • ...
5
 41
 6,912

Sombra VS Hearts and Hooves Day

"Happy Hearts and Hooves Day!"

Sombra felt himself cringe in annoyance as he heard the celebratory phrase reach his ears for who knows how many times. It'd been a rather troublesome morning for the ex-king, what with the ponies outside the library, in which he resided, constantly exchanging their collective joy.

'Damn them and their love!' he cursed silently, grinding his fangs together. He had been dreading the coming of this Tartarus-awful holiday. With every exchange of love and gifts that he heard from outside, he could feel his rage rise to exponential levels, his hate and disdain growing every passing second.

Back in his days of rule, he had forbidden the celebration of Hearts and Hooves Day, to prevent any hope from forming in his crystal slaves. The fact that these back wood, hickville bumpkins actually found the concept of love celebratory infuriated him beyond belief and comprehension.

"Are you going to stay in your cot all day?" asked Twilight, the warden for his prison. He gave her a sharp look, her oblivion only adding onto his annoyance.

"I might as well," he replied darkly, looking back down at the novel he had picked out earlier. It was the third installment of the Daring Do series; Daring Do and the Journey of Radiance. Although he enjoyed the series greatly, he had given up on reading it when the ponies outside became too much of an annoyance to his focus.

Twilight sighed and shook her head. "It's just as well," she admitted, "Pinkie isn't going to be able to take you out on your walk, what with Hearts and Hooves Day being a busy day for her." Sombra could feel relief wash over him and he savored it. It was enough to put up with the idiotic country folk that resided outside the library; to put up with that annoying pink mare would have been overkill.

'She's still better than that incessant princess,' he found himself thinking, sneaking a glance at Twilight. If it weren't for her and that annoying baby dragon, he wouldn't be stuck in Ponyville, the worst place on earth. And Pinkie, that annoying, fuchsia mare, wouldn't have been assigned to be his reformer.

"Happy Hearts and Hooves Day!" said somepony from outside. Sombra let out what was a mix between a groan and a yell, then shoved his head underneath his pillow.

"When will this torture end?" he groaned.

* * *

"Have a nice Hearts and Hooves Day!" Pinkie called out to a departing costumer. It was Noteworthy, one of the helpers on her Winter Wrap-Up team, who had gotten a box of chocolates for his special somepony, Cherry Berry. He had been in a rush so he could get a bouquet of roses from Roseluck, who was having a sale on her flowers for the holiday exclusively.

'I wouldn't be surprised if he proposed!' she thought, giggling at the thought, 'I wonder how his brother's doing?' She should've asked, she realized, but it was too late to. As another stallion walked up to the counter, who she recognized as Lucky Clover, Roseluck's coltfriend, she gave him a cheeky grin, forgetting her failure to ask how somepony was doing.

"Getting something for Rosie, huh?" she said, waggling her eyebrows. The grey coated stallion blushed lightly, then nodded.

"She told me that she absolutely loves the Rosepetal Cupcakes you guys have!" he told her, "Too bad you only make 'em only once a year." Pinkie nodded in understanding.

"I know!" she replied, throwing her hooves in the air, "I love those things! I eat as much as I can when I get the chance!" Lucky raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"You got a special somepony to give you those?" he asked in shock, "Who is he, that guy you walk around town with everyday?" Pinkie felt herself blush as she realized who Lucky was referring to and shook her head rapidly.

"Oh, no, no, no!" she told him, waving her hooves in denial, "Sombry and I are just friends! I only get the cupcakes if there are any left over; which, they usually aren't." Lucky's mouth formed a small 'O' as he came to understand and nodded.

"Still, though," he continued, "Rosie told me that something was going on between you and- Sombry, was it?" Pinkie quirked a brow upwards as she handed him a small pink box containing the Rosepetal Cupcakes. She knew that gossip was one of the quirks to living in a small town like Ponyville, but she hadn't really paid it any mind until she realized her love life was one of the topics.

"Well, we're just friends," she told him, feeling annoyed, then chirped happily, "here are your cupcakes!" Lucky Clover pulled out a sack of bits and paid the fee for his special somepony's treat, smiling as he did so.

