• Published 29th Jan 2014
  • 3,573 Views, 344 Comments

Colts - Guy_Incognito



High times. Low lives. It's Button Mash's birthday and his two best friends decide to take the helpless and repressed shut-in out for a night of beers, girls, hedonism and debauchery. Nothing could go wrong.

  • ...
22
 344
 3,573

Bummer


Bummer


Somewhere between the dance floor — where that bitch Flitter still was — and the bar — where that double whiskey, neat, and a Lo-Brau chaser he needed were — Rumble found himself drinking in a curious, dumbfounding, and then ugly scene.

Furthest to his right, Rumble watched some sort of event happen between Button Mash and Blossomforth. One that was entirely nonsexual in nature. She — Blossomforth — shouted words at Button, he cowered, a bouncer came and Rumble realized, then and there, that Button’s night was over.

Oh, well. It sucked to be him.

At least that was what he’d thought. Then Blossomforth was pointing her hoof at him and the the bouncer was barreling towards him. He held Button by the neck and pushed aside mares and stallions left and right.

So, as it was, Rumble dusted himself off, shook his rear, straightened out his spine and put on the friendliest, most charming sort of grin.


Time to play it cool.

Flitter. What she’d said to him he would never forget, and, probably never forgive either. The insinuations she’d made about him, the way she’d been so fucking serious and not ironic when she’d said them, the way she’d so flatly rejected him in favour of that fucking poster child for abortion Brolly made him sick to his stomach. He wanted to hurt something. Anything. He wanted to thrash, and kick, and punch, and snap, and break a pony worse off than himself.

The bouncer bouncing towards him wasn’t going to stand in the way of him having a good night.

“Alright,” said the bouncer as his chest bumped into Rumble’s and knocked him steps back, “Let’s not make a scene out of this.”

“Suck my fucking cock, asshole,” Rumble fired right back, “You look like you get down that way.”

The bouncer snarled.

Good.

“If I wasn’t on probation,” stated the bouncer, shaking his head, “I’d take you and this fucking cock-sucker-” he pulled Button beside Rumble, “-Outside, kick you until you were retarded and drop your faggot asses in the Everfree for the Timberwolves to gnaw at-”

“Yeah, well, here’s the thing,” began Rumble. He licked the insides of his mouth and scanned the Gryphon’s much larger, undoubtedly more intimidating frame with a studious, irritated, glare, “You’re a pussy bitch.”

With the claw he wasn’t using the hold Button firmly around the pony’s tiny throat, the bouncer swung a curled, clenched, fist that hit Rumble on the side of his jaw, thrashing his head sideways and sending him tumbling backwards until he hit the ground.

It took a minute of absolute quiet in the club while Rumble lay on his ass, rubbed his cheek and moaned. He scratched his mane, leapt back up to his hooves and popped his back straight so that his chest pushed forwards. The bouncer’s open palm hit him flat on the chest and he fell onto the floor again.

Sighing, the bouncer lifted Rumble’s deflated body up by loose neck of his track jacket. With Button held by the neck in his left claw, Rumble like a kitten by the scruff in his right, the bouncer moved forwards.

He carried the two for the entire club to see; walking on his hind legs, he lifted Rumble — wiping blood off his chin, nose, and from the corners of his mouth — and Button Mash — who had submitted to his fate and had let his body go limp, with his head bowed to the floor — over the heads of the jeering crowd.

Rumble had other thoughts floating around in his head. Shady Daze was still out there somewhere and it disgusted Rumble to know that he was getting away with the same crime him and Button were being punished for.

“Hey, cock-face,” Rumble called, stopping thrashing about long enough to gear his head towards the bouncer, “If we’re getting kicked out, you might as well drag fuckin’ Shady over there with us! He was the one who came up with the plan to sneak in,” he lied with a proud smirk, “I think that it’s only fucking fair!”

Button’s face ran flush, “Rumble...

Button and Rumble were still dangling well over the heads of ponies around them. A group of pegasi — who Button recognized but whose names he couldn’t recall — were tossing ice cubes, straws and other tiny projectiles at him and at Rumble. The chewed up husk of a lemon wedge hit him on the cheek, left behind a wet mark and when he was done blinking the sting of citrus out of his eye he could see a pegasus laughing at him.

