• Published 19th Mar 2012
  • 4,535 Views, 47 Comments

Yeah, but What About the Crops? - boardgamebrony



An unexpected pony questions Nightmare Moon's economic plans for eternal night

  • ...
6
 47
 4,535

(Entire Story File)

“Remember this day, little ponies, for it was your last. From this moment forth, the night will last FOREVER!”

Nightmare Moon cackled as a lightning strike illuminated the interior of town hall. The ponies of Ponyville shook in terror as one of their own stepped forward and spoke.

“All right. So…what about the crops?”

Everypony stopped as Nightmare Moon stared down at the earth pony. Her face was a mixture of anger and confusion. “What?”

The pony sighed. “If you’re going to take over the world, you should at least have a viable economic plan to support the new regime. I mean…we need food and almost all crops only grow during the day. So…without the sun, you’re pretty much destroying your entire kingdom.”

Nightmare Moon stood silent. Then, “Who do you think you are, questioning Nightmare Moon?”

“Greg is my name. I know it’s not very pony. Please don’t make fun of it. Anyway, you need to consider what will happen to places like Sweet Apple Acres without any sunlight to help the plants grow.”

Applejack spoke up. “Smart pony is right!”

“That’s not my name.”

“...We need ta come up with ah solution to this here situation!” Applejack continued.

Twilight Sparkle moved close to the orange earth pony. “Um, Applejack? Princess Celestia is gone and we kinda need to focus on that right now…”

Greg responded. “Well it doesn’t hurt to come up with a contingency plan. So Nightmare Moon…what do you plan to do about our sleep cycles? Your workers will need to adjust to days with no visible indicator to sleep, like sunrise and sunset.”

The celestial mare stomped her hooves. “A ruler does not need to think about such trivialities!”

“Actually, you kinda do,” Greg said. “It’s pretty important, or else you’ll have a very inefficient workforce.”

Rarity jumped up. “I’ve got it!” She rubbed her hooves together in glee. “Instead of sunrise and sunset, we shall have night and darker night! One with moon and one with no moon.”

“What?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Yer a genius!” Applejack said.

“How does that even make sense?” Dash continued.

“Thank you, my dear Applejack,” Rarity said as she flipped back her hair.

Nightmare Moon landed right next to Greg and sneered menacingly down at him. “Give me one reason I shouldn’t exile you to the moon!”

“You can disagree with your labor all you want, but if you start sending away potential employees without due cause, your talent pool will diminish and other places, like the Griffon Kingdom, will have the edge when it comes to skilled job applicants.”

Twilight Sparkle looked around. “Doesn’t anypony care about Princess Celestia?” She continued her questions in the middle of Nightmare Moon’s tirade.

“THAT IS IT! (What about Celestia? Anypony?) I’VE HAD IT WITH YOUR INSOLENCE! (She might be stuck somewhere,) I DON’T CARE ABOUT THE CROPS! (like the sun, maybe.) I DON’T CARE ABOUT WORKERS! (She’s probably lonely.) I’VE HAD IT UP TO HERE WITH YOU PONIES! (I’m kinda lonely, actually.) THE NEXT TIME YOU ASK A QUESTION…(Anypony wanna read with me?)” Nightmare Moon spun around to face Twilight Sparkle. “Twilight Sparkle, you are the NEEDIEST pony I’ve ever seen!”

The purple unicorn shrunk down, looked away for a moment, scratched the ground and then peered back up at Nightmare Moon. “I just want some friends.”

Pinkie Pie bounced forward. “Ohmigosh ohmigosh ohmigosh! Nightmare Moon can be your friend!

“NO,” the night ruler said.

Greg sighed once more. “You’ve been ruler for about three minutes and already you’ve vetoed somepony’s friendship. Good job. Anything else?”

There was a flash, a puff of smoke and suddenly Greg was gone.

Then there was a ringing sound. Everypony looked around the room until Fluttershy walked up to Pinkie Pie with a small device in her hoof. “Um…I think Greg left this…”

Pinkie Pie popped open the device. “Hello?”

