• Published 24th Jan 2014
  • 5,648 Views, 17 Comments

Mistletoe Kiss - Alexandrite Ward



Someone's filled Fluttershy's house full of mistletoe, guess who?

  • ...
2
 17
 5,648

Mistletoe, Garland, and Holly oh my!

"One minute Rarity; I just need to run back and get Angel's scarf. It’s colder than I thought and Angel will be frozen without it! Why don't you - oh."

Fluttershy stopped in the doorway, staring wide eyed at what had become of her house during her short absence to the market with Rarity. She was positive she had locked the door behind her, and really she must have as the key turned easily to allow her access; when she left the room had been in its usual state of clean but slight disarray, throw pillows askew, food bowls and beds for her animal friends strewn about, but now...

It looked as though someone had done their best to bring the outside into her tiny space. Bundles of holly hung from the ceiling, their berries red and juicy in the light; ivy snaked its way across the dressing table, couch and chairs and entwined itself around the coat rack in the corner, looking for all the world like some great green serpent. Pine cones were piled in her empty grate, their scent filling the room. When she looked up, paper chains undulated across the ceiling, dozens of them; who on earth had the time and patience to make such things and why would they decide to use them to decorate her house?

"What's the matter? Are you all - "Rarity trailed off as she all but bumped Fluttershy over the threshold from behind. She stared open-mouthed, taking in the spectacle before her. "My goodness! You kept that quiet! Whenever did you have time to do all this?"

"I didn't," Fluttershy said in surprise.

"Oh, come now dear." Rarity looked unconvinced. She poked the mistletoe that dangled from the ceiling and covered most of one wall, and a small smile crept onto her face. "Hello... are you perhaps trying to ensnare somepony, then?"

Fluttershy blushed and muttered, "N- no! I didn't do any of this; when I locked up earlier none of this was here . . ."

The fashion designer pursed her lips. "Well, if you didn't do it, who did?" Her eyes suddenly went wide as an idea occurred to her. "Ooh! You don't think it could have been Discord?"

"Don't be ridiculous, Rarity." Fluttershy didn't mention that she had had the same thought but immediately discounted it. "Discord doesn't sneak about putting up Hearth’s Warming decorations."

"How do you know? He is definitely odd, and it's not as if he has anything better to do with his time," Rarity said. "There must be only so many tricks and mischief he can do before he gets bored, and you are his friend after all, perhaps he wanted to bring in some Hearth’s Warming spirit."

Fluttershy shot her a suspicious glance. "You didn't put that mistletoe there, did you?"

"Me?" Rarity looked up at the greenery and then at herself. "Come now dear, do you really think I would do such a thing? There is far far too much plant life going on in this room for my taste. Maybe Discord is after something..."

"Now you really are being silly," Fluttershy said, flushing up to the roots of her pink hair. While Rarity may not be the type to decorate like this, Fluttershy could hardly see Discord going to so much trouble just to snatch a quick Hearths Warming peck on the cheek, even if he had powers to help him along. He hardly ever came around after Celestia allowed him back in Canterlot, and she was sure he could find better things to do to occupy his time. They were friends, yes, but that didn’t mean he came to visit often, which most of the time she was grateful for, since he made her life, and her heart, very topsy tervy.

Rarity raised an eyebrow as her smile widened. "Oh, am I? Methinks it may be a case of 'the lady doth protest too much'!"

"Oh, stop it, Rarity," Fluttershy told her, whirling around and trying to hide her red face as she turned back to the living room, finding Angels scarf almost immediately. While Fluttershy was looking, Rarity had headed outside, already on her way to the spa, and Fluttershy knew she could catch up easily. With a rueful smile, she picked up her bag and put the scarf inside, and then reached to turn off the lamp. As she did, she was suddenly aware that there was someone else in the room.

A dark figure stood behind her, wrapped in a black cloak. The imposing figure almost made Fluttershy jump out of her skin. After her initial fright, Fluttershy's breath caught in her throat. Silhouetted in front of her he looked magnificent, the true god of chaos. Then the figure moved, unfurling itself, and there was Discord, standing in front of her with a small smile.

"Would it be wrong of me to wish you the compliments of the season, Fluttershy my dear?" he asked.

She countered with a question of her own. "Did you do all this? For me?"