Great.

Rumble was firing curses at the ponies below him, still wiggling his body, trying to escape from the bouncer’s grip. The more he turned, twisted and coiled, the deeper the bouncer’s claws cut into the back of his track jacket, which, now, looked mangled and torn. Button admired Rumble’s resilience here and nothing else. It was almost sad to him to watch Rumble try so hard and fail so spectacularly.

They were still marching through the club, and, when they found Shady he was standing still behind a pair of ponies waiting in line with his head hung low, shoulders slouched. Fear, sorrow, than recognition all played across his face when he watched the bouncer approach, and, when the bouncer aimed his head towards the door he offered no resistance. He trotted forwards, dragging his hooves, to the entrance with the bouncer, Rumble and Button, all behind him. He did stop — Button, but not Rumble, noted — long enough to look back at the faces of all the club goers, gave a low, pained sigh then slouched.

A large metal door swung open, Rumble flew from the bouncer’s claw, hit the concrete face first and then lay with his legs and body sprawled outwards. Button came after him, landed on his rear, yelped, then got to his hooves. Shady, trotting casually, was the recipient of a violent kick to the ass that struck him so hard it launched him forwards and had him crashing onto the ground chest first.

“I don’t ever want to see you three here again,” the bouncer warned in a dead monotone, “If I do, I’ll-”

The threat of violence had came so many times, and so frequently, that Shady could brush this latest threat off. Water under the bridge, really; ‘Something, something, kick your teeth in, blah, blah, dead and buried, yada-yada pick my teeth with the bones,’

Whatever.

After the bouncer was gone and the door slammed shut behind him, Rumble was the first to get up. He groaned as he lifted himself up with shaking legs and grunted when he rolled his neck and it snapped into place. He turned to Button Mash and Shady Daze with a glare long across his humourless face.

Button was next to get up, propelling himself to his legs with all the force he had left to muster, then, bowing his head to the ground, he watched Shady get up, dust gravel and dirt off his shoulders, legs, chest and back then step before Rumble.

“What the fuck is wrong with you, Rumble?”

Rumble licked his lips, sucked his teeth then sniffed the air. He said nothing to Shady, until Shady nudged him on the ear and drew his eyes towards him. Rumble’s face was hard as stone.

“I said, what the fuck is wrong with you?” Shady shouted, “Why is everything always such a fucking travesty with you? Can you honestly not go more than twenty minutes without-”

“Shut the fuck up, Shady!”

Rumble threw himself forwards. His chest slammed against Shady’s and knocked him backwards and onto his ass. Looming over the fallen colt he spat in the space between Shady’s spread lower legs.

“I don’t want to hear any of your shit, alright?”

Shady got to his hooves, “No. No, it’s not fucking alright. It’s far from fucking alright. There is honestly something fundamentally wrong with you.”

Button, standing to the left of the two, scratched the concrete with his hoof, “Guys...”

Rumble bumped his chest against Shady again and threw his face forwards until only a breath separated them, “You better watch what you say, bud,” he warned, “I’m not in the fucking mood for one of your gay little hissy fits.”

“Eat me, asshole.”

Rumble didn’t budge, “I’m fucking warning you, Shady...”

“Guys- Guys, hey,” Button stammered from their left, “C-c’mon now... Can we not?”

“Shut up, Button,” Rumble snapped, throwing his head towards him.

Shady Daze pressed his hooves against Rumble’s chest and pushed him back, “Don’t yell at him.”

Rumble recovered, quickly, then pushed Shady, “Don’t tell me what to do, Shady.”

“I think it’s pretty obvious that someone has too,” Shady shouted, “You sure as shit can’t take care of yourself if someone isn’t there holding your hoof and looking after you like you should be wearing a fucking special helmet, Rumble.”

“What the fuck is that supposed to mean?”

Shady chuckled, but it was mean, and condescending, “What do you think it means, Rumble. Please... I'd really like to know.”

“Hey, retard. I’m not playing twenty fucking questions with you, alright?” said Rumble, “So say whatever the fuck it is you want to say.”

