• Published 30th Jan 2014
  • 512 Views, 6 Comments

Rise Of The Shadow Walkers - Robobrony



This is the tale of an alicorn who makes the discovery of a new kind of magic in the world. But his discovery is not well met by others.

  • ...
1
 6
 512

Chapter Seven: A Change Of Scenery

Chapter Seven: Change of scenery

Time passed normally for the alicorn couple. Sunflare had fully changed now and had a set of curved horns, slit irises, and bat like wings much like Stardust. Together, they both learned how the new shadow magic worked and what they could do with it. In time, they were able to build a wooden cottage for themselves next to the lake they found and were able to feed on the plants around the area. There wasn’t much for them to do other than talk, walk, eat, sleep, or practice with their powers.

Nearly a year had gone by now and they’ve managed to survive so far. There were still the problem of having to deal with some of the dangers, but with their new found abilities, they were easy enough to deal with. Sunflare and Stardust decided to name the rock crab creature they saw before a rock crab. The little green creatures they ran into before they called leaf cutters because of how they wore leaves for clothing. They were proving to be more bothersome than scary now lately.

And the fish they agreed to call a rainbow lake fish. They learned soon after the lake was so clear you could see clear to the bottom of it from the shore and see all the fish and water creatures swimming about, as well as the many colorful plants that grew in it. Their new home was proving to be not so bad and had soon grown accustomed to it.

The bigger news came later in the morning. Sunflare emerged from the wooden cottage and greeted Stardust as he was practicing with his shadow magic. “Good morning Stardust.”

Stardust looked back and greeted Sunflare with a smile of his own. “Good morning Sunflare, I hope you slept well last night.”
Sunflare giggled in response. “Considering we hardly got any sleep at all, not too bad. But….Stardust…I….” She hesitated in her words a moment.

Stardust looked concerned as he ceased his practicing and turned to Sunflare. “What is it Sunflare? Are you okay?”

“I…I think I’m pregnant?” Sunflare suddenly said and gave a small smile.

Stardust’s eyes widened. “P…P…Pregnant? Are….are you sure?”

Sunflare nodded. “I think I’ve been getting morning sickness and have been feeling a bit more hungry than usual. Plus, I’m sure you’ve noticed my belly growing a bit in size.”

“I…I thought you were just getting fat.” Stardust said.

Sunflare gave a flat look. “Fat? Really?”

Stardust started sweating nervously. “Um…well…I mean…what I meant was….”

Sunflare cut him off with a chuckle. “It’s all right Stardust, I know what you meant.” She then looked a bit nervous. “So…what do you think…about me being pregnant?”

“What do I think?” Stardust parroted. “I…I think that’s great!” He declared with a wide smile. “I’m going to be a dad!” He zipped over to Sunflare and hugged her close. “This is great, we’re going to be parents!”

Sunflare sighed in relief. “Thank the heavens, I thought you might not take the news so well.”

Stardust pulled back from the hug and looked Sunflare in the eyes with his smile. “Sunflare, I love you. I’m not going to leave you a single mother, especially not in a place like this.”

“You’re right, I don’t know what I was worried about.” Sunflare smiled. “Although, what you said just now makes me think.”

Stardust cocked a brow in confusion. “What I just said? What do you mean?”

“About raising a child in this place. It isn’t safe.” Sunflare pointed out.

“Well, where are we supposed to go? We can’t go back to Trotttingsdale, we were banished.”

“True, but we could go further into the forest and try to find the end to it. Or at least find another place to come out of it that’s away from Trottingsdale and try to find another town where we can settle down.”

Stardust hummed in thought. “You make a good point. I guess we could try. I think that second option would be best. We don’t know how big this forest is exactly or what other monsters might be deep in the forest.”

“Another good point.” Sunflare pointed a hoof at Stardust. “Well then, I think to make it easier, we should fly over the forest so we can see ahead of time where the edge is and when to turn away from Trottingsdale.”

“Too bad, I’m really going to miss this place.” Stardust said in a wistful manner.

Sunflare rolled her eyes and giggled. “So when should we leave?”