"See ya later, Pinkie!" he called behind him as he exited the crowded bakery. Pinkie finally let her smile fall as he looked away, then looked out the window. She could just make out Twilight's library in the distance, where Sombra resided.

'I wish I could see him today,' she admitted to herself, 'He must be bored in there, with nothing to do. I mean, it's a library! Boooooooooring!' She perked up at the sight of another customer walking up to the counter and smiled. It was Ditzy Doo, who ponies often made fun of for her lisp and crossing eyes, thus resulting in her nickname, Derpy Hooves. Pinkie never took part in the teasing, seeing as how it was cruel and unjustified.

But, before Pinkie could take the wall eyed mare's order, she heard Mrs.Cake call her name. She turned her head to see her employer come over to the counter. "Why don't you take the rest of the day off?" she suggested, surprising Pinkie, a feat few made for the pony of surprises.

"But, today's-" Pinkie was cut off by Mrs.Cake holding up her hoof to request her silence.

"A young girl like you shouldn't be wasting a day like this working when she can get a stallion to take her on a date!" she told her, poking Pinkie in the chest. Pinkie snuck a glance out the window, feeling a pang of envy when she saw a happy couple walk by. Although she didn't care for dating(due to a terrible experience she had with a stallion), she couldn't help but feel upset that she didn't have somepony to come home to.

'But, you like Sombra, remember?' she heard a voice tell her, causing her to blush. While it was true that she had an undeniable crush on the tyrant of the Crystal Empire, she knew that he didn't share her feelings. Sure, he teased her about it every now and then, but she knew it was nothing more than harmless flirting; well, harmless for Sombra, at least.

"But what about the shop?" she asked. Mrs.Cake waved her hoof in dismissal, then nodded her head over to her husband, Mr.Cake, who had just placed three boxes on the counter for an outgoing delivery.

"We can handle it here, Deary," she assured her, then pointed a hoof to the door, "Now go get yourself a date and stay up all night if that's what it takes!"

She gave her an unsure look, then smiled as she said, "Okie dokie lokie!" She turned away from her employer and walked out of the bakery, a bounce in her step. 'Looks like I get to see Sombry today after all!' she thought giddily, her joy growing as the library came into her sights.

She imagined Sombra in his cot, probably curled up with a book he recently took a liking to. She giggled as she remembered that Rainbow Dash had suggested the Daring Do series and how Sombra zoomed through the first two books in less than a week. At the though of her crush, a familiar feeling took over and she grinned happily as she recognized it. She took a deep breath and let out a cheer as the lyrics for her upcoming song came to her.

[Pinkie Pie]
Can you feel it in the air?
It's like magic!
Can you feel it anywhere?
It's sweet, like a caramel apple on a stick!

Surrounding ponies looked over in surprise, then relaxed as they realized it was Pinkie who was singing. Ponies gathered around as Pinkie continued to sing her song, her joy and happiness apparent.

[Pinkie Pie]
Today's the daaaaaaaaaaaay, oh yes indeed!
The day where everypony can seeeeeee,
That love is here, waiting to sprout from the seed!
And where everypony can see the real meeeeeeeee!

Oh, it's love, love, love!
Pretty, strong and hiiiiiiiiiiiiigh!
Like a dove, dove, dove!
So wonderful it makes ya wanna cry!

Pinkie felt her joy grow as she heard her fellow friends join in on her song, repeating the chorus in perfect harmony. She glanced over at a couple sitting under a table for two by the Cherry Cafe. As the two ponies leaned towards one another, hopelessly lost in their other's eyes, Pinkie leaned in between them, breaking their contact.

[Pinkie Pie]
Can ya feel it, mister?

[Stallion]
Why, yes indeed!

[Pinkie Pie]
Can ya feel it, ma'am?

[Mare]
As if it sprouted from the seed!

Pinkie jumped away from the couple, landing in the middle of a large circle that had formed when her song first began.

[Pinkie Pie]
Well, then you seeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

[Ponies]
Oh, yes we seeeeeeeeeeeee!