A beam of light projected onto the wall and displayed Greg, with an inflated breathing helmet, standing on the moon. “A couple of us guys got together and made these inflata-helmets in case, ya know, Celestia was in a bad mood one day…”

“OH MY GOSH, GREG!” Nightmare Moon shouted. “YOU ARE IMPOSSIBLE!”

“Actually,” Twilight Sparkle said, “This transmission is rather impossible, because according to the science behind it, it takes a while for radio transmissions to reach the planet from the moon…”

There was a flash.

“Hey Twilight,” Greg said to the purple pony suddenly next to him.

“Oh hey, Greg…ACK!” Twilight Sparkle started to gasp for air until a second inflata-helmet was inflated around her head. “Ah…thanks…”

“Just don’t catch on fire," Greg said.

“ME NEXT!” A gray pegasus shouted as she ran out from the crowd and jumped at Nightmare Moon. In a flash of instinct, the celestial ruler poofed the pegasus out of the air only to see her appear behind Twilight and Greg.

“Hey, Derpy,” Greg said.

“Quick! Get a helmet!” Twilight shouted.

“Why?” the pegasus asked.

Greg and Twilight stared at the pony, who stood with a big grin.

A stallion walked out of the crowd. “I’ve got an idea!”

Nightmare Moon spun around. “Who are you?”

“I’m the Doctor.”

“All right. What is it?”

“Well, a doctor is a type of specialist who helps diagnose and treat illness, or a Time Lord who travels through time and space to monitor the universe as we know it, but that’s not important right now. What is important is that I know how to solve your economic conundrum,” Doctor Whooves said.

“When do I get to suggest something?” Lyra asked from the crowd.

“When you get your own episode,” the Doctor responded.

“Oh…wait. How…?”

“Time and space. Anyway, Nightmare Moon, please sit down.” A chair appeared from the crowd and Nightmare Moon was now sitting, though she didn’t know why. A slideshow presentation appeared in split-screen next to Twilight and Derpy, though Greg’s image was blocked by the graphics.

“No, it’s fine,” Greg said. “It’s not like I’m here or anything.”

Lyra snorted from the crowd. “All the technology of the Time Lords and you choose a Powerpoint program.”

“Quiet Lyra,” The Doctor said. “You shouldn’t know what that is. You’ll cause a Time Paradox. So, as you can see, Princess Nightmare Moon…”

“Just call me Nightmare Moon.”

“Apologies. As you can see from this graph, there are multiple factors to consider when overthrowing an established monarchy. Your sister did a good job keeping the peace around the outlying regions, but now with your aggressive style of leadership, other countries might consider severing ties with Equestria, which could hurt the prosperity of our nation. You’ll need to make a press conference to ensure them that you’ll be a fair and balanced alternative to Princess Celestia. You might even be able to get the sympathy vote due to your thousand year exile.”

Twilight Sparkle glanced at the image next to her. “Sounds feasible.”

“Indeed!” Derpy concurred 384,400 kilometers away from Equestria on the moon. Greg peeked out from beside the graphic and stared.

“We can make you fabulous!” Rarity said with twinkles in her eyes.

“And teach you how to make friends with all the little critters!” Fluttershy said.

“And throw parties for your constituents!” Pinkie Pie yelled.

“And host contests with the other nations to show them why Equestria is AWESOME,” Rainbow Dash said.

“But we still haven’t dealt with tha plant-growing problem,” Applejack said. “Remember that, guys?”

The ponies all began talking excitedly amongst themselves as Nightmare Moon hunched down in the chair and covered her face with her hooves. “Ow…my head…”

“Don’t worry. The Doctor is here to make it all better.”

---

Twilight stared at Greg and Derpy next to her on the moon. “We’re kinda stuck here. What do we do?”

“I can fly us back!” Derpy said.

“And how long would that take?” Greg asked.

“Considering that we’re almost 400,000 kilometers away from the planet…about five days.”

“That math doesn’t sound right,” Twilight said.

