• Published 25th Jan 2014
  • 10,021 Views, 316 Comments

The Journey to Parenthood - SolidFerret



Button Mash and Sweetie Belle have become parents. How will that work out for them?

  • ...
50
 316
 10,021

Cheer up and dry your damp eyes

[Just a clarification, yeah, I know it sucks. I didn't want the feature box all that much. Next chapter.]

"Now Button, it's your first day of school here, so I expect you to be nice. If somepony comes up to you and says hi, what do you say back?"

"Hi." Button answered with an annoyed groan as his mom walked him along the roads of Ponyville.

The family had recently moved to the town, away from Canterlot. The parents thought it would be best if the kids had a more quiet life and somewhere that was more "kid friendly" then the busy life style most ponies in Canterlot have.

It had been around two weeks since they moved in, Button had barely gone outside, save to find the arcade that he was told was here.

Now, his mother was walking her son to his first day of school. She was a tad cranky after he thought school started yesterday, only to yell that it was Sunday. Leaving Button with one last day to himself.

For some reason, he still doesn't know why his toy train randomly burst into flames.

But now that the day was here, Buttons mind changed when he realized it was hours away from his video games, plus his homework would also get in the way. He trudged to the path, his mother by his side.

"Mom?" He suddenly spoke.

"What is it, Sweetie?" She asked, looking down at him.

"Do you think I'll make any friends?" He asked.

The two stopped in front of the school entrance, several colts and fillies used their time to play with friends before the bell rang.

Buttons Mom pulled her son into a hug, which he gratefully returned. He struggled to hold back tears.

"You'll be fine son, I promise." She told him before giving him a quick kiss on the forehead.

Button knew if he spoke, he'd start crying just like he did this morning before they left home. His mom waved goodbye as he walked up the school yard path. Avoiding glances from what would be his new classmates. He looked around to see place to sit and wait until class started.

He stopped under a tree, and turned to see a sight that broke his young heart.

His mother walked away from the school, leaving him there.

At this point, only his mother was the one by his side, and she left.

Button failed to contain the tears he had held all the way here, and began to cry.

To the others in school, it was common to see someone on their first day cry for their mommy. Not even Diamond Tiara can argue without being reminded how much of a sobbing mess she was on her first day.

But for three friends, they made to see it that they would cheer up any sad foal.

"What would a cutie mark for cheering up look like?" Scootaloo asked.

Apple Bloom looked over to the colt in his puddle of tears. "Well... we can't wait to find out, can we girl?"

"Nope." Scootaloo responded. "What says you, Sweetie Belle?"

The two looked around, not seeing their friend near them.

"Sweetie Belle?"

Scootaloo looked around until Apple Bloom turned her head towards where the crying colt was.

They watched as Sweetie Belle introduced herself to the colt, asking for his name and after hearing his story, giving him a hug and asking if he would like to hang out with her friends.

"Huh... not bad." Scootaloo commented.

"How sweet." Apple Bloom said.

They could already tell that Sweetie Belle had made a new friend.


Button Mash woke up before the sun was up. The room was still dark and encouraged him to close his eyes and go back to sleep. The warmth of the make-shift bed on the floor was far to comfortable to leave, plus his wife had her hoofs around his neck.

The sun had barely rose over the horizon, making the room still dark. Button heard little to no sound in the Boutique in the early hours of the morning.

He looked over to his sleeping wife, who breathed softly in her sleep.

Button recalled to the day he asked her to marry him, where she burst into tears and could barely speak, let alone accept his proposal. Rarity has given the young stallion the encouragement he needed to pop the question at one of Pinkie's parties. Upon seeing it, Rarity herself burst into tears while Pinkie was so excited that she extended the party even more.

The two always enjoyed remembering the highlights of their relationship, to remind themselves why they love each other so much.

Button sniffed and the scent of coffee filled his nose. He looked over to see Rarity up and about this early. She paid no attention to the two as she went about making breakfast, most likely for her and Spike.

Snuggling up to his wife, Button ignored Rarity and closed his eyes, wanting to sleep more on his last day off before he went to back work.

Rarity poured herself a cup of fresh coffee, taking in the scent in as it filled her kitchen, relaxing her a little as she added sugar and creamer and mixed it with a spoon using her magic while she went over to the fridge.

Button could no longer ignore the noise Rarity was making and opened his eyes. The smell of coffee was calling his name and looked up at Rarity as she read a fashion magazine and sipped her drink. She eventually looked back at him, his eyes half closed and his mane messy, and said to him.

"Good morning." She said in a soft tone, to not wake her sister. Button was too sleepy to respond, and only blinked his eyes.

Button tried to drown the sound out, with no avail as he buried his head in his pillow. He only groaned and rubbed his head a little.

"Bring... me...." He moaned weakly.

"Don't worry dear," Rarity said as she got up out of her seat. "I planned to save some for you two anyhow."

The sound of coffee pouring was heard, followed by hoofsteps that stopped by Buttons head as he looked up to see a cup of coffee floated down right by him.

Taking it, he blew on it to cool it off before taking a sip to get the taste of morning breath out of his mouth. Tasting the lack of sugar and forcing it down.

"Sorry deary, I know you like sugar." Rarity took the cup and went over to put in the sugar.

Button turned over, the hoof around him not moving as he looked back at Sweetie Belle sleeping peacefully. She breathed softly and Button felt even warmer next to her. He felt this when he had to stay the night here one night when the rain came down harder than it was supposed to due to a cross-eyed mare's mistake. It had only been a few days since Button had met Sweetie Belle, Rarity called and confirmed that Button was at her home and that his mother need not to worry.

That wasn't enough to stop him from crying for his mom, which Sweetie Belle held him as he cried like a baby. She figured that she was probably the most important pony in his life at the time and actually felt bad for him. She calmed him down and the two slept through the night together.

However, Rarity forbade it to have Button spend the night after the Christmas party when Sweetie Belle kissed him under the mistletoe.

The memories flowed as Button leaned over and kissed Sweetie Belle on the lips, making her smile in her sleep. Button Mash held her head close to his as he closed his eyes.

From above, Rarity watched the two and grinned.

"You two will be great parents." She said as she sipped the cup of coffee she was meant to bring to Button.