When Pinkie's song had first begun, Sombra's ears picked up the sound and he went over to window of the library to investigate. Upon seeing his pink reformer, he merely dismissed it as "Pinkie being Pinkie", as Twilight would put it. But, at the sight of the townsponies joining in on her song of love, it genuinely surprised him.

"What's Pinkie up to now?" asked Twilight, her eyes widening as she took in the sight of Pinkie's crowd. When Sombra gave her a look that showed his ignorance to the subject, the unicorn and alicorn walked over to the door of the library and opened it. They both exited the library, watching the scene unfold in sheer curiosity.

[Pinkie Pie and the Ponies]
Oh, it's love, love, love!(Yes, it's love, love, love!)
Pretty, strong and hiiiiiiiiiiiiigh!(Oh, so hiiiiiiiiigh!)
Like a dove, dove, dove!(Beautiful as a dove!)
So wonderful it makes ya wanna cry!(Oh, sweet wonderful-!)

The town was silent as Pinkie took a deep breath, then out the finishing note.

[Pinkie Pie]
Loooooooooooooooooove!

[Ponies]
Sweet looooooooooooove!

Pinkie jumped into the air, then slid out on the ground on her knees while still holding the high note, stopping just in front of Twilight and Sombra. "Oh, hi Sombry!" she greeted, as if she wasn't just part of a ginormous musical number that she started. Sombra's jaw was dropped in pure shock as he tried to process what he just saw, whereas, Twilight, who was used to Pinkie's random acts, recovered quickly.

"Hay, Pinkie!" Twilight said, smiling at her pink friend. Sombra's silence was broken through as he began to sputter, his right eye twitching as he did.

"What on... I can't even..." he said to himself, then shouted, "What the devil just happened?!" Pinkie ignored his shock and tackled him to the ground as she hugged him. Sombra felt the air leave his body almost immediately and his face turned blue from the lack of oxygen. Due to the lack of armor(that was accidentally destroyed by Pinkie in an unfortunate incident), the hug seemed tighter than it normally did.

"Can't.... breath...." he rasped, his face starting to turn violet. Pinkie released him from the hug enough to look at his face(that turned back into it's normal color), and giggled.

"Happy Hearts and Hooves Day!" she cheered, hugging him again, but not as tightly as before. Sombra froze and shoved Pinke away from him, frowning at her.

"Don't tell me that's what you were singing about," he groaned, earning a surprised look from Pinkie. She leaped forward and leaned into his face, her eyes wide.

"Well, duh!" she exclaimed, leaning away from him and facing the group of ponies that dispersed and went back to what they were doing before Pinkie's song. "It's Hearts and Hooves day!" she continued, "Stallions telling their sweethearts how special they are! Mares getting gifts; chocolates, flowers and rings, oh my!" She sunk to the ground as she sighed dreamily, her face in her hooves as they held her upright. "What I'd give to get one of those Rosepetal Cupcakes they sell to stallions for their special someponies!"

Pinkie's daydreaming was cut through by Sombra's snort of disapproval. "Because nothing says love like a stupid cupcake," he said sarcastically. Pinkie jumped up to her hooves and saw that Sombra had started walking into the library.

"Hay!" she exclaimed, causing him to turn around, "Don't ya wanna go on a walk with me?" Sombra raised his eyebrows, then gave her a fake grin that showed his fangs.

"And watch the disgusting display of love that is this ridiculous holiday?" he asked with fake enthusiasm, then frowned again, "I'll pass, thank you very much." Twilight stepped in front of Sombra, spreading her wings to block his way.

"I think you need a good dose of this ridiculous holiday, Sombra," she said with snark, "And Pinkie's just the pony to do so!" Pinkie beamed at Twilight's claim and giggled as she cheered.

"Yay!" Pinkie shouted, grabbing Sombra's hoof, "Let's go see what everypony's doing!" Sombra tried to fight against her, but she held his hoof like an iron fist. After several failed attempts at escape, he gave up and let the mare drag him through the bright and happy town.

'This Tartarus-awful place looks even worse with the hearts and balloons everywhere...' he thought to himself, cringing as he heard a mare let out a squeal of delight from receiving a gift from her coltfriend.

