• Published 29th Jan 2014
  • 4,002 Views, 99 Comments

Of Stars and Hearts - Bakmah Genesis



Cadence made a mistake and plans on fixing it. However, fixing this mistake will be difficult since she has to face being dethroned for what she wants.

  • ...
37
 99
 4,002

Prologue

Of Stars and Hearts

Prologue

Written by Dragon Genesis

Edited by Auramane

Weddings are supposed to be times of happiness and joy for all involved. It is one of those events where one can't help but be happy. The groom, the bride, the best men, the brides maids, the parents, and even the pony that bind the two. Each one can't help but be happy. But one mare, in one wedding, was anything but happy.

Twilight Sparkle had a forced smile on her face as she watched Cadence and her brother tie the knot, finishing the ceremony with a kiss. A small part of her wanted to object the wedding, but she didn't know the reasons behind it all so she couldn't really judge.

The lavender mare simply stood there, pretending that there was no pain, no anger, in the mare as she watched them get married for real this time. No changelings or spells attatched. It was a genuine wedding that Twilight hated, and with a passion that she masked very well.

Cadence caught her eye when she pulled back, giving a small smile. Twilight, just for a split second, let her mask drop. Her frown and eyes telling Cadence her true emotions. The pink alicorn winced and looked away, forcing a smile on her face as she joined her husband down the steps.

Twilight placed her mask back on and let her thoughts run wild in her head, her face stayed as cheerful as one would expect when their sibling is married. A thousand thoughts were thrown about, hooves of blame were pointed, and mental tears were shed as the pony's mind slowly deteriorated.

"I think we need a nice little chat, tomorrow." said Twilight as she followed the others towards the reception, her voice cold.


Cadence tuned out the conversations around her forever ago, only nodding, smiling, and sometimes laughing along at the correct times. Her mind was elsewhere as the wedding transitioned into the dinner afterwords.

The pink alicorn wondered why she was foolish and didn't tell Twilight ahead of time what was going on and why. But, then again, she barely had anytime to do anything but prepare for the wedding in the past few days before the wedding itself. Top it all off with the invasion, wedding, and possible explanation she would need to have with Twilight that night, she was going to need at least three days worth of sleep.
Her musings were cut off as Shining Armour lit his horn and gently tapped his wine glass with a nearby spoon. Once he had their attention, the stallion stood up infront of the crowd, a proud grin on his face.

"Fillies and Gentlecolts! I would like to thank you for joining us for this special occasion, despite the...set back we had yesterday." said the unicorn. Cadence willed herself to listen and silently prayed that he wouldn't end his speech the way she thought he would. "But despite all of that, I can't begin to tell you how happy I am to have my wife back by my side." Shining gestured for the mare to stand,which she did while throwing over a dozen curses mentally. And, of course, Shining ended his speech with a single kiss. Cadence quickly sent the exact amount of love required before breaking off with a fake grin.

Gods! Even during the wedding he tastes horrible! Why can't he be more like his sister? thought Cadence as she took her seat once again. As she did, the dinner officially began and the dishes were sent down the table. Cadence sighed as she watched Twilight silently dish her plate, passing the rest of the courses down without even looking at Cadence or in her general direction.

Once she had her plate dished up, Cadence went back to eating quietly, keeping an ear out for anything Shining might ask her as well as keeping an eye out for anything she might have to apply affection to. It was not her favorite job, but it had to be done if only to keep her secret a little while longer she would take the bullet.

Damn nobles. It seems like they only need a good amount of votes and they can overrule all three princesses. Doesn't help that over half are homophobes and I am a lesbian. mused Cadence. She sighed and went back to eating. The sound of giggling mares hit her ears along with a familiar laugh of a stallion. She looked up in time to see one of her least favorite nobles hitting on a group of mares at his table.

They are too cute for you, cousin. thought Cadence with a shake of her head. She could guess that Blueblood has hit on and probably laid half of the mares that sat in the room. She took a glance over at Twilight who seemed to be deep in a conversation with Shining, hiding her anger very well. God help his soul if that pompous ass tries to lay her. Then again, she did slightly wish he did for a few reasons. One was very obvious. It was going to be a long night.


Cadence stared across the room. The cake had been cut and shared, much to the disgust of Cadence. She admired Shining platonicly, but he was the worse kisser on the face of the planet. The moon had already by thrust into the sky only a hour ago when they started the actual reception.

