• Published 26th Mar 2012
  • 7,063 Views, 548 Comments

Mischmasch - SpiralWriter



Come and hear the tale of an out of place creature in the seemingly perfect land of Equestria.

  • ...
17
 548
 7,063

Pulling the Trigger

We were told, or more bullied as it was, to return to the King's Throne Casino, Royal Flush and Ace shoving one of us every once in a while to keep us going, usually Zola. Her face had taken on it's somber and glazed look once more. I could tell she was resisting every fiber in her body to spin around and smash both their skulls in a couple times. From her bruises and complacent demeanor whenever they were around, I was very sure that the zebra had been taking their bull for a long, long time. I felt pity for her, despite the fact she worked for a criminal mastermind. Eh, some people just made bad choices.

The five of us went past the big flashy casino part and into the back of the building through a series of hallways and stairs, ascending the countless steps, ever ascending. It appeared the Throne doubled as a hotel, as we passed several rows of doors with room numbers on them and some ponies in bellboy outfits carrying luggage upon their backs. Once we reached what I assumed was the top floor, considering this story was much more innately decorated than the others, and at the end of the hall, a giant pair of double doors awaited us.

"Move it."Royal pushed me this time, but as I continued walking, I slowly arced my head around on my super-flexible neck, glaring at him, strings of black smoke rising from my nostrils. He backed up almost immediately.

Being at the head of the group, I pushed open the doors, only to stare into an incredibly shadowy room, smoke filtering out almost ominously. I flicked my tongue in and out to get a good sense of the area. Bleck, I scrunched up my face. Tasted like...hair gel and something else...greed? I didn't even know if a sin could have a taste, but if I could describe it, it tasted like that. Somewhere between a mix of bitter ashes and the iron flavor of blood.

We all entered, the two pegasi goons closing the doors behind us with a slam. They took positions beside the door, standing guard.

"Welcome to the King's Court."From the center of the room, a shaft of light wavered down through the drifting grey towards a brilliant white pegasus positioned on a throne that resembled the logo outside. I automatically presumed he was the King, considering he was...y'know, sitting on the throne, and the room was big and mysterious and everything. The whole scene literally screamed 'Meeting a villainous crime boss'.

"You must be the King."I repeated what was on my mind, trying to sound as bold as I could.

"I am."I spotted the source of all the smoke, a burning cigar clutched tightly in his teeth.

"Before we proceed with a civil conversation,"He released a long stream of smooth smoke with a breath."Kneel."

"...Excuse me?"

"You heard me, kneel."He said again, leaning forward in his seat, a smug look on his face. I had to keep myself from laughing as he came into view. The freakin' pompadour.

Already, Alamo and Zola were kneeling like this guy was royalty. I looked down at them with worry, and they were shivering, not from cold, but fear.

"Do not make me repeat myself."The King said in a rather threatening tone. From his side, a massive minotaur appeared out of the darkness, just as tall as me, but twice as wide with bulk.

I slowly got down on my knees, reluctantly lowering my head until it nearly touched the floor. I felt absolutely sickened with myself for my actions.

"Rise."He commanded once more, and we all complied like fucking worker bees.

"I heard youse took out my boys here real easy like."He motioned lazily at the two behind us, who strangely remained quiet. I slowly nodded. I had to grit my teeth from talking to this prick. Being around him, I wanted to do two things: scream at him and deck him in the face until he had no teeth left to hold that cigar. The King gave off an aura of self-righteous superiority, power, and something else much more sinister. It made my multi-layers of different skin crawl, and something inside me sickeningly stirred, like vomit churning inside the pit of my stomach. Simply, I didn't like the blasted blighter.

"Now, that in itself in impressive."He discarded the stubble of cigar from his teeth, his minotaur friend catching it in midair and depositing it into a nearby waste can. The King then reached towards his seat's armrest, a box of cigars awaiting him. He popped another one into his dirty mouth, the minotaur holding out a lighter and igniting it for him.