“I think the sooner the better. Let’s leave first thing in the morning tomorrow after breakfast.”

Sunflare gave a smile. “All right, sounds like a plan.” And so it was decided to leave the forest and try to find a new place where they could raise their foal in peace.

The next morning, they set out as planned and headed back in the direction of Trottingsdale. This time, they flew over the forest instead of walking through it. It didn’t take as long this time. When the town came into sight, they flew down below the canopy and started going to the left in order to avoid being seen by any of the ponies of the town they once called home.

They walked for miles before taking to the air again once they were far from the town and exited the forest completely. They stayed close to it for a while before heading off away from the forest to find another town. It was mostly open area as they trotted. A few trees scattered here and there along a dirt road through the open plains.

Spring had come so there were plenty of flowers growing to decorate the usually green landscape. Many birds and other animals scurried about their business. “Wow, it sure is a beautiful day, huh Stardust?” Sunflare asked.

“I’ll say, and this area is gorgeous.” Stardust said as he looked the area over. They decided to move to walking again and came in for a landing along the road they were following from above.

“Maybe we’ll be coming up on a real nice town soon.”

“I hope so, I’m getting tired.” Stardust hung his head with a tired expression plastered on his face.
Sunflare giggled. “Oh come on lazy flank. It hasn’t been that hard.”

Stardust gave a smile in response. He looked and perked his head up immediately. “Hey look, I think we just found one.” Stardust pointed a hoof ahead of them where stone walls awaited them. There was an archway the dirt road lead to and two earth ponies in metal armor standing guard on either side holding spears. “Looks like we found a place. I just hope they’re more friendly and accepting of us.”
Sunflare had a look of uncertainty. “I don’t know, those guards seem rather intimidating.”

“Well of course they seem intimidating, they’re guards, they have to look tough as a deterrent against any bad ponies. Come on.” Stardust started trotting up to the archway.

Just as the two were about to enter through the archway, the guards crossed their spears to bard the path. “Halt, who goes there?” The left guard asked in a gruff voice.

The two alicorns flinched back at first from the sudden blockage. Stardust managed to collect himself first. “Um…greetings good sirs. My name is Stardust, and this is my companion and wife, Sunflare. We would like to gain entrance to your city if we may.”

The guard on the right responded. “State your business stranger.”

Sunflare responded this time. “We’ve been traveling a long way. We’re looking for a new place to call home and thought maybe we could live here. Is that all right?”

The two guards shared a glance before turning back to the two ponies. “You two seem different from other ponies, what sort of pony are you?”

“Why we’re alicorns.” Stardust answered.

“Nice try, we have alicorns in the city. You look nothing like an alicorn.” The right guard said.

“We do?” Stardust asked. It was then he realized his new appearance and Sunflare’s. “Oh, right. Um….well you see, we were alicorns but…um…due to a spell, our appearance has changed. I promise we aren’t here to cause any trouble. Please, may we enter?”

“You’ll have to speak to our guard captain.” The left guard said. They withdrew their spears. “Follow me.” The guard began marching to and through the archway.

Stardust and Sunflare trotted to catch up and followed the guard through. The town they entered had many homes of wood and stone, some with straw roofs. Some of the chimney’s had smoke coming out of them indicating fires. The streets were a bustle with all kinds of activity. Ponies going about their business buying and selling goods and a few foals playing with one another in the streets. Every pony seemed happy as smiles were everywehere. However, it soon changed as Sunflare and Stardust passed by. The sounds of the streets died down as all eyes fell upon the two until only the sound of their hooves on the cobble stone roads could be heard and the clanking of the guard’s armor echoed.

Whispers began to grow as well. “Who are they?”

“What in the world are those two?”

“I’ve never seen ponies like them before, where did they come from?”

“They look so odd.”

Comments such as these and more could be heard sometimes as they walked through the town.

Sunflare sidled up to Stardust nervously as she looked around. “I don’t like how they’re looking at us.” She whispered to Stardust.

“Now Sunflare, we…we have to keep in mind we look different now.” Stardust reasoned. “These ponies seem…nice. I’m sure once they get to know us it won’t be so bad.”

