• Published 17th Jan 2014
  • 7,173 Views, 337 Comments

Returning Home - Ventan



Alternative dimension, everything's all whack, STORY GO! Spike finally finished a long trip to the "Cavern of Greed" and conquered his greedy demon. Now he returns home. What'll happen?

  • ...
24
 337
 7,173

Chapter 7: Spike

Hmm. Rarity looked really scared about not finishing her work. I wonder if there's anything I can do… Oh, I can just go to her and ask. Duh. Like I use to do a long time ago. Ok, then- Wha… what's with this chill… Don't tell me-

Spike got up from his seat, startling everypony from their conversation.

"I'm going to check up on Rarity," he said quickly, "do you guys mind?"

"Of course not Spike," Twilight replied, somewhat confused, "In fact, why don't we all go see her. She did look like she needed help."

"Thanks."

He quickly turned to the door.

Please… Don't tell me…

Without hesitating, he dashed out of the door, leaving the mares lost and confused. They looked at each other and a sense of worry quickly filled the room. Nodding, they ran after Spike, who had already made it to Rarity's shop. Panting in exhaustion, he took a quick breather before knocking. No reply. He knocked again, only harder and louder. No reply again. Impatient, he opened the door.

"Hello?" he called, "Rarity?"

Echo and silence was all that was heard.

"Rarity?" he called again.

Again, echo and silence was all that was heard in the shop.

She said that she would be working on the designs. How come she's not here? Wait… Her room? But it's not nice to barge into someone else's room. Then again… who said I was nice?

He dashed upstairs and to her bedroom door. He knocked on the door, waiting, hoping for an answer. Nothing.

Buck. This.

He gripped the door handle and forced the door open. His eyes widened. The window was shattered, glass shards on the ground, ponyquines were destroyed or knocked down, the bed ruined, with a piece of paper sitting on it, and worst of all: no Rarity. Rage began to fill Spike's mind, but he kept his cool. On queue, the girls came through the entrance of the shop.

"Spike?" Twilight called, "Rarity?"

"Up here…" he called back.

The mares bolted to the source of Spike's voice, and once up to Rarity's rom, they gasped at the horror. Fear slowly took their faces. Spike had his head down with a bereft expression, his fists clenched in rage. Slowly, small sparks of dragon fire formed around his fists. He was about to scream in rage before Twilight patted his back, shocking him into reality.

"We can save her," Twilight reassured, "I know we can. We just have to figure out who's behind all of this, and then save Rarity. It's going to be ok, Spike."

… Ok, Twilight. Ok…

Spike loosened his fist, and the fire slowly died out. He inhaled and exhaled. Closing his eyes, he refocused all of his senses that were blinded by his rage. Opening his eyes, he calmed down, but still had a hint of anger. The first thing he noticed was the paper on the bed. Unwillingly, he walked towards the folded paper and opened it. It was a note.

Spike,
Have you tasted a hint of rage yet? I hope you did. You want to know where your little pony is? Come meet me at our battleground. I know that you know where I'm talking about. I'll see you there, friend.

Irritated, he lit the note on fire, letting it slowly wither away in the air. With his back still turned to the confused, frightened mares, he sighed.

"Girls," he said before he walked to the broken window, "I'm going on a little trip."

Shocked and confused, Rainbow Dash asked, "Why Spike? Where's Rarity?"

"It's better if you don't know." he said, still holding his back to the mares.

"Um, is Rarity alright?" Fluttershy questioned.

"She should be." He responded, "He has no reason to hurt her."

"Who?" Applejack demanded, "Who would do such a thing?"

"It's better if you don't know," he commanded, "He's a monster and I don't want you girls involved. I don't want you to get hurt," He paused, "Because of me."

Without giving the mares time to ask anymore questions, he jumped out of the broken window and ran to the library to get ready for the "visit." He swung the door open and quickly grabbed his things: his bag, which contains the pills, his hooded cape, and his trusty sword. He was about to depart before looking back to see if there was anything he missed.

As he scanned, he saw, out of the corner of his eyes, his book. It contained all of his entries and notes, from logues about his day as a lone dragon, to his adventures into the depths where no pony or dragon had ever ventured before; from the herbs he learned, to his recipes.

Fluttershy might like it. It even has the her favorite recipes for tea. She'd like that…

Smiling one last time before departing, he gave one last look.

