• Published 30th Jan 2014
  • 2,885 Views, 88 Comments

Lyra's Secret - Senyu



Lyra has a secret. One that her life as a human reseacher depends on and could ruin everything she had worked for if it gets out. But she is not going to let this golden opportunity of furthering her research slip away, and by any means necessary.

  • ...
7
 88
 2,885

Undesireable Outcomes

Three day's earlier...




Lyra stood motionless a short distance from the trail, unable to fully process exactly what she was seeing. She had stumbled across it while on her walk through Whitetail Woods, one of the few activities lately that she would do besides playing her lyre that seemed to help. She felt better out in the woods away from other ponies, free to let her thoughts run wild and without prejudice. To roam and blur the lines between her world and the one she believed in. It was where she could truly be herself, even if it had to be when she was alone.

But right now she wasn’t alone.

The forest smelt of old trees and fresh plants, along with the pure scent of rain as the water droplets dried a top the foliage they rested on. The pegasi had scheduled a light rain today, ending around the afternoon so the evening sun could dry it all. The woods had a pleasant and refreshing smell to it after the rain shower, the mixture of dew and moss bringing out the smells of the forest vividly. So when she had picked up a peculiar smell that had wafted by her nose —a smell that most definitely did not belong in her now well-traveled forest— that she paused and craned her neck in further search. It was familiar and faint, so much that she nearly assumed she had simply imagined it. But when she caught another whiff of it, she began turning her head about to find the source of the scent. And when she saw what emanated the smell, tucked away in the woods only a few stone’s throws away from the path, she curiously picked her way between the overgrown plants to inspect it.

She had mistaken its form as an unconscious pony lying down when she had first spotted it, half hidden between tall ferns with only parts of its body exposed. When she realized whoever it was appeared to be eerily still as she approacged, she worriedly rushed the rest of the distance to see if they were alright. But before she could ask aloud if they were alright, she froze in her tracks at the sight of a very un-pony like appendage sticking out covering ferns.

Laid gently a top of the forest moss, was a hand. It wasn’t a claw of a griffin, or the fist of a minotaur, but a pink and five fingered human hand.

Lyra’s voice became caught in her throat, making her unable to form audible words as she silently mouthed in disbelief, ’human…

She couldn’t believe it at first, her mind coming to a complete halt as she looked upon the appendage with wide eyes. Every detail about it, from the number of fingers, to the creases in the palm, was exactly how she imagined it would look like. Its soft texture held a glow from the reflection of the sunlight off of the trees and dew. It was almost magical to see it in such a serene setting.

After a minute of staring in awe, she snapped herself out of her trance and hesitantly moved closer to inspect the hand, half thinking that it might disappear on her if she took her eyes of it or blinked. She had to make sure it was real, that it wasn’t her imagination. It simply seemed to good for it to be true after all these years of desperate faith. But her doubts melted away as she gently touched it with her hoof. It was real, and it was warm.

The smile that grew on her face as she gently felt the hand, and the tears that built up in her eyes, were minor expressions of how she felt inside. It was as if a massive weight holding down her chest had suddenly floated away, releasing a flood gate of relief and happiness that filled her from horn to tail. She had to stifle herself at falling to her knees and breaking down there and then, almost unable to control the wave of emotions inside of her as her hoof gently traced the palm. Wiping away a stream of tears that threatened to run down her cheek, she thought to herself still in half disbelief that she would ever think these words in full confidence, They’re real… they’re really real!

She was right. She was right about everything. Humans existed, and she had one right in front of her.

But it was only a hand, a hand was attached to the rest of the body that was hidden beneath large fern leaves. Snapping herself too once again from her shock, she took a step over the hand with wide eyes and a hanging mouth, apprehension filling her at being able to see the rest of the human.

With a held breath she extended her hoof, pulling back on the fern to reveal the rest of the body. And for the second time that day, her voice became caught in her throat with only a whisper of a gasp escaping her lips.

It was a whole human, legs, arms, clothes and all. Everything she thought she knew about them was confirmed as she checked each every little detail she could see, a grin fluttering on her face as her eyes ran up and down the body. She felt torn between shouting with joy or crying in relief, the two emotions pulling her shaky smile as suppressed shudders twitched her body. But what held her attention the most as her eyes observed everything they could see, was the sleeping face of the human. Every curve, every indent, every line, all of it was exactly how she believed humans to look like.