“Not until you consider that once you accelerate in space, you’ll just keep going faster and faster until something forces you to stop. That happens when there’s no friction. I’ll just fly really really really quickly.”

“Wow. That might be crazy enough to work,” Greg said.

“You’re pretty smart, Derpy,” Twilight said.

“Who said I wasn’t?” Derpy asked and smiled. She grabbed the two ponies and took off towards Equestria.

---

Comments ( 47 )

Got to love how no one really gives a damn that Celestia is gone. Except for Twilight, who is kind of needy...

:twilightsmile: So needy.

Quite an interesting little story.

This needs the Random and Comedy tags. It feels like something out of Monty Python.:rainbowlaugh:

I'd actually like to see this continued. If nothing else, it's got some serious potential for it, and you write it well.

Clearly she needs theme music/ a new national anthem. They need to tell her side of the story of over 1000 years ago. And the occasional cut to Celestia, imprisoned wherever (the sun?), wondering what went wrong with her plan.

340715

I've always enjoyed those skits where something very obvious has been overlooked and all the characters are too concerned with something else to consider what one-character focuses on, which in this case is Twilight. Some of my favorite skits involve at least one character who stays on track of something important while everyone else gets random.

-BGB

340809

Thank you! It evolved more and more as I wrote it out and it started with a pony named Greg...

I'd love to put this on as a skit as a bronycon one day. :pinkiehappy:

-BGB

341094

Monty Python :rainbowlaugh:I could see that. Hehe! I really do like those guys.

And I certainly would like to write more like this later.

-BGB

342907

Well, I didn't plan to continue it initially, but if I can find another angle with the same kind of situation, i will definitely consider writing a side-story or even a further situation where Nightmare Moon is not really enjoying the whole ruler thing.

I would like to write a more serious tale about what I could foresee happening on the moon during the 1000 years of imprisonment.

I appreciate the compliment! Thank you!

-BGB

411363

Thanks for reading! :raritystarry:

-BGB

'sup, BGB.

I see NMM is having her hooves full dealing with the strain of being a ruler.

somethign tells me she'll eventually just appologize to Celestia after dealing with the sheer BS of it all.

447717

Hey there, JJ!

Nightmare Moon has been overwhelmed by economics!

Hostile takeovers are really thought-out all the way.

25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls3nsd1pVG1r3rwaso1_500.jpg

-BGB

“THAT IS IT! (What about Celestia? Anypony?) I’VE HAD IT WITH YOUR INSOLENCE! (She might be stuck somewhere,) I DON’T CARE ABOUT THE CROPS! (like the sun, maybe.) I DON’T CARE ABOUT WORKERS! (She’s probably lonely.) I’VE HAD IT UP TO HERE WITH YOU PONIES! (I’m kinda lonely, actually.) THE NEXT TIME YOU ASK A QUESTION…(Anypony wanna read with me?)” Nightmare Moon spun around to face Twilight Sparkle. “Twilight Sparkle, you are the NEEDIEST pony I’ve ever seen!”

The purple unicorn shrunk down, looked away for a moment, scratched the ground and then peered back up at Nightmare Moon. “I just want some friends.”

Best part, and as usual absolutely hilarious. Exellent work.

467135

Thank you! I really enjoy the mini skits like this one. The chance to put a unique scene in there like the one you just described is so fun! :twilightsmile:

-BGB

Oh, logistics. You rear your ugly head once more to ruin the ambitions of the villainously deranged, and hilarity ensues.

Also, Greg is best pony.

how could you, you left it on a cliffhanger and now i want more:raritydespair:

3134770
I'd like to think season 4 will somehow answer the questions left by this story.

Clearly, the economic realities of eternal night will be explored in the season 4 episode "Greg and Derpy go to the Moon. Also Twilight."

-BGB

3151521 nice I'm gonna laugh if there actually is an episode called that

one would think that she would have though this out further, with 1,000 years on the moon.

4708499

Derpy is totally Batman. This explains EVERYTHING!

Thanks for reading! : D

Twilight Sparkle looked around. “Doesn’t anypony care about Princess Celestia?” She continued her questions in the middle of Nightmare Moon’s tirade.

