• Published 8th Apr 2012
  • 17,077 Views, 1,347 Comments

Song of the Moon - BlackWing



An 1700's era violinist, who is also a werewolf. He find's himself in where else but Equestria

  • ...
93
 1,347
 17,077

Music (13)

Music

I wound up explaining the whole story. Everything, right from the beginning of memory, all the way up till I found myself in Equestria. I left out the bit with the deer. It hurt, a lot. I was essentially ripping all the bandages off of my heart so I could let them see the wounds, which of course makes them bleed again. Celestia and Luna listened intently, while Twilight had to stop a couple time to keep herself from crying. Since the sisters are immortal, they are no strangers to the pain of loss. I had to take a break a couple times as well. By the end, I was exhausted.

"To think that dark spirits like the one which possessed me could exist in such multitude in your own world, wrecking havoc, and that they would be invited willingly by so many. Now then, it's time for training again. Twilight, perhaps you should take notes on this as well?"


Channeling moonlight through her horn, I fell to the ground and thrashed in pain. Twilight gazed in fear and horror at the pain I was going through as my shape changed. Bones shifting, hair growing, limbs contorting, and my yells of pain.

"Is, is it always that painful?" She asked.

"From what he has told us, yes." Celestia stated.

"Poor Lark, having to go through that on top of everything he's been through. Judging by his reaction, even after five years, he's never gotten used to the pain."

I stood there in my cell, pacing back and forth, growling like a dog who sees a rabbit but can't get it. I was about to dive at the cage when my wolf brain told me, 'No, it's silver moron', so I finally opted for just sitting on the stone floor of the cell. I had already eaten, so I wasn't hungry. I just sat there, listening, watching. They stood on the other side, their eyes scrutinizing me, until Luna spoke up.

"Lark, stay."

She moved towards the cage and unlocked it.

"Stay."

The cage door opened, all three ponies were only a couple feet away. I could close the distance and sink my teeth into them in seconds.

'No. I'm not hungry. I'm not angry.'

'Bite them.'

'No, Luna is the master.'

'You are in charge of your self.'

'No, I tried that, it only brought me pain. I'm letting HER be in charge.'

'What about freedom?'

'That's what she's giving me, freedom from you.'

'I am you.'

'Just another part. If I am in control, then I'm in control of you too, and I say she's the boss. And the boss said stay. I'm staying.'


They all tensed up for a moment when I opened my mouth, but relaxed when they realized it was just a yawn.

"Lark, I'm going to come in the cage now. You are going to stay right where you are and not do anything."

'Good, when she comes in, I can bite her and become the alpha.'

'That will just get me killed. I don't WANT to be the alpha. She told me to stay, I'm staying.' I laid down on the ground, curling up.

"Good boy Lark." Good boy? I'm a good boy? Why does that make me happy?

She began to pat me on the head. Maybe this isn't so bad after all.


"Lark, stay. Twilight is going to come in and do some measurements."

I gave a low growl, not threatening, but voicing of disapproval.

"No! Lay here and let Twilight measure you. She's a friend remember? It's fine. You don't need to be afraid."

'Is that what this is stemming from? The dog is afraid, so it lashes out. It tries to dominate the others so it's at the head of the pack, in order to protect itself. I don't need to protect myself. They're friends. I'm..... safe. No inquisition to run from, no vampires, no monsters, safe? I like this feeling. Safe is nice.'

"There you go, see?" Luna had held my head in place with her front hooves. It was clear she didn't exactly trust me right yet, and I agree, I didn't trust myself either. A couple times I twitched, making everyone tense up, but all in all, I knew I was powerless, so I just laid there and tried not to think about the poking and prodding being done by the scholarly unicorn. She finished and let herself out, before Luna let go and closed the door. They stayed there for the rest of the hour, going over the motions of training, before I fell to the ground and started howling, my form changing back to human. Thankfully, my loose fitting clothes, while not really my style, were big enough to encompass my wolf form, and did not tear when I changed. I laid there for a couple more minutes before I finally got up.

"Lark, when you said it was painful, you weren't kidding. It looked to be absolutely anguishing!" Twilight remarked.

"It is, but nothing compared to when you touched my paws. They're ticklish it seems." I tried making light of it. She giggled a bit.

"Well, I've gotten all the information I need for now, I'm going back to Ponyville to do some research." And with that, the purple unicorn left.

"I've seen all I need to see Lark, I, apologize for being so harsh. When you came to our land as such a danger, and did not make it known immediately, I believed you to have ill intent. I, also may have been.... prejudice.... due to my past experience with my sister's pets. I am sorry." Celestia apologized.

"You have nothing to be sorry for. You were well within your rights, not just as a princess, but as a pony who cares about others."

"Regardless, I will have a room prepared within the castle for you tomorrow. Sleep well."

"Yes, try and get some rest Lark. Goodnight."



The next day, I ate within my cell and was given fresh clothes to change into. I did not mind doing so while watched, among ponies, nudity is no taboo, and I was used to it enough from having my poor defenseless pants torn off time and time again. I was guided to my new room by a guard, and when I opened the door, I was met with surprise. Celestia, Luna, Blueblood, and Cadence were all present, as well as my restored violin.

"But, how?" I asked with a tear in my eye at seeing my beloved instrument.

"Um.... magic?" Cadence said slightly sarcastically. I gave her a hug.

"Thank you so much, you have no idea how much this means....."

"You might want to be careful, I'm getting married in a few months, I wouldn't want my fiance to get jealous." She chuckled, as did the rest.

"Well, thank you all..... perhaps you would like a song?"

"I don't see why not."

Running my hand over my violin, the last aspect of my old life, I felt the wood, the bow, the strings, it was all as perfect as the day it was made. I would have believed it to be brand new if not for the names carved into it with such fine craftsmanship, it could only come from the most skilled instrument makers. Taking my position, I drew my bow, and began to play a song.