• Published 18th Jan 2014
  • 3,571 Views, 34 Comments

An Editorial Tale - Awkward Elipsis



A mysterious pony appears in equestria and appears to be more than he seems. Especially when the princesses know him in some way.

  • ...
8
 34
 3,571

Chapter 6 - The Troll Master (Episode 3) (Edited)

It had been almost a week since the questioning with Noctus, and everything seemed to have gotten back to normal. Over the last few days, Twilight had been hanging out with friends, getting to know others of the town of Ponyville, and once in a while studying. On the other hand, Noctus had secluded himself to his room (the guest room, which is now his). Noctus, now without his powers, was determined to learn how to use magic so that he wouldn't be so helpless. So far, he had learned simple levitation, a light spell, and a scanning spell. Noctus hadn't even realized that it had almost been a week. Twilight said he should get out of the library and get to know some ponies around town. And so, here he is, walking around town while Twilight said she was going to help Applejack with some errands. Looking around, he saw a bunch of stands selling all sorts of things from flowers and produce, to tools and dishware. While looking around, he wasn't paying attention to anything in front of him, and, of course, bumped into somepony. "Oh, I'm terribly sorry," Noctus apologized, reaching a hoof out to the mare he knock over, "I wasn't looking where I was going."

The earth pony mare had a pink coat, a cyan mane and tail (which looked very well kept), and dark blue eyes. She was also wearing a white collar and headband. The mare's cutie mark seemed to be a lotus blossom.

"Oh, no problem, it's fine, I wasn't looking where I was going either," The pink earth pony mare replied, "say, you must be new to Ponyville."

"Is it that obvious?"

"A little, you were looking around as if you were seeing everything for the first time. My name is Aloe." She put a hoof out, "I work at Ponyville's only spa."

Taking her hoof, Noctus shook it, "Hi, nice to meet you, I'm Noctus."

"Hmm, Noctus, quite the unusual name."

"I'll take that as a compliment?" he said unsurely.

"Well, I must be going, I have to get back to the spa." Aloe said as she walked away. "Come and visit sometime!"

"Sure," Noctus waved, "Hmm. Quite a nice pony." Noctus then turned and continued down the street. He passed by a store that sold only Quills and Sofas, which must be a hard living. As he continued to walk through town he had noticed a building made of food. 'That must be SugarCube Corner, I guess I could also say hi to Pinkie.'

As Noctus neared the building, he could smell the sweets and pastries being baked inside. 'Wow! that smells delicious! Though it is coming from an immortal who hasn't had to eat in over 40 thousand years,' With that thought, he entered the building, only to see ponies everywhere. The line was quite the wait and each table had ponies at them. 'Well, that's quite a long queue, I hope that the food's worth it.' Once Noctus arrived at the front of the line, he saw Pinkie Pie. "Hey Pinkie, how's your job?"

"Nocty!" Pinkie Pie reached over the counter and gave him a hug, "are you finally done studying yet?"
Releasing the hug Noctus replied, "First off, 'Nocty', still sounds weird. And two, no I'm not done, Twilight just kicked me out of the library, and I've only learned the basics of magic. I got hungry so I came here to eat."

"OK. Whatcha want, Nocty?"

"Well, do you have a blueberry muffin?" Immediately after saying his order, Pinkie took out a tray with a single blueberry muffin from under the counter. "I guess you do, how much?"

"This one's on the house, since it's your first order from the SugarCube Corner."

"Oh well then, thanks Pinkie," he picked up the tray with his dark blue magic and left to find a place to eat his muffin.
"Hmm... where to sit..." Noctus spotted an open seat next to two ponies outside. He walked out of the bakery and headed towards the open seat. Getting closer he noticed that one was a blue earth pony stallion and the other was a magenta earth pony mare. "Um excuse me?" Both ponies turn to look at Noctus, "do you mind if I sit here?"

"Not at all," responded the mare, "you don't mind, right Noteworthy?"

"Nope," said the blue stallion as he continued to munch on his piece of pie, "I don't see a problem,"
Noctus sat down in the third chair,

"Thanks."

"Like we said, no problem," replied the mare, "so, are you new to Ponyville?"

"Uh, kinda, but how does everypony know that I am new here?"

"Well, Ponyville is a small town," she took a sip of her drink, "everypony pretty much knows each other here."

"Are you drinking wine?" Noctus asked looking at her glass.

"No she's not, many ponies think that, but its just grape juice." answered Noteworthy, "she used to drink wine, but she stopped after having to take care of Berry Pinch."

"Yeah, before that, I would usually get drunk on wine, and Noteworthy here would bring me back home," she admitted. "Oh, I forgot to introduce myself, I'm Berry Punch, nice to meet you."

"Noctus," Noctus finished, "it's nice to meet you as well."

"So, Noctus, why are you in Ponyville? Someone dressed like you should be somewhere like Manehattan," Berry asked.
Looking down at his hoodie, "oh, no, I'm just taking a break from work, you know, vacation."

"Ah I see, and what is your job?" she looked at his cutie mark, "that's quite an unusual cutie mark."
Looking back to his cutie mark, he saw that it was a light blue ink-feather writing in an ink that looked like a night sky full of stars. He was thankful he had been trapped as a pony with a cutie mark, it would've been so troublesome to deal with not having one. "Oh, I'm a. . . editor, yes an editor."

"Oh! that's nice, done anything well known?"

'Berry, you wouldn't believe what I've 'edited',' Noctus thought to himself, "No, nothing too popular."

