• Published 1st Feb 2014
  • 19,097 Views, 181 Comments

The Eagle Is Sealed - Cyanblackstone



Now that first contact is finished with, now what? Unfortunately, things don't go as anyone had planned-- but today was just that kind of day; the kind where everything was unexpected.

  • ...
20
 181
 19,097

Intermission-- Instant Xenologist, Just Add Alien

Author's Note:

Just a short interlude explaining a couple plot points that'll pop up later. Perhaps (hint, hint) in the next story? After this, there will be one more chapter before the next story, which will go from the oneshot-mode these have currently been in to a more traditional chapter style.
Enjoy!

--Cyan

As Charlie took a big gulp from his glass of water, his nerves began to calm. He was still plenty nervous, but his frazzled mind was returning to rational thought. Now that that particular ordeal was over, it was probably time—Time to talk to the higher-ups. Shoot.

One of the aides came in with a telephone. “It’s the President, Mr. Duke,” he said calmly, probably used to taking calls from the rich and powerful to direct them to others.

“Yes, right, give me the phone,” Charlie said numbly. He put the proffered device up to his ear and stammered, “Yes, Mr. President?”

“Mr. Duke,” President Nixon said calmly. “I’ve been informed there’s an unusual situation with Apollo 11. Would you care to inform me in greater detail then I could get from the television networks?”

“Of course!” Charlie exclaimed, before filling him in on the current situation as best he could. “—Now, if you were to talk to Neil, he could probably tell you exactly what’s going on up there,” Charlie finished.

“Thank you for the suggestion, Mr. Duke, I’ll do just that in a moment,” the President said. “Before I do, however, there’s something I need to tell you. When Apollo 11 splashes down, I’m going to be going to meet them—though I won’t tell you what ship, in case the line is tapped.” His voice was humorous, but the possibility was very real. “After the Eagle gets off the Moon and meets with Columbia, I’m bringing you to me. As of now, you and Neil are the two xenologists with real-life experience. I want one of you with me, and, well, Mr. Armstrong certainly can’t be here for his own landing!”

“Ah... xenologists?” Charlie questioned.

“Oh! A scientist or person who studies or interacts with extraterrestrials, Mr. Duke. It’s not exactly a large field—before today, no one had actually met an alien and had proof of it. I expect the field will grow tremendously in the next few months—but I digress. You are currently the only person on Earth with any experience with real-life alien contact.

“There will be a car waiting outside for you after you’re done. It will take you to the airport, where a flight will take you to Los Angeles and a second will bring you to Hawaii. You’ll be met there and taken to the ship I will be traveling on as well. All your needs will be provided for, and you’ll be compensated for your work. Any questions or complaints?”

“No, sir!” Charlie said excitedly. “I’m happy to help.”

Neil’s voice came over the line, and Charlie diverted his attention back to the camera for a second. “Houston, what do we do now? We have only seven hours of air left now.”

“Um, well, one second,” Charlie stalled, returning to his phone call.

“One more thing, Mr. Duke,” Nixon said.

“Yes, Mr. President?”

“I want you to take the cameras off the air; let the news networks stew over this for a bit while we get some real work done. Then, I want you to put me on the line with Mr. Armstrong. Can you do that?”

“Yes sir, I can,” Charlie affirmed. He took off his headset, setting it on the desk. “We’re going to take you off the air first,” He said to Neil. “And there’s someone who wants to speak with you.” He placed the phone next to the headset, turning it on speakerphone, and then turned to go take the mission off live television.
His mind, meanwhile, reeled at the fact that the President was taking him off the mission to confer with him—personally. That and the fact, apparently, he was the second qualified xenologist in the history of the human race. Lots of records, tons of precedent—and piles of regulations, Charlie suspected—no, knew—were being broken today.
Today was just one of those days.