• Published 18th Mar 2012
  • 15,480 Views, 1,996 Comments

I Blame You - Whitestrake



The product of my friend and I having a Skype call that went to the subject of 'What if...'

  • ...
65
 1,996
 15,480

PreviousChapters Next
In 1953, the US and UK Worked Together to Overthrow the Democratic Iranian Government

Taylor was sprawled on his back, his breath ragged and heavy. He was in incredible pain; the dryad's venom was rampaging through his body, destroying nerves and coagulating blood. His eyes remained unfocused, forever staring off into the distance without so much as a blink. Chrysalis and Karapass were were the first to his side, with Luna just behind them. Cadence was forced to stay with the CMC, tasked with holding them from something that may scar them for life. Jay and Arachni leisurely strolled down the arena's stairwell; neither saw a real reason to run. If anything, they were delaying the trip for suspense.

The Burned Man was living up to his name; rising heat had practically melted the skin of his chest. Chrysalis smashed a glass vial against one of the teen's pauldrons, spilling a greenish fluid over the affected area. It was the same salve the Canterlot nurses gave him after the invasion, three days' worth compressed into a single dosage. It would numb the burn and facilitate healing, but nothing at all for the venom sluggishly working through his body. Karapass was thankfully prepared for that. The Grand Matron's horn was encased by her magic's green glow in an instant, flickering slightly at the teen's magic-nullifying presence.

Taylor had some control over it when fully conscious, but now he was in survival mode. The wild psychic forces wrought havoc even on changeling magic, making Karapass's job much more difficult. Green energy snaked into the stab wounds, pulling of congealed masses of blood as it went. A syringe was lifted to the teen's neck, effortlessly finding a weakly throbbing vessel. The needle's semi-clear liquid flowed into the poison-filled vein. Antitoxins cleared and dissolved thrombi, but it was unknown if it was counteracting the nerve-destroying venom. A few trickles of watery blood flowed from the marks Catach made in the human's flesh.

A few feet away, Jay and Arachni looked over the dryad's corpse. An expression of horror and pain was forever etched across the acrobat's face. The broodmother solemnly shook her head, disappointed at the mercenary's untimely death. The queen's eyes remained dry, even as the flautist checked her for an emotional response. The Pyromaniac nudged the dead hermaphrodite with his foot. It went without saying that he hadn't anticipated the corpse to grab his ankle. The teen stomped on the limb hard enough for the hard bones to snap, but Arachni's magic wrapped around the human's free leg before he could do more damage.

“Hold for a moment.” The queen's muted eyes turned from Jay, instead focusing on the only slightly dead dryad. The Grand Matron hopeful grabbed Taylor discarded powersabre, setting the Imperial blade to its lowest output. Cutting almost effortlessly through the hermaphrodite's oddly tough skull, she exposed the brain. Or at least where a brain should have been. Instead of the usual mass of grey matter, there was instead a large seed surrounded by a thick web of intertwining roots that must have served as nerves. Arachni quickly plucked the strange thing from its hold. She kissed it before carefully placing it in her saddlebag.

$%$%$%$%$%$%

I was dizzy, very dizzy. Muscles screamed because of a large oxygen debt, many cells likely dead. My eyes refused to focus completely on one thing, jumping from blurred object to blurred object. The darkest blob pulled me into itself, what felt like jaws wrapped around my torso. A familiar scent filled my nose, I would recognize Chrysalis's aroma anywhere. I did my best to smile, lifting a still-shaking hand to touch what I had to assume was her cheek. My terrible eyesight and shoddy aim resulted in a painful poke in the eye, but at least I could hear her laugh.

A pair of lips met mine, drawing three sounds of disgust and three of approval from third parties. I could at least recognize them as the CMC, Cadence, and Karapass. Oddly enough, it was Scootaloo that had given her adoration; I was expecting Sweetie Belle, maybe Applebloom, but certainly not the tomboy. Another needle stuck itself into me neck, giving what I hoped was a dose of antitoxin. Quickly, the chemicals helped clear my eyes and calm my trembling limbs. The added fluids in my veins helped, but it was no substitute for old fashioned erythrocytes and plasma. As much as I enjoyed my survival, there were pressing matters at hand.

The familiar tickle of psychic energy coursed through my brain, radically different from what Celestia and Chrysalis had done to me in the past. A twitch behind my eyes slightly reduced my vision's clarity, and I can best liken it to a television's reception after someone's started to steal your cable. The analogy led me to a grim revelation: I wasn't the only one looking through my eyes. I recognized the sensation as the statue from my dreams, this Deceiver that had been pulling the strings from within a stone's throw of where myself. My greatest fear was not my strings being cut, but rather the puppeteer tugging them in such a way that I harmed my loved ones. A single twitch and he could force me to snap Chrysalis's neck, it being so tenderly wrapped in my arms.