"Aw, look!" Pinkie cooed, pointing at a young unicorn filly and earth pony colt. Sombra recognized her to be Sweetie Belle, Rarity's younger sister and a member of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. Although the three fillies had caused Sombra an amount of trouble, he had grown particularly fond of their chaotic nature.

"Who's that colt she's with?" he asked, growing curious.

"That's Button Mash," Pinkie answered, "He moved to Ponyville a couple weeks ago. He's got a bit of crush on Sweetie Belle!" Sombra watched in shock as Button Mash pulled out a small, poorly-cut paper heart. Although it was an eyesore, it make Sweetie's porcelain face turn bright red with embarrassment. But, she let out a small squeal of delight and hugged the blushing colt, causing his entire face to turn scarlet.

"Curse this holiday," Sombra mumbled under his breath, "brainwashing fillies and colts into thinking love is a good thing..." Pinkie heard his quip, but refused to argue with him on the subject.

'You've made progress with him,' she reminded herself, 'don't let it go to waste.' Although he was a thorn in her side most of the time, she had seen how he good he can be. She blushed in remembrance of how he helped her foalsit for the Cakes when they dropped it on her at the last second(and how Mr. and Mrs.Cake took pictures of them when they fell asleep next to each other from exhaustion).

"Pinkie Pie?" asked a familiar, disbelieving voice. Pinkie and Sombra turned collectively to see a blue coated stallion with a darker blue mane. Two music quavers adorned his flank, signifying his talent involving music. Her eyes widened in shock as she recognized him and her jaw dropped in pure surprise.

"Baritone?" she squeaked, still in surprise. Baritone smiled widely and held out his foreleg in offering of a hug, to which Pinkie happily accepted.

"It's been ages since I've seen you!" he said, pulling away from the hug. Pinkie laughed nervously, causing Sombra to quirk a brow upwards. She was normally very laid back and easy going with ponies, but for some strange reason, she was acting strangely.

"I thought you moved to Canterlot!" Pinkie exclaimed, finally over her shock. Baritone nodded his head.

"I did!" he answered enthusiastically, "I came here to visit my parents!"

"It's their 37th Hearts and Hooves Day together!" she proclaimed, proudly displaying her exceptional memory. Baritone chuckled at Pinkie's proclamation.

"That memory of yours sure is something, Pinks!" he said, chuckling again.

' 'Pinks?' ' Sombra found himself thinking. He'd been there to witness dozens of dialogue exchanged between Pinkie and her friends in town, but none of them, not one, ever gave her a nickname. At what he first thought was a platonic exchange between two ponies, he was beginning to see it was more than that.

"Bari!" a voice called. They all turned to see a light brilliant yellow coated mare with a moderate cerulean mane waving her hoof at Baritone, smiling as she did so. Three daisies adorned her flank.

"Is that...?" Pinkie asked, then trailed off. Baritone nodded, a light blush coming to his cheeks.

"I met her in Canterlot when Winter Wrap-Up came around," he explained, "Tonight's... kind of a big night." Sombra's eyes widened in realization as he understood the implication the stallion was making.

'He's going to propose?' he thought, the idea alarming him. He glanced over at Pinkie, who seemed to have frozen in place. After a moment, she shook her head and gave a strained smile.

"That's really great, Baritone," she told him, her prior enthusiasm lost. If the blue stallion noticed it, he gave no sign of it.

"Well, I better get to Bell," he said, excusing himself from the conversation. Pinkie nodded, her cheeks warbling from how much she was trying to hold her smile.

"Tell her I said 'Hi'," she said as he walked away. After one last glance at Pinkie, he trotted over Bell, greeting her with a hug. Once Baritone stopped looking at her, her smile dropped into a frown. Her mane still maintained it curls, but ti somehow lacked it voluminous, craziness, while her bright, blue eyes turned dull with sadness.

"Pinkie?" Sombra asked, somewhat alarmed by her change in behavior. He held up a hoof in front of her face and began to wave it slowly, then increased it's speed when it showed no results. "Hello?" He tapped his hoof on her head. "Anypony home?" He put his mouth to her ear and said loudly, "Are the lights on upstairs?"

