• Published 19th Mar 2012
  • 7,198 Views, 199 Comments

Acceptance - Meatabex



The story follows a human-transformed-pony that discovers the magic of friendship in Equestria.

  • ...
16
 199
 7,198

Chapter 5: Shroud of Darkness

“Hey Leafwing! Wake up!” Yawning, I tried to pull the covers off of me, when I realized that I didn’t have fingers. How do ponies live without fingers? Wiping my sleepy eyes off, I stretched my legs, and stumbled onto my feet again, Sliding the covers off my warm fuzzy back, I glanced about my surroundings. I didn’t remember much of what happened last night, but-

“Leafwing!” A voice called out. Oh yeah, that was my name. Leafwing. I looked in the direction of the voice. “It’s almost mid morning, silly!” It was Lyra, sitting near a kitchen counter along with Bonbon, who was busy pouring a mixture of hay and oats into a blender.

“Oh, hey Lyra!” Again, I was slightly uncomfortable with my voice after hearing it again, but I started to get used to it. Brushing my uncombed mane back with a hoof, I stumbled over strewn bed covers and pillows towards Lyra. “Where’s Vinyl?”

“Scratch?” Lyra laughed. “Oh, Octavia and her are still sleeping.” Sure enough, lying on the floor right next to me, were the two musical mares, still cuddling unconsciously.

A grinding sound brought me back to the attention of Bonbon, who started to blend the oats and hay together. “Who wants oat shake?” she asked aloud.

“Is it any good?” I responded. Lyra and Bonbon both nodded. Finishing the blend, she quickly poured a glass for me. “Healthiest mix in Ponyville!”

Someone had started to knock on the door. “I’ll get it!” Lyra yelled. The pounding grew progressively louder as Lyra began to trot towards the door.

“So how’re you doing?” Bonbon asked, pouring herself a cup. “Fine, I guess,” I replied, clumsily grabbing the oat shake with my hooves, and-

SMASH!

A yellow and grey blur broke through the front door, slamming Lyra against the wall. The blur tripped over a pillow and smacked into the wall, knocking over the blender in the process, which splattered its contents all over Scratch and Octavia.

“Wha- wha’s going on?” Scratch quickly hobbled onto her feet. “Ew, is this oat shake all over my coat?” Octavia moaned, shaking herself off. Oat shake covered the floor and pillows.

“Hey!” Bonbon yelled. “I told you to put the mail in the mailbox, Derpy!” The door smashing pegasus grinned sheepishly.

“I’m sorry,” she stared with a strange aloof gaze, hoofing the ground. It seemed to be the same strange eyed pony I had met at the Sugarcube Corner yesterday! “I just don’t know what went wrong!”

“It’s ok Derpy,” Lyra laughed. “It’s just oat shake! Last time you knocked over that hot pan of sour sauce, now that was much worse.” Bonbon muttered in agreement. “Now what’s the rush?”

“It’s an urgent message for Leafwing!” the grey pony bounced happily. “That’s why I was so fast!”

“For Leafwing?” Bonbon echoed. Derpy nodded quickly. “Ya! I asked around if anypony knew who she was, and then I heard she was last seen here, so I came as fast as I could!”

“Mail for me?” I was confused. “Why would anyone send mail to me?”

The grey pony shrugged. “Beats me! I didn’t even know about you until I got this urgent mail mission!”

“Hm,” I examined the letter carefully. The stamp seemed to be a depiction of a royal castle, complete with a pony with wings and a horn, looking up at the sun. The seal was marked with a symbol of the sun as well.

“Is that the royal seal of Canterlot?!?” Bonbon cried, peeking at the letter.

“What’s that?” I asked.

“Only the most extravagant mail is delivered utilizing that seal!” Octavia piped up.

“Basically,” Scratch explained, “it's usually only for VIPs, if you know what I mean.”

“Are you from Canterlot?” Lyra asked. “Everypony from Canterlot gets mail from Celestia herself every now and then.”

“Like Twilight, from the library!” the mailmare, or Derpy, added, trying to be helpful.

I ignored the ponies, and tore off the seal with my mouth. Unfortunately, I was not too careful with it, and the letter fell to the floor.