Discord nodded. "While I was here under your hospitality, I recalled you telling me once how much you loved Hearths Warming." His smile faltered as he regarded her. "I had thought that you... do you not like it? No tricks hidden inside anything this time, I promise, but if you don’t believe me -”

"No, no, it's beautiful, Discord, thank you," Fluttershy said hurriedly before he vanished it all away. She glanced around at the profusion of evergreen. "How did you manage it? I didn't know you could conjure so much holly -"

"You would be surprised how much can be accomplished using a bit of hypnosis on unsuspecting ponies," he replied smoothly. She glared at him, to which he raised his paw and claw up in surrender. “Calm down Fluttershy my dear, I promise I didn’t use any magic of that sort.” She reluctantly believed him, however she couldn't help wondering if he had come obtained the greenery by entirely legal means. Perhaps there was an irate homeowner somewhere with a denuded garden; she wouldn't put it past him. He looked her up and down, taking in her pretty dress and warm cloak. "But I am obviously detaining you. Are you going out?" When she nodded his jaw hardened and she caught a flash in his mismatched eyes. "With one of your friends, I suppose?"

"Just with Rarity, it’s our spa day. Maybe I’ll see you later?" she asked, oddly nervous of his response.
Reaching out a long-fingered claw he went behind her back and pulled out a box, handing it to her. “I noticed that almost every animal you own has a scarf, however you my dear, were missing one.” She opened the box and smiled, finding a beautiful red and yellow scarf nestled inside. She smiled and blushed; “Thank you Discord.” He gave her a small smile in return and reached out, taking the scarf and wrapping it around her neck. He adjusted the scarf, pulling it closer around her neck and tucking it in. Hesitantly, as though he feared she might find his touch repugnant, he allowed his thumb to ghost across her chin. "You mustn’t catch a cold, my dear."

"Yes, y-y-your right," Fluttershy stammered, her mouth suddenly dry. She glanced up at the mistletoe hanging above them. "Discord... do you... do you know the significance of that particular plant?"

He looked up at it too, his expression unreadable. "I am aware of its tradition, yes. It was a silly whim of mine to hang it there; take no notice of it, my dear.”

"Why do you say that?" she enquired gently. She tilted her head, trying to see his face, but he had turned away.

"Mistletoe is for kisses," he said, his voice so quiet she had to strain to hear him. "Draconequus are not . . . kissed.”

Confused, Fluttershy had no idea how to respond. Instinctively she reached out to him, only to draw back her hoof when she realized that he might regard her attempts at comfort as foolish or patronizing. The moments ticked by as she watched his back, spine curved beneath the heavy material of his cloak, before he faced her once more, wearing a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes.

"You should go; I know Rarity will not like to be kept waiting," he told her. She did not miss the faint tremor in his voice. "Run along now, and remember not to stay out too late. It’s far too cold to be gallivanting around."

"Yes. Yes, I suppose I should." She didn't quite recognize the emotion that was stirring within her, but it felt rather like disappointment. Forcing a smile of her own, she said, "Goodnight, Discord, and thank you for the wonderful decorations."

He bowed gracefully. "It was my pleasure, my dear."

Fluttershy gathered up her things and turned towards the door. As she opened it she risked a glance behind; he was still standing there, half his face visible, and what she saw appeared lonely. She knew she couldn't just leave him like that. Closing the door again and nearly trapping Rarity's foot, who had inevitably returned wondering why Fluttershy still hadn’t left, she held her breath and closed her eyes and decided to do something she had always wanted to do, but never had the courage. She counted to three, and before she thought better of it, she ran back to Discord, flinging an arm around his neck and standing on tiptoe to kiss him full on the lips. She missed slightly, ending up kissing more the side of his mouth, and bumped her nose against his which caused a giggle to bubble up inside her.

It quickly became apparent that Discord had no idea how to react. Taken by surprise, he tried to escape but was prevented by the wall behind him; when Fluttershy did not let him go he sagged against the wall, as though all the strength had been drained from him. His paw and claw flapped uselessly in the air, floating over her back and shoulders, never quite daring to actually allow himself to touch her. When she drew back so that she could see his face he was staring at her in a mixture of astonishment and wonder.

"Happy Hearths Warming," she said, adding when he didn't move (for which she later felt incredibly embarrassed), "You are allowed to reciprocate, you know."