"How so?"I questioned.

"Youse seen my boys? Much bigger than other pegasi, but just as fast. Loyal too, been with me since nearly the beginnin' of my career. But the two are as dumb as bricks. And, by what they claim, you conked 'em out in less than a minute with just a few hits."He chuckled, but it transformed into a nasty, sputtering cough that went on for a few solid seconds. That's what you get for smoking, kids.

"I could use more employees like you."

Employees? More like thugs. I allowed a look of disdain and befuddlement fall on me.

"Youse seem smart, able to think in a fight, that's good, but you're strong too."

"You already have muscle, it seems."I pointed a claw at Mr. Minotaur over there.

"Brutus?"He laughed as he patted the tuxedo-clad beast beside him."Best bodyguard I've ever had, but dumber than these two put together."Another wave at Royal Flush and Ace."The palooka can barely say a word. Isn't that right, Brutus?"

Brutus complied with a heavy, rough grunt.

"See?"

"I don't think our interests...co-align."I crossed my arms, only for Alamo to tug at my jacket worriedly. I looked down at him and he replied with a look that spoke it all. You don't argue with the King.

"Oh?"He laughed once more."I think youse can be...persuaded to co-align with the King."He enunciated on his title with a wave of his hooves and a stream of smoke directly blasted into my face. It didn't bother me seeing as I could naturally filter smoke into my lungs as well, but I waved it away from myself, the act itself incredibly rude. I only smoldered in reply, arms still crossed.

"I can give you decent work with...questionable means every once in a while. It'll be steady, and you'll get a fat paycheck at the end of every job. Youse can live in here in the casino with the rest of my boys in the lap of luxury. All the gambling ya want, all the free booze,"I scowled at Alamo when he perked up at that part.

"And,"The white pegasus snatched the cigar from his jowls, twirling it with his wingtip and sending spirals of lazy smoke into the dim air, the extra appendage acting as a finger."Youse can score all the ladies you want."He raised his eyebrows in a playful manner, looking directly at Zola. She only gazed back with her dead stare.

"..."

"I'll make the deal even sweeter."The cigar went back into his mouth."Stay here in the casino for a while, see how ya like it. Whenever you're ready to say yes, come talk to me."

He acted like we weren't even allowed to leave the building until I agreed, and I suspected that we weren't.

"Royal Flush, Ace!"The King snapped, and his cronies came to attention."Take..."He waved his hoof at me, waiting for a name.

"Oddjob."I muttered through forced fangs.

"Oddjob and his friend here,"He didn't even bother with Alamo's name."To the finest free room we's have. Make sure they're comfortable."

We turned around to follow them, only for his voice to interrupt our footsteps."Uh-uh! Zola, youse stay here with me."

Reluctantly, she turned around and walked towards his throne. The last thing I saw of her before the doors to the King's room closed shut was her kneeling before him once more.

I felt sick.


"Enjoy your stay at the King's Throne."Royal Flush grumbled at me as he tossed me a key to the room. We had gone down a floor, the two punks leading us to a door in the far back, the plate Room 413 emblazoned upon it. They both walked away, heads hung low and eying us both warily, heading down the stairs, probably back to the casino floor for some good old fashioned debauchery after the afternoon they've had.

I fiddled with the key and the lock, but my fingers were too big to grasp it correctly. Alamo sighed and jerked the key from my hands with his magic, nimbly turning it in the keyhole and opening the door.

"...I could've gotten it if you gave me time."I mumbled as we entered.

"Idjit."Was all he replied.

The room, of course, was made of clouds like the rest of the floating city. It was finely decorated, being so close to the top. Two beds opposite of one another took up most of the space. I was glad that I didn't have to spoon with the cowpony.

