• Published 8th Apr 2012
  • 17,080 Views, 1,347 Comments

Song of the Moon - BlackWing



An 1700's era violinist, who is also a werewolf. He find's himself in where else but Equestria

  • ...
93
 1,347
 17,080

Eyes to the Future (30)

Eyes to the Future

As Cloudkicker and I walked along the road towards Ponyville, She couldn't help but stare up at the stars, and the crescent moon above. She seemed mystified by it all, and often stopped to take deep breaths of the night air.


"Magnificent, isn't it?"

"Yeah. I've been out at night plenty, but it never seemed so... astounding, before." She remarked.

"That's because of your heightened senses. Each rustle of leaves, each breeze through the trees, each scent in the air, of grass, wood, and hare, all the stars in the sky, can be seen by your eye, and the moon up above, proclaiming..."

"Proclaiming what?" She asked, seeking an end to the poem.

I shook my head. "It doesn't really matter. The point is, this, all of this, this entire world, when in the shadow's embrace, belongs to us. You, myself, Princess Luna, and whatever other creatures call the night their own. It's something special, something only we can experience. Sure, we could bring others along, but to them, the night would be something they couldn't understand. They would jump at each rustling leaf, shy away from each shadow, and shriek at each owl's hoot. To them, it wouldn't be the same." I explained.

"Is it always like that Lark?" Cloudkicker asked.

"To be honest, no. It wasn't always like that. After my first change, other than being overcome by misery, everything felt so real. It's as though I had woken up from a dream. I often traveled in the dark, and would jump at every sound, ever stirring in the night, and since I could hear so much more..." I shook my head. "The point is, you'll get used to it." She nodded in understanding before we both fell into silence.


Eventually, we arrived in Ponyville, before dawn. Cloudkicker's house had been cleaned up, though it still needed some repairs, and she whimpered a bit when she recalled her memories of that night. I think that's when it happened, the moment when it finally sunk in, the moment of clarity that had eluded her through the fog of her mind, being swept away, and caught up in all the things that were happening around her, had finally come to light.. This was her life. Her sister was dead, and she would spend the rest of her days as a creature of the night. Seeing her house must have been the key, because right then and there she broke down crying.


Cloudkicker sat on the ground, tears streaming out of her eyes, raised her gaze to the moon, and still as a pony, howled in misery. Her mournful song rang out through the town, across the fields and into the woods, where it was joined by the calls of all the other night dwellers, creating a symphony of sorrow. She lowered her head to take in another deep breath before letting out another howl, one which I joined. Finally, it ended. The pegasus closed her eyes and took a deep breath to compose herself before standing.

"Lark, I..." I shook my head. No words were needed to understand.

"It's alright. We should probably find a hotel though, as you'll likely want to stay tonight, so we can head back tomorrow morning. That will give you all day to reconcile. As long as you don't transform, you'll be fine, and I'll hear you if you do, since this is a small town."

"Where are you going?"

"I'll be visiting Twilight. If you need me, you can find me at the library."



So, we found a hotel in town, and went our separate ways. Cloud Kicker to see what remains of her old life, and I, to ask a unicorn about a very important issue. A knock on the door brought no response, though my hearing did detect a great deal of grumbling from somewhere on the second floor. After a few patient moments, the door opened, and a bleary eyes Twilight welcomed me in, having been awakened from what few hours of sleep she had gotten that night, likely due to staying up late studying.


She had Spike fetch tea, which we were both thankful for, and we sat to discuss the reason for my visit.

"Twilight, tell me about the Elements of Harmony, as a whole."

"Okay... well, the elements of harmony embody specific valorous traits, honesty, loyalty, kindness, generosity, laughter, and magic. They are the most powerful force of magic in the world, and when wielded properly, can bring about great change, protecting the innocent, defeating evil..." She explained.

"What about... healing the sick?" I asked.

"Yes, I suppose they could be used for that as well, though, most illnesses can be treated by a doctor."

"What of magical illness?"

"Lark, I don't mean to be rude, but it is very early in the morning and I'm not quite up to speed yet, can we get to the point?" Twilight asked, rubbing her hooves on her eyes in an attempt to dispel the bags hanging under them.


"Could the elements of harmony be used to cure lycanthropy? I'm not sure about the equestrian variety, but my curse was brought on by a witch, who gave my bite ancestor power in exchange for his soul. She said that only another soul could be used to break the spell, but if the elements of harmony are the most powerful magic in the world, and they are meant for purification, is it possible that they could cure myself and Cloud Kicker?"

"Well, I suppose they could... yes, I don't see why not. Why do you ask?"

"You know about what happened with the werewolf attack. If... when we catch them, I think the best thing for everyone would be if lycans went extinct, like they were thought to have been for the past couple thousand years. If the elements of harmony can end this curse and bring about peace, then I would seek an end."


"Lark... you'd be giving up your strength, your senses, and your connection with Princess Luna, are you sure you want that?" The unicorn asked.

"I'll have no need for that kind of strength if I can live in peace, and if Luna's love for me is true, then losing my connection to the moon will not change the way she feels. It's a chance at a normal life. When the time comes, I want to take it."


Twilight let out a sigh, rubbed her eyes again, and nodded.

"Many thanks. It's still some time till I'll be ready."

Author's Note:

Whew, it sure has been a while since I updated this one. *Takes a large wooden block, writes 'Writer's' on it, sets it on a stump and proceeds to shoot the hell out of it with every gun imaginable*
Sometimes, this is really hard. Like, 'passing a kidney stone' difficult.