At his last attempt, Pinkie shook her head, smacking her mane in his face. "Huh?" she said in dazed tone, while Sombra held his throbbing muzzle.

"You went into shock, for whatever reason," he told her, muttering the last part, "What the devil is wrong with you?" Pinkie blinked, as if just remembering her encounter with Baritone, then deflated once more.

"That was Baritone," she told him, earning an annoyed look from Sombra.

"Yeah, I know that," he replied in a clipped tone, "what of it?" Pinkie hesitated, as if she were at an actual loss for words. She glanced back at Baritone and Bell, whose flanks were pressed against one another as they walked together.

"He was..." she started, then sighed, "he was my old coltfriend." Sombra's eyes widened in pure shock and his jaw dropped.

"You had a coltfriend?" he asked incredulously, earning a sad nod from Pinkie.

"It's been years since I've seen him," she admitted, "When we first broke it off, he said he would come back from Canterlot and then we'd..." Her eyes cut across to Bell, who was giggling at something Baritone said. Sombra's eyes widened, this time in realization at Pinkie's implication. She closed her eyes briefly, sucking in breath to calm herself down.

"...But it looks like he's moved on." Pinkie's ear flattened against her head as she stood up and dragged her hooves on the ground in sadness. Sombra, who normally would've relished in her negativity, felt a pang of sympathy for the mare. Although he had been right about this holiday being awful, it didn't feel quite right to tell her, "I told you so," after an encounter with an old flame.

'Why do I care?' he thought suddenly, his eyes cutting across to Pinkie's slumped form. He glanced over at Baritone, anger burning in his gut. Although he knew that Pinkie was tiresome and rather annoying, to say that you were going to marry somepony was an awful big deal. The fact that he had gone and gotten another marefriend, with the intention to propose to her, was nothing less than the behavior of a scoundrel.

'He doesn't deserve her,' he thought darkly, then froze at his own thoughts, 'where the devil did that come from?' Sombra didn't particularly like Pinkie, but over the course of the time he had spent with her, he gotten used to the things that used to annoy him. Her snort when she laughed hard enough, her strange ability to stretch to frightening proportions and even her obscene spurts of song.

"We're here," she told him, breaking him out of his thoughts. His eyes widened as he realized they were at the library, which they had only left less than an hour ago. When Sombra gave her a questioning look, she sighed. "You can go inside if you want," she told him, "I think I've had enough of Hearts and Hooves Day." Before he could protest, she opened the door, dragging him in with her, her iron grip reduced to a simple hold.

"Pinkie?" Twilight asked in a surprised tone, "What are you two doing back so early?" Pinkie gave no reply and walked out, leaving a somewhat stunned Sombra. "What in Equestria did you say to her?" she exclaimed once Pinkie was out of the library.

"I didn't do anything!" he defended, earning a head shake from Twilight, "I didn't! If anyone's to blame, it's because of Baritone!" Twilight's eyes widened as she recognized the name Sombra told her.

"Baritone?" she said incredulously, "Rarity told me about him! But, wait, I thought he moved to Canterlot a couple years ago?" Sombra nodded.

"And he came back," he told her, "with a new marefriend." Twilight's eyes widened in horror and shock, then put a hoof to her mouth.

"Poor Pinkie," she murmured to herself, "she must have been heartbroken!" Sombra let out a snort, earning a sharp look from Twilight.

"Please," he said, "she could do way better than some stallion who can't keep his promises." The alicorn's eyebrows raised upwards, then narrowed her eyes as they fell.

"Did you tell her that?" she asked, a growl rising in her throat. Sombra gave her a blank stare, then quirked a brow upwards.

"Why in the name of Tartarus would I do that?" Twilight smacked a hoof to her forehead, then pulled it down her face.

"You're an idiot," she said, then walked away from him.

"Where are you going?" he called after her, "Aren't you going to go make her feel better?" Twilight shook her head.

"I can't be the one thing that she needs," she told him, earning a strange look from him.

"And what would that be?" he inquired, narrowing his eyes. She gave him a sly smile and raised her eyebrows up.

"The comfort from a handsome stallion," she said, trotting up the stairs. Sombra sat there, totally stunned, for a few moments.