“I really don’t understand how you can be so stupid that you can screw up this much in one night,” explained Shady, still cackling at Rumble, “Honestly. Are you fucking eight years old, Rumble? You really act like you’re slow in the head sometimes.”

“Oh, you are going to talk to me about messing up?”

“That’s right,” Shady nodded, “I am.”

Rumble bent sideways so that his rear end faced Shady and began to wiggle his ass, “How about you kiss my fucking ass, Shady? How about that?”

“Guys, please…”

Neither Rumble nor Shady paid Button an inch of attention.

“How can you be such a fuckin’ prat?” Shady pondered, “Seriously. You came up with the plan, and look how well it turned out,” he puffed a sigh through his pursed lips and it came out sounding dreadful, “But, who’s really surprised though, right? It’s not like anyone couldn’t see this coming from a thousand miles away. I mean, it was your plan, and you are so very horrible at coming up with them,” he ran his tongue over his cracked, dry lips and sighed, “That, and you’re stupid.”

“This is the last time I’m going to tell you to fucking drop it, Shady,” Rumble insisted, “You don’t even know what you’re talking about. So shut your fucking mouth,”

Button, seeing a lull in the conversation, asserted himself, “C’mon, guys… Let’s not do this tonight, okay?”

Once again his pleas went ignored.

“Oh? I don’t know what I’m talking about?” Shady mimicked, throwing a faux whiney pitch to his tone, “I happen to know that you’re an inconsiderate dick. I know that you’re totally conceited. I know that you’ve gotten us kicked out of two fucking bars tonight now, and that you haven’t even apologized for it. And, on top of all that, everyone in town now knows that you can’t even get a girl who you swore up and down was totally nuts about you to go home with you.”

“Guys… Please don’t do this-”

“-I’m fucking warning you, Shady-”

“-Fuck you, Rumble,” Shady snarled, “You fucking begged me to sit there with that douche-bag Brolly, and I did. And, I told you he was going to be a dick, and, imagine my surprise when he was. And, yeah, I complained, but all you fucking had to do was live up to your end of the bargain and your dumb ass couldn’t even do that. All you were supposed to do was dance with Flitter, and, because everything you touch turns to shit you couldn’t even do that right.”

“GUYS!”

Rumble and Shady turned to look at the colt who’d dug himself into the ground and leered at them.

“Guys. Look… We all messed up a bit in there,” said Button, “But, hey... let’s not let this ruin the night, okay? I mean, it’s hardly past midnight. We could still make it to The Icarus to catch a movie, or something like that.”

“Oh, you’re really one to talk, Button,” said Rumble to a pleading, gentle, look from Button, “Yeah. I heard what went down with you and Blossomforth. You’re just as much at fault here as any of us. More, probably.”

Shady turned to Button, “What’s he talking about?”

“That… That was your fault,” shouted Button, “Both of you.”

Shady lifted up a single brow, “What’re you talking about, Button?”

“You guys kept saying all that stupid stuff about how Blossom wanted to take me home with her,” said Button, “Y-you went on and on about it! You kept telling me about how all she wanted was to have sex with me-”

“Yeah. Because she’s a fucking slut,” Rumble snorted, “So what?”

“Well, actually she didn’t want that,” shouted Button, “Or… maybe if she did want that, she definitely doesn’t now. Not after I embarrassed the heck out of myself in front of half the freaking town. She… she said she thought that I was sweet, and nice, and then, when I told her I didn’t want to, um… you-know-what with her, she called me a sexist pig. And, I’m not a sexist pig! And, it only happened because I listened to you two… jerkwads talk about her like she was some, frickin’, pornstar, or something.”

Unrestrained from his usual self conditioned tactics of restraint, hardened by self-pity, shame and anger, and with a mind half swallowed by liquor’s loosening emotional effects, Button Mash spoke what was on his mind.

“All night long both of you buttholes have been telling me what to do. All night. You told me all about your stupid plan for me to have sex, which-” his cheeks turned red, “-I was alright with at first, because I thought it would be fun. Well, this isn’t fun. None of it is. You two have been fighting, and arguing, and yelling, and screaming at each other all night. That was bad, but what’s worse than that is that you’ve been telling me to do all these stupid things all night, and you know what? I’m tired of it,” Button panted, “And, you know what else? Neither of you two even asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday.”

