• Published 25th Jan 2014
  • 10,015 Views, 316 Comments

The Journey to Parenthood - SolidFerret



Button Mash and Sweetie Belle have become parents. How will that work out for them?

  • ...
50
 316
 10,015

Patience is key.

Sweetie Belle giggled lightly as she felt the crayon being scribbled on the side of her stomach through a piece of paper. The small laughter hit the drawers ear and made him smile a little to himself, the crayon held in his mouth rotating a little as his lips curled into a grin. It was a joyous sound that the two learned to love almost as much as each other.

Button Mash scribbled some more as his wife laid on the soft blanket spread across the floor. She read a book as the radio played soothing music that filled the room.

"Why are you doing this?" She asked finally, turning her head a little. The mare couldn't even face her husband since he was dead set on drawing.

"What else can I do?" He moaned in boredom and impatience, almost like a child.

The answer made Sweetie Belle laugh as she turned to see what was drawn on her. A paper was taped to her side that should a small bar that was near full with 90% written as well, causing her to laugh. Button stared at it with a heavy amount of focus, almost as if he believed the bar would fill a little and the number would change to 91%.

"Oh, Button." She said as she turned around and nuzzled him, watching her horn to make sure she didn't poke his eye.

He smiled warmly as he laid on his back on onto a pillow in the middle of the room.

"I thought I'd do something fun with it." He told her.

"Well," she looked and actually chuckled at the drawing. Who else but Button to make it into part of a video game.

It was a good way of coping, the two had the pregnancy planned, but even Button felt like he wasn't ready. Nights were spent with him laying awake in bed while wondering if he could be a father while watching over his wife.

Eventually, Sweetie Belle gave him a pep talk, saying that she watched her sister and Spike raise a child together, and knew that if true love was involved, everything would work out as planned.

"I love it." She told him as she laid her head down on his stomach. "And you've been great dealing with it."

Button gave himself a smile of accomplishment, for he had to deal with...

"Button! We need cake!" Sweetie yelled frantically.

"There's no cake! To the store!" She shrieked.

"You don't love me!" She cried into a puddle after he refused to go to the store.

"Oh my goodness! I'm sorry I accused you of such a thing!" She said as she got on her knees to beg for forgiveness.

Elapsed time= 2 minutes.

Button shuddered at the memory.

The two married when they both got out of school. Sweetie Belle discovered her talent for singing and went on to perform small shows before going on to open up for Sapphire Shores and even a duet with electronic musician Electronic Notes.

Button Mash always loved video games, but never knew that he would end up making them. He studied design at school and went on to work at Psony. To this day, he was still amazed with working on such things he enjoyed heavily as a child.

The two had been together since they were a colt and filly. Sweetie Belle remembered them playing video games and the first time she kissed his cheek. How he froze up and turned red and could barely speak was the most adorable thing she had ever seen. Sweetie Belle did it every now and then, making the colt lovestruck every time.

Then came the time he kissed her instead. It was after they got their cutie marks and were growing up. It was the night of a dance, she remember how nervous he was when he approached her. How he started to shake a little as he told how much he liked her and if she wanted to go see a movie the next day. And Sweetie Belle couldn't have been happier, she looked into his eyes as he leaned forward, causing her to nervously lean forward and lock lips with him.

Five years later, he had proposed to her, giving him tearful response as she threw her hooves around him and could barely contain her happiness. Oh how Rarity designed her very dress with tears in her eyes, some staining the paper that would make her throw it in the trash since she didn't want to have a tear stained paper with her little sisters dress.

Rarity planned the biggest and most amazing dress before her sister told her she wanted something basic that matched her color. And for once, Rarity nodded her head and redesigned it. Sweetie Belle was amazed at how much her sister didn't argue over the dress.

They had an outside wedding. As she walked down the aisle, Applejacks daughter throwing flower pedals, Button nearly fainted at the sight, being caught by Rumble, the best man, and back to the ceremony.

As Button was about to say his vows, a loud cry erupted from the seats. Button looked at his bride with a smile and gave her the notion to wait a second as he ran over and gave his tearful mother a big hug, who was nearly screaming. Apple Bloom and Scootaloo cried a little just as Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle did at her wedding.

Sweetie Belle knew exactly where she wanted the honeymoon. She visited the place once and loved the colors that fell around it. She wanted to stay at the resort at Rainbow Falls.

The colorful and bright environment made for the happiest week the newlywed couple have ever had. They bathed in rainbow juice at one point, looked at the sights and spent a few day in the room ordering room service and watching movies.

During so, Button ended up splashing a little into Sweetie Belles eye. Oh how he apologized and kissed it how hours on end. She couldn't get over how sorry he felt and how eager he was to make it up to her.

They spent hours on a hillside and watched as the mist formed the brightest rainbows anypony could see right before their eyes. Being in their company was something that made it even better.

2 and a half years later, they decided on having a foal. After seeing the confirmed pregnancy test, the two knew it was the next part in their journey through life together.

A heavy thud was felt inside Sweetie Belle's stomach, making her gasp.

"She's kicking."

"He." Button corrected, making his wife roll her eyes. "But really?!" He asked excitedly.

Sweetie rolled on to her back as Button put a hoof on he stomach, feeling a soft kick through her coat. He laughed at knowing that it was gonna be born soon. Button wanted a colt while Sweetie Belle hoped for a daughter. The two had a brief argument on the subject before, eventually letting it go.

Button then began to rub his wife's stomach, making her sigh with pleasure. Then, tickling it with both hooves, making her squeal out in laughter.

"Am I interrupting something?" Rarity asked as she walked in.

Knowing Button was going back to work soon, the couple decided to stay at Rarity's.

Button turned red, always getting nervous when Rarity saw the two together. He had only stayed here once when they were little and he was sick. When he became a teen, Rarity forbade him to stay overnight.

"Nothing, Rarity." Sweetie Belle groaned.

"Well, I'm here to bring some cheese and crackers." She said as she set the plate on the table.

"What are we, six? Oh, pepperjack!" Button exclaimed as he dug into the crackers.

The two ate snacks while listening to the radio, Sweetie Belle singing along while Button listened whilst swaying back and fourth to the sound of her voice.

Eventually, the two laid back down together. Falling asleep, they told each other...

"I love you, Button." Sweetie Belle said with a smile.

"I love you too." He responded.

The two fell asleep, having a blanket put on them by Rarity, who smiled and walked away, leaving the two to enjoy each other.