For the most part, we were quiet. Alamo went to his bed and took off his hat and poncho, the barest I had ever seen him. Despite his senile nature, he was incredibly fit, for a unicorn at least, and for his cutie mark, a gun with bullets flying from it. He still had his gun belt around him though, the holster to the side, and packets of bullets lining up on the belt. What struck me though, was how badly scarred he was. Criss-crossing lines of white healed skin took of a majority of his body, and I could even see a few sealed up bullet holes over him. Old timer had seen a lot in his days.

"...What are yer lookin' at?"He caught me eying him."Yer not one of them queero-sexualites are ya?"

I shook my head with a forced laugh.

He 'hmmphed' in reply, and silence came back. I plopped down on my bed, and, surprise surprise, it was too small for me. At least the part I covered was comfy enough. Clouds...who knew? Other than Rainbow Dash, that is.

"...I'm not gonna do it."I finally said.

"Yer an idjit fer disagreeing with the King."Alamo replied from across the room.

"There's just...something wrong about this guy, Alamo. And I just don't mean his sleazy-ass pompadour and cancerous lungs."

"Of course there's sometin' wrong with 'im!"Alamo frantically waved his forelegs about."He runs Equestria's smuggling rings, from licking salt to...glue."He shuddered. I assumed glue was a taboo topic in Equestria."He has ponies with debts wrapped around his hoof, begging him to let them live. And y'know the scary thing Oddjob? He tells 'im he'll let 'im go, long as they return to repay one day. They do, oh they. Ya don't double-cross the King. But sometimes...he kills them just for fun, Oddjob, even when they've paid."

"..."

"Ah was scared that was goin' ta happen to me tonight."

"It didn't though."

"Cause Ah'm lucky."He shook his head."But it's like the King has all the luck on his side in everythin' he does...it's a rigged game, Oddjob, and we're all gonna lose ta him if'n we do or don't play."


"Do you understand what to do?"

"I understand plenty, my fine feathered friend."The King replied to the winged figure before him, but something seemed a little off about it. He took another puff of his ever-present cigar.

"You are to keep Oddjob in your services, and give him a bit of a...darkened view of the world. Show him Equestria's underbelly."

"Oh, he'll get a load of that soon enough."Another puff, another cough.

"Good."Strife giggled maliciously as she ruffled the dozen wings running down her back. She was of average build for a female pegasi, despite her features. Her fur color was that of a dark magenta, her mane running down her entire back and blending in with the wings. She had no cutie mark, a curious sight of an adult pony, if she could even be considered that.

"Now,"The King held out a hoof towards her."Your boss...he can give me anything I want?"His eyes momentarily lit up.

"As soon as chaos takes hold of Equestria again, anything your wicked little heart desires!"

The King shuddered slightly, something he didn't do very often. Usually he was the one causing the shuddering."But...Discord. I remember when he took over Equestria in an afternoon's time not too long ago. If he has all that power, why not do it now?"

"We have a plan,"Strife casually flexed one of her wings, the tips colored black from the rest, sending some feathers flying out like knives, razoring themselves into the wall. Where the hardened feathers had landed, a harsh sizzling had filled the air, and the cloud wall had melted away from the black acid.

"Not that chaos even needs a plan."She giggled once more.


The two of us had fallen into a light nap, the daze of the late day giving way to night. A small knock at the door rustled me awake.

"Coming..."I mumbled as I crawled out of the comfy bed. Seriously, clouds were the best thing to sleep on. Ever. Despite it being too small for me, it was like the parts I laid on conformed to what was comfiest for me. No wonder RD was always lounging around on them.

I opened the door to see Zola standing in the hall, her face as deadpan as ever. She was out of her showgirl outfit, however."We need to talk."She let herself in, sliding right past me. I sighed and closed the door, locking it. I didn't trust anything in this place with every last inch of Los Pegasus being the King's turf. I would only breathe easy once we were back on solid ground.

"You must listen Oddjob, and not balk."She stopped near a table in the far corner that I had not noticed before, it holding a complimentary gift basket. She picked and chose an apple to munch on.

"Hnn?"Alamo grumbled as he awakened as well, blinking his one good eye to look from me to Zola.