Shady looked ready to speak, but a stern, commanding look from Button told him otherwise.

“Now, I’ll tell you what I wanted. All I wanted to do was spend some time with my friends. That’s all. I wanted to have cake, and open gifts, and play videogames until my eyes bled. I didn’t want to ‘get laid’ for my birthday. I didn’t want to get wasted. I didn’t want to get kicked out of bars. And, I really didn’t want to get embarrassed in front of ponies I know in town because I listened to bad advice from both of you two... dolts!”

He looked back and forth between Shady Daze and Rumble’s, saw the dumb and stupid expressions on their faces. He sighed. He’d said all that needed to be said. Hopefully they got the message, now.

Silence came over them as they stood stupidly in an open, empty lot outside the club. They fidgeting with their hooves, and took turns balancing their weight from one side to the other, but never did they make eye contact with each-other for more than thirty seconds without turning away. This was until Button broke the quiet.

“It’s not too late to make it to The Icarus,” he said. Giving the faintest trace of good natured enthusiasm for Rumble and Shady to feed from, “I think we’ve all had a pretty silly night, and, I don’t want to jinx us or anything, but I feel like we’re all mature enough to make it there without anything stupid happening?”

Rumble turned his gaze past Button and towards Shady, who he leered at. His lips rolled back to show the pink of his gums and the white of his teeth, “I’m not going anywhere with that dick-wad.”

“Blow me,”

“You’d fucking like that wouldn’t you?”

“Asshole.”

“Dick.”

“Retard.”

“Takes one to know one, you shit-sniffer.”

Shady grinned at Rumble in a mean and callous way, “That’s the pot calling the kettle black, Rumble.”

Rumble’s head flew back. He puffed out his chest, and a growl escaped from his throat, “Fuck does that mean?”

Shady’s grin back to Rumble was as wicked as it was seeping with self-justified resentment, “Like you don’t already know. Put you, Brolly, and your brother in the same room and suddenly you’re Equestria’s biggest brown noser.”

“Fuck. Off.” Rumble said, and then cleared his throat obnoxiously loud and spat a sickly yellow ball of phlegm and snot at Shady’s front hooves. Shady stepped back, turned an ugly glance at Rumble and spoke again,

“You want so badly to be them,” he said, baring his teeth at Rumble like fang and sneering, “And don’t pretend like you don’t, either. See, I’ve been thinking about it, and I realized something. That shit with Flitter? How you think you’re in love with her? The real reason that you want her is because Brolly already has her. That’s all.”

The smirk crawling across the sides of Shady’s mouth made Rumble want to gag.

“But, I think you already know that.”

Finished, Shady smiled and Rumble spat another wad of nastiness beside him,

“For the last fucking time, Shady. If you say another fucking word about Flitter I will fucking deck you.”

To their right, Button stood shaking his head and rolling his eyes, “Are you guys serious right now?” he spat, choking a little on disdain, “Are you really back to this again?”

Rumble turned to look on him with all the good natured enthusiasm he could muster up, “Look, Button. I’m down for whatever. Just so long as fucking cock-breath over there can promise to keep his mouth shut,” he said with a scowl he threw at Shady, “But if he says another word-”

“Oh? What’re you gonna do, Rumble? Hit me? Yeah... I’ll bet you would. Because that’s what Brolly would do, right? And we all know how much you love Brolly’s sloppy seconds-”

The cold, hard, fetlock of Rumble’s right leg struck him hard across the cheek. Rumble put his full weight into the punch, and the force of the hit made Shady Daze stumble. He tripped over himself when his left leg fell against his right and landed backside on the hard concrete.

“I fucking warned you, Shady.”

Rumble was screaming and throwing himself on top of Shady’s chest, straddling the pony by the waist, pulling him by the neck of his jacket so their eyes could meet. Hot breaths of air travelled like gunfire from his nostrils, to Shady’s swollen face and sweat damp fur.

“I fucking told you what would happen.”

A pair of weak, trembling, hooves grabbed the mangled, torn, remains of Rumble’s track top and then he was being pulled off of Shady. Button, shaking spastically, threw Rumble to his right then fell back a few steps. When he regained his balance he wiped sweat from his brow,

“Rumble, stop,” he cried, “What- What are you doing?”