I picked up the letter. As soon as I took one look at it, I knew something was wrong.

Dear Leafwing,

I’m sure you’ve heard of the term fear, before, am I correct? Fear, the awfully negative word used to describe distress. Fear of spiders, fear of death, fear of change. You know there is a suffix used specifically for the term fear? It’s called -phobia. So, another way of saying a fear of spiders is arachnophobia. Necrophobia means fear of death. And Metathesiophobia means fear of change, I’m sure you’re quite familiar with that one. Well, here is a new word for you. Pyrophobia. Do you know what that means? It means fear of fire. But of course there is no fire here, is there?

“Ignis.” A voice emanated from the letter. Suddenly, the letter burst into flames.

“Ah!!!” I screamed, dropping the burning letter, startled by the voice. It fell to the floor, and began eating away at the wooden carpentry. I backed away from the flames, which proceeded to grow larger and larger.

“Oh no!” I moaned. “Quick!” Bonbon yelled. “Somepony grab a bucket of water!”

As I glanced back at the fire, I felt an image burning into my eyes. It was a black cloud, some strange being. Wait, it couldn’t be... Had that thing returned? How had it-

“Leafwing! Snap out of it!” Lyra yelled. I shook my head, and yelped as flames licked my hooves.

Lyra’s horn shone, and brown gunk hit the flames, which quickly faltered as Bonbon stamped out the embers. As suddenly as the fire started, it ended, the only evidence remaining as smoke smelling strangely of oatmeal and burnt wood.

“Well, I’m glad oat shake is good for stopping fires,” Bonbon groaned, waving away oat flavored ashes. Silence then joined the smoke to fill the air for a full ten seconds before Vinyl took a deep breath.

“Now, what the -hack- hay is going on -hack- here?” Vinyl yelled, coughing on the haze.

“I don’t know!” I looked at the wax seal. “I think... I think something really strange is happening.” Was it back? And how had it followed me here?

“Indeed,” Octavia pouted. “I think we all deserve some sort of explanation from you, Leafwing.” All the ponies in the room stared at me intently.

“So maybe I haven’t been completely honest with you guys...” I mumbled sadly.

“Well, speak up, if you have something to say!” Vinyl barked.

“We don’t care, we just want to know the truth,” Bonbon added.

“Yeah,” Lyra tried to push back tears.

“I’m staying to listen to this!” the mailmare flapped her wings a few times, then sat next to Lyra.

“Well, it’s kinda complicated,” I tried to explain. I stopped for a long pause, trying to think of how to say it. I thought of how to tell them about what happened to the pony with the purple mane, Rarity, and what happened to the other letter that caught on fire soon after. But then they would ask about how I got to know those other ponies, and I’d have to tell them the truth about the past, or I would risk losing them as friends. I really didn’t want to tell them the truth. It would be too painful for these happy ponies to understand. Even trying to explain the concept of... death, would be too hard, too difficult. No, I couldn’t tell them the truth. I’d lose everything, I couldn’t.

“Yeah?” Heartstrings listened patiently.

“The point is-” I stalled a little more, still trying to see if I could rephrase it in a way that would help them understand. “Um, don’t go around telling anypony this. You know what, never mind, you wouldn’t understand...It’s too complicated, and I don’t want anypony to get hurt over it, or think differently of me for it, or... I can’t...” I tried to swallow back waves of hurt.

Everyone awkwardly looked at each other for a bit. Then...

“You can trust me, Leaf,” Vinyl started. “You helped fix a problem I had with Octavia for five whole years in a single night! And if we’re not friends after that, then at least you can trust me with the same things I trusted you with.”

“Same,” Octavia stepped forward. “I concur with Vinyl. Although it is undeniable that you do appear to be a newcomer, such a label should not prevent you from my certitude.”

Lyra spoke up as well. “Leafwing, if it really hurts you to speak the truth, you don’t have to. But I know it also hurts to hold in a secret, just like Vinyl. Maybe you’d hurt less if you told us the truth.”

But what if it only hurts everypony more? I thought. Another voice interrupted my thoughts.

“Leafie, if you really have something important to say, say it. It will help everyone, trust me.” Bonbon had her hoof to my back. I swallowed a large gulp, and then started.

