• Published 30th Jan 2014
  • 8,163 Views, 776 Comments

The Greatest Show of Kindness - Sonik



A few days after the events of the royal wedding, Twilight gives news to Fluttershy to rat out any changelings she sees. This makes her anxious, so she takes a walk. On this walk, she finds something that she never thought that she would.

  • ...
25
 776
 8,163

Chapter Eighteen: A Severed Family

The Greatest Show of Kindness
Chapter Eighteen: A Severed Family


The night passed to morning, and two royal changelings were laying down on hard stone floor. Rain smashed into the castle walls as it fell from the sky, making a clamorous commotion that rung in their ears. The cell was poorly lit, the only light coming from the gloomy outside.

Chryssy was upset at the fact that she was in this ice-cold prison, not having done anything. Taken from her home, without a trace of evil deeds on her hooves. She had a suppressor over her horn, and her wings were pressed and held down against her carapace with strong bindings. Shackles pinned her to the ground, giving very little range of motion. Her mother was in the same imprisoned position.

“Chryssy? Are you awake?” Chrysalis asked in a tiny whisper, observing her daughter, who laid on her side, facing away from her.

Chryssy’s very sensitive ears picked it up, but she didn’t respond. She sighed, looking through a tiny, barred window on the left wall of the dungeon cell. The rain was peering in through the window, creeping onto her mane and chitin. Rolling over, she gave a glance to her mother, but said nothing.

In her daughter's eyes, Chrysalis could see a deep lamenting sadness, singing a song of misery. Ever since she banished Bumble from the hive, Chryssy had a difficult time even thinking of her mother without getting upset, and now, they were stuck in a tiny, uncomfortable cell together. Chryssy felt that all of the blame was on her mother.

“Chryssy, please speak to me,” Chrysalis requested, putting a hoof over her daughter’s carapace. Chryssy growled lightly, tucking her head into her fore hooves.

“Why should I?” she shot, voice muffled. “I-I h-hate you,” she said. Chrysalis frowned deeply as she heard her daughter’s voice breaking.

“Chryssy, you’re still angry about that? You need to get over it! The past is in the past!”

I don’t c-care! You kn-know they were innocent, but you sent them to their deaths anyway! I’ll never f-forgive you!”

“I didn’t know that they was innocent! Nevertheless, I had three eyewitnesses that claim they saw them committing treason!”

“How can you know that they weren’t lying!? You didn’t see it yourself!”

“It doesn’t matter! You weren’t even there!”

“Mother, those three tormented and beat Bumble up so many times! They hated him so much, and I don’t know why! They blamed Bumble and Flutter just to get rid of them, and you just don’t get it!

By this point, Chryssy’s voice had risen to a shout, and tears rose to her eyes. She shook under her mother’s hoof, putting her mane over her eyes to block out her mother’s face from her eyes.

“Chryssy, they have been my court advisors-in-training for their entire lives! They’ve never once lied to me, and I don’t understand why you’re so insistent on believing so!”

“But, they hated him-“

It doesn’t matter! Everyone has others who hate him or her. That’s a fact of life, and you must learn that!”

“Mother-“

Silence! Your impudence has gone on long enough!”

With that phrase, Chryssy finally broke down. She slammed a fore hoof into the ground, letting out a loud, labored lament. She sobbed, tears streaming down her face and wetting her mane.

“Y-You just d-don’t understand a-anything about me…”

“What are you on about now?”

“You d-don’t g-get it, m-mother! Th-Th-They were my only f-friends, and they're gone now! All of the high in power changelings that you want me to be intimate with are all either jerks, uptight or unpleasant to be around! I just… I hate being a princess…”

“What are you saying to me, young lady?”

“I wish that I could’ve been hatched into a different family! One without you!”

When Chrysalis heard these words from Chryssy’s daughter’s mouth, see was fully speechless. All that she could do was gasp at those words. Her heart became a stormy sea, tossing and turning with every passing moment.

To hear such foolishness, such disrespect, such ignorance from her own daughter enraged her to no end. She was a princess, and she was completely lessening her role as the monarch-to-be.

The other feeling she had was much worse. Her heart was like a priceless antique passed down from generation to generation for hundreds of years, and it was now broken, shattered all over. Tears filled her eyes, threatening to be released. For the countless arguments that she and her daughter had over the past months, never once did she say that she did not want to include herself within the royal family. These words tore her from the inside out.

For a couple of weeks after Bumble’s banishment, Chryssy completely shut out her mother from her life. Once she did begin talking to Chrysalis again, there were no friendly words exchanged, and the level of anger rose and rose every single day it continued. Every word had a tone of hostility to it. It was like they were two different warring countries, and they were launching countless missiles at each other, causing immense damage to the landscapes of their emotions. It only got worse as time went on.

“Ch-Chryssy… How could you say such a thing!? You are a princess, and you are unappreciative of the wonderful things that you have been given in life!”

By this point, Chryssy’s anger was sprouting outward. It leeched off of her, surrounding her entire being. She scrunched her face and bared her fangs behind her unkempt make; staggered breathing ensued. She stood up and faced her mother, letting her see the light glisten from her fangs. Full rage boiled over.

“Yes, I am unappreciative, because I never wanted anything that I have! No amount of money or physical possessions can change the fact that I am completely miserable living as a princess with a mother who doesn’t care about my feelings, who doesn’t care about anybody other than herself or anything other than her own possessions!