It's weird. I'm treating this as if it's the last time I'll ever see this place again. I'm just getting Rarity and leaving. That's all…

With that daunting thought in mind, he left the room, then the library altogether. Spike looked left and right, making sure not to run into any pony when he cast the teleportation spell. It required him to have complete and absolute concentration for the spell to work, otherwise, he would end up somewhere extremely near the start, or extremely far from his destination. He checked again before casting the spell.

Alright, let's see if I can remember the steps. 1. Concentrate on the circle. Make all the runes, symbol and markings in the circle. Don't miss a single mark, or else the it will become a whole different spell. 2. Where am I going? Focus and visualize where it is. 3. Focus on physically being there. Lastly, jump into the circle.

As spike concentrated, the ground underneath him glowed. A bright mark slowly formed around him. More showed up and formed the runes; Some formed the circle. Others made the marks and runes. With one last breath, he hopped into the circle and disappeared with a "Whoosh."

He slowly opened his eyes to the sound of birds chirping, leaves whistling in the wind, and water moving along a stream. He looked up at what was ahead of him. He gulped.

Never once did I think about coming here again. Geez. *sigh* Rarity, here I come.

Spike ran into the one place he swore never to go in again, the place he made sure to destroy himself in; the Cavern of Greed. He dashed through the long entrance of the cave. Before long, he met up with and stopped in front of the first trial: Hoard. Ready to face anything in his way to save Rarity, Spike pushed the double doors leading to Hoard. He took a few steps in before the doors shut themselves behind him. Spike didn't look back. Instead, he was focused on the being sitting in front of him: Hoard, The Storage Keeper. Known for the greed of most dragons, he took shape of anything in front of him. Before, he had looked like a large blob of meat on an orange dragon, but after he morphed his shape, he looked exactly like Spike. The room was filled with many gold coins that the greediest of dragons would beg for death just to see.

"Who's there," the Spike figure demanded. He may have looked like Spike, but his deep voice said otherwise.

"Yo, Hoard," Spike called casually, "How's it going? You've lost a few pounds."

"That voice," Hoard recalled, "Why are you here, Spike the Dragon?"

"Oh. Nice of you to remember that name. As for why I'm here-"

He unsheathed his sword and pointed the blade at Hoard.

"I'm here to get my friend back. Now move, or else I'll move that fat ass myself."

Hoard shot a booming laughter, shaking the cavern.

"Move me? Boy-"

He slowly got up from his tall, kingly chair. He slowly raised his left arm in the air and spread his palm. The gold coins levitated in the air. With one snap of Hoard's fingers, the gold coins rushed to his raised palm and eventually formed a giant, golden scythe. Spike swallowed. He had fought against Hoard and the scythe, called "Blissful Death", before. It was a scythe 5 feet in length, and the blade was 3 feet by 3 inches. It was a menacing design, with the handle curved like the blade. That was not to mention it could fire golden coins as it's projectile. In addition to it's range utility, the blade itself could cut the very air, sending pressured air at the speed of sound.

"Are you ready, Spike the Dragon?" Hoard asked.

"Yep," Spike smirked his signature grin, "Ready? Let's party!"

With that remark, Spike charged at Hoard, who had already swung his scythe, sending the first air cut. With not a moment to think, his body naturally took a sidestep and dodged the cut.

"What's wrong, Spike the Dragon?" Hoard roared as he raised his scythe, "Have you lost your touch?"

Without responding, he flashed toward Hoard. With blade at hand, he aimed to end the battle quickly, but Hoard was prepared. He had his fist ready, and swung at Spike. Spike's fast reflexes quickly saved him. He guarded with his sword as Hoard swung his fist, sending Spike into the air. With the scythe still at hand, he sent another air cutter to Spike and this time Spike couldn't dodge. The air did some damage, scratching his hard scales and cutting some flesh. He flew and crashed to the wall.

That hurts…

He slowly got up and wobbled as he stood. He peered at Hoard, who was laughing.

"What happened to you, Spike the Dragon?!" Hoard yelled, "You seem to have fallen shorter then I last remembered."

"I'm just warming up," Spike called, "Here I come!"