Currently, she watched with hidden rage as her ass of a cousin leaned up against a table with his usual grin as he talked to Twilight. Said mare looked as if she was ready to rip out the stallions throat and geld him with the fork she held in her magic that was stuck in her slice of cake. Cadence took a deep breath and smiled at her husband.

"I'll be right back, love." she said in a honeyed tone. Once she turned away, she frowned and walked over to Blueblood, her magic preparing a spell as she approached him. A few things in life have ever been able to tick off the usually cheery alicorn, her cousin was one that succeeded every time, but there was only so much she could take before she felt the urge to geld the stallion.

Twilight saw Cadence coming and blinked, smirking a bit as she knew what was about to happen. She was still mad at the mare, but if she was going to rid her of the stallion at her table, she could put up with her for now before they had their chat. Approaching him from behind, Cadence finished her spell.

"You listen here, you insufferable plot hole." Growled Cadence, her voice of a deeper mare. "I know for a fact that she does not swing that way and would rather burn in Tartarus than to do anything with you. Now, kindly walk away before I take that spoon on the table and geld you right here, in front of everypony." Cadence smirked as she saw a small trail of yellow make its way down the stallions hindleg. Blueblood nodded frantically before sprinting away, a trail of pee following him.

Ending her spell, Cadence went to look back over at Twilight to find her gone. She did, however, find a small message scrawled on the table.

'You are still not forgiven.' Cadence sighed before placing her smile back on and trotting back over to her husband to excuse herself. She needed a nice long chat with Twilight. The pink mare scanned the reception area but with no luck.

There was a flash of light and Cadence turned her head to see a lavender head lay itself on a balcony above the gardens, the very balcony the two shared their first kiss only years ago. With a small smile, Cadence made her way back into the castle.


Twilight sat on the balcony looking over the gardens the reception was held in. A frown presided over her face as she watched the ponies below dance, laugh, and congratulate both the bride and the groom.

The moon was already high in the air by the time Twilight excused herself from the reception. She then decided to come up to a certain balcony with many memories held within. It was both refreshing and painful as thoughts of Cadence ran through her mind.

Her eyes searched for the pink mare that married her brother. Once her search came up empty, she had a good guess as to where the mare was, or at least where she was heading. She sighed and kept watching with a deep frown on her face.

"Thought I saw you up here." said a soft voice from behind her. Twilight chuckled.

"Wasn't really hiding. I was going to wait until after the wedding, but my questions can't really wait." said Twilight as she turned to glare at Cadence. The pink alicorn flinched at the gesture and went to stand next to her.

"You have to understand that I did what needed to be done and I had almost no contact with you for close to five months." said Cadence with a soft sigh. Twilight stared at her quizzically, waiting for her explanation.

"And what was it that needed to be done?" Asked the unicorn. Cadence sighed and sat on her haunches, making just her head visible for anyone back down in the gardens.

"The nobles are trying to keep up old traditions from hundreds of years ago. Tia and Lulu are getting looped into this and we each tried to fight it but got overruled." started Cadence.

"Basicly, we each have to marry somepony of nobility. Sadly, I could very well loose my title and gain political backlash if I admitted my sexual preference. I was forced to look over the Canterlot Nobles and I chose your brother, souly for the reason that I am very well versed with one of the family members." said Cadence with a smirk. Twilight gave a small smile.

"So, you were forced to marry Shining. But how did you two pull off that blast during the invasion?" Asked Twilight. Cadence laughed.

"I just made contact with him and added a bit of fuel to his love, but it wasn't my love for him that I used to fuel it, it was my love for somepony else." said Cadence with a big grin. Twilight giggled before wrapping her forelegs around the mare. Cadence eagerly accepted and held her close, enjoying the privacy the two had. However, Twilight frowned as a thought occurred to her.

"Caddy, how are we going to deal with this? We both know what our plans were before all of this happened." Cadence sighed and released her.

"I'm not sure. I was too scared to tell Shining because I thought he would reject when I told him I was dating his little sister. He is already aware that this was a noble enforced marriage but he doesn't know that I don't actually love him.

"Tia and Lulu are working to fix this problem by preforming a public vote. Once this happens, I can try and gently explain the situation to Shining and ask for a divorce. Hopefully, if he loves you like a brother should, he will have no problems with letting me give him up for you. I hope."

"Well, this is one heck of a problem." said Twilight, rubbing her chin with a hoof. The mare sighed and splayed back her ears, lowering her head. Thinking fast, Cadence came up with the perfect idea. Grinning, Cadence lowered her head to Twilight's ear.