“Chryssy-“

Never mind the fact that she is completely content with mindlessly killing her own subjects without any reason other than her juvenile court advisers claim that they saw them committing treachery! Nor does she care about the fact that two of the fully innocent changelings she killed were her daughter’s only friends in the vague existence she lives in, one of them being the boy she loved most!

“I would rather live and die in poverty’s cold embrace than under the collapsed roof of royalty, where I would have to survive every single day living under the rubble of responsibility! I will tolerate you no longer!

Chrysalis stared at her daughter, unable to comprehend her words. Was it the inability to comprehend her talk, or the sinking feeling in her stomach telling her that what she thought was going to happen was going to happen? She blinked a couple of times.

“Princess Chrysalis II of the Obsidian changeling hive, what are you saying to me?

“I hereby, from this day forward, abdicate my role as Princess to the heir of the Obsidian throne. As my final act of royalty, I formally emancipate from the royal family, and, therefore, revoke my title as Princess of the throne.”

"You cannot do that! You may not do that! I will not let you commit such… such… travesties!

Oh? I already have."

With that, Chryssy turned herself around and plopped herself back down to a laying position. A hearty “hmph!” sound bounced off the walls of the cell, hitting Chrysalis’ ears with the emotional force of an atomic bomb.

Chryssy-“

Enough from you two!” a loud voice shouted. A wall of sound slammed into the wall in front of their cell, surprising Chrysalis and barely phasing Chryssy.

“Huh?” Chryssy murmured, turning her head.

From around the door leading into the dungeon came Princess Luna, sparkling mane and tail flowing in the nonexistent wind. Chryssy didn’t respond, and Chrysalis tried to put on her best poker face, but found that Chryssy’s words were too bearing on her emotions. The tears that had collected in her eyes started to leak onto her cheeks. She shut her eyes as tightly as she possibly could to stop the tears, but couldn’t.

“You two have clashed thine tongues much too long!” Luna voiced, walking to the front of their cell. “Especially you, young one,” she said, her voice softening.

“I was just speaking my mind. I-“ Chryssy started.

Silence! Thy tongue is too sharp for thy own ability to speak!” Luna interrupted, clearly frustrated. Chryssy shut up after that. “You two hath speech unfathomable for family! We listened to thine verbal warfare from within the hallway, but could not understand everything thou said. What is it that troubles the both of thine hearts so?”

“I-I refuse to speak to you,” Chrysalis responded with a break in her voice.

“Very well. Dost thou have anything to say to us, child?”

“Will you listen to what my answer is?”

“I asked thee not of a question in response. I asked thee what it is that troubles thy heart.”

“My mother doesn’t believe or understand anything that I say to her.”

“What dost thee mean?”

“A few months ago, right after the invasion, she summoned my only two friends to the court to be tried for treason. No matter how many times I told her that they were being falsely accused, she didn’t listen to a word I said and executed both of them, right in front of me! They were my only friends, and she doesn’t understand how lonely I am! I don’t have any incentive to continue living like this, and I certainly don’t want to live with a mother who just doesn’t care about anything but herself and her possessions!”

Luna laid down to Chryssy’s level and gave her a gentle stare. Chryssy turned her head to see a deep frown on the lunar goddess’ face. Tears were once again on the verge of falling, so Luna got close to the jail cell and put a hoof on Chryssy's head as softly as she could.

“We fully understand thee, child. We know the feeling of having dismay towards thy family, a sense that We regrettably have had experience with. Hast thou heard of the tale of 'Nightmare Moon?'”

“Of course.”

We were Nightmare Moon. We allowed the hatred and envy towards my sister to consume ourselves, and it cost us everything – our possessions, our friends, and our very own sister. We can relate to the feeling of thine, and it pains us so that a child as young as theeself feels this way towards thy mother. How old art thee?”

“I’m nine-years-old.”

“Thou art much younger than We were when We were banished to the moon, and thus, We can’t fathom the difficulty of thy position. We imagine it to be a terrible pain in the heart.”

“You wouldn’t be able to understand the intensity.”

“Most likely not.We do understand one thing, though: You two must figure out a way to fix thine relationship, lest thou become polluted with hatred like We were all those years ago.”

Luna stood up from her laying position, giving a small, hopeful smile to the two changelings. She eyed both of them individually before speaking.

“A pair of royal guards will return in three hours to bring thee into the court. I suggest thou calmeth thineselves before then.”

With that, Luna exited the dungeon block. Chryssy rolled to her side and put her hooves under her head in a pillow-like fashion in order to fall asleep. She closed her eyes in wait of going in front of the court.


In the small cottage just outside Ponyville, Fluttershy was packing a saddlebag with small bags of bits and rabbit food in preparation for her trip to Canterlot. After finishing, she slung the saddlebag over her side and opened her front door. After exiting the abode, she found Angel, her white bunny friend gnawing on a carrot from a small garden on the side.

“Angel Bunny?” she asked softly.

The rabbit looked up at her with an eyebrow raised. She almost always told him in advance if she was taking a trip, so he knew that she had a request. He raised one eyebrow and gave a soft chitter.

“I want you to come with me to Canterlot. I have an important job for you.”

Angel gave a soft nod, finishing off the carrot he was holding. Discarding the root of the carrot, he hopped over to her and into her mane, peering over the top of her head.

“Good boy, Angel.”

With newfound courage and determination in her heart that she never felt before, she began her trek to the Ponyville train station.

“I’m going to save my baby boy!”

Author's Note:

Hey, did you like this? If so, give it a thumbs up and comment (if you wish to do so) about what you liked! If you didn't, dislike it and give some (constructive) criticism as to what you didn't like or thought was off! Enjoy your reading! :D