“Well, I come from a world really far from here, or Equestria. I mean, really far. I don’t even know how far. I think it might be my fault for everything bad happening here. You see, I came from a place where bad things always happened to me. It was a place from before I,” I struggled to find words to describe my change of appearance, “before I had wings. And, in that place, I was afraid of everything. Everything was out to hurt me. And that’s why I didn’t want you to know, because Equestria is so happy, and I lived in a place where...” My voice faltered.

“Well, go on!” Scratch urged.

“Hey!” Lyra shouted, standing up. “Don’t rush her!”

“It’s ok Lyra,” I mumbled. “Nobody should have to know what happened to me... but right after it happened, I ended up here, in Equestria, I guess.”

I continued to tell them every minute of my life here, from meeting Fluttershy, to seeing those ponies fight off Rarity, to the earlier letter burning up, to those ponies explaining the strange events occurring around the town, to them leaving.

“Those six ponies always leave on these kinds of quests,” Bonbon snorted. “And they always think that they’re the best of friends. It really bugs me sometimes.”

“And they always deal with problems in Ponyville whenever something bad happens,” the mailmare added. “Like that one time, they somehow fixed up the town hall without me!” All the other ponies in the room face hoofed themselves.

“Whatever is the case, I am confident they will come back victorious, as usual,” Octavia shrugged.

“Yeah, like that one time they took out that Discord guy!” Vinyl laughed. “I still remember when tornadoes started to spin out of my turntables. Can you believe it? Tornadoes! Luckily, I saved all my remixed Lil’ Hoof records.”

“I remember when the parasprites came,” a tear came to Lyra’s eye as she began to reminisce something, probably traumatizing. “My pie... my harp... my house... eaten!” Bonbon went over to comfort Lyra. “And it was that Fluttershy mare that started it too!” Bonbon said with a hint of resentment.

“No, it couldn’t have been,” I gasped. “Fluttershy wouldn’t do that!”

“Of course it wasn’t on purpose!” Bonbon sighed. “But sometimes those ponies get into trouble trying to do things their way.”

“Well, everypony has their own flaws,” the wild eyed mail pony reckoned with a grin. “I mean, what would the world be without its problems?” As I looked, I could see a wink of wisdom in those irregular eyes.

“So, anyways, what you’re saying is that since you appeared,” Vinyl asserted, “weird things have been happening in Ponyville?”

“Yeah,” I muttered, “I guess.”

“And you think it’s your fault?” Octavia asked.

“Well, it seems like it is...” I started, but Derpy cut me off.

“I’m sure you didn’t do it!” she giggled. “You’re way too nice of a pony to do all these terrible things to Ponyville!”

“I agree,” Bonbon added. “strange things happen in Equestria all the time.” Octavia and Vinyl nodded in agreement. I felt a little better about my predicament.

“But still,” I asked, “why would anyone send me a letter, only to have it burn up in my face?”

“We’re just as confused as you, dear,” Octavia replied.

“What did the letter say?” Scratch asked impatiently.

“Well,” I wracked my head to recall what the letter had said, “something about fear. It was really weird writing, and kinda scary too. And I do remember it saying something about fire. And...” I paused again as I approached talking about the dark thing in the flames. “Well, there was something in the fire...”

“Huh?” Everypony said simultaneously.

“It’s something weird, I’m not sure what, but it might’ve followed me from my world...” I lied slightly.

“It doesn’t make sense,” Lyra scratched her mane. “If only we knew what was causing all this to happen...”

“Wait!” Derpy shrieked. We all turned to look at her. “I know somepony that knows all about everything! He’ll be able to tell you everything that you need to know!”

-----

Five minutes later I found myself knocking on a door of a peculiar house. My hoof made a resounding slam against the dark hued wood.

“Are you sure this person is reliable?” I asked.

“Of course!” Derpy grinned brightly. “If there’s anypony that knows everything, it would be this one.”

“Wha, who is this?” the door open inwards, and a pony walked out. “Dear heavens, who- Derpy? My assistant? What are you...”

