• Published 11th Apr 2014
  • 3,216 Views, 60 Comments

The King of Lies - Jade Ring



The Mane 6 are tested by an other-worldly force. Can they tell the truth from the lies?

  • ...
3
 60
 3,216

Pinkie Pie

Pinkie Pie had been expecting some grand vision, some nightmarish thing she could laugh away and show that mean old King of Lies a thing or two about giggling at some ghosties... but there was no vision approaching from the darkness that surrounded her.

There was just a single grave marker and a light that shined on it so it could be read.

PINKAMENA DIANE “PINKIE” PIE
NEVER STOP LAUGHING

“I... I don't understand.”

“Don't you?” Belial appeared beside her, only visible by his glowing red eyes. “It should be obvious, even to a pony as spastic as you.”

She rolled her eyes. “No, I thought this was supposed to be harder. Of course I'm gonna get old and die. Everypony does. That's life.”

Belial's eyes moved back and forth as he shook his head. “You misunderstand the vision. This isn't your marker fifty or sixty years from now. This is what will mark your grave in a mere two year's time.”

Pinkie felt cold. “What?”

“You're dying, Pinkie Pie. Slowly, yes, but still you are dying all the same.” He leaned in close. “I know what you are, Pinkie, even if that alicorn's spell hid that knowledge even from you. And creatures such as yourself cannot live as long as normal ponies. I'm afraid your body is breaking down even now.”

Pinkie looked back at the marker and ran her hoof across the stone.

“Of course, I could be pulling all of this from my rear. But you tell me; is this truth, or is it a lie?”

Pinkie closed her eyes, took a deep breath... and smiled. “It's the truth.”

Belial found himself caught off guard. “How did... how did you know?”

She shrugged. “Just a feelin.'” She grinned up at him. “Just like I know you're not all bad. Well, you are all bad, but even the worst ponies have a little good in them. I hear King Sombra was a killer piano player.”

Hidden by the darkness, Belial's jaw dropped. “You just found out you're dying in less than two years and you're cracking jokes?”

Pinkie laughed. “Did you not read my epitaph, silly?”

Belial actually had to sit down. The vision faded but the light grew so that the two ponies could see each other clearly. Belial looked at Pinkie and smiled. Not an malicious smile, but a genuine smile. “I misjudged you, Pinkie. You remind me of a rather clever lawyer I once knew.”

She sat next to him and put a hoof on his shoulder. “Tell you what; even if we win this contest, why don't you hang around Equestria. Once, uh, my party has ended, I'll come hang out with you and show you how to throw a real shin-dig.”

“I'd like that.” Belial laughed. “But first I have to finish psychologically torturing your friends.”

Pinkie nodded. “Do what you've gotta do. I know my friends. I know we'll win.” Something occurred to her. “Can you... do me one little favor?”

Belial nodded.

“Can you let me remember? There's something I need to do before I go and if you make me forget this, then I probably won't do it unless it's too late.” Noting the apprehension in his eyes, she held up a hoof. “And I Pinkie Promise not to tell a single soul. Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.”

Belial considered the request. “Very well.”

Pinkie Pie shocked them both by hugging the King of Lies as tightly as she could. “You're the best Belial. Or the worst. Whichever works for you.” She let him go quickly. “Sorry, but your skin is really cold.”

Belial laughed and stomped his hoof on the ground.