"What's she doin' here?"He muttered, fixating his hat back atop his head.

"The King has taken an interest in you, Oddjob."She took a chunk out of the apple, devouring it in seconds."You do not disagree with him,"She said cautiously."Or off your head he will lob."

"Yeah, the feelings mutual."I rolled my eyes, leaning against the wall."I'm not going to work for a kingpin."

"Oddjob, think about my safety here!"Alamo said worriedly."If you say no again and tick 'im off, imagine what he'd do? Yeah, yer strong, but everythin' has its limits. He has dozens of his crew coming in and out of Los Pegasus daily, and he'll just wear ya down. And since Ah'm asso-she-ated with yerself, he'd hurt me too, and Ah don't think I'll be escapin' him again."

I let out a distressed grumble.

"Just...consider it for a while, take him upon his offer. Who knows, you might agree, and I don't think you're off your rocker."Zola took another fruit from the basket, an orange this time.

"...I'll...be back."I opened the door, this time slowly and carefully with my much more nimble bird hand."The two of you, stay here."I pointed at both of them before closing the door and heading out into the hallway.

I made my way up the stairs and into the top floor, pushing open the doors to the King's room without knocking. This time, it wasn't even dark inside, instead, brightly lit in artificial fluorescence, revealing the rest of the room. It was obviously the penthouse suite. In the center of the room, the throne laid empty, but off in the back corner, I could make out a luxurious bed that was, what else, king-sized. Tables bearing fruits and sweets of all types aligned on a wall, and the King himself was lounging in a bubbling jacuzzi.

"Ah, Oddjob!"He warmly called out to me, waving a hoof for me to come closer. I approached him reclining in the warmth of the spa, Brutus standing outside of the jacuzzi beside him, a towel at the ready. In the steaming water beside him was a giggling green mare.

"Have you met my gal, Oddjob? This is Lady Luck."The King motioned towards the mare, his hoof firmly wrapped around her shoulder. Her entire color scheme was of varying greens, her coat a light mint, her eyes jade, and her dark mane tied up in a bun. She was a unicorn.

"Charmed, I'm sure."Lady batted her eyelashes at me. I only stoically stared at the two of them, my trilby tipped low over my eyes.

"So,"The King continued on, instead of a cigar being placed between his lips, a chinking glass of champagne went instead."So sorry about earlier, I really am."He looked up at me pleadingly. I could tell he was lying right through his yellow-stained teeth."I have to keep up appearances in front of the boys, it's a respect thing, something I'm sure you'll come to understand."

"I want to talk about the offer."I interrupted bluntly.

"Oh?"He sounded interested now, finishing up his glass. Brutus refilled it.

"I've decided to...accept it."I painstakingly replied, the sick turning of my insides growing even worse. But I had to do it, for my safety and Alamo's.

The King chuckled heartily as he stood up, stepping out of the jacuzzi. His obedient minotaur slave wrapped a towel around him and Lady Luck. I noticed she had a four leaf clover as her cutie mark.

"I'm glad you've come to your senses, Oddy."He walked up close to me, rubbing me in the ribs with his hoof. He stood up on his hindlegs, only coming up barely to my chest. He motioned, and I knelt down, only for him to wrap his hooves around my neck in a hug. Once again, I felt sick. The bloody chap just radiated something wrong.

"Welcome to the family."He released the hug."You're gettin' your first job tomorrow night, rest up, my friend." He lead his woman towards his bed, the two giggling at one another.

"Now, if you'll excuse us, I have a date with Lady Luck tonight..."He waggled his eyebrows at her.

I turned around and left the room, surprised to see that Brutus left as well, closing the doors and standing guard. It was just the two of us in the hall, and we locked gazes for a moment.

"I don't like your boss."I finally said, the tensity evident in my voice.

"I don't either."He replied in a gravelly voice. Wow, the beast speaks.

"I fear him."

"..."I turned around, and returned to my room.