"Don't worry, you'll get your big hit soon," she said as she patted Noctus on the back. After their introductions, Noctus found that Noteworthy and Berry were childhood friends, and that Noteworthy tutors while Berry owns Ponyville's brewery (which makes juices and wines). Noctus was enjoying his muffin, when he heard a crash behind him. Turning around in his seat, he saw Twilight and Pinkie on the ground. Next thing Noctus knew, Pinkie was up and screaming about bats, then suddenly began to sing. He was too far from her to hear what she was singing about. Then Rarity appeared out of nowhere and then a bunny snatched two golden things from Spike and ran over to Fluttershy. 'Where did she even come from?! If this keeps up, the whole gang will be here. Uh oh, spoke too soon.' Rainbow Dash then appeared on top of a building and glided down. 'Oh, and there's AJ. The five girls then began to surround Twilight until she screamed for them to be quiet. After that outburst, they all dispersed. Looking back to Noteworthy and Berry Punch, Noctus raised an eyebrow. Both ponies shrugged.

"From the looks of it, Twilight got some tickets or something." Noteworthy observed, "her five friends seem to be fighting over them."

"Seems like it," Noctus added, looking up at the sun, "Well, it's getting late. I'm going to head back to rest. See ya later Noteworthy. Berry." They nodded and waved as he got up and headed for Twilight's library. 'Hope I still remember where her house is... Oh wait, it's a tree. Right.

Soon after arriving at the library, Noctus used his magic to search the shelves for something to read. He found a Daring Do comic, sat in a chair, and proceeded to read it. Soon after finishing the book, Noctus heard the door open. Closing the book, Noctus looked up to see Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy all walk in. Applejack seemed to be talking to Rarity, "I was just saying that I was there before ya'll, so the tickets are mine!"

"No, they're mine!" exclaimed Rarity. They proceeded to argue with each other as they climbed the stairs to a small reading area. They walked past, not noticing a certain dark violet pony sitting there. Fluttershy noticed, but just gave a small wave and smile before continuing.

"Well that was odd. . . but why-" Noctus was cut off by a bright flash in the middle of the library. Once his eyes and ears readjusted to the change in light and high pitched pop, he noticed Twilight breaking down on the floor. ". . . Ok, what in the hay is going on here?" He turned to face the mares that weren't on the floor.

"Well, Twilight here got some tickets, and one of 'em is mine. And these girls are tryin' ta take it!" AJ answered.

"No, it was rightfully mine!" retorted Rainbow Dash. Soon the other three mares joined in on the argument and Twilight screamed again. Having enough with this idiocy, Noctus exploded (metaphorically).

"ENOUGH, YOU FIVE," he pointed at the girls. "STOP ARGUING NOW!" Turning to Twilight, "AND YOU, PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER!" He lifted Twilight with his magic and placed her on a seat, calmed down a bit, took deep breaths, but still looking incredibly angry. "Now somepony, please tell me what this is all about."

"It's about who gets to go to the Grand Galloping Gala with Twilight!" Pinkie Pie gleefully exclaimed.

"The what?" Noctus asked.

"The Grand Galloping Gala!," Rarity exclaimed, "it's only the most sophisticated, upper-class party in all of Equestira!" Noctus paused to think, then suddenly facehoofed.

"Oh my god."

"Who?" asked Rainbow Dash.

"It's called the Grand Galloping Gala now?"

"What on Equestria are you talkin' about Noctus?" asked Applejack.

"I helped create the 'Gala' you're all talking about."

"What!?" exclaimed everypony.

"Yeah. . . except back a thousand years, I was just an annual party held in the castle courtyard for all the ponies of Canterlot to attend. Even some ponies from all over Equestria came. Some freaking nobles probably changed it." he growled, "anyway, you said that you got only two tickets from Celestia," Twilight nodded. Noctus stood there in silence, "Spike. Get me a scroll and pen. I've got a letter to write."

Dear Princess Trollestia,

It has occurred to me that you have sent two tickets to Twilight to attend the Grand Galloping Gala. Knowing you, this is some elaborate scheme to teach Twilight and friends a lesson in Friendship. I was fine with ignoring it, however it is beginning to irritate me. I believe they have learned their lesson, so will you please send four more tickets already?!

From your dear old friend,

Noctus.

"There, now send it!" Noctus levitated the scroll to Spike.

"What did you write in that letter?" Twilight asked worryingly.

"Just the answers to your problems. Now just wait there." After waiting a few minutes, Spike burped up the reply in a ball of green fire. Taking the letter with his magic, Noctus unraveled the letter and began reading to himself. "Dear Noctus, it seems as though my lesson has angered you. However I am willing to believe in you that they have learned their lesson. Here are the four other invitations. Be sure to get Twilight to send a letter describing the lesson though. Oh, and by the way, I'll take that title as a compliment. Signed, Princess Celestia."

"So, what did she say?" asked Rainbow Dash. Noctus grabbed the tickets and handed them out to the other mares. "Yes!"

"There, problem solved," Noctus turned to Twilight, "Celestia also said for you to send her a letter describing what you learned today."

"Ok," she replied as they all walked to SugarCube Corner to celebrate. Noctus just laid on the nearby couch and sighed with relief. Spike stood in the doorway sighing.

"How come I don't get a ticket to the Gala."

"Trust me Spike, from how Rarity described it, it wouldn't be fun, I'm glad I don't have to go." Noctus said. Spike then burped out another letter and proceeded to read it out loud. " And one for Spike and Noctus as well,"

"Still not going."

"Also you have to come Noctus or I'll drag you here myself."

"God damn it." Noctus lifted himself from the couch.

"Who is God?" Spike questioned.

"Never mind, it's just an expression."