And she simply did not know what to do with herself.

She wiggled with joy, she squeed as quietly as she could, she danced on her hoof tips in excitement, and she finally let a few tears break free from her eyes from all the years of being told she was wrong. When in fact she was oh so right all along, and now she finally had the human to prove it.

Oh my gosh what do I do? AHHHHH! I FOUND A HUMAN! OH SWEET CELESTIA! I KNEW THEY EXISTED. Everypony’s heads going to spin when they see him! At least… I think it’s a him. Lyra brought a hoof to her mouth for a brief moment before nodding as her grin retook her face. Yeah, it’s a him. I know it is. I wonder how he got here? Are they’re more? Is there a way for him to go back? Is there a way for ME to go with him? This is just too much!

Lyra shook her knees again at the amount of energy that filled her body, trying her best to not explode at the sheer amazingness of the situation. What should I do!? What should I ask him first!? What would HE ask first? Is he-… Lyra trailed off in her mind as looked down onto him again. Is he… alive?



“…”



A moment passed before the overwhelming excitement was suddenly replaced by worry and fright. “Oh no no no no!” Lyra whispered quickly.

When she had touched his hand it was warm, but that didn’t mean he was still alive. She pranced about in panic as her mind raced about on what to do to check if he was still with the living, deciding the best way was to check his breathing. If he wasn’t, then she was going to hyperventilate and kill herself for passing up CPR lessons.

Bending her head down she turned a cheek and held it only inches away from his mouth, closing her eyes in concentration as she tried to feel the faintest of breaths. Come on come on! Please be alive!

When she did finally feel his soft and warm breath brush past her coat, her eyes snapped open as she lifted her head to stare at his sleeping face, mouth open in relief and happiness as a few more tears began to build in her eyes. “Oh thank Celestia you’re not dead.”

But he did not appear to be completely well she realized. His breathing while existent was faint, and she did not know if he had any injuries. But as she lifted her head in contemplation, the above broken branches was a sure sign the human had most definitely been injured, if the height of them were any indication that he had fallen.

Lyra didn’t know how tough humans were, but she didn’t figure them to be durable enough to not receive any damage from a fall that high. But to the extent of his injuries she was unsure of, and that lead her to her next decision.

“Y-You need to be fixed up! We got to get you feeling better!”

She needed to get him out of these woods and to a doctor right away, there was no way she was going to let him die off here in the forest. There was no way she was going to let something so important fade away from the rest of ponykind. She knew they were real, and it was her duty to prove it. With a determined look she stomped to his side, ready to save his life no matter what.

But her face fell away as she then wondered exactly how she was going to get him out of here.

After checking his injures the best she could to ensure nothing was serious enough to warrant him to be kept still, she spent the next some minutes carefully lifting him with her magic and onto her back. She eventually concluded that the best way to move him was to rest him atop her back and keep him stable with her magic. She wasn’t strong enough to keep him floating, and despite her best efforts she had been unable to wake him. So it was with careful maneuvering and a bit of magic that he eventually laid stomach down on her back, his head hanging near hers. He was big so his hands gently brushed the ground, and she had to keep his legs lifted with her horn, but she could move him. She just had to be careful and only walk on smooth ground.

Heheh, a human is riding me, she giddily thought. “Okay, let’s get you out of here fella.”

Lyra slowly moved through the plants and back onto the path, heading back the way she had originally come from that lead to Ponyville. She constantly craned her head back to make sure she had a good grip on him, ensuring that not too much of his body was dragging across the ground or readjusting every time she felt him begin to slide. But all the while she steadily moved back home, thoughts of how everypony was going to react dancing across her mind when she walked into the town with him slung onto her.

Everypony is going to flip when they see him! I can’t wait to see how they will react! Oh Bon Bon’s jaw is going to hit the floor when I show her! EEEEEEEEEEE I CAN’T WAIT! A grin was plastered on her face as she tried to imagine each pony’s reaction to her, and how her life may change. No more playing for small gigs with my Lyre! I’m still going to play, but now everypony is going to see me for what I really am. A human expert! Oh how they will ask ‘Lyra, how in Equestria did you know they existed?’. To which I will respond, ‘Oh just a lucky hunch. But my hunches are never wrong!’ AHHH! I can’t wait!