“Hey Doctor!” the mailmare greeted. “Leafwing over here wants to know about everything, and I told her that you were the only pony that knows everything, so now she’s gonna ask you everything what she wants to know about everything!” On everything, she flipped over backwards, landing next to Lyra and Vinyl, who had decided to accompany me here.

“Oh dear,” he mumbled, straightening a tie, much like Octavia’s bowtie when she was performing. The tie was wrapped around a collar, much like a shirt, except for the fact that he was not wearing a shirt. It was just a collar and tie, which made for an noticable and prestigious appearance.

I suddenly realized that this was the first male pony I’d talked to, and I began to feel nervous for some reason. The feeling was mutual, apparently. “I do apologize for my appearance,” he stammered, straightening his tie. He was talking in a British accent, and I wondered if there were areas in Equestria where such a dialect could exist. “I was working on an invention of mine. Please, do come in.”

As we walked in, I could see the house was a mess. All over the place, there were piles of metal, debris, and the occasional how-to book.

“I am so sorry,” he scrambled to clump the pieces together, “I apologize for the condition of this place,” as he scurried around, his hind leg smacked against an elevated floorboard. “WOAH!” He flipped over and smacked his muzzle into the hardwood floor.

“Oof!” he shook his head, his frizzy mane shaking as he got up to his feet. “Derpy, I thought I was paying you to keep this place clean!”

“I’m sorry,” Derpy replied innocently, and a little frightened, “I was just so worked up over getting some mail delivered, you know that’s my other job, right?

“I know,” the doctor said gruffly, “but its been this way for weeks now!”

“But I had weeks of mail to deliver that I was behind on!” the wild eyed pony protested meekly.

“Can’t you put your mail job aside temporarily?” the doctor asked. “Just like you did with my job?”

“Well,” Derpy shied away slowly, turning her head away, “there aren’t many mailmares around anymore... so... I have to take on everypony else’s work!”

“Look,” the doctor put a hoof to his forehead, “it’s difficult enough for me to pick up after myself, especially when I have just come upon the most brilliant design!” His voice was strained with frustration. “And my science experiments leave me with no time to deal with menial things as cleaning!”

“Menial?” Tears began to come to Derpy’s eyes as she repeated the word. “M-M-Menial?” The doctor just realized his mistake, and I could feel his unease instantly.

“No wait,” he cried. “I didn’t mean-”

“Yes YOU DID!” Derpy screamed, and ripples of angst and bitterness slammed into me like a hammer. “YOU ALWAYS DO THIS TO ME, SAYING HOW I’M NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU, HOW YOU DON’T NEED ME!” She now flapped her wings furiously, and kicked up a gust that began to knock over various items in the house. “WELL, IF I WASN’T THERE FOR YOU, YOU WOULDN’T BE HERE!” She sobbed loudly, tears falling to the floor, and zoomed out of the house. I just stared as the doctor cringed slightly.

“How could you?” Lyra cried. She began to tear up as well, and ran off to follow Derpy.

“Now you’ve done it!” Vinyl muttered angrily to the doctor. “Let’s go, Leaf! We gotta find her!”

Lyra and Vinyl took off after Derpy. I began to follow, when I heard the doctor speak again. “I’m so sorry,” his lip trembled, and then he fell to the floor, legs sprawled.

“Apology accepted,” I replied half-jokingly, and stepped toward him, “but you shouldn’t be apologizing to me.”

“I know,” he said, eyes watering, staring at the floor glumly. “I didn’t mean to do that do her, I was just stressed out by the day’s work, and she’s too much for me to handle!”

“Stressed, huh?” I looked around the room again. “What were you working on?”

“Just a... nothing,” the doctor replied hastily, and stood up, but I could tell immediately he was hiding the truth. “it’s not a big deal, really.”

“No, I think it is,” I said firmly. “If you were so concentrated on it that you had to hurt Derpy’s feelings over it, then it has to be serious.” As he blushed nervously, I put a hoof on his shoulder.

“Can I... trust you with a secret?” the brown coated colt mumbled.

“Sure!” I replied quickly. “But, um, first, you should apologize to Derpy, I think.”

“Oh yeah!” he remembered, and blushed again. “Um, well, I’ll tell you as we go.”