“Taylor?” I ignored Karapass as I tried to force my own mind through the connection, reverse it the same way I had when Celestia intruded. Neither of us were using magic, as least not as Equestria knew it, so it was a complete battle of wills. In this respect, I was battling a physical god, so massive was his psychic footprint in the world around me. I heard whispers, endlessly flowing through me, swirling into a maelstrom and touching my own consciousness.

“Settle down, you're about to ruin yourself.” Chrysalis's voice was soothing to my ears, though I also heard it with my outreaching mind. In trying to penetrate the Deceiver's defenses, I had instead tapped into the smallest possible measures of the changeling hivemind. The voices were innumerable, unknowable, and overwhelming in intensity. Just as the bombardment threatened to overtake me, it ceased its invasion, the connection destroyed on the opposite end. “Feel better?”

“Yeah, but my head is fucking killing me.” I took a pretty big whack from that lizard Catach had been riding. Wait, how did I know the dryad's name? I don't recall her ever introducing herself, nor did Arachni ever mention it within earshot. But, against all logic, I had the hermaphrodite's name. “So, when do you get crowned?”

“Not until you get back on your feet.” Chrissy gave me her best attempt at a stern look, or at least a look I would obey. On that note, I immediately attempted to stand. As I planted a wobbly foot on the ground, green magic pulled me up and ruined any chance at independent movement. A pair of emerald eyes locked onto my own, the slightly out of focus orbs quickly becoming clearer than any high-definition television could ever hope to be. “Cadence, could you take him back to the room for me? I have things to take care of here.”

“Yeah, sure.” With an almost imperceptible toss, control of me was hanged to the Princess of Love. The pink alicorn quickly walked towards the suite Chrysalis and I shared.

$%$%$%$%$%$%

“You're going to get yourself killed if you keep pulling stunts like that.” Mi Amore Cadenza was not happy with my continued disregard for my own safety, and she was hardly subtle in regards to showing.

“Yeah, probably.” I rolled my eyes at the young alicorn. She was a year older than Shining Armor, yet still a child in the eyes of her immortal kin. I opened my mouth to say something else, something of dire importance, but personal experience made me stop short. “You can just drop me anywhere.”

“Something wrong?” Cadence was genuinely concerned with my well-being. It was in her nature to care about others, and she knew being obscenely reckless wasn't part of my usual behavior. Even as she unceremoniously dropped me on the large bed, there was something about her that honed in on the one flaw in my stoic armor. “You're worried about something, aren't you?”

“Yes, and let's leave it at that.” The princess was about to say something, but a sharp look cut her off. It wasn't that I had a problem asking for things that I needed when someone had the means to easily provide them, but this request was better reserved for Luna than the young alicorn. I had a rather... unique problem, and it would take a strong heart to aid me. “You aren't going anywhere until Chrysalis comes back, are you?”

“Nope.”

$%$%$%$%$%$%
Extra – Yea, we Wept as we Remembered Zion

Big Mountain was a bust, the Courier had been rather direct in her displeasure at the group's presence. It may have had something to do with Taylor calling her a spicy Latina, but that was in the past. The foursome marched on, forever in search of something in the sun-baked wastes. They were somewhere north of New Vegas, on a barely-visible trail that had only recently been brought back into use. Trixie had proposed following the Happy Trails Caravan to find New Canaan, but leave a day behind them to avoid any possible ambushes. Strangely enough, the group came to a unanimous agreement.

“Check this out.” Lyra called to the group from the top of a rocky outcropping, using her binoculars to peer into the distance. The teal unicorn had adjusted well to the harsh life in the Mojave, but she had hope to return to Equestria yet. The amateur anthropologist was positively giddy at something. The fillyfooler was practically crying with joy. The other three members of the mercenary band lifted their own field glasses, and gasps rang through the small family.

“It's raining.” Jay almost sobbed at the sight, something taken for granted back home, yet incredibly rare in the arid land. High-fives and brohooves were exchanged; the foursome practically danced with glee at the prospect of a refreshing rainstorm. With renewed vigor, they set out to reach the almost infinite horizon. The dreams of treasure forgotten in the shadow of nostalgia, Zion Valley National Park rapidly came into view.

Light raindrops pattered against power armor, almost soothing enough to lull the ragtag team to sleep. Taylor undid his helmet's hermetic seal. Chilled drops of moisture hit his shaved head, cooling his sunburned scalp. Trixie and Lyra did their best to clean the dust from their faces, using what little luxury they had found to the greatest possible extent. Jay at least had sense enough to open the group's canteens and set them skyward before beginning his own relaxation. They spent a solid five minutes cooling off before the sound of automatic gunfire reminded them of their waking nightmare.

PreviousChapters Next