After some minutes of travel she paused to take a quick breather and readjust the human. But first we need to get you better big guy. We’ll take you to the hospital right away. They will probably freak out at first at seeing you, but I’m sure I can convince them you’re safe. After that they will most likely transport you to Canterlot so the finest doctors and experts can help you become better. Oh the Princesses will be crawling at the door just to meet you! A giant function will probably be held in your honor and all the elites will be there to welcome you. You’ll be living the life in the best we can offer at our capital and… you will be swarmed by everypony… and… you’ll be away from Ponyville… too busy with… every other pony…

Lyra slowly stopped as her mind worked through those last thoughts. He was a human, he was going to attract big attention. But she painfully realized she was being naive in her role in all of her fantasies. She may be the pony that found him, but he would most likely be taken to Canterlot right away. And she wouldn’t be able to go with him. He would attract too much attention from everypony to allow some unicorn from Ponyville to tag along with him. She was not nearly important enough to even have the hope of the authority or opportunity to see him with the guests that would visit him.

Or the Princesses could even consider him a national secret, swept away from the prying eyes of the public to further investigate him. If Lyra’s theories that humans could be a bit violent at times were true, then that might be reason enough alone to keep him under wraps. And to top of either of those two theories, he might wake up after he was taken away from her, never to know the unicorn that carried him from woods and all the way to town. Even if she did see him later, how in Equestria would she prove that she knew about him and his kind all along? He would have spoken to so many ponies about his world that he would just think she copied what the reporters knew.

Lyra bit her lip as possibility after possibility ran across her mind, making her original and wonderful outcome of learning more about him and being by his side slowly dwindle into a foalish dream and impossible reality.

Lyra took a step backwards as the painful truth played out across her mind. No… this wouldn’t work. I won’t be able to see him or learn first hoof about humans. I… I’ll never prove that I was right like this. I won’t convince other ponies that I’m… that I’m not… c-…cr-…

She was unable to finish that thought, instead swiftly turning away from her original direction and heading back the way she had found him. With a growing sense of panic that began to fill her body, Lyra shifted her eyes about the forest as she moved away from Ponyville. No, none of that will work. I have to think of something, something else that will make everything okay. I have to be the first pony he sees when he wakes up, I can’t take him to a doctor just yet.

She knew it was a risk to not get him seen right away from a medical provider, but judging from what she saw she hazard a guess that he wasn’t that injured. For all she knew he wasn’t even really hurt at all. In fact, when he did wake up he could tell her exactly what was wrong with him if there even was anything. And if there was she could just go get a book on first aid practices and take care of him herself. But where do I take him? she then thought.

She needed a safe place to keep him so he could rest and for her to watch over him. As previously worked out, the hospital wasn’t an option. Her home wasn’t an option with how she imagined Bon Bon would react and also be unable to not tell everypony about him. And there was nowhere else in Ponyville she could think of that would fit what she needed. As he eyes darted back in forth as she shakily moved forward down the trail from her overwhelming panic at the situation, a sudden thought crossed her mind that washed away all her worries.

A place where he can rest, away from every other pony until we’re ready, and a place nopony would stumble across…

A relieved grin spread across her face as she recalled a place that was exactly what she needed, and was located in these very woods. A place that she had found one time during her walks, and for all she knew, the only pony that even knew it existed.

“Don’t worry fella, I have just the place in mind,” she said as she moved with renewed confidence. “A nice little tucked away place. Somewhere where nopony will find us.”

Author's Note:

The music in the link is the piece I had on repeat for this chapter, a very lovely piece from 'Castle in the Sky' by the animator legend Hayao Miyazaki. It really help set the mood for this and I hope you all enjoyed it if you listened to it.

A quick note is that I added a small section to the first chapter in the very beginning. If you have read that chapter before this ones release, then I recommend going back real quick to see it. I've literally just added a small bit in the beginning in italics to just simply help set the mood of the story. Hope my pacing is decent for you all and that I'm going in depth enough for our lovely unicorn to explain her way of thinking and reasoning. Give a shoutout in the comments if you have an issue with something, feel like something needs to be addressed and touched on further, recommendations, or just plain want to say you enjoyed it. Not gona lie, I'm a whore for positive and negative feedback/attention and any story writer gets giddy when they see a comment on there story. Or at least I do.