"Tell you what, since Shining has to address the changeling invasion and plans to prevent further invasions, we can have an entire day alone, together, in my room." whispered Cadence. Twilight's ears perked up as crimson filled her cheeks and a goofy grin was placed on her face.

"I guess that is a good enough apology for forgetting to tell me what was going on." said Twilight, looking back to her marefriend, step-sister. Cadence put her hooves up defensively.

"Hey, as soon as I chose him the nobles were preparing us for a wedding! I barely had enough time to take a shaz let alone send you a proper letter!" Defended Cadence. Twilight giggled.

"I guess it's okay. I would have liked a heads up to create a plan, a back up plan, a contingency plan, another back up plan and-"

"I get it, love! You love to be overly prepared." said Cadence with a giggle. Twilight huffed but leaned into Cadence anyways. She searched over the crowd down below, not finding Shining Armour.

"Um, Caddy?"

"Yes, love?" purred Cadence, looking down at Twilight with a smile.

"Where is Shining?" Asked the unicorn fearfully, pointing down at the reception below. Cadence looked down towards the reception and looked for her now husband, searching. Her eyes widened as she came up empty.

"Shit! I need to go befor-" Cadence turned to run back down to the reception only to stop as she spotted Shining staring at them. Cadence blushed and stared at him, terrified. It didn't help that they were just married only a few hours ago and he finds her with his sister, acting like any other couple.

"W-what is this?!" Asked Shining, gesturing a hoof at them. His voice wasn't angry, just shocked, but it was enough to make both mares wince and look away. Both mares desperately tried to find a way to avoid the subject of their relationship.

"N-nothing." said Cadence with a forced smile. "We were just discussing the last few days and why she wasn't aware we were getting married until the day before." It was partly true. That is what they discussed, albeit with a lot more venom on Twilight's part and plenty of heart felt explaining on hers.

"But you called her 'love'." said Shining, glaring at the two of them. Both Twilight and Cadence winced as they realized that there was not much they could do to try and hide. They had a few options left, but what they used was the key.

"Uh...old habits?" Said Cadence sheepishly. Twilight fought the urge to face hoof as Shining glared at them. Cadence looked over at her marefriend, whom of which nodded and sighed as they turned towards the stallion.

"We may have been dating for the past three years, for in about a month." said Twilight, looking away from her brother. Cadence did the same to avoid his ever hardening glare.

"And you didn't tell me why?" He asked. Cadence bit her lip and sighed.

"Because I'm, gay, Shining. So is Twilight. The nobles would be calling for my crown and for her expulsion and Celestia would be powerless. Nintey percent of the noble circle are homophobes, giving them enough power to overrule the princess. We couldn't risk it." said Cadence.

"Not even when you chose to marry me?!" He shouted at her. Cadence winced as tears started to well up in her eyes. She dared to look over at the now seething unicorn.

"I was scared." She admitted, causing Shining to blink. The alicorn wiped her eyes with a feather as she continued. "I would need your blessing and I knew how protective of Twily you are. I was scared you would forbid me from her and possibly end up telling the nobles. I was too afraid to even broach the subject of homosexuality." The unicorns glare softened only a bit.

"So you were too afraid of me?" He shook his head. "What about that blast of love? Weren't you using your love for me?" Cadence shook her head.

"I just used love to help power the spell. My love for Twilight to be exact." She looked away. Twilight sat there, shifty in her spot as this all transpired. She sighed and looked up at her brother.

"Shining," she called, gaining his attention. "Please understand we didn't want any of this to happen. None of this. We couldn't do anything and were too afraid to. Please, you have to understand..."

"I understand." He said, glaring at her. "My only love never loved me back and lied to me because she was too scared that I would ruin her relationship." He sighed and turned around. "I will not forbid this, nor will I tell the noble circle, but I will be filing for a divorce the very second we get this mess figured out." The stallion stormed back into the castle, leaving the two mares to sit on the balcony. Cadence bit her lip and turned back to her marefriend.

"Come on. I think we should go rest." Twilight slowly nodded and stood to follow the pink alicorn, leaning against her side as they travelled towards the young mage's room, events from the conversation still playing in their minds. It was going to be a long road ahead.

Author's Note:

Again, I thank Auramane for taking his time to look over my mistakes. It sat in my docs for awhile, but it finally sees day!