We headed out of the debris-filled house, and made our way to the general direction that Derpy had disappeared off to.

“Well,” he started, “I’m actually not quite sure how I ended up here. As in Equestria, I mean. When I came here, I was... sort of part of an experiment, or whatever... I mean, I was experimenting on myself... you see, what I wanted to do was to create a sort of... time machine...” he wiped his brow, and continued, still staring at the floor, “in any case, I woke up in the forest over there, as a pony, and... I’m not sure what happened...” he stopped, and looked up at me. He shook his head, and I realized I was entranced by his story. “You don’t get any of it, do you?”

“No, I get it! Go on!” I urged. He grumbled, and shook his head again.

“No! You think I’m crazy!” he shouted miserably.

“No I don’t!” I shook any emotion from my face. “I... well I... I believe you...”

“You... you do?” he looked up again, surprised.

“Yeah,” I whispered almost, “look, I’m not from Equestria either. I belong on a planet called Earth...”

“Earth?!?” he shrieked, and tripped backwards, “Earth? You mean in the outer arm of the Milky Way?” He poked my chest with a hoof.

“Uh, I guess,” I mumbled, now very confused.

“You are a lifesaver!” the Doctor laughed happily, almost maniacally, “I’m so glad I’m not alone...”

“Wait, you’re from Earth, too?” I cried. He shook his head, and we continued to walk. “Well, I’m actually not sure exactly where I’m from, but I’ve been to Earth a few times before.”

“So, you’re an alien?!?” I said with alarm. He laughed, “well, I wouldn’t say that. We look very similar, so much, you couldn’t tell the difference between you Homo Sapiens and us.”

“Oh,” I was now confused. Were there aliens around me, then, while I was still a human? While absorbed in my thoughts, I almost ran into a tree. “So, how’d you get here?”

“I was going to ask you the same question!” he laughed again. “You humans are far behind technology-wise, but it’s possible that you’re from a different time period... what time period are you from?”

“Um, early two thousands, I guess,” I said, “look, I’m not sure how I got here, I just... something...something happened...” Our conversation was cut short as we neared the edge of a forest.

“That’s the forest I appeared in!” the doctor pointed, but I was looking at Lyra, who was sitting at the edge of the forest, sobbing.

“Lyra! What happened?” I quickly galloped over to the crying unicorn.

“Derp...Derpy... she went into the Everfree!” she said morosely.

“Is that a bad thing?” I asked uncertainly.

“Rumor has it that -hic- everypony that was gone in has -hic- never come out!” she wailed.

“Now that’s rubbish!” the doctor grumbled. “I came out of the forest just fine, thank you.” Even as he said that, I could feel a slight nervousness about him as he stood by the forest entrance.

“Why would she run in there?” I asked.

“I don’t know,” Lyra hiccuped, and then continued. “Vinyl left to get help.”

As if on cue, Bonbon, Octavia, Vinyl, and a tan colored pony with grey hair quickly trotted up behind us.

“And there’s the entrance to the forest!” Vinyl yelled breathlessly, “where Derpy went!”

“Oh dear,” the grey maned mare put a hoof to her mouth. “well, there must be something we can do!”

“How about... panic?” Octavia moaned, shaking in fear. I could feel fear, unease, and even anger coming off in waves around me. Emotions were running high.

“Well, we need to save her!” Lyra thought aloud. “We need Twilight and her -hic- friends! They fix everything!”

“That’s the problem,” I replied sadly. “they all left for Canterlot, and I haven’t seen them since.”

“Yes, I must say,” Bonbon agreed, “Pinkie and her usual group of friends weren’t at my party at all!”

“I certainly did not witness any of her consort around during my performance!” Octavia added.

“This is all your fault!” Vinyl jabbed a hoof at the doctor, who cringed in fear.

“I’m truly sorry!” he stammered, “I didn’t mean to at all!”

“Well, whatever you meant,” Bonbon muttered, “it made Derpy so sad, she actually went into the forest! And the only ponies I’ve seen make it out of there were Twilight and her friends.”

“And that one Applebloom filly,” Octavia added.

“I’m going in,” the doctor suddenly said. All the other ponies gasped.

“And who are you?” the grey maned pony asked.