"I... I don't..." He faltered; Fluttershy had never seen him at a loss for words before. She waited, and a determined light came into his eyes. Leaning down he carefully, lightly brushed her lips with his own. It was like the fluttering caress of a butterfly's wings, soft and chaste and hesitant. He pulled away, and looked down at her, not quite able to meet her gaze. "Fluttershy, my dear, was... was that all right?" he asked, and she realized he almost sounded shy.

Fluttershy, blushing like mad, tightened her hold on him. She cupped a hoof to his cheek. "You have no idea how long I've been waiting for you to do that," she told him, and he blinked. She blushed even harder, but also smiled widely, bright and genuine. "And D-d-discord, y-you have my permission to do it again."

After a moment's deliberation he did, bolder this time as his confidence grew. Fluttershy was quite happy to melt into his arms. He tasted of almonds and warm spring air, she smelled the scent that was always surrounding him, a mixture of wood smoke and spice with a background of sandalwood. She had never realized that such smells could be quite so intoxicating. She barely noticed that the door had opened again until she heard Rarity clear her throat and say,

"Perhaps we can reschedule spa day darling, shall we?"

Fluttershy wasn't quite sure which of them was blushing more, her or Discord, as she glanced over her shoulder to see Rarity standing on the threshold with a huge grin on her face. Fluttershy shuddered. "Well, I, I mean, maybe, Rarity?" she replied. "I seem to be..."

"Unavoidably detained?"

"Umm..." Fluttershy tried to catch Discord's eye but he was averting his gaze, looking anywhere but at Rarity. He quickly disentangled himself from her embrace; once again back to playing the calm and masterful trickster. Only Fluttershy could see from this angle that he had gone pink right to the tips of his ears. While Fluttershy was mortified at being caught and was sure she was bright red all over, she couldn't help smiling; it was really rather sweet. "Something like that," she said at last.

"Goodness me, Fluttershy, I never knew you had such hidden depths," Rarity said mischievously. "Must be the effect of the mistletoe! I may just have to tell the others!”

Fluttershy stared at her friend in horror, and Discord looked as though someone had run an electric current up his spine. Fluttershy said quickly, "R-rarity, p-please don’t tell anyone - "

"Don't worry darling, your secret's safe with me." Rarity winked, and turned back to the outside, adding as she closed the door behind her, "I mean, who would believe me if I told them I saw Fluttershy kissing Discord, the god of chaos?" Fluttershy blushed and looked down at the floor. While she liked to think no one would believe Rarity, she wasn't so sure that was the case.

Author's Note:

Just a little something I thought of over the holiday season, enjoy!

Comments ( 16 )

AWWWW! That's so sweet! That moment with Rainbow Dash kind of threw me off though. I thought you were going to take it in a different direction. Whatever, I think I've finally gotten used to slash pairings, but it still seemed kind of irrelevant to the story.

This was really cute and for the most part everyone was in character. A nice, pleasant feel to it and a writing style which I really like (plus I'm just a sucker for FlutterCord). The only thing that I didn't really like about it was the bit with Rainbow Dash. It wasn't really needed -- if you took out everything having to do with her in the story then it wouldn't have much of an impact, and it didn't add any conflict. Discord just asked a question and acted a little bit jealous... and that was it. It seemed a little... filler-y.

Other than that I really liked it and you did a great job. Like and favorite!

3835370
3835390

You're both right, as I look on it, Rainbow Dash is out of place. I've removed her from the story and I think it flows better, let me know? :) And thank you for reading!

3835434

I reread the section, and it looks good to me.:twilightsmile:

Wow that was pretty good I must say that was pretty sweet amd kinda funny. I really love it :heart:

3835434 Yep, it definitely flows better.

soooo sweet :pinkiehappy:
is there comming a sequel ?? O_O that would be AWESOME

You are amazing:heart:
Please write some more!

MOAR *pinkie pie shoots pies out of cannon* :pinkiecrazy: :pinkiecrazy: :pinkiecrazy:

i just fangirled all over the place :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::yay::yay::yay::yay:

lol
that was a nice story now Discord get to make babies with her! >:3

That was great! I throughly enjoyed it :raritywink:

And Then Came Screwball

Comment posted by ScrewballMothball deleted Oct 2nd, 2018

This is very cute and sweet. Great job!

Login or register to comment