"Do you really think I'm handsome?" he asked flirtatiously, waggling his eyebrows. Twilight's face turned bright scarlet and she stuck her tongue out as she gagged.

"In your dreams, crystals for brains!" she exclaimed over her shoulder as she dashed up the stairs. When the alicorn left him alone, Sombra lost himself in his thoughts.

'How am I going to make Pinkie feel better?' he thought to himself, then remembered the sly look Twilight had given him, 'No! Never that!' The idea sent shivers down his spine and he fought back the bile that jumped up his throat. He thought back to earlier that day, trying to think of something that might pull Pinkie out of her sadness.

"What I'd give to get one of those Rosepetal Cupcakes they sell to stallions for their special someponies!" Sombra's eyes widened as Pinkie's statement from earlier resonated through his head. Although he hated this holiday with a fiery passion, he knew that if Pinkie were to be depressed, he would have a new reformer assigned and he knew the other mares didn't put up with him half as much as Pinkie did.

With a sigh, he held up a hoof to form the shape of half of a megaphone. "Twilight!" he called, "You wouldn't happen to have any bits on you, do you?"

* * *

Pinkie sat at the cafe's table for two, her head slumped against the red table. She had attempted to come back to Sugarcube Corner, but Mrs.Cake had sent her back out. Despite her many protests, her employer wouldn't have any of it and told her to try again. She had spent the last hour at the table, moping.

'Now what do I do?' she thought glumly, looking around at the happy couples that surrounded her. She saw that Noteworthy and Cherry Berry had pulled their next to each other and were snuggling into one another. Next to them, was Lucky and Rose, nuzzling their muzzles. She might as well turn green, she realized, looking back down at the table to prevent her sorrows from growing.

"Ma'am?" asked the waiter, causing her to look up. He looked her up and down, then sniffed snidely. "You're going to have to give up your table; we have couples waiting, as I'm sure you know." Pinkie glanced over the waiter's shoulder and saw that it was Baritone and Bell, each waiting expectantly for the table to open up. Her heart constricted and her lower lip quivered. She realized that they couldn't see her, but that when she got up, they would.

Pinkie nodded, then proceeded to get up from the table, her need for discretion being reduced to nothing. "Beg pardon," said a familiar voice, "but I believe that table is reserved for two?" Pinkie whipped around in surprise and her eyes widened as she saw Sombra make his way over to the table, carrying a small pink bag in his mouth.

"Sombry?" she asked incredulously, "What are you doing here?" He placed the bag down on the table and then leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. Her face went bright red as her jaw dropped in pure shock.

"I'm teaching that stallion a lesson," he whispered in her ear as he pulled away. Her blush didn't let up, but she got over her initial shock. "Sorry I'm late," he said, making sure everyone around them could hear, "I was busy getting you a gift."

"Oh, dear!" the waiter exclaimed, "I apologize, sir! I did not realize she was waiting for you!" Sombra waved a hoof in dismissal, causing the waiter to relax, but only slightly.

"It's quite fine," he assured, then put a foreleg around Pinkie, causing her to blush even more, "I'm just glad I'm here."

"What's the hold up?" asked Baritone as he made his way over, obviously annoyed. He froze in surprise when he saw Sombra and Pinkie next to one another. "Pinkie?" he said incredulously, then glanced at Sombra, "Who is this you're with?" Sombra pulled Pinkie closer, then put his chin on top of her head.

"Is this the stallion you told me about earlier?" he asked her, giving her a knowing look. Pinkie caught on to what he was playing at and nodded, feigning sadness. "I thought as much," he said, releasing Pinke from his hold. He stepped up to Baritone, who was nearly half his size.

"W-what did she s-say about m-me?" Baritone asked, obviously frightened by Sombra's towering height. Sombra leaned in close, then narrowed his eyes in scrutiny.

"That you broke things off with her and went to Canterlot," he said calmly, then growled, "then got a new marefriend, even though you said that you wanted to tie the knot." Baritone's ears flattened against his head in fear, then gulped.

"Bari, what is he talking about?" Bell asked as she made her over to the table. Baritone's eyes darted from Bell to Sombra to Bell again as he began to sputter uncontrollably.