“That’s Doctor Whooves, Miss Mayor,” Vinyl said. “And he’s the reason that Derpy ran into the forest in the first place!”

“I take responsibility for my actions,” the doctor turned, and began walking in. He didn’t appear afraid at all, but I could easily feel it.

“You’re crazy!” Lyra cried, “there are dangerous creatures in there!”

”It is my duty to save her, whether I live or not,” the brown colt gritted his teeth, and charged in. A pang of anxiety shot through me suddenly, as I realized I needed him. He was the only pony that understood what I was going through, and losing him would be unbearable, especially after what he had told me.

“Wait!” I yelped, and followed him.

“Leafwing! Don’t do it!” Bonbon shouted. “It’s too dangerous!”

“No! I have to!” I yelled back, and chased after the doctor.

-----

Stumbling through the underbrush and foliage of the forest, I cried out the doctor’s name a few times in distress. Tripping on a branch, I flipped over, and landed on a patch of exotic blue flowers. Shaking myself off, I continued. The doctor couldn’t have gone far.

“Doctor!” I yelled, straining my voice. The thicket of flowers, branches, and tall roots impeded my progress. How far had I veered off the path? “Whooves, don’t go...” my voice was so weak. I rambled through, until I almost saw the dirt road. Smashing through the branches, I flapped my wings, trying to get closer using any boost I could.

Finally, I managed to land onto the path. Continuing down the dirt road, I could barely see where it led to. The road was only visible up to a few feet ahead of me now. Was it night time, or was the forest really pitch black like this during the day? I couldn’t tell anymore. As I stumbled along in the darkness, I wished I had brought a flashlight, or lamp, or something. I’m sure they didn’t have flashlights in Equestria though. Why was I getting sidetracked?

One of my hooves bumped against another root, and I tripped over. Gasping in pain, I checked to see what root had caused my fall. Except it wasn’t a root. It was a hoof.

I screamed, and looked for where the hoof led to. There, lying two feet away, was Derpy. Her eyes were closed, and she had bruises all over her body, neck, and arms. I put a hoof to her chest, to see if she was still alive. I felt a heartbeat, and I breathed a sigh of relief. So she wasn’t dead.

But still, it was strange. It was almost as though something had beaten her, and then just left her there to die. I tried to stand up, and stepped in a slight depression in the ground. Lifting my hind leg out of the depression, I realized it looked very much like a paw print...

“RAAAAWWRR!!!”

I shrieked, and jumped back. Spinning my head to see the source of the sound, I jumped in fright as I located it. Standing only a few feet away, a giant lion roared angrily. A pair of short wings protruded from its back. A long, thin, but powerfully built scorpion tail extended from its sleek frame, and it swung the appendage about as it raged. A sharp cut had apparently gone down his belly, and the redness showed through its coat of fur.

“AAAAAAA!!!!” I screamed in return, and the lion howled in my face. Saliva and bad breath reminiscent of mushrooms billowed towards me, wetting my mane.

I had to think quickly. Chances were that the thing was going to finish Derpy off, and unless I could do something, we were both goners. I took a few steps back, and the creature tracked me with its glinting eyes.

“Hey! It’s me you want, not her!” I yelled. The creature seemed slightly confused, and continued to roar and yelp, now crashing through trees and rubbing its back over a pile of bushes.

Luckily, it wasn’t hurting Derpy, so I took the opportunity to push Derpy away. Running up to the poor mailmare, I rolled her frail body, managing to get it a little ways away from the rampaging creature.

I heard a voice ringing over the creature’s din. “Derpy!”

“She’s over here!” I cried back. The doctor’s head appeared over a pile of leaves. I suddenly felt rather elated, and I was surprised by my own emotional reaction.

“You! Come over here!” he hissed. I quickly tiptoed, or tiphoofed, over to the doctor, leaving Derpy’s body sprawled across the floor.

“I’m glad you’re ok!” I whispered, truly meaning it too. I suddenly shut up, realizing that I was not acting like myself.

“You too,” he whispered, and I felt a tinge of relief go through me. He’s thinking about me too, I thought dreamily, then shook my head. What was going on? I could barely hear what he was saying, all I could hear was my heart pounding. “...is behaving strangely.” the doctor finished.