“THAT IS IT! (What about Celestia? Anypony?) I’VE HAD IT WITH YOUR INSOLENCE! (She might be stuck somewhere,) I DON’T CARE ABOUT THE CROPS! (like the sun, maybe.) I DON’T CARE ABOUT WORKERS! (She’s probably lonely.) I’VE HAD IT UP TO HERE WITH YOU PONIES! (I’m kinda lonely, actually.) THE NEXT TIME YOU ASK A QUESTION…(Anypony wanna read with me?)” Nightmare Moon spun around to face Twilight Sparkle. “Twilight Sparkle, you are the NEEDIEST pony I’ve ever seen!”

The purple unicorn shrunk down, looked away for a moment, scratched the ground and then peered back up at Nightmare Moon. “I just want some friends.”

Awww! Poor Twilight! So cute!

On that note, this is hilarious. At this rate, Luna will give up and let Celestia reign because she doesn't know the first thing about being a ruler, let alone a celestial goddess with control over the two most important celestial bodies for the planet.

Meanwhile, Derpy gives the finger to logic. I'm honestly not surprised they'll get back to the planet unscathed, for Derpy shall protect them with her DERP POWER!

This is extremely humorous:rainbowlaugh:

7354981

Hehe thank you! I've been reading through the old comments and seeing what parts people loved. Really inspirational :)

This is legitimately one of THE GREATEST THINGS IVE EVER READ! Im in goddamn tears! The whole concept is perfect and the part where Nightmare Moon is like "OH MY GOSH, GREG, YOU ARE IMPOSSIBLE!" Its just like omg yes. You my friend are a literary genius of a comedy level! BRAVO CHAP, GOOD DAY, TOODLOO,
Sincerely,
MorningStarTheMage

Beginning of story: You need to think about ruling us logically. Then “Doesn’t anypony care about Princess Celestia?” oh my god that was just so perfect.

“THAT IS IT! (What about Celestia? Anypony?) I’VE HAD IT WITH YOUR INSOLENCE! (She might be stuck somewhere,) I DON’T CARE ABOUT THE CROPS! (like the sun, maybe.) I DON’T CARE ABOUT WORKERS! (She’s probably lonely.) I’VE HAD IT UP TO HERE WITH YOU PONIES! (I’m kinda lonely, actually.) THE NEXT TIME YOU ASK A QUESTION…(Anypony wanna read with me?)” Wh...what the hell!? Are you seriously critiquing Nightmare Moon in the middle of her speech?! That’s...oh my god that is awesome XD

Pinkie Pie bounced forward. “Ohmigosh ohmigosh ohmigosh! Nightmare Moon can be your friend!”
“NO,” the night ruler said.
My sides...omfg my sides...nice pinkie...very nice

Greg...omfg greg. He’s like..I don’t evne know. Best “side character” ever.

Friggin Airplane joke right there XD

“No, it’s fine,” Greg said. “It’s not like I’m here or anything.” I just...I love how Nightmare Moon is probably like “THIS IS NOT HOW THIS WAS SUPPOSE TO GO DOWN AT ALL!”

Lyra snorted from the crowd. “All the technology of the Time Lords and you choose a Powerpoint program.” Ahahahaahhaah

That was hysterical lol. Ending could use a little work but this was a fantastic spin on something unpredictable. I mean...this was just pure originality. Any chance you’re gonna make another chapter?

7355316

YAY! I'm so thrilled you're loving my comedy stories! This one was one of my favorites because it was so random, but so simple too. When you start to analyze evil plans, they tend to fall apart quickly. Obsessive analyzation is one of the best comedic tools, in my opinion. :)

7356678

Haha i had to reread my story again to remember most of those things, since I haven't read this one in over 4 years. :D You helped remind me why I like it. :)

Greg is best pony. There is no denying that. :) He needs to make a cameo in one of my newer works, because he is the first character I think about when I think about this story :)

That speech where Twilight is constantly interrupting Nightmare Moon has to be one of my most well-loved scenes in all of my writing, according to the comments section here :) I'm so happy I came up with that switch-off style.

I noticed in your comment and others that there are some who want another chapter. It's possible now that I could think of something to continue this. There are a lot of really technical things Nightmare Moon didn't think about.

I love jokes from Airplane! It's inspired me in so many ways. That and the The Naked Gun, Spaceballs, Robin Hood: Men in Tights and Blazing Saddles.

I just loved Lyra and Doctor breaking the fourth wall instead of Pinkie Pie. I just felt a Time Lord could do that and it worked perfectly. Funny how Lyra's line "When do I get to talk?" "When you get your own episode." response now makes even more sense :)

Thank you for checking out my story! *hugs* comments like yours make me keep writing! :D

You..... need to do more comedies.

7616906

I really do. O.o

I've been wondering how to approach them. Humor is really tricky. I have certain methods I like to do, like crackfics such as The Speedinging with Sweetie Derelle.
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/335357/sweetie-derelle-the-speedinging

Thanks!

“A couple of us guys got together and made these inflata-helmets in case, ya know, Celestia was in a bad mood one day…” NOW THIS IS PREPARED!!!!!

7629688

Well, ya know, sisters sometimes think alike. :P

Thanks for reading! *hugs*

Comment posted by LeatherPancakes deleted Oct 15th, 2017

It will only be a matter of time until Nightmare decides to punish Celestia by setting her in charge of ruling Equestria for the next 1000 years while Nightmare enjoys the silence of the moon.

Good story!
I especially enjoyed the part with Twilight's attempts to talk about Celestia.

8558660
Thanks! This is still one of my favs and Greg is still best pony :p

Thanks for reading and the kind words >^·^<

8559309
You're welcome!

By the way:
Has Greg a backstory of it's own or is that just an one-time gag?
I mean, like he said himself, it is a unusual name fo a pony.

I found your profile while randomly looking at comments on a random person's account and...
I'm glad. I'm really glad.

8699234
Thank you! It's comments like yours that keep me going, even if I haven't posted anything in a while here. Little bits of inspiration are all it takes sometimes for me to keep going. Thank you! :D

Sweet Celestia, that was funny. Love the Doctor out of nowhere. Question: how can Derpy fly in a vacuum?

But wings need air resistance to accelerate...


unless they go to equestria by fart-propulsion, it's unlikely they'll going to reach it in time.

Yaknow, I do find it interesting how most fanfics talk about how it isn't Nmm that thinks about the food, temp, and cycle problems, but instead it is the ponies of Equus. Even if they are cultists, it's still them, not Nmm.

8732684
Don't question it. Its Derpy. T~T

8732294

I assume by the same logic that allows a pegasus to fly in the first place... Magic *cue jazz hands*.

Now, breathing and talking in a vacuum, that's a bit harder to believe.

“THAT IS IT! (What about Celestia? Anypony?) I’VE HAD IT WITH YOUR INSOLENCE! (She might be stuck somewhere,) I DON’T CARE ABOUT THE CROPS! (like the sun, maybe.) I DON’T CARE ABOUT WORKERS! (She’s probably lonely.) I’VE HAD IT UP TO HERE WITH YOU PONIES! (I’m kinda lonely, actually.) THE NEXT TIME YOU ASK A QUESTION…(Anypony wanna read with me?)” Nightmare Moon spun around to face Twilight Sparkle. “Twilight Sparkle, you are the NEEDIEST pony I’ve ever seen!”

Twilight sparkle is kinda me right now. Lol i loved this paragraph.
Well written story. Nice.:yay:

8852933
Thank you! Of all the paragraphs in this story, that particular dual-dialogue section is the one i'm most proud of. :)

“Well, a doctor is a type of specialist who helps diagnose and treat illness, or a Time Lord who travels through time and space to monitor the universe as we know it, but that’s not important right now. What is important is that I know how to solve your economic conundrum,” Doctor Whooves said.

Spy Hard any one?

Random but not in the absurd way

Login or register to comment