"If you propose tonight, you better be serious this time," Sombra whispered to the blue stallion, causing Baritone to freeze. "Oh, nothing!" Sombra said to Bell, "I'm sure you can talk about it over dinner tonight!" As the waiter ushered out the couple, Sombra turned back to see Pinkie staring at him in pure shock.

"That was the most amazing thing I've ever seen in my life," she said, still in shock.

"Well, he deserved it," Sombra said, sitting down on the side of the table, "that's only a part of my gift to you, however." Pinkie's eyes trailed over to the pink bag on the table and she looked at Sombra for clarification to open it. He nodded, to which she immediately grabbed it and opened it up, her eyes widening in shock as she froze.

"Sombra..." she said, tears coming to her eyes, "When did you... I can't even..." Pinkie slowly pulled out a small cupcake, bearing a pink wrapper with bright red hearts. The cupcake itself was pink and bore red icing shaped into the shapes of rose petals, a small heart candy in the center of it.

"Oh, Tartarus, are you going to cry over a cupcake?" he groaned. He was caught by surprise when Pinkie ran around the table to hug him, but not in her usual, iron grip. It was a simple hug, her forelegs wrapping around his body completely. Sombra's face turned bright red as he tried to process Pinkie's "friendliness" and it only grew worse when she snuggled her head into his neck.

"Thank you," she whispered, pulling away from him. Forcing his abashed face to turn back to it's normal color, he cleared his throat awkwardly.

"Well, you're no fun to have around when you're depressed," he told her. Pinkie blinked, then smiled widely. "What are you grinning about?" he asked, slightly annoyed.

"You think I'm fun!" she said, giggling as she did, causing Sombra to frown. She picked up the cupcake from the table and then looked at Sombra. She pulled out the candy heart in the middle of the icing and grinned cheekily. "Did you get this one on purpose?" she asked, waggling her eyebrows. Sombra snatched the heart away from her and froze as he read the inscription on it.

KISS ME

"I didn't get to choose!" he defended, only making Pinkie's grin wider, "Blame your boss! She's the one who chose it!" She laughed as she remembered how Mrs.Cake wanted Sombra and Pinkie to be together, and how she had attempted to set them up on multiple occasions. She giggled and leaned over and kissed him on the cheek, causing him to freeze.

"That was for earlier," she said with a giggle, then brushed her nose against his, "And this, is for your gift." She planted a kiss on his lips, causing all the hair on Sombra's head to stick straight up. She pulled away and relished in the surprise that took over his features, enjoying his blush a lot more than she should have. After a moment of stunned silence, he bared his fangs at her and narrowed his eyes.

"Damn you, Pinkie..." he growled as she giggled at him, "I'll destroy you!" She laughed and closed her eyes as she smiled.

"Happy Hearts and Hooves Day to you, too!" she said, hugging him.

Author's Note:

OH MY GOSH I LOVE THIS PAIRING SO MUCH!

Sorry, had to get that out of my system! Yeah, I fell in love with this pairing because of the oh-so-brillaint RainbowBob! Go look at his works and favorite them! He deserves it!

Also, the song I wrote for this one-shot was original and a spur of the moment creation, so if it seems jumpy and random, it's because I suck at songwriting. Anywhoodles, because it is the most popular Sombra pairing, I snuck in a little TwiBra, just cause I can.

Ultimate Romance Mix(AKA Songs I listened to while writing this):
-"Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" by Elton John
-"Thousand Years" by Christina Perri(Part 1 & 2)
-"You'll Be In My Heart" by Phil Collins
-"Kiss The Girl" from The Little Mermaid
-"I Won't Say I'm In Love" from Hercules
-"It Started With You Smile" by MandoPony
-"Something There" from Beauty and The Beast
-"True Love" by P!nk

Starting to see a pattern, anyone?

Anyway, a very special thanks to all my faithful readers and followers for inspiring me to write more! I wouldn't have been able to write this if it weren't for your support and love! Have a very great, loving, super duper, Valentine's/Hearts and Hooves/Non-Canon Day!