“What do you mean?” I replied, trying not to act strange, but I knew something was coming off differently.

“It’s a manticore,” the doctor explained, “and it only does this when it’s injured. I’ll see if I can’t fix him up.” With those last words, he pulled out a strange contraption with his mouth.

“He has a gash of some sort across his belly,” I tried to help, “that might be it.”

“‘Hank you,” he said quickly, device in mouth. “Now he’ll goeth nothin!” He hopped out from behind the pile of leaves.

“Be careful!” I squeaked, and then put a hoof to my mouth. Did I just squeak? And why was I so worried about the doctor? How heroic of him to save Derpy like that, my misty mind told me. Was I getting romantically attached to him? I couldn’t be! I tried to shove away my feelings, but they only began to grow, festering in my heart. Something was wrong with me.

I forced myself to think about Derpy. Yes, Derpy, I thought. If we don’t save her, she’ll be eaten for sure! The word we echoed throughout my head again, and I tried to shake the feelings away, making me shiver. Shiver with anticipation...

The doctor passed Derpy, and crossed the dirt clearing to get to the manticore. The creature took a quick glance at the doctor, and howled, pointing its belly at the pony. The doctor turned on his device, and a light, as well as a grinding sound, emanated from the invention, and I gasped as the wound slowly sealed up, leaving no residue behind. The monster roared again, but this time, out of happiness, and began to lick the doctor. His mane was now slick with manticore saliva, and it looked positively adorable!

What? Adorable? I scrunched my face up. Adorable wasn’t in my vocabulary! Fine then, my mind said, dashing, bold, dreamy! I shook myself. No, no, no! I told myself.

“No! No! Stop!” I screamed, my attempts to push away my feelings futile. Something was wrong with me, I had never used those words before in my life, especially not for somepony else! No, no, stop thinking like that, it’s going to get you hurt, my rational side argued. No, my romantic side burst. He loves me too. How could we get hurt?

“Leafwing, are you ok?” I opened my eyes, and the doctor was right there, by my side, wild, excellent mane flowing, with the romantic musk of cherry blossoms and-

“There’s, there’s something wrong,” I coughed. How unromantic that sounded! I thought. I need to adjust my game. What game? My exasperated, losing rational side asked as it gave up.

“What? What is it?” he asked worriedly, voice dripping like honey. Now I knew that he wanted me too.

I don’t know, I tried to say, but it came out “You did it, you brave little colt.” I giggled as he removed a streak of wet mane from my face. He really was a charmer, how could anypony resist it? That action itself warranted a kiss... I dearly wanted to, but it seemed to out of place...

“Oh yeah, I did, but, why is that wrong?” he asked, unsure. His uncertainty was so charming! His voice was enchanting, and how chivalrous were his actions! How could there be anything wrong with him? His dark, desirable mane, and his sleek, sexy tail, that just screamed for attention...

“There’s nothing wrong,” I whispered sensually, looking starry-eyed into his bright irises. I only just began to see how romantic he could be, I was so blind! How could I have not seen it? We were made for each other, the doctor and me. It was fate that brought us together.

“Um, ok,” he replied. “We need to get out of...” My heart was beating like a massive drum now, and it quickly drowned out the rest of what he was trying to say. I began to pass out, he was so charming. “Leafwing, are you ok?” he asked, grabbing my head as I slumped to the floor. The feelings of euphoria and passion hitting me wave after wave were starting to wear me out as all resistance faded. “Doctor Whooooves,” I said dreamily, giggling afterwards. “I love you...”

My eyes dimmed, and, in desperation, I passionately kissed him. Fireworks of frenzied ecstasy exploded. It felt like time slowed down, making that one second a whole hour. My lips locked with his adventurous, fond ones, and my eyes locked with his, his pleasantly surprised deep oceans of blue. I could feel my wings splayed across the ground, spreading pleasure as far as it could go. I released my kiss, breathed heavily, excited heart racing a mile a minute. His passionately-hot coat gleamed, and my forelegs grasped at his neck to pull in for another kiss. But before the kiss landed, I suddenly fell into an abyss of darkness, his tender arms flailing after me...