“I hope so.” Sunflare retorted. Eventually, they came to a building of solid stone with a wooden door. There were metal bars on the windows. The guard approached the door and opened it, then trotted in and waited for the two.

Just as they entered, the guard shut the door behind them and went up to a wooden desk where another stallion sat. He had a rather large build and a scar across his left eye. His eyes were steely blue and his coat was a dark shade of red. His mane and tail was a mix of dark green and black. He wore steel fancy looking armor. “What is it private?” The stallion asked in a gruff tone. His face stoney like a rock.

The guard saluted. “Sir, these two approached the gates and claim they wish to try and find a home for themselves here.”

The stallion turned his attention to the two in question.

Stardust flinched back slightly as he felt the eyes of the stallion on him. “And just who are you two?” The stallion asked.

Stardust cleared his throat before speaking. “Greetings good sir, I am Stardust and this is my wife, Sunflare.”

Sunflare nodded. “Hello.”

Stardust continued. “We would like very much if we could try living in your fine town if we may.”

The stallion never took his eyes off the two. He stood up from his chair and came out from behind his desk as he started circling the two. “And what are you exactly? We’ve never seen ponies like you before?”

Sunflare answered nervously. “Well…we…used to be alicorns but….um.”

Stardust continued. “You see sir, I’m a scientist at heart. I love learning about things and…what you see about us is the result of me discovoring a new kind of magic I dubbed shadow magic. Our bodies changed to adjust to the new magic we’ve acquired.”

The stallion stopped in front of the two. “New magic huh? Prove it.”

“Gladly.” Stardust chirped with a smile. He focused his shadow magic and made a simple shadow tendril rise up from the ground in front of him as it waved about lazily. “See, what do you think?”

The stallion stared with a cocked brow, showing no signs of being stunned or impressed.

Stardust chuckled nervously at the awkward silence. “Heh heh, um…*ahem* well, yes. Um….”

“Shadow magic huh?” Said the stallion interrupting Stardust. “Hmm…if you wish to live here, you’ll need to speak with the king. Any and all new ponies have to go through me first and I evaluate them to make sure they aren’t a threat to his highness. If you make even one wrong move against the king, I will have you both put down. Understood?” He furrowed his brow in a small glare.

Despite it being small, it was enough to make Stardust lose his control and the tendril simply faded out while he and Sunflare flinched back slightly and nodded silently.

“Good. Follow me.” He turned to the guard. “Return to your post private.”

The guard saluted and left.

“You two wait here.” The captain said.

“Um…sir, what is your name if I may ask?” Stardust asked carefully.

“Ironhide.” Replied the stallion. He went to another room through an archway and came back about a minute later with four guards. “All right, let’s go.”

The four guards surrounded Stardust and Sunflare and ushered them to follow the captain. Sunflare and Stardust did so nervously as they headed back out of the building and back out onto the streets. A group of ponies stood before the place staring at it. Ironhide stopped and looked the citizens over. “Move along ponies, nothing to see here.”

One of the citizens, a stallion stepped forward. “Ironhide, sir, who are the two new faces?”

“What are they?” A mare asked.

“Are they dangerous?” Another asked. Soon every pony started shooting off questions causing a big uproar.

Sunflare and Stardust huddled together with worry.

“SILENCE!” Ironhide shouted. Just like that, the crowd fell silent. “Listen, as of right now, I see no reason to believe they are a threat. They have stated they wish to make a home for themselves here and nothing more. Now go about your business and don’t worry.” The ponies murmured something to themselves before finally dispersing. Ironhide gave a heavy sigh before turning to the two ponies that were the cause of the ruckus. “All right you two, move it.” He began marching and the guards ushered Stardust and Sunflare along.

Through the town as they walked, the couple was getting odd looks and heard more whispers. “Just ignore them Sunflare.” Stardust said as he placed a hoof over her back to try and comfort her.

“Yeah, no problem.” Sunflare retorted sarcastically.

