• Published 31st Jan 2014
  • 1,194 Views, 26 Comments

Discord Comics - Silent Strider



Discord is bored. He partners with ponies to create comics.

  • ...
1
 26
 1,194

Inspiration

The sun rose over a curious house with a large garden.

As soon as the sun touched it, a pink plastic flamingo uprooted himself, picked a yoyo from a nearby yoyo tree and started doing tricks, while a small stone pony with a long white beard and a pointed blue hat clopped his hooves.

The stone pony stopped and turned his head, with an expression of amazement, to look at the daisies and roses as they jumped out of their bushes and danced an impromptu ballet around the gray mailbox to the sound of the trees as they played a vines and trunks musical piece.

Inside the house a set of toy soldiers reenacted parades and battles, galloping around with their tiny lances, while happy looking fishes swam through in the placid brook that flowed in a curve between the two side windows.

“Boring.”

The owner of the house, a draconequus called Discord, stifled a yawn as he threw away a strange looking box, the image of a black mouse in a red robe in the cover. Not even the classics could break his monotony today.

While Discord was lost in thought, wondering if he should go wreck some havoc in the castle today, the chandelier grew a mouth and shouted: “Mail!”

That got the draconequus up on his mismatched legs, racing towards the mailbox while grumbling about the mail being late. He left by the front door and looked around confused; slapping his face with a lion paw he got into the house again, rotated it back into position, and finally found the mailbox as he went again through the front door.

He took a look at a gray pegasus mare with golden mane flying away, humming today’s garden melody. His yellow eyes turned wishful. Perhaps he should invite her to …

“How the mighty have fallen. Me, Discord, thinking about begging some pony for company! And I’m even monologuing!”

Discord turned back to the mailbox with a glare of utter irritation. That gray, boring, irritatingly normal mailbox; not only that, but enchanted by Celestia herself to be immune to chaos magic at the request of the postal service, just because of that small incident where his old mailbox spat out a mailmare…

With a sigh, Discord opened the mailbox. It’s a small concession, and receiving Fluttershy’s letters was worth the small sacrifice. Wishfully Discord searched inside the mailbox with his eagle claw...

With a surprised look he pulled multiple letters. There was one from Fluttershy, as expected. There was something official looking from Celestia; he could already imagine how boring it would go, with Celestia subtly but firmly chiding him for some small prank or another. But there was also something unexpected, a small package from some Misty Blossom, and addressed to “my hero Discord”.

Misty Blossom, Misty Blossom… Discord had heard that name. He pulled a roll of film from his ear and started to search something on it while stroking his goatee.

He soon found what he was looking for; with a snap of his fingers, a frame from the film expanded, showing a little pegasus filly, one with green mane and a cerulean coat, hugging his goat leg while a building - a school? an hospital? he didn’t pay attention at the time - burned down in the background. A clown face with an open mouth, big enough to swallow a grown pony, could be seen in place of a window, it’s tongue reaching the floor like a slider.

Storing the film back in his ear Discord opened the package. The first thing he pulled was a crayon drawing of himself and the filly playing. With another finger snap, the drawing jumped out of the paper, crudely drawn draconequus and pony jumping around his feet. Discord would never admit, not even under torture, but the sight did bring some mist to his eyes. A little.

There was still something inside the package. Pulling it out, Discord stared at a comic with some earth pony in a red garb, mane and tail completely wrapped up in green lace, on the cover. Not a new one; this one looked worn, as if it was read many times, but it was well preserved.

Discord started reading the comic; he could almost feel the emotions the filly must have felt while reading the story time and time again. A tear mark here, where the heroine thought a friend was lost; a slight crease there, where the filly must have turned the page a bit too excited. The story was good, Discord had to admit, but his preference was never for static entertainment; what he craved for was the unpredictable reactions of real ponies.

As he continued reading, finding other small marks that showed the filly’s emotions, Discord’s ears perked up as his face formed into an inquisitive smile. “I wonder if…”

With a bit of effort, discord called forth magic to peek into past images tied to emotions. Certainly enough, he saw the same little filly that had hugged his leg. The image laughed, cried, shouted, cheered, and even jumped in joy as he scanned the pages. The clarity startled him; that comic book was certainly treasured by the filly.

Turning back to the start of the comic, Discord took note of the artists that had created the comic. Perhaps he could reach a mutually beneficial agreement with them...

Author's Note:

Feel free to point flaws, errors, or to make suggestions; I'm here to learn.