• Published 18th Mar 2012
  • 15,480 Views, 1,996 Comments

I Blame You - Whitestrake



The product of my friend and I having a Skype call that went to the subject of 'What if...'

  • ...
65
 1,996
 15,480

PreviousChapters Next
Peace Treaty

This has been nagging me a bit, I Blame You has progressed much faster than The Equestrian Bloodmoon in terms of views and tracks.
How does that happen?
$%$%$%$%$%$

Twilight's library home was near the center of town, by Jay's best guess. It, like many other things, was much larger than he had originally believed. The flutist took a mental note that the books were written in English, if he was untied, he'd at least have something to read. Applejack had taken the liberty of fetching Fluttershy, she probably hadn't gotten to the cottage, yet.

Twilight ran a number of noninvasive tests on the strange creature. She found it to be oddly compliant, perhaps she had been correct in her assumption. Even if the thing didn't have true sapience, it held a passing knowledge of commands. Perhaps its owner had taught it some tricks, Twilight giggled at the thought. Regardless of its intelligence, it was a fascinating subject.

Five fingers on each hand, which ended in blunt claws, a similar arrangement on its feet, but the appendages seemed to lack advanced grip capabilities. It seemed to lack any sort of fur, save for its head, obviously this creature was not meant for colder climates. Its small nose seemed inefficient for inhaling large volumes of air, so long periods of strenuous activity were probably out of the question. But, she supposed it could just use its mouth if it needed to work a lot.

Twilight was actually concerned for the creature's health. It appeared malnourished, to say the least. The strange thing was on the low end for muscle and body fat, perhaps it was at Sweet Apple Acres in search of food. Poor thing, Fluttershy would be able to help it once she arrived.

But its external physiology failed to hold as much of her attention as what it wore. Its glasses implied a visual impairment of some sort, and perhaps an owner that knew its needs. They were made for its exclusive use, too small to do anything but rest on her snout when she tried them on. It wore clothing, but not the sort Pinkie made Gummy wear on occasion, but the sort a pony would wear. The creature was wrapped in a simple, red shirt, by her best guess, with sleeves that ended a quarter of the way down its foreleg. Arm was the appropriate term, she reminded herself, her strange subject was bipedal. Short, brown leggings, which appeared to be for mobility rather than protection, were also present, with a button and zipper too small for anypony to use, unless they were a Unicorn.

Twilight noticed the object of her scrutiny was also observing her.

“You really are pretty smart, aren't you?”

$%$%$%$%$%$

I readied my firearm, the only hostile life I had encountered in this forest was approaching. Six shots, no more, I sure as hell wasn't going to find any more bullets any time soon. In the next few moments, this environment's apex predator would face the most dangerous creature to ever walk to earth. The best emerged from the brush, carrying something in its mouth. Something bloody and moving, just barely. The manticore held its head low, a submissive gesture, if I recalled my brief study of predatory behaviors. It dropped the bloody thing a few feet from me, my pistol was trained on it the entire time.

It quickly backed away, seeing if I accepted. It was a peace offering of sorts, a gift of food in exchange for a ceasing of hostilities. I didn't want to seem rude, so I approached its present. Satisfied with my compliance, my new, feline friend took its leave. Now I had to figure out what the fuck it just gave me. I almost didn't want to believe how many physiological oddities the injured thing had going on.

It was an equine, with a shorter snout than one would expect to find on a horse. Hell, the whole thing looked like a mare in miniature, only less... horse-like, more human, if that made sense. A horn jutted from its head, I found the thought of a Unicorn amusing, I might just keep this thing. I couldn't much more than that, except for the fact that the manticore had neglected to kill it before giving it to me. The poor thing shuddered in pain, but made no noise to signal discomfort.

Its injuries weren't that extensive, just some cuts, plus the punctures from the manticore's teeth. I knew enough first aid to help it, maybe even save it, with what I had on me. First, I’d need a water source to clean its injuries, and maybe the entire horse. It was surprisingly light, despite the fact that it would reach my waist if it stood on all four hooves, maybe around one hundred and ten pounds.

There was a stream nearby, I’d heard it on the way back to my truck. The water was cool and clear, this would be adequate for what I needed it for. I dipped my undershirt into the stream, and went to work. Using the fishhook and line, I stitched its cuts, and bandaged the punctures with strips I made from cutting that same undershirt. That's odd... this thing's fur is blue, am I in Japan? Because that would make sense, it explains things a little too well.

I decided to finish my job of cleaning the little horse. Its fur was indeed blue, with its mane a being a lighter shade. I scrubbed most of the blood out, it would need another washing before it'd be clean. I started to wash its stomach and hind legs, after all they were cut pretty badly. My hand brushed against somethi... well, no doubt now, this is a mare. I turned the strange, blue mare over to continue, brushing that little incident out of my mind.

Blue, blue, and more blue. After I got used to the odd color of her fur, nothing really surprised me. Hold the phone, whats that? It looks like a tattoo. Why would a horse have a tattoo? That's just silly. The design was of a crescent moon and wand topped with a star. Wait a goddamned minute, that's no fucking tattoo. That's a Cutie Mark if I ever saw one. Everything suddenly made perfect sense: I had somehow managed to transport myself to Equestria, with Jay tagging along. If that was true, then this was the Everfree Forest, which explained the manticore.

That meant Purple Blob could have been Twilight, and Orangey may have been Applejack.

I just saved a pony's life, holy shit, that feels amazing to think.

Blue coat with a lighter blue for a mane... I just saved Trixie's life.

Not sure how I feel about that, yet.

%$%$%$%$%$%

Fluttershy's examination was thorough, well, as thorough as she could be without prior knowledge of what she was looking at. She claimed it was in good health, but might be tired, so rest was recommended. The creature hadn't given Fluttershy much attention, its focus being held by something else.

Twilight followed its eyes. They made a pattern: left, jump right, drop, repeat. These were made from her point of view, so she just had to reverse it. She came to a realization: it was reading! The specific book was one on Equestrian history and legends, the particular passage was about Nightmare Moon, an odd choice for reading material. Twilight had an idea.

“Fluttershy, could you take the rope from its mouth?” Twilight Sparkle wanted to know what was going on. Right now.

PreviousChapters Next