The walk lasted a few minutes and were soon on the approach of a large stone castle that sat at the center of the town. Many guards patrolled the castle grounds and were stationed at the doors. Stardust and Sunflare looked up in awe at the place. “Whoa, this place is bigger than the castle back in Trottingsdale.” Sunflare commented.

The guards at the door were unicorns that wore simple cloaks. They lit up their horns and opened the door for their captain. The group continued inside. It was just as impressive inside and was rather spacious. Paintings, stain glass windows, and carpets decorated the halls and rooms. They soon arrived at the throne room where an alicorn stallion sat. He had a white coat with an orange beard, mane, and tail. The mark on his flank was that of a crown resting on a pink heart. He wore a red cape with white trims and fancy red garments.
The alicorn king smiled as the captain approached. “Captain Ironhide, a pleasure as always.”

Ironhide bowed. “Sire.” The other guards bowed as well. Seeing them bow, Stardust and Sunflare quickly did the same thing.

The king chuckled. “Hm hm, now come on Ironhide, no need for such formalities after all.” His voice was similar to that of a loving caring father. “Now what can I do for you today?”

Ironhide rose from his bow. “My king, two….ponies have come requesting that they be allowed to make a home here.”

“Oh? Do tell.” The king turned his attention to the two ponies in question. “Well now, you two are certainly an interesting looking pair. What sort of species of pony are you?” He approached slowly.

Stardust and Sunflare rose before Stardust spoke. “Sire, my name is Stardust and this is my wife, Sunflare. We’ve had a long tiring journey really and we were looking for a place to call home. My wife is pregnant and we were wanting a nice place to live. As for our species….we used to be alicorns.”

The king raised a brow at this. “Used to be?” He asked in a rising tone.

“It’s kind of a long story.” Sunflare informed.

“I have time, would care to inform me on how you went from alicorns to what you are now?” The king asked with a warm smile. “And why are you looking for a home? Didn’t you have one before?”

The couple looked to each other first, then back to the king as Stardust began. He told of the town they originally came from and of how things worked. Stardust informed of the new magic he discovered and of their banishment from their hometown for it, then of their adventures in the forest they were banished too and finally of finding themselves where they are now. “So you see your majesty, we had quit a journey and would very much like a safer place to settle down to raise our foal.”

“So what do you say, may we stay?” Sunflare asked with a puppy dog pout and sad eyes.

The king gave a mock look of hurt. “Ooh, right in the heart. Please don’t make that face, I can’t take it.”

Ironhide rolled his eyes at the kings antics.

“Who am I to deny such a pretty mare in distress. Very well, there are a few unoccupied homes you can have. You two are more than welcome to stay in my city. I am Solaris, king of this little town known as Hoofington.”

Stardust and Sunflare smiled widely. “Thank you your majesty.” They said together and bowed.

Solaris gave another chuckle. “Now then, Ironhide, would you mind escorting them to the dining hall so they can get something to eat, I’m sure they must be hungry after their journey.”

“You are too kind sire.” Stardust said.

Ironhide bowed his head. “Yes your majesty. You two follow me then.” He turned and started walking. Stardust and Sunflare gave another bow before following.

“Can you believe it? We found a new home.” Sunflare said with a smile.

“I know, this is great. I didn’t mind living in the forest but it does feel good to be back among civilization.” Stardust added.

“Tell me about it. I was getting tired of having to use leaves to…well, you know.” Sunflare gave a sheepish smile.

Stardust chuckled in response. “And don’t even get me started on having to figure out what plants were safe and what weren’t. I swear I thought those spots would never go away.”

“Aw, but those green spots looked so good on you.” Sunflare joked.

“Very funny.” Stardust said playfully. Thus, Stardust and Sunflare have found a new place to call home. However, judging on the way the citizens were acting, they may have a hard time being accepted. Will they be able to stay, or will they end up being chased out? Only time will tell.

Author's Note:

Hey guys, sorry I haven’t been uploading chapters so much. I’ve been having a little trouble as of late coming up with stuff. I’ll try to get more out sooner. Thank you all for your support and everything. I really appreciate it.