He spun his sword in front of him and slammed it back, burying half of the blade into the rock-hard cavern wall. He jumped onto the sword and planted his foot on the hilt. Focusing on his leg, he jumped from the sword and charged toward Hoard. He charged his hands with fire as he flew to the keeper. Hoard had already readied the scythe, and he swung it again. This time, Spike was ready. He spin-punched the air cutter, reigniting his fist with the wind's rich mana supplement from the cut. With the withdraw of the air cut, he landed and stooped to the ground, kneeling. He was only half way to Hoard, but his fists were coated in fire that was hotter then the one he used on the living plant.

Whoa! This is more than I thought! Is this the after effect of the pill?! He did say that with every use, my fire would be hotter and more potent. Well, let's see how potent!

He aimed at the floor under him with both of his palm spread out. Estimating the amount he should apply, Spike shot out a stream of fire that launched him in the air.

Yikes! I can fly?! Wait a moment… I wonder if…

With his left palm aiming down and his right palm aiming behind him, he ejected a consistent stream of flames, mainly on his right. He launched himself at Hoard, who was trying to recover from the shock. Spike was almost to Hoard. He halted the flames; propulsion was his momentum. He dove at Hoard and grabbed his shoulders. In one motion, he threw Hoard to the air as he landed on the kingly chair. Planted his feet on the chair, Spike launched himself up to the flying monster. Spike had the first say. He flew to Hoard with his right fist forward. He anticipated Spike's attack and blocked his little punch. With his fist ready, he swung at Spike, but Spike also blocked the hit. He threw a kick, but Hoard also blocked and followed up with a knee to the gut. Spike quickly punched the knee to counter the attack. Soon, it was a trade of blows and blocks until Spike did an uppercut kick to the jaw on Hoard. He was sent flying to the roof of the cave and landed head first through the ceiling. Spike saw the opportunity and charged his fire in his right fist. With each second the fire grew and grew, and every time it grew, Spike condensed it smaller and smaller till eventually it was a small orb of pure, molten heat of fire. It was so hot that even Spike can feel a small tingle from the orb. With Hoard still stuck to the roof, he decided to say his farewell.

"Yo Hoard!" Spike called, "I moved your fat ass. Cya!"

With the orb practically heating up his hand, he aimed his fist at the helpless gatekeeper. In one go, he shot the stored energy at Hoard. The recoil send Spike down and Hoard straight through the rocky ceiling and into the sky. Luckily, Spike was already descending quickly, landing on the kingly chair first. Knowing that Hoard dropped the scythe and can't do anything, he got off of the chair, brushed himself, and sat down on the mighty chair. Hoard came falling fast. Spike looked up at Hoard, then look at down at the horizon. Hoard landed on the high back of the chair with his back. Hearing a snap, Spike knew he won the fight.

And that, folks, is how you do it in style.

He got up from the chair and walked to get his sword. On his way, his foot bumped on something. He looked down to see the scythe Hoard used. Curious, he bent down and picked up the scythe. He examined the scythe for a while before flashes of memories suddenly flooded in his head. The memories showed past owners of the scythe and explained on how to wield it, how to use it, and most importantly: how to tame it. With the painful memories slowly stopping, Spike could nearly stand. He looked at the scythe he wielded. A grin slowly envelop on Spike's face. He slashed the air in a rhythmic way as he danced with the scythe. As the grand finale, he swung the scythe to the left and the right so fast that it made the illusion of demonic wings.

Blissful Death, welcome to the team.

The scythe disbursed, sending gold coins in the air and floating in place. A moment passed, and the gold coins quickly rejoined on Spike's palm. Whirling around, it slowly condensed until it was just a small handle, heavy as the scythe. He did a quick toss before catching it in mid air and sliding it in his gauntlet. Remembering his sword, he walked to where he thrusted it in the wall. It took him a while, but he managed to find it. It was as it always was; Still perfect. With a little swing for good measure, he sheathed his sword and continued on, toward the cavern's boss and where Rarity would be.

Just hang on, Rarity. I'm coming for ya.

With that, Spike sprinted down and deeper in the dungeon.

Author's Note:

1. Power typing… that's some crazy shit. O___O
2. Still Alive from Portal… I want cake…
3. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!!!!
4. New skill: Dragon Fire Cannon.
5. New weapon: Blissful Death acquired.
6. Had a long absence with this one...