Comments ( 40 )

Way to go Sombra! You've captured Pinkie Pie's heart for good! Now take good care of her. :heart:

3886384
This story was soooo fun to write and your comment made my day!

I love the song!:pinkiehappy:

This is quite possibly one of the greatest romance one shots I've read on this site. You did a fantastic job, and my heart melted at the end. (Sombra kind reminds me of Mad King Gangrel if you've ever seen FE: awakening. Bravo to you!

3886491 I like the idea of a mad king being an awsome villain, and then turning into a super snarky loner good guy. :twilightsmile:

Yay! I demand more!

I will not be that person:fluttershyouch:.I will not be that person:fluttershbad:.Iwill not be that person:fluttershysad:.I will not be that person:fluttercry:......I WILL BE THAT PERSON!:flutterrage: I DISLIKE THIS COUPLE!!!!:raritydespair:

3886665
Then why are you commenting on the story?

At what point would this story be in "The Not-So-normal Adventures of King Sombra and Pinkie Pie"

3894722
Soon~ I'm only going to reference it, however. I will not address it directly.

You have no idea

3897265 Just check your phone.

That cupcake has nudge Sombra and Pinkie along the right path to happiness and love, eh. It's the simple things in life that makes life vunderful, eh?

Also, King Sombra was awesome with him cheering up Pinkie on a day that fills him with great disdain, eh.

3899915
Yep, Sombry made a good move with Pinkie! Now he just has to make sure he won't lose her!

3900303 You never know. He might screw up, eh. :trixieshiftright:

3901373 Well it is King Sombra, eh. I'm just expecting the worse out of him, and that what makes it fun about him in stories such as these, eh. :trollestia:

3886384 If he doesn't, I wonder what Dark cupcakes taste like.:pinkiecrazy:

I have a hard time seeing where this fits in cannon with your main story...

4087305
It is mentioned, but ignored. It's kinda like in the movie InuYasha 2: Beyond The Looking Glass how InuYasha kisses Kagome and they never address it directly, but it's existence is still there.

4087519 But still super vague, I think I saw the reference actually. It was conincidentaly when I put the main story down to see what happens in this, then picked it back up and the reference was made then and there :twilightsmile:

Somehow I knew your fics were inspired by Rainbow Bob's.:twilightsmile:

Adorable. Absolutely Adorable. I didn't think a pairing like this could be pulled off, and by most anyone else, it cant be. You, however, are not everyone else.

Very well done, cute, and badass Sombra vs asshole ex? Sombra ALWAYS wins.


Seriously, keep these kinda of fics up. Really good. Another nice oneshot might be Sombra proposing to Pinkie, and the slew of thoughts going through his mind.

:yay::twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightsmile::raritywink::twilightsmile::twilightsmile::twilightsmile::yay:

Damn. That made my heart just melt completely...lovely story :pinkiehappy:

LOVE IT!!! But I skipped the Buttonbelle part becausr Spikebelle is my OTP and Button :pinkiehappy:is the enemy.:moustache:

<Insert Dalek voice here> THIS STORY WAS OF UTMOST ADORABLENESS! ANYONE WHO DISAGREES SHALL BE EXTERMINATED!

Seriously, though. This was the most adorable freakin' thing I've ever read. You, ma'am, are officially my favorite writer of all time. This was too cute!! :rainbowkiss:

*Before reading*
Meh, what's the big deal? :applejackunsure:

*After reading*
cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/katheix/default/awww-how-cute--large-msg-120171533786.jpg
I FUCKING LOVE IT

3886389 WHAT!!! No Sinatra on that list?!?!

sombra should destroy baritone and piss on the ashes...:pinkiecrazy:

I.....MUST.....HAVE.....
!!!MOAR!!!:flutterrage::flutterrage::flutterrage:

This was pretty good.....oh who am I kidding this was super sweet and cute. I have never come across this paring before but it's super cute and they work off each other nicely. Good job sir or madam

This is a great love story between reformer and villain I wasn't so sure at the beginning of the story but by the end of it I was hooked. My hooves go out to you amazing writer I appreciate your lovely writing talent looking forward to more.

I really like this pairing too. They really compliment each other really well. I absolutely love this entire series, you did such good thing writing this!

Login or register to comment