Rumble stood in place, exhaling deep breaths of air and snot from his nostrils while his whole body shook. His eyes had turned cold and hard. There wasn’t a trace of joy or goodwill on his face.

“Fucking faggot.”

Once the words had left his mouth, him, Button and Shady understand what this was. This was the climax to something that had started light and jovial, and turned way too ugly far too fast.

This was the beginning of the end of the night.

Button’s eyes wandered to Shady, then back to Rumble, "Dude…”

Snarling, snapping his jaw and breathing deep and heavy, Rumble was a proper mess of misplaced emotions. He stood like that for a moment, never shrinking or calming, aiming his malice at Shady who lay, groaning. Rumble’s nostrils grew and shrunk, his eyes stayed small and focused, and when Shady started to get back up, Rumble moved to charge him, until a sharp look from Button stopped him.

Shady groaned.

A punch to the face was nothing new. Often they came because Rumble was running his mouth and Shady was running interference between him and a third party, or because he’d stepped between Rumble and Brolly, or Rumble and Thunderlane. A punch in the face from Rumble, as opposed to a punch in the face for Rumble was something new.

He couldn’t say he liked it.

It stung fiercely across the right side of his head. His back, too, was sore from where his back had twice now struck against concrete. The liquor in him did little to dull the pain. He had his eyes turned to the ground while he lifted back up. He didn’t bother to stare at Button, or at Rumble before he spun to face the open stretch of empty road that led back to the town square.

Quietly, he trotted forwards.

Behind him he could hear Rumble mumbling to himself something that sounded a lot like justifying his actions. After that came the sound of frantically dashing hooves picked, then a hoof tapped him by the shoulder and when he turned Button Mash was standing before him with a muted softness in his eyes.

“Shady, wait.” he said and threw himself in front of Shady as a symbolic gesture to stop him. Shady could get around. Shady was faster than Button. Button knew this.

“Please don’t go,” Button begged him, “We- I’ll talk to Rumble. I promise. I… I swear, Shady. He’ll say sorry. I know he will. Just please, please, don’t leave?”

“I’m tired, Button,” said Shady, softly,

“No. Shady, c’mon,” said Button, “Let’s- Okay, listen. Let’s just go to The Icarus. Just me and you? Rumble… he doesn't’ have to come if you don’t want him too? I promise. Crusader’s honor. I don’t- I just don’t want you to end your night like this.”

“Why the fuck shouldn’t he?” Rumble called from behind them, “He knows what he did was wrong.”

Button whipped his head backwards, sharply,

“Shut it, Rumble,”

He turned back to Shady, dropped a hoof onto his shoulder and smiled, dimly, at him, “Shady. Dude. It’s still my birthday, you know? And no one should feel bad on their best friend’s birthday, right? That’s, uh- Well, it’s, like, a party foul or something. And-”

“Talk to him about party fouls, Button,” Shady groaned and tossed his muzzle at Rumble, “I’m not the one who’s ruined everything for both us tonight, and, I’m definitely not the one who just called me a fucking faggot.”

Before Rumble could speak in his defense, and explain to Shady all the reasons why he did deserve it, a quick glance from Button kept him quiet. Facing Shady again, Button let himself move closer to the other.

Button gave a soft smile. Shady feigned his.

“He- Shady... I’m sure he knows how wrong that was. I can’t- I won’t pretend like I know how it feels to hear him say that, but-,” he stuttered, “But, dude. You know how Rumble is. You’ve known him longer than me, even. He’s- He’s freaking Rumble, Shady. He’s a dolt, and a dummy, and he doesn’t look before he leaps, and he’s selfish, and vain, and-”

He paused.

And?” Shady begged.

“And… well, you did say some pretty mean things about him, and Flitter, too.”

Shady made moves to speak. He opened his mouth, but this went ignored by Button who continued,

“What Rumble did was totally, totally, uncalled for,” he said, “But, you’re smart enough to know that you were… You were baiting him, Shady. What he did was stupid, but neither one of you is totally right, or totally wrong here. That doesn’t mean the night is over though. If… if you just apologize, then, he’ll apologize and we can just put this past us-”

“Fuck that,” said Shady, “I’m not apologizing. Not to that asshole.”

The hoof Button had against his shoulder squeezed the tense muscles. Button’s smile dipped into a frown and his eyes got soft and wet, “No. Dude, please,” he said, “You know he didn’t mean it-”

“Then why did he say it?”

For an unimpressive amount of time Button stayed quiet.

“Shady,” said Button, “After all the crazy messed up stuff tonight… We can’t let it end like this.”

Shady sighed, shook Button’s hoof from his shoulder and turned his eyes to the ground, “Sorry, Button.”

And then he was back to heading towards Ponyville square.

“Yeah, walk away,” Rumble called out, “You fuckin’ pussy.”

Button turned a hard glare towards Rumble, “Will you quit it?”

When he turned back Shady had already began the slow trot back towards town. He was paces ahead of Button and Rumble and from the determined strut he showed no signs of stopping. Not for Button, or Rumble, or anyone.

“Shady,” Button called out, picking up his hooves and racing after the fleeing pony. “Shady, wait. Just-” he stumbled over a rock, fell forwards, picked himself up and caught his breath, “Just hold on a sec.”

Shady didn’t look back.

Grumbling, Button kicked the stone that had tripped him far to his left. It bounced against the grass and skipped forwards. Shady was far ahead already. Too far gone. Even if, by chance, Button could catch up — which he could — there was no amount of apologetic words he could string into a sentence to convince him to stay the course of the night. Button realized this now. He watched Shady’s body as it shrunk against the backdrop of empty road and lifeless buildings with the lights out. Then, Shady was gone.

This was when he turned back to Rumble.

“Rumble, for Discord’s sake,” Button groaned, “Are you happy with yourself? That’s your friend too who you just chased away.”

“Yeah, well... he was asking for it,” said Rumble, “If he’d just kept his fucking mouth shut-”

“Rumble,” said Button, sternly, “You... You said- You called him a… a faggot, Rumble. You shouldn’t have ever said that. Not to Shady.”

Button said the word ‘Faggot’ with a whispered softness worthy of the taboo attached to it.

A moment came where Rumble’s face grew as close to guilt as he could muster; his eyes softened and he moved his jaw around like his tongue felt uncomfortable in his mouth. This passed, and, once again he was scowling and wearing the familiar look of self-assured excellence he’d had on all night previously.

“At least I’m still here,” said Rumble, “No sense in ruining what’s left of our night, eh?”

He trotted up beside Button, threw a leg across his neck and hugged the colt’s head against his shoulder. He brushed his cheek against Button’s neck, pulled back, and gave his friend a dopey grin.

“C’mon. We don’t need Sir. Pussy-Pants to have fun,” Rumble insisted, nudging Button’s waist, “Let’s go have us a hoot and a holler. Eh? Eh?”

Button opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. There wasn’t anything left to say. Not at this point in the night. Rumble wasn’t in any condition to make amends to Shady, and he certainly wouldn’t chase after him. Not how he was. A drunk — and on drugs — Rumble was a stubborn, hard headed ass. Something he’d proven time and time again over the course of the night. The full weight of his actions wouldn’t occur to him until sobriety kicked in, and Rumble was far away from that.

Shady could be fine on his own. Rumble would not. Not with the toxic cocktail of hard-drugs, cheap beer, and choice liquors in his system. Button had seen the wreck and decay Rumble could cause, and that had been with both Button and Shady close enough by to pull him away. Left alone, and to his own devices there was no telling what Rumble could do.

Following Rumble, and not Shady, Button was saving the later from getting himself locked away in a damp, dark prison cell. At least, that’s what he told himself.

“Let’s get a bite,” said Rumble, “I’m fucking starving.”

Button stared back at the spot where Shady had taken away, then at Rumble. He shook his head. Rumble didn’t see it. He couldn’t, or he wouldn’t, but it didn’t matter. Someone had to be there to keep him grounded. Button would have loved for that to be him and Shady, but the reality was that it wouldn’t be.

Giving up on having one more existential crisis that night, Button Mash shrugged his heavy shoulders, slumped and